13 different ways you can destroy your vehicle

If no ATF in the auto transmission then car WON'T move at all. ATF acts like hydraulic fluid. If no gear oil in the manual transmission then you still can drive it but awful noise and gear burn out and probably cracks so easy if drive too long.

It was such a long time ago, hard to remember all the details. I just remember Jiffy Lube messing up big time and me never going back.

If no ATF in the auto transmission then car WON'T move at all. ATF acts like hydraulic fluid. If no gear oil in the manual transmission then you still can drive it but awful noise and gear burn out and probably cracks so easy if drive too long.

Not always ... I had an 88 Chevy Monte Carlo with an auto transmission and took it to a local quick lube place not long after I got it to change the ATF not knowing when it had last been changed ... they changed it, the filter and gasket but less than a mile down the road I stopped at a red light and when it turned green the car wouldn't shift out of first gear. I turned around and went back the pan ended up having a dent on it and it pumped all the ATF out. It would still go just only in first gear. They beat the dent out and refilled it and I never had a problem after that.

If there is no fluid in an automatic transmission, the torque converter cannot do it's job of creating torque. Therefore, the vehicle will not move.

If the transmission is partially filled, the vehicle will move a little or stop and start with a lot of engine revving.

I've had a transmission that was low on fluid and keep slipping on cold mornings and shifted a little hard. It's a sign of transmission going out soon. I've got rid of it and got another vehicle.

Not always ... I had an 88 Chevy Monte Carlo with an auto transmission and took it to a local quick lube place not long after I got it to change the ATF not knowing when it had last been changed ... they changed it, the filter and gasket but less than a mile down the road I stopped at a red light and when it turned green the car wouldn't shift out of first gear. I turned around and went back the pan ended up having a dent on it and it pumped all the ATF out. It would still go just only in first gear. They beat the dent out and refilled it and I never had a problem after that.

You says they changed filter and tranny pan gasket? How come with dent pan after filter and pan gasket changed?

I've had a transmission that was low on fluid and keep slipping on cold mornings and shifted a little hard. It's a sign of transmission going out soon. I've got rid of it and got another vehicle.

Older Ford Explorer? I know the problem you mentioned is harden rubber seals in the pistons in clutch drums and internal leak in vacuum modulator where the ATF sucks into the intake manifold, causes ATF low level with no external leaks.

Nope, older Jeep Cherokee

Older Ford Explorer? I know the problem you mentioned is harden rubber seals in the pistons in clutch drums and internal leak in vacuum modulator where the ATF sucks into the intake manifold, causes ATF low level with no external leaks.

You says they changed filter and tranny pan gasket? How come with dent pan after filter and pan gasket changed?

Dented around one of the edges. It was done before I got it I think it was bottomed out and hit something and the old gasket formed with the dent. When a new gasket was put on it didn't seal the pan. The engine did rev high but acted like I had shifted it into first gear myself and wouldn't upshift.

Yes, it's ALWAYS. That's how system works like that way. You must confused between empty and low fluid. Since Angel1989 said that her tranny got drain then tranny is 99% empty then vehicles can't move at all. Like TinCanSailor explained about torque converter. I am 100% agrees with him.

Low fluid and you still can move it but not drive as smooth.

Your problem with Chevy Monte Carlo sounds like pan's dent block the ATF fluid's suck which cause not enough flow for the valve body. Thank god, I don't deal with auto transmission as daily for my work.

Got it. Hexical button. What is yellow button for?

Yellow is for tractor's parking and red is for air supply on the trailer. That's mean IF no air in the trailer then all brakes are locks which perfect for unlocked trailer at the parking.

Dented around one of the edges. It was done before I got it I think it was bottomed out and hit something and the old gasket formed with the dent. When a new gasket was put on it didn't seal the pan. The engine did rev high but acted like I had shifted it into first gear myself and wouldn't upshift.

Clear to me. Shame on mechanic for not check dented pan before he reinstall a new filter/pan gasket. Every time you remove a trans pan, check inside for debris and dents. Debris found, write down repair order invoice to inform a customer that debris can lead the auto transmission in short life or need overhaul. Dented pan you can bottom it before reinstall. I do that.

Did same thing, sold to my neighbor who is mechanic. He wanted our Cherokee so badly and I knew tranny is going bad. Done sold him after owning that Cherokee for 12 years.

The Jeep belonged to my cousin that I used for about 8 months as I need transportation to my job and college at the time. It's a 258 cubic inch I-6 and the good thing about the engine is the torque. A lot of issues with the Jeep is the carburetor, leaking is common for older Jeeps. I was tired of stalling in cold mornings, transmission slipping and engine drinks so much gas that I had to fill 20 gallon tank twice a week at the time. Once I got my Ford, I was happy and had a reliable vehicle ever with the fuel injection and only have to fill it up once a week. Only managed to have a radiator replacement in 260k miles of it's life.

Did same thing, sold to my neighbor who is mechanic. He wanted our Cherokee so badly and I knew tranny is going bad. Done sold him after owning that Cherokee for 12 years.

Like other guys said, ATF is required in order to enable torque converter work properly. ATF was intended to transfer the mechanic energy from the engine to the gears, without these fluid, then transferring energy is impossible. You know these hydraulic system, for instance floor jacks, they use hydraulic fluid to inert pressure on cylinder and piston, enable them to lift whatever the weight it bears on, without hydraulic fluid, these jack won't work, if it has little fluid or low on fluid, then can have some lift but can't do not full lift.

The Jeep belonged to my cousin that I used for about 8 months as I need transportation to my job and college at the time. It's a 258 cubic inch I-6 and the good thing about the engine is the torque. A lot of issues with the Jeep is the carburetor, leaking is common for older Jeeps. I was tired of stalling in cold mornings, transmission slipping and engine drinks so much gas that I had to fill 20 gallon tank twice a week at the time. Once I got my Ford, I was happy and had a reliable vehicle ever with the fuel injection and only have to fill it up once a week. Only managed to have a radiator replacement in 260k miles of it's life.

I replaced a new radiator in my wife's 2000 Explorer last 3 years ago. The OEM radiator has seam leaked, last about 100K miles on it.

I had replaced radiator once when it had a leak. 2nd was holding fine. I had other Explorer had 3rd radiator, 3rd one replaced free under warranty. Hate the plastic tanks on the sides.

I replaced a new radiator in my wife's 2000 Explorer last 3 years ago. The OEM radiator has seam leaked, last about 100K miles on it.

#14 If you ask a girl named Jess to replenish the motor oil for you! :thumb:

gpALGIH.gif

Back