1 dead and 5 injured in burglary

This is why:

"Police said because Long had a hand in the burglary, he has been charged with Cooper’s murder."

Anything that happens during the commission of the burglary is considered to be the fault of those committing the crime. They are responsible for everything that goes wrong during their criminal activity.

It's amazing that more people weren't hurt. There were five people in the house sleeping at the time of the burglary, and then the other four people showed up. I thought burglars only broke into homes where no one is around. Apparently they didn't plan this one very well.

This is why:

"Police said because Long had a hand in the burglary, he has been charged with Cooper’s murder."

Anything that happens during the commission of the burglary is considered to be the fault of those committing the crime. They are responsible for everything that goes wrong during their criminal activity.

I caught that as well, but, oddly feel that it is wrong that he is charged with murder if he did not murder Cooper. Both were adults and made their own choices.

I caught that as well, but, oddly feel that it is wrong that he is charged with murder if he did not murder Cooper. Both were adults and made their own choices.
That's the legal principle. It's not enforced in all states, in all cases but it is an option for the prosecution.

The law sees the choice being made to commit the burglary the same as being the choice to accept all the consequences that go along with that burglary.

That's the legal principle. It's not enforced in all states, in all cases but it is an option for the prosecution.

The law sees the choice being made to commit the burglary the same as being the choice to accept all the consequences that go along with that burglary.

If it was the home owner or someone, lawfully, in the home that passed due to the burglary..say grampa has a heart attack from fear... then okay... but this... should be wrong...

Indeed. Its just an exsmple of a
Trash law that does more harm then good in soceity long term. It doesnt recognize an individuals culpibilty, rather it only targets the group. If you go with the motive to as an example to rob somone. And the person your with gets shot, from the person you went to rob, even though you did not have a gun or even intend to kill (you for instsance assumed no one would be there), your friend gets killed, the guy who pulled the trigger gets off for defence, you get charged with your friends murder..
Yeah
So on so forth.we all know the law or its apparatus, isnt much about justice anyway so ....besides.not like this law is used on cops...you know those vids of cops murdering unarmed guys, and the other cops present of course this law can never apply the boys in blue...of course not, just imagine if it did, how fast the rate of unarmed dudes getting blown away by cops would drop....
Meh

Last edited:
The mother was shot and the son stabbed. The intruders entered the home of a family armed and ready to do violence if need be. They caused the entire ordeal and are responsible for everything that happened.

The mother was shot and the son stabbed. The intruders entered the home of a family armed and ready to do violence if need be. They caused the entire ordeal and are responsible for everything that happened.

Depending on who shot and stabbed I would say there is room for attempted murder... but Long did not kill Cooper... this is a charge that should be dropped...
Intent to do harm to the family is different... in that all persons survived... and it was the family that rightfully defended themself. The murder should be listed as self defense and let it go...
I am not saying Long should go free... but should only be charged with what he did...

Oddly looking up this story also ties into confederate flag... got a love the media...

Depending on who shot and stabbed I would say there is room for attempted murder... but Long did not kill Cooper... this is a charge that should be dropped...
Intent to do harm to the family is different... in that all persons survived... and it was the family that rightfully defended themself. The murder should be listed as self defense and let it go...
I am not saying Long should go free... but should only be charged with what he did...

Oddly looking up this story also ties into confederate flag... got a love the media...
What if they called it manslaughter instead? I mean... I kind of get where you're coming from, that the other guy didn't intend to kill Cooper, but they did intend to perform a crime, and that crime came with the potential immediate penalty of death (as was the case for Cooper) should the homeowner defend themselves.

I think it's only fair that the guy who lived suffer along with Cooper's death. I mean, he could just have easily gotten killed himself with no penalty to the defenders (as there rightfully shouldn't be if someone is invading your home and threatening your well being).

I think the law Reba mentioned makes sense. If you're going to commit a crime that causes things to spiral out of control, you are directly responsible for the result and should be held to it by the law.

Thinking about it more, manslaughter makes sense, but murder fits too... It's like if you're driving recklessly, you don't intend to kill anyone, but if you do, you can be up for manslaughter or murder (I think the level of negligence, maybe remorse, and probably other stuff gets weighed in to determine the charge).

What if they called it manslaughter instead? I mean... I kind of get where you're coming from, that the other guy didn't intend to kill Cooper, but they did intend to perform a crime, and that crime came with the potential immediate penalty of death (as was the case for Cooper) should the homeowner defend themselves.

I think it's only fair that the guy who lived suffer along with Cooper's death. I mean, he could just have easily gotten killed himself with no penalty to the defenders (as there rightfully shouldn't be if someone is invading your home and threatening your well being).

I think the law Reba mentioned makes sense. If you're going to commit a crime that causes things to spiral out of control, you are directly responsible for the result and should be held to it by the law.

Thinking about it more, manslaughter makes sense, but murder fits too... It's like if you're driving recklessly, you don't intend to kill anyone, but if you do, you can be up for manslaughter or murder (I think the level of negligence, maybe remorse, and probably other stuff gets weighed in to determine the charge).

No, sorry I do not agree... charging Long with Cooper's death is just seeking vengeance. If it was just Cooper, then this would be a case of self defence, but hey look they have a second guy that the state can murder just to make it look like they are really tough on crime.
No... attempted murder on the family is about as far as I would stretch it...
Only way I would say manslaughter is if Long grabbed Cooper and used him as a body shield... then I may be pushed to agree with murder.
In yout driving anology, I agree that is manslaughter or negligence homicide. The driver is driving without regard and is responsible for his actions... (adding a bit) but the drunk that he scared into hitting a car is still solely responsible for the nun he ran over...

It ignores individual responabily. It actually creates more.violent crime.
It ignores differences in crime, and instead only looks at a crimebeing commitrd, whesther you actually killed anyone is irrelavant, reba states the law, sure but it ignores reality. Really. As for cooper suffering why?
How does soceity get served? Is the point of this law to inflict suffering?
Why not actually charge people with crimes they actually commit?
I know i know....pipe dream...

I wonder if the home were targeted because of the Confederate flag flying on their porch?

Three male victims were stabbed and a female victim was shot in the neck inside a home on the west side of Columbus, Ohio. A total of five members of the household were injured and hospitalized.

The family, which flies a Confederate flag on their porch, may have been targeted because of their race. The family is white and the two perpetrators are black. The lives of the victim’s were saved when one member of the family shot and killed one of the attackers. The other attacker was apprehended at the scene.

Small children were asleep upstairs when the attack took place.

http://stop-hate-crimes.com/2015/07...flag-invaded-family-members-shot-and-stabbed/

Maybe, but lately there has been spike of crimes against Confederate across the nation with vandalism, hate, violence.

Interesting....
Hate crime ..
Doubt that will come into play, its rare blacks to be hit with hate crime charges,even when the hate crimes are rather apperent...

Maybe, but lately there has been spike of crimes against Confederate across the nation with vandalism, hate, violence.

True....and really its only going to get worse..
Sucks..
But...ominous...

As long as society keeps thinking they had it coming to them for flying the flag this will continue.... and as Hoichi says get worse....
But I doubt the flag had anything to do with it. It's why I used the link I did... it have the fmaily's words and it did not mention anything about the flag or them flying it. But then again there might be more somewhere out there...

It ignores individual responabily. It actually creates more.violent crime.
It ignores differences in crime, and instead only looks at a crimebeing commitrd, whesther you actually killed anyone is irrelavant, reba states the law, sure but it ignores reality. Really. As for cooper suffering why?
How does soceity get served? Is the point of this law to inflict suffering?
Why not actually charge people with crimes they actually commit?
I know i know....pipe dream...

You don't have to be the one to pull the trigger to be the one responsible. It was the intruders actions that lead to the death, actions that where immoral, dangerous and with no consideration to the well being of innocent people but infact likely intended harm to anyone they might encounter.

You don't have to be the one to pull the trigger to be the one responsible. It was the intruders actions that lead to the death, actions that where immoral, dangerous and with no consideration to the well being of innocent people but infact likely intended harm to anyone they might encounter.

Well, actually i believe and hold one to.be responsible for their own actions. If one is jusy present, and did not actually pull the trigger or use the knkfe or hammer, oe bat, or pitch fork or what ever..then i find it unjust for that individual to be held and teied for murder. He should be chsrged for whwt crime he actually did. Robbery, break and enter, forcefull confinment..what ever..not blanket murder, as said individua did not murder.
Yeah..
The simple things in life, like actually being charged for actuall crimw commited, isnt really in vogue these days, i grant

Well, actually i believe and hold one to.be responsible for their own actions. If one is jusy present, and did not actually pull the trigger or use the knkfe or hammer, oe bat, or pitch fork or what ever..then i find it unjust for that individual to be held and teied for murder. He should be chsrged for whwt crime he actually did. Robbery, break and enter, forcefull confinment..what ever..not blanket murder, as said individua did not murder.
Yeah..
The simple things in life, like actually being charged for actuall crimw commited, isnt really in vogue these days, i grant
I've been thinking about this one more. I think your and Jezie's points are quite rational and logical. And I concede the differences between this and reckless driving. I too feel people should be held responsible for their own actions. So I find it weird that I still feel like creating the situation that allowed things to escalate should have consequences because people were shot and one guy is dead because of that situation.

It was the risk they took to do the crime. Just because one got lucky I don't think he should get off easy at all. But maybe murder is the wrong charge. Maybe we just need stricter punishments for any crime involving a gun. The guys are obviously a threat to society, and shouldn't be on the streets for as long as possible.

I think the law allows for stricter punishments when it's appropriate and in this case I really think it is.

Back