16 million U.S. teens have cell phones

Dennis S.

Reaction score
http://technology.updates.com/clickthru.aspx?typeid=32&siteid=1&topicid=2&storyid=498182

According to a research study, quite a few younger Americans are getting cell phones, text pagers, and other wirelress devices to take with them to school, social events, and other places where they aren't directly in contact with their parents or guardians.

Apparently, the study also states that 77% of those who have a cell phone are still with their FIRST wireless provider. Imagine that -- get them young, and get them loyal to your company right off the bat for years to come.

My wife (who is a elementary school teacher) is not okay with this. She doesn't believe that kids should get cell phones before they graduate high school. In fact, she believes that no one needs a cell phone unless they're out of contact from email, a land line phone, or on the road often.

One of her 9 year old students just got accepted to a private middle school next year. His reward for his hard work passing entrance exams and oral interviews? A cell phone. Which he now keeps getting it taken away from him because he disobeys the class rules of no talking or texting during class.

One news show that I saw last night on this topic mentioned that many of these high school kids with cell phones often have high cell phone BILLS. Bills on the order of THOUSANDS have been attributed to them, simply because they can't keep track of their minutes, or their parents never bother to inform them of their limits. 40 CENTS per text message, and they send maybe 100 a SCHOOL DAY? That's $40 a DAY, and these kids don't see it until the parents get a bill and a hospital visit from the ensuing heart attack.

What do you think of those commercials that target teenagers and their family members? I personally have no problem with them -- I actually believe that cell phones are a necessary item that everone should have, though kids probably could use a programmable phone that locks out any calls except to the parents and 911 while at school, as well as being able to lock out the phone after a certain number of minutes are used per day or month.

It's just like bank fees -- the bank COULD just try to refuse any payment that goes over your bank account, but they'd rather charge you MONDO fees for overdrafting. The same with cell phones, why stop you at 300 minutes when they can charge you a ton more per minute when you go over plan?

Kids of the future should have access to cell phones -- I believe that they should be able to get phones that limit their access until they've earned their freedom and responsibility.

Dennis said:
...My wife (who is a elementary school teacher) is not okay with this. She doesn't believe that kids should get cell phones before they graduate high school...
I agree.

Dennis said:
My wife (who is a elementary school teacher) is not okay with this. She doesn't believe that kids should get cell phones before they graduate high school.

I totally agree with your wife Dennis, my oldest son who will be 15 wants a cell phone like my youngest sister and brother who is 16 and 15 themselves owns a cellphones and I did told him that I will not get him a cell phone until he graduate from high school... Of course my family might not agree on how I feel as a parents of having a teenager own a cell phone when they shouldn't be owning one in the first place...

I can't stand people or teenagers talking on the cell phone while driving or if they're placing an order in a fast food restaurant or in stores I find it really annoying...I wish there was some kind of law that banned people for using cell phones while driving, in a restaurant or in a store etc....I saw a few signs in the store that says " please do not use a cell phone while placing your order " there one in the supermart where they sell lunch meats....I see one in Subway restaurant too....

^Angel^ said:
...I wish there was some kind of law that banned people for using cell phones while driving....
Some places already have that ban, such as Washington, DC, the state of New York, and military bases in the United States. Other states have pending legislation.

Portugal has completely banned cell phone use while driving. Italy, Poland, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary and Spain require motorists to use hand free sets.

Yes, there's one in Brooklyn Ohio that no one is allow to use cell phone while driving.. but nothing about being in stores and restaurants...I know that hospitals wouldn't allow you to use the cell phone there either....

My hometown where I live now, hasn't banned people for using cell phone while driving, but I heard it will happen later on.... :fingersx:

^Angel^ said:
.. but nothing about being in stores and restaurants...I know that hospitals wouldn't allow you to use the cell phone there either....
I know that restaurants, churches, and theaters request people to turn off their cell phones, but it is not a law.

The college where I work does not allow cell phone use in the classroom. Only emergency personnel (police, EMS, firefighters) can have one, only on vibrate, and they must leave the room to answer the call. In some of the technical buildings, cell phone signals can't penetrate.

Cell phones, pagers, and PDAs are not even allowed to bring into court room buildings, even if they are turned off. One of our local judges threw a woman in jail for contempt of court because she answered her cell phone in court.

I am against cell phones. and I changed my mind after minnesota shootings...one girl called her mom being so terrified while shootings occured at same time.. hmm thats hard to tell...maybe older kids like seniors could be more responsible only have it in case for emergency not for personal use??

Reba said:
One of our local judges threw a woman in jail for contempt of court because she answered her cell phone in court.

Ouch, I suppose she learned her lesson LOL...

Dennis said:
Fine. What is your option for them to contact you or emergency services at this time?
If the kids are at school, the school office would contact me.

If the kids are at a friend's house, the parents would contact me.

If the kids are on a school field trip, the chaparone will contact me.

If the kids are playing outside, they will scream for me.

Goodness, how did kids survive before the invention of the cell phone?

downing said:
...I changed my mind after minnesota shootings...one girl called her mom being so terrified while shootings occured at same time..
The girl that called her mom during the shootings; did that actually help the situation? Did that stop the shooting, or get the police to the school quicker? Just curious.

I am not so sure. I saw this information on Yahoo! news.. or was it cnn?? I can look and see what I can find. I don't remmy...I am bad at this but I do recall it but sources. nooooo! :dunno:

it was on winnipeg sun news.. it states "Ashley Morrison, another student, took refuge in Schwanz's classroom. With the shooter banging on the door, she dialed her mother on her cellphone. Her mother said she could hear gunshots on the phone. " 'Mom, he's trying to get in here and I'm scared,'" Morrison told her mother."

:dunno: not many information...hmm?

Reba said:

Very true Reba, but one thing, I don't think deaf parents are able to hear them scream for them when they're outside, but surly you made me chuckle on that line there ;)

^Angel^ said:
Very true Reba, but one thing, I don't think deaf parents are able to hear them scream for them when they're outside, but surly you made me chuckle on that line there ;)
Ha, ha, you know how kids are. Even if you can't hear them, one of them will run into the house and tattle, right?

downing said:
it was on winnipeg sun news.. it states "Ashley Morrison, another student, took refuge in Schwanz's classroom. With the shooter banging on the door, she dialed her mother on her cellphone. Her mother said she could hear gunshots on the phone. " 'Mom, he's trying to get in here and I'm scared,'" Morrison told her mother."

:dunno: not many information...hmm?
That's OK. :)

u r welcome...that is an example where daughter called her mom when shootings occured...that is something to think about. i think high school will be ok only for emergency. not just for personal use to chatter away...

Reba said:
Ha, ha, you know how kids are. Even if you can't hear them, one of them will run into the house and tattle, right?

haha right, it happens all the time during the summer! kids!!! :::shaking my head with a smile:::

Reba said:

Not to be morbid, but I'm sure a lot of kids have died in cases where if they had a cell phone or pager they would have been alright.

In any case, having immediate access to a telephone instead of "the nearest pay phone" or other land line saves time, increases safety, and makes communication effective not just in emergencies, but in all cases.

Back