3-Way call

ChelEler

Reaction score
How can I make a "three-way call" with VP? I have Sorenson VP-100. I'm curious how I can make a call to one person and then connect another person onto the same phone line. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

You can't. The technology behind making a call to see two other people on one video screen requires everyone to log into a central server or "gateway." That way, you still see one video screen, but the server will combine the other two people's images into one screen and then send it to your VP for you to see.

VP technology isn't meant for viewing two separate video streams at once. It's impossible to do a three way call just like hearing people do with their telephones.

Very interesting.

What about if the other person (normal hearing one) wants to make a 3-way call with me (me through Sorenson VP) and another person (probably normal hearing one)? Is that possible?

If a hearing person wants to talk to both a hearing person and a deaf person through a sign language interpreter via videophone, then, yes, a hearing person can do so.

On top of that, a hearing person can talk to two deaf people via VRS by using 3 way calling to 2 VRS services. So, yes, hearing peple can do a lot with their telephones that VRS can't do right now.

Maybe some day it may happened but u know the technology is booming alot and growing faster then you realize.

Dennis said:
If a hearing person wants to talk to both a hearing person and a deaf person through a sign language interpreter via videophone, then, yes, a hearing person can do so.

On top of that, a hearing person can talk to two deaf people via VRS by using 3 way calling to 2 VRS services. So, yes, hearing peple can do a lot with their telephones that VRS can't do right now.
Oh ok... great. Thanks for the information! :thumb:

If you're using a computer with a webcam, there are several software packages that allow for videoing with more than one user at once, but you all have to be using the same software. So, no VP to 2 iChat people, or 2 VP to 1 Sightspeed user, for example.

iChat is one. Sightspeed is another, for the PC. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

ChelEler said:
How can I make a "three-way call" with VP? I have Sorenson VP-100. I'm curious how I can make a call to one person and then connect another person onto the same phone line. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

with VP 200 you can!!! i am getting it in the fall.. YAYYY!:dance2: it depends on where you are--- you will get it (it will be replaced with VP 100)

FeistyChick said:
with VP 200 you can!!! i am getting it in the fall.. YAYYY!:dance2: it depends on where you are--- you will get it (it will be replaced with VP 100)
Awesome!! Thanks.

Psst: off the topic, are you the chick I know few years ago?? ;)

FYI, your half right and half wrong.
The half right is that it is true that there is no way we can do 3 way call on same VP unit. However I have done 3 way conversation though VP. The only way you can accomplish this is to get another VP unit, and another TV set. Then tweak the upload speed on both VP unit so that both of unit upload speed don't exceed the maximum upload speed allowed by your broadband IPS. Some ISP offers far better upload speed limits than others. Mine isn't good... Even though my ISP limits my upload speed at 392KPS. in order to solve this problem. Most VP can handle as low as 125KPS (I tested it) So, since I have 392kps upload speed I set both of my VP upload speed at 192k as maximum send speed.
Most broadband ISP offers you much lower upload speed than download speed. I know one ISP in Illnois, Indiana, and Ohio (WOW, Inc.) offers awesome speed, download 3mbps(3,000kbps) and 1mbps (1,000kbps) upload. that means you can run 4 VP though them without problem! But still limits 3 because they only give you three IP addresses. I don't know if they would offer you more IP addresses at additional charge. Where I live, Time greedy warner don't offer as good as WOW, Inc. :( Yet I still can do 3 way conversation.

Dennis said:
You can't. The technology behind making a call to see two other people on one video screen requires everyone to log into a central server or "gateway." That way, you still see one video screen, but the server will combine the other two people's images into one screen and then send it to your VP for you to see.

VP technology isn't meant for viewing two separate video streams at once. It's impossible to do a three way call just like hearing people do with their telephones.

That's not a 3-way call because the two people you're talking to can't see each other or talk to each other.

I don't believe that the VP-200 can do a 3-way call without a central server mixing and managing the video streams. So, until someone posts proof of 3-way video calls on the VP-200 in action, it's not possible. I've seen high end VP conference calls in action, and none of them were mutli-point without a gateway server.

Your mistaken! I have done that ALREADY! I can see two of my friends talking to each other and they can see me talk to other friend too! I have actually successfully made three way call on VP few times! Wanna see proof? Come over here and see for yourself.

Dennis said:
That's not a 3-way call because the two people you're talking to can't see each other or talk to each other.

I don't believe that the VP-200 can do a 3-way call without a central server mixing and managing the video streams. So, until someone posts proof of 3-way video calls on the VP-200 in action, it's not possible. I've seen high end VP conference calls in action, and none of them were mutli-point without a gateway server.

VideoSight2.5 u can call 2 different calls one on computer and another call on VP 100, but 3?! dunno

Back