4 wheel drive problems

Ok, just that I actually own both Cherokee and Wrangler and I even have both parked on my driveway at this moment and both got same motor 4.0L. Both uses same oil filter, I always buy two PH-16 for both of them. How could I be wrong if I own both at same time?

I am not going to discuss this with you any further. All I have to say is I know what I know....

I think I found the leak. First off the radiator cap is bad and I have a replacement for it. I noticed some wet metal around the thermostat housing and replaced the thermostat and gasket cause why not if I take it off. Well when I put it back on and started the car coolant started spraying everywere. When I took the cover off a chunk fell off the bottom. I don't know if I screwed something up or if it was already cracked.

Oh no, damn.... sound like a thermostat drop from 2nd boss while you install
outlet housing. Did you feel crack when you tight bolts? No surprise many novice techs screw up broken T-stat outlet housings. I did it before. No worry.
If you see broken or cracked T-stat outlet housing, buy a new outlet housing. Try to clean 2nd boss where thermostat is place in the 2nd boss, real clean and glue edge of a thermostat with yellow weatherstrip advestive like 3M, glue it lightly and wait few minutes then place it in 2nd boss and hold it for few minutes. If T-stat is glued well then install a new outlet with new gasket. The 2nd boss is at the cylinder head. Hey, scrape old gasket off from the head and sand it with course grit sandpaper like diehardbiker says.

Yeah, I cracked once long time ago, lesson learn from that.

I believe that T-stats housing on that motor (4.0L) is very common and easily replaced. I haven't cracked the housing for years (knocking on wood), so I have no idea how common the replacement is.

I wouldn't try scrap 100% all of the remains. I would like go for 95-98% leaving some because if scrapping too much metal off, then damage can be done on motor or the head.

Oh no, damn.... sound like a thermostat drop from 2nd boss while you install
outlet housing. Did you feel crack when you tight bolts? No surprise many novice techs screw up broken T-stat outlet housings. I did it before. No worry.
If you see broken or cracked T-stat outlet housing, buy a new outlet housing. Try to clean 2nd boss where thermostat is place in the 2nd boss, real clean and glue edge of a thermostat with yellow weatherstrip advestive like 3M, glue it lightly and wait few minutes then place it in 2nd boss and hold it for few minutes. If T-stat is glued well then install a new outlet with new gasket. The 2nd boss is at the cylinder head. Hey, scrape old gasket off from the head and sand it with course grit sandpaper like diehardbiker says.

Did you scrap off the old gasket and replace with new gasket? Or you used gasket sealant with old gasket when reinstall them?

failure to do that will surely cause more leaks. Always replace gasket with fresh one every time the thermostat housing is removed. Do not use gasket sealant with new gaskets.
You are correct about the gasket sealant to coat the new gasket. RTV sealant on new gasket is no no no. Cuz the chemical formula in RTV sealant can make new gasket soft and leaking easy. Best way to use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to tack on gasket lightly and place it on the outlet housing but some T-stat gasket come with self adhesive. If old outlet housing used, buff old gasket/corrison off.
wipe mating surfaces with brake cleaner and coat with grey RTV sealant and install it without gasket. I did them many time. No comebacks. My sercet cooking receipt. lol

Some Jeeps have AWD and part time 4x4 both. He could very well have both AWD and 4x4.

Jeep have both AWD and 4x4?

AWD don't have " transfer case" It's direct from transmission for four wheels unlike 4x4.

Where can I find a info for Jeep have AWD have both AWD and 4x4?

You are correct about the gasket sealant to coat the new gasket. RTV sealant on new gasket is no no no. Cuz the chemical formula in RTV sealant can make new gasket soft and leaking easy. Best way to use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to tack on gasket lightly and place it on the outlet housing but some T-stat gasket come with self adhesive. If old outlet housing used, buff old gasket/corrison off.
wipe mating surfaces with brake cleaner and coat with grey RTV sealant and install it without gasket. I did them many time. No comebacks. My sercet cooking receipt. lol

I am agreed with you! I hate RTV sealant because it have leak issue and can't start engine for around 1-3 hours after installed the RTV sealant. I prefer gasket for less time and quick job.

Looks like alot confusion here. Cherokee (XJ) AND Grand Cherokee (ZJ) are NOT the same vehicle. Cherokee is far more reliable than Grand Cherokee. I wish that I would be wrong on this one. SMH, Yes, Wrangler and Cherokee shares same motor while Grand Cherokee has bigger motor ( believe 4 different size motors for Grand Cherokee, while Cherokee/Wrangler(TJ, not JK) uses two different motors)

If you still think Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are same thing, get yourself a pair of glasses and check these pictures.

Cherokee (XJ)
Cl_Jeep_Cherokee_01.jpg

Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
09-_1998_Jeep_600p.jpg

Both Jeeps in picture are same year, the Cherokee (Purple) is what I have and it was darn reliable. Friend of mine had Grand Cherokee and it was 2002 and it got full of problems and has not hit 100K miles. He told me Cherokee that he used to own is far better than Grand Cherokee.

AMC* 4.0L is the best engine Detroit ever built, the problem is emission control, it ranked the worst. No wonder why there is so much power in 4.0L HO.

*AMC as American Motor Corporation, bankrupt back in 1979, sold Jeep division to Chrysler around 1980's

I am agreed with you for everything. I don't heard any one have issue with Cherokee so far unlike Grand Cherokee. I used factory scan tool on Grand Cherokee once and oh my god. It have over 20 PCM/BCM (I think).

I think your are thinking right. I couldn't recall Jeep offering AWD. I know they do offer full time 4x4 and it is not same as AWD. Generally Jeep tend to offer Part-time 4x4.

Honestly, I was thinking of Compass, so I checked out, it is not AWD, it is part time 4x4.

AWD don't have " transfer case" It's direct from transmission for four wheels unlike 4x4.

Yeah, I have met many former Cherokee owners, they all regretted sold them while I have not met any Grand Cherokee ex owner having regret sold them. Actually, the opposite. I was so hesistated into buying Grand Cherokee as next family SUV. I haven't decided and I am waiting for another 3 years to see how Jeep fare in the end. I am still pissed off they stopped making the best damn SUV known as Cherokee. I am still keeping my Cherokee as long as I can, and have no plan to sell it to anyone except junk yard.

Personally, I am hoping that I will buy Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK) with 4 door, Rubicon editon. The issue is the motor, I am not comfortable with these new motors. Wish they keep 4.0L. If they actually improved motor quality then I will give go ahead. But the next choice would be Ford F-250 powerstroke Diesel. I have checked other SUV and pu truck, even Nissan Frontier which I find impressive yet was not sure if it fits me and my family. The goal is to buy next family vehicle and keep for 15 years. That way, I could get third one after 5 years which probably 70's CJ-5. I have been drooling over my neighbor's shining apple red lifted 1979 CJ-5. Damn beautiful Jeep.

Seriously, I was at camp few days ago up in the Adirondack mountains, mind that no Cherokee is any younger than 9 years old and I still see alot Cherokees running strong up there. Unbelieveable. I was told that 93 and 94 Cherokee is now classic and is best year of all Cherokee years, mine is 98.

I am agreed with you for everything. I don't heard any one have issue with Cherokee so far unlike Grand Cherokee. I used factory scan tool on Grand Cherokee once and oh my god. It have over 20 PCM/BCM (I think).

Are you sure you own Grand Cherokee?

This is not about you or me, anyways. This is about the OP's issues. We don't need to get into a BS "I know better than you" war here. It's almost like having a penis size competition. If you want to hash this out, take it to the PM's.

I have not said anyone that they are wrong. Just that I sense some confusion. No one is perfect.

Often people confuses between Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, thinking they are the same thing which in reality it is not. Even sometimes when I need to order, they got wrong parts. I had to tell them no, this is not Grand Cherokee. Oh well.

I see that you owned Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, then great. :)

This is not about you or me, anyways. This is about the OP's issues. We don't need to get into a BS "I know better than you" war here. It's almost like having a penis size competition. If you want to hash this out, take it to the PM's.

I've driven the 2010 Grand Cherokee, it's nice but not for me. It's pretty powerful V6 engine also my parent rented a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee when we went to Yoesemite. :) It was nice!

I know what you mean, the power is awesome.

I've driven the 2010 Grand Cherokee, it's nice but not for me. It's pretty powerful V6 engine also my parent rented a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee when we went to Yoesemite. :) It was nice!

My girlfriend's Jeep has SelecTrac (I think) transfer case. Options are:
  • 2wd
  • full-time 4wd. Same as AWD. Can be used on/off pavement and has a central differentail. This is high range only (as far as I know).
  • 4x4. This locks the center differential and is for off-road and only for part time use. This is both high and low range.
It's a 2002 Grand Cherokee. Has the 4.0l engine. I don't think it is very uncommon for Grand Cherokees and Cherokees to have this type of transfer case.

No.

Again, Are you sure you own Grand Cherokee or not?

Back