1 dead and 5 injured in burglary

its called Accessory to the crime....
If you are with someone and partake in a crime you are just as much in debt with whatever someone elses actions may be...

I've been thinking about this one more. I think your and Jezie's points are quite rational and logical. And I concede the differences between this and reckless driving. I too feel people should be held responsible for their own actions. So I find it weird that I still feel like creating the situation that allowed things to escalate should have consequences because people were shot and one guy is dead because of that situation.

It was the risk they took to do the crime. Just because one got lucky I don't think he should get off easy at all. But maybe murder is the wrong charge. Maybe we just need stricter punishments for any crime involving a gun. The guys are obviously a threat to society, and shouldn't be on the streets for as long as possible.

I think the law allows for stricter punishments when it's appropriate and in this case I really think it is.

Many states do have stricter laws when a gun is involved.

If you are with someone and partake in a crime you are just as much in debt with whatever someone elses actions may be...

Bingo! My opinion the man is just at fault as the one pulling the trigger. The fact they broke into the house aware (no matter they claim this and that) that someone might be inside...there is always that chance.

... I can see where this may apply... but I cannot agree with the morality of it... I agree Long is guilty of every action that Long did... but Cooper was not a minor nor under Long's control... the murder charge is just an added charge that makes society feel better, it holds no honnest legality nor justice ...

As long as this trash law is aplied to cops...then ill support it. That means. Every time a cop blows away an unarmed dude, all the cops present get charged with murder.afterall it doesnt matter if you actually squeeze the triger or not..your present, a crime was commited..your just as gulty...
Sure ill support that nonsesne...bet it will drasticly cut down on the numbers of innocent unarmed folks murdered by the fuzz
Awsome
Oh waita min...theres a seperate set of laws for those boys..tsk tsk....of course.

As long as this trash law is aplied to cops...then ill support it. That means. Every time a cop blows away an unarmed dude, all the cops present get charged with murder.afterall it doesnt matter if you actually squeeze the triger or not..your present, a crime was commited..your just as gulty...
Sure ill support that nonsesne...bet it will drasticly cut down on the numbers of innocent unarmed folks murdered by the fuzz
Awsome
Oh waita min...theres a seperate set of laws for those boys..tsk tsk....of course.
The two scenarios don't compare.

The reason that all burglars are charged when someone is killed during a burglary is because the burglars all voluntarily and with pre-meditation agreed to commit a burglary (a crime).

In a situation where a cop is charged with a murder, unless the other cops agreed with that cop to voluntarily and with pre-meditation commit a murder, then they shouldn't be charged. The only other circumstance where the other cops could also be charged is if they engaged in a cover-up after the murder happened.

Mere presence during a crime doesn't make someone guilty. Agreeing to commit the crime with another and being present is what makes one guilty.

The scenario you described with the cops would be like charging every witness and bystander with the murder just because they were present.

Unreal…. so if a party of 5 burglars gets caught and all but one gets killed by the homeowner, then the surviving burglar gets tagged for 4 murders???

I don't know… there's something sooo wrong about this. If I was with a group of say 5 or 6 ppl and a couple of them decides out of the blue and commits a serious crime right in front of us, then that means we're guilty by association?? We'll have to prove we're innocent, that we weren't there to commit crime. We'll be hauled away first, questioned by detectives, held for 24 hrs or more.

The two scenarios don't compare.

The reason that all burglars are charged when someone is killed during a burglary is because the burglars all voluntarily and with pre-meditation agreed to commit a burglary (a crime).

In a situation where a cop is charged with a murder, unless the other cops agreed with that cop to voluntarily and with pre-meditation commit a murder, then they shouldn't be charged. The only other circumstance where the other cops could also be charged is if they engaged in a cover-up after the murder happened.

Mere presence during a crime doesn't make someone guilty. Agreeing to commit the crime with another and being present is what makes one guilty.

The scenario you described with the cops would be like charging every witness and bystander with the murder just because they were present.

Right a burglery thats a different crime then murder..its a trash law...people should be charged with the actual crimes they commit..not blanket being there.nonsense.
The reason.why this trash law was.created was simply to punish regardless of individual culpability...
I used the fuzz example to illustrate how absurd blanket charging regardless if one actually did the crime or not can be.
Burglury is burglury, charge those involved..the person who murders should be the one charged not some dude in another room..or what ever. What is wrong with simply bieng charged with the actual crime one commits?
Thats trash law.really..fascists would be proud of it...

Nervous tick......or tourets....eheh

Just lost on how it ties in... yeah Cooper was shot... but seems if he was killed through a bat to the head then Long would still have been bum wrapped...

Curious... why do you keep saying gun laws?
Caz is from the UK right? I don't think the have the gun problems the states do. Lots more regulations on firearms I think.

Back