2-year-old saves twin brother trapped under dresser

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Full video here from YouTube:

OREM, Utah - A father from Utah posted a heart-stopping video to YouTube, showing one of his 2-year-old twin boys lifting a dresser off the other boy.

"I've been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it's not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible," Ricky Shoff wrote on Facebook. "We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share.

The 47-second video that was captured on a nursery surveillance camera shows one child underneath the dresser, while the other child works to lift the dresser off him. He walked around, tried to lift the dresser, then pushed it off his brother.

The child was crying but appeared to be okay.

"We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock," Shoff wrote. "And feel blessed that he is okay. Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/2-year-old-saves-twin-brother-trapped-under-dresser

As a mom, I cringed to watch this and want to rush to help out. It looks like Hemnes dresser from IKEA. We have a Hemnes dresser for our bedroom. Luckily, those drawers are empty plus the ball helped out, too. I bet he had a major headache! I am glad Ricky Shoff posted it to send messages. That was brave of him to do that. If you want a dresser for your toddler, naturally, IKEA is the most popular choice because they're affordable, but the problem is they are made of MDF, which is lighter and cheaper.

I try to shop for real furniture on craigslist or go to garage sale. I will have to sand it and stain it which is a pain in the butt. Blah!

Last edited:
Why aren't adults watching the kids?? I'm glad the kid is ok.

Why aren't adults watching the kids?? I'm glad the kid is ok.

According to CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/03/health/two-year-old-rescues-brother-video/index.html

It wasn't until the boys' mother, Kayli, woke up later and checked a surveillance camera that she saw the dresser on the floor.
She went to check on the boys, and "there wasn't a scratch" on either of them, her husband said.

The father says the dresser in his boys' room was manufactured by Ikea. The Swedish furniture company made news last month when it paid $50 million to the families of three boys killed by its Malm line of dressers.

Ikea spokeswoman Mona Astra Liss told CNN that the company is working to confirm whether Ikea made the boys' dresser.

I am certain IKEA will confirm it's a Hemnes dresser. I got a Hemnes dresser nearly 10 years ago and they came with anchors for child safety. I saved them.

I suspect the twins sleep in downstairs bedroom, because they are accessed to the TV room or the game room. It might explain she didn't hear them. In Utah, many kids and college students usually sleep in the bedroom downstairs.

I thought this whole thing was purely stupid -- on the parent's side. Everyone knows kids climb, jump, move around, and run. So all furniture for them must allow for such movements. Hence the anchors for child safety on many items. These parents did not stop to think about child safety. Whether they merely wanted money or just didn't stop to think about the safety levels in the twins' room, I don't know. Parenting is tough, we all make mistakes, but when it comes to child safety, we need to keep one step ahead.

No.. I suspect they WILL be revisiting how things are set up for childproofing.

I read a story where they were all sleeping but the boys woke up and decided to play earlier than usual. the baby monitor is of course always on but apparently the mother didn't hear anything unusual going on or any loud noises. As I understand/read it- it was a period of 7 minutes or so between them playing, him getting the dresser off and the parents seeing it. I doubt they want the money for goodness sake... I am sure they childproofed to the best of their ability- not everyone thinks to secure a dresser unless you live in an earthquake zone.

Now I know why they were hesitant to post to bring attention to properly securing things.... it's people like the above and everywhere screaming that the parents (Mother) were bad bad parents to even allow it to happen.

Things like this always happen... back when I was a kid we didn't HAVE baby monitors... kids fell out of bunk beds, climbed on bookshelves, dressers etc... fell off changing tables (story has it I did this)

From the first time I saw it I have wondered if the dresser isn't new and the boys just got to it before they got a chance to finish setting things up. You will notice the the drawers are empty which I doubt would be the case if it was truly in use.

I am showing my age but think that a good part of the general problem comes from the switch from solid wood to these other light products for the construction of things like dressers.

I am another one born before all the tech in this story. There certainly weren't baby monitors and MDF dressers when I was born in 1942! But, I don't remember ever being told stories about what I climbed on or fell off of either.

No.. I suspect they WILL be revisiting how things are set up for childproofing.

I read a story where they were all sleeping but the boys woke up and decided to play earlier than usual. the baby monitor is of course always on but apparently the mother didn't hear anything unusual going on or any loud noises. As I understand/read it- it was a period of 7 minutes or so between them playing, him getting the dresser off and the parents seeing it. I doubt they want the money for goodness sake... I am sure they childproofed to the best of their ability- not everyone thinks to secure a dresser unless you live in an earthquake zone.

Now I know why they were hesitant to post to bring attention to properly securing things.... it's people like the above and everywhere screaming that the parents (Mother) were bad bad parents to even allow it to happen.

Things like this always happen... back when I was a kid we didn't HAVE baby monitors... kids fell out of bunk beds, climbed on bookshelves, dressers etc... fell off changing tables (story has it I did this)

People CLAIMING it's a hoax. Whether or not it is... i don't know and the story itself doesn't say one way or another as there's really no hard proof other than people's say-so. Who the father works for shouldn't matter.

A lot of IKEA's stuff - or at least the newer crap like dressers is made of lighter wood/material. The giant bookshelves I have (something like 7ft tall) is heavy but I'm not sure HOW heavy.. but.. easy enough to fall over (and nearly have a few times).

Just love how people want to call everything out there a hoax or fake these days without giving a benefit of a doubt. I do think there is stuff out there that are hoaxes or fake but this one I don't think so.

Back