2 parents with newly diagnosed deaf baby

is hundreds of kids. that is as big a study as is possible, there just aren't that many kids to study.

every hospital is going to have some rich and some poor kids. you say the same bullshit about "over-involved , rich parents" but you have nothing but your spewing hate to back it up.

this was a good study, following kids of all methodologies, for several years. It includes timelines and outcomes for all the kids not just the stars. it even includes the preimplant information about the groups. you just like what it says because it challenges for preconsieved ideas and that scares you.
Where do you get hundreds of kids from? We are talking about the population from ONE hospital. ONE! I remember back before implantation was more strict, someone at DumbNotes posting the numbers of the number of implants that had been done at a prestigious hospital. It was quite small. Although implantation restrictions have been loosened, they're still rather strict. Yes, it's not a study from some hospital that has a small CI program. But neither is it national. It's the results from ONE. ONE. (and it's also from an area that's quite wealthy) I'm not anti CI or anti oral speech. It's just that you don't understand very well about sociological influences having an impact on stuff like this.
Bear in mind there have ALWAYS been "superstars"
Also, the increased "sucessfully oral kids may be due to the loosening of the implantation restrictions. Not to mention there's still kids who are going to be
They also do not explain what criteria they used to define " supports etc."
Besides this is still a very preliminary study. Wait til the kids are a bit older. yes, their spoken language abilty is good. But that doesn't mean that it will be good all across the line. If I recall correctly its actually quite common to see *gasp* "TERPS at AG Bell conferences! Many kids may discover ASL and Deaf culture (as shel, me and countless others here did) Even with the hearing aid auditory verbal results, there were still kids who discovered ASL and Deaf culture. Matter of fact, its actually very common for AG Bell kids to go off to college at *GASP* NTID. It's too soon to tell. Heck I bet in a few years, we'll have a bunch of parents asking why their kids aren't thriving in their mainstream (regualr school regular class with minimal accomondations) placement. They'll send their kids off to deaf school and the cycle will repeat itself!

To be fair, sometimes I wait a week or two after introducing myself... just to see what the responses to my thread is like on a new forum.

Anyway, it's all about tacts and careful wordings.

Like this post:

This post is patently untrue. Hearing with a CI is very very good. Most children with CI's hear in the "normal" range and don't lipread. Also, the vast majority grow up learning no sign, but instead listen and speak.

I recomend ASL for many reasons, but NOT because CI`s don't work.

can be rephrased to:

This post is patently untrue. Hearing with a CI can have very good results. Many children can hear in the "normal" range without lipreading.

I recommend ASL for many reasons, but not just because of potential failure of CIs.

Same message, but doesn't contain as many triggers for debates, which was the reason why I omitted the fourth sentence-- because it's a huge trigger. When in doubt, use a passive voice.

Anyway, it takes two to tango... or in this case, a group to do the conga line.

To be fair, sometimes I wait a week or two after introducing myself... just to see what the responses to my thread is like on a new forum.

Anyway, it's all about tacts and careful wordings.

Like this post:

can be rephrased to:

Same message, but doesn't contain as many triggers for debates, which was the reason why I omitted the fourth sentence-- because it's a huge trigger. When in doubt, use a passive voice.

Anyway, it takes two to tango... or in this case, a group to do the conga line.

I do agree with most of your alterations, but not the last sentence. It seems to imply that most implants do fail to provide the results I stated.

Oh, and why does only the voice of dissent have to "what what they say"? DD's posts (and others) are full of antagonistic phrases and sterotypes, and falsehoods.

I hope that julesallen returns. This community has been instrumental and invaluable in helping me adjust to late deafness. I know that this community has a lot of support and caring to offer julesallen.

Maybe we should have a designated place where parents of newly identified deaf children may post introductions at which no discussion of CI is allowed? A place limited to offering our welcome and support only? We already have plenty of CI threads for new members to read at their convenience.

Julesallen, congrats on your wonderful baby! Babies who are well loved thrive and the other details work out. Enjoy your baby!

I hope that julesallen returns. This community has been instrumental and invaluable in helping me adjust to late deafness. I know that this community has a lot of support and caring to offer julesallen.

Maybe we should have a designated place where parents of newly identified deaf children may post introductions at which no discussion of CI is allowed? A place limited to offering our welcome and support only? We already have plenty of CI threads for new members to read at their convenience.

Julesallen, congrats on your wonderful baby! Babies who are well loved thrive and the other details work out. Enjoy your baby!

I wonder if that might be helpful. The problem is that everything involved with communication and deaf education is full of controversy. If you disallow talk of CI's and spoken language options, do you also forbid advice about ASL?

I think the best solution would be that people simply refrain from bashing ANY choice and only post their positive, "been there, done that" information. We have other places to discuss "negatives".

I have only modified the last sentence because I wanted to keep your reasonings, but at the same time... if you say "don't," then the other group will go "it doesn't work 100% of the time!11!1!111!"

Either way, your initial post is right, but like always... people always have to find something just because of the way things are phrased. This whole thing's all strung together.

I'm envisioning a place where we don't give any advice but just meet emotional/social needs. I remember when I joined here that's what I needed at first was to feel welcome and not alone. That's what I noticed in the original post, too. The parents have a deaf mentor now and that's helped them a lot. Then, the parents may read other threads about specific issues. The parents may start new threads in specific forums. Maybe it's a good idea not to overwhelm them?

I understand that a new diagnosis is a hard thing. The parents will need to spend a lot of time learning and considering options. The parents need time to adjust. Maybe parents can tell us what would be helpful?

I'm envisioning a place where we don't give any advice but just meet emotional/social needs. I remember when I joined here that's what I needed at first was to feel welcome and not alone. That's what I noticed in the original post, too. The parents have a deaf mentor now and that's helped them a lot. Then, the parents may read other threads about specific issues. The parents may start new threads in specific forums. Maybe it's a good idea not to overwhelm them?

I understand that a new diagnosis is a hard thing. The parents will need to spend a lot of time learning and considering options. The parents need time to adjust. Maybe parents can tell us what would be helpful?

:gpost:

I have only modified the last sentence because I wanted to keep your reasonings, but at the same time... if you say "don't," then the other group will go "it doesn't work 100% of the time!11!1!111!"

Either way, your initial post is right, but like always... people always have to find something just because of the way things are phrased. This whole thing's all strung together.

(in my opinion, you don't need to edit her post at all. She mean what she say. and confirm it too. )

(in my opinion, you don't need to edit her post at all. She mean what she say. and confirm it too. )

He justs thinks that I come across too harsh, not that what I'm saying needs changed. He thinks if I was "softer" people wouldn't get so mad. I always thought the Deaf community prided itself on "straightforwardness" to the point where hearing people consider it "too blunt". :dunno2:

He justs thinks that I come across too harsh, not that what I'm saying needs changed. He thinks if I was "softer" people wouldn't get so mad. I always thought the Deaf community prided itself on "straightforwardness" to the point where hearing people consider it "too blunt". :dunno2:

Pls do not bring the Deaf community here as many deaf people here on AD arent culturally Deaf. Many of us grew up mainstreamed and learned ASL later on and havent adopted the "straightforwardness" that is typical of the Deaf community. Pls keep it just to AD..not the Deaf community. AD is a small representative of the Deaf community.

Pls do not bring the Deaf community here as many deaf people here on AD arent culturally Deaf. Many of us grew up mainstreamed and learned ASL later on and havent adopted the "straightforwardness" that is typical of the Deaf community. Pls keep it just to AD..not the Deaf community. AD is a small representative of the Deaf community.

Aka... we're....

HEARINGIZED!

And yes, I stole that from misswinks.

Nah...

I used to be blunt and "straightforward" until a few hearies, last year, told me that I could be sued for slanders. O.O

So I softened my tone big-time.

Aka... we're....

HEARINGIZED!

And yes, I stole that from misswinks.

LOL...Most of us here grew up mainstreamed or "hearing" so most of us arent strong Deaf. To apply us as a rep of the Deaf community would be wrong.

faire-jour....sorry but I'm simply trying to point out to you that the research may not be as straightforward as many parents may interepret it. Have you ever taken a Research Methods college level course? You learn ALL about that sort of stuff in that sort of course.
You can produce research that proves anything you know.

faire-jour....sorry but I'm simply trying to point out to you that the research may not be as straightforward as many parents may interepret it. Have you ever taken a Research Methods college level course? You learn ALL about that sort of stuff in that sort of course.

I wrote you a nice long post that got deleted.

You don't like the outcome because you are terribly biasised and it scares you.

*sighs*

Give it up. It's getting tiring.

It's no difference than what the mass media tell us when they present the non-deaf-related researches.

I remember that class! Wow, some tough stuff I had to learn about research!

Back