21, Female, Long Island

BrianneLuz

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Brianne, and I live in Suffolk County, Long Island. Long story short (because explaining my journey of trying to learn ASL could be a little lengthy), I'm very serious about learning ASL, but I don't know anyone who is deaf or learning ASL, which makes it nearly impossible to really practice and improve. I do have a Skype: BrianneLuz, and Glide: BrianneLuz, but I would be extremely happy if anyone who lives in Suffolk County like I do would be interested in meeting up sometime :) I also frequent Brooklyn, NY, so if there's anyone who lives there also, I'd be glad to meet you. :wave:

Last edited:
Welcome to all deaf brianne
Great you want to learn ASL
Wicked girl......

Last edited:
Pretty many deaf people who lives in Long Island or brooklyn. Maybe start with voluneeter to check out Clearly school for the deaf school or mill neck manor for the deaf school? :dunno2: I used to live in commack ny. :)

Pretty many deaf people who lives in Long Island or brooklyn. Maybe start with voluneeter to check out Clearly school for the deaf school or mill neck manor for the deaf school? :dunno2: I used to live in commack ny. :)

Thanks for the advice! I have reached out to Cleary School For The Deaf, and haven't heard back yet. I would really like to volunteer there , so hopefully they do respond soon. I can't remember if I reached out to Mill Neck.. I will look back in my emails to see. Wish you still lived in Commack! I'm in Ridge. Thanks again!

http://www.limeinterpreting.com/index.html

I found this web site , I have no idea how far or close it's to you but you
could call and see if they can tell where to go if it too far from you.

I really appreciate you looking into that for me! I reached out to them about two days ago. They referred me to a community college around where I am. I am trying to see if I can take a few classes there, but I am already enrolled in a 4 year college, so it might be difficult.

I grew up on Long Island. I live in upstate now. I will find out if there is any Deaf event next month for you.

I grew up on Long Island. I live in upstate now. I will find out if there is any Deaf event next month for you.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I've been searching and so far have found nothing. Closest events are in Manhattan but that's a little far for me to get to weekly.

Howdy!

Welcome!

If you're a Churchgoer yet not bound to a specific congregation: check out churches which provide ASL-interpreted services.

I am Latin Mass Traditionalist Roman Catholic but I believe I have identified a local Novus Ordo Mass which is not only interpreted, but adverted as having an ASL coffee social following Mass.

I'll have issues with what I see as 'Modernism', but there are no signed Latin Masses in my area.

(Who would need it? Even hearies don't usually know what's happening during a Latin Mass. :laugh2::ty::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah, that's a Catholic thing. If you're Protestant, you might not understand).

Anyhow: there's a suggestion for you.

Howdy!

Welcome!

If you're a Churchgoer yet not bound to a specific congregation: check out churches which provide ASL-interpreted services.

I am Latin Mass Traditionalist Roman Catholic but I believe I have identified a local Novus Ordo Mass which is not only interpreted, but adverted as having an ASL coffee social following Mass.

I'll have issues with what I see as 'Modernism', but there are no signed Latin Masses in my area.

(Who would need it? Even hearies don't usually know what's happening during a Latin Mass. :laugh2::ty::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah, that's a Catholic thing. If you're Protestant, you might not understand).

Anyhow: there's a suggestion for you.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will definitely look into it. I know I'm not at the point where I can look at an interpreter and understand everything he/she is saying without subtitles or voice, but I'll look into a church that maybe has a meeting afterwards for deaf people to hang out together, like you mentioned above. I know if I went to church for the ASL practice, I'd be super distracted by the ASL and trying to decipher everything that I would miss the entire point of the sermon lol. Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! I've been searching and so far have found nothing. Closest events are in Manhattan but that's a little far for me to get to weekly.

I found one Deaf event in Suffolk county. I attached the flyer to this post. Click on it.

Attachments

• Cleary.jpg
    Cleary.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
Back