23andme health result did NOT show any variants for Hearing Loss, I'm Deaf. Possible Causes?

Rachel Serrano

Reaction score
So I did a 23 and me health and ancestry report. I was particularly interested in the health report because it shows what variants you have for any specific diseases. I thought since I am the only one in my very BIG extended family that is deaf, that it maybe I had a recessive gene. But that isn't the case. I also have progessive hearing loss, I had close to normal hearing as a child and now at 32 I'm deaf.
Does anyone know non congenital causes that cause hearing loss in a progressive way?
I know it's not my brain because I had an mri when I was a teen and the doctor said it looked normal.
Any information or link or book tips would be really appreciated.
Thanks!!

for mine, it was my mother's smoking during her pregnancy *that stuff can damage a baby's auditory nerves so that's why mine is a little bit fucked*

So I did a 23 and me health and ancestry report. I was particularly interested in the health report because it shows what variants you have for any specific diseases. I thought since I am the only one in my very BIG extended family that is deaf, that it maybe I had a recessive gene. But that isn't the case. I also have progessive hearing loss, I had close to normal hearing as a child and now at 32 I'm deaf.
Does anyone know non congenital causes that cause hearing loss in a progressive way?
I know it's not my brain because I had an mri when I was a teen and the doctor said it looked normal.
Thanks!!
Congenital CMV, ototoxic medication, a not yet discovered recessive gene.

It could be numerous of reasons... sick, maybe an ear infection, perhaps too much ear waxed? lol... sorry inside joke... :D DId you hit your ear with something or your head? Maybe a bug crawled in your ear. Sorry, I know I sound silly.. Just thinking of ideas that could help you narrow down the reasons... Perhaps The man upstairs just wanted you to be deaf :D Maybe ... you are losing hair in your ear. I dont have hardly any in my ears, the hair in your ears are very important as it helps you hear sounds. Hope you find your answers.

They don’t test every possible mutation and for hearing loss there are thousands of possible mutations.

Thanks!!
There are thousands of mutations that can cause hearing loss. An MRI won’t tell you if your brain it working correctly. 23&mre states specifically that they are NOT a diagnostic service.

Around 120 genes are tested for by this company (http://personalizedmedicine.partner...ar-Medicine/Tests/Hearing-Loss/OtoGenome.aspx) but seeing a geneticists framiliar with hearing loss is much more likely to turn up something useful.

Also, since you are the ONLY person in your family with hearing loss, you may have been exposed to a disease in utero that caused your hearing loss. Or it is just chance.

Thanks!!
Were you or are you on any medications? Many are ototoxic.

My Deafness is related to Usher Syndrome carrier, so $100 extra test isn't going to tell you if you have Usher Syndrome or RP carrier, neither is most deafness and hard of hearing carrier because they cost over $3,000 or more, so they can be covered with health insurance if it is necessary.

I'm sorry to hear, that can come from the mother and her pregnancy, then it gets worse over time. When you reach the 30s, your ears can't stand anymore and they collapsed.

I'm sorry to hear, that can come from the mother and her pregnancy, then it gets worse over time. When you reach the 30s, your ears can't stand anymore and they collapsed.
that's a good point too! we didn't know about that until she was dxed in 2014.

Back