What are your deaf frustrations ?

• Total voters

Loudsilence20

Reaction score
A poem by me I really hope you all like it ! I guess you all understan

Loud silence

When you are deaf or hard of hearing, sounds are your main focus. Soft lulls of people’s voices just blur into each other, the sudden frustration beckons you to awkwardly lash out and scream, sorry can you repeat that? What, what, didn’t catch that, oh ….

The glances that they begin to exchange has you paranoid beyond repair as you desperately try to decipher the meaning of each silent but telling look. The wall then descends between you and the outside,complete and total isolation, a distance so great it’s DEAFENING

Suddenly you can’t hear at all as you frantically watch the movement of people’s lips as they move faster than the speed of light. You are helpless in an ocean of volume. It feels like you are riding that perfect wave, all concentration needed, then the blue barrel curls over to quickly, the end of the line gets smaller and smaller as you slip into the vast water,never making it to the finish line, drowning in your frustration.

People seem disinterested to give that extra push and break down that wall so you are no longer trapped in silence. Laughter bubbles around me, “sorry what was so funny?” I ask. The eyes will roll so far back into their head they will go blind. “Oh it doesn’t matter” they say I get brushed aside like I am not important or worthy to bring anything to the conversation. Typical.

Silence is my friend, confusion is who I am, and my sight is my hero. To wake up one morning and hear the crystal clear engine of a car, the birds chirping in the distance. The cold snap of frost just setting on the window pane. As of now that is a lucid dream filled with promises of reassurance that everything is going to work out. Maybe so

If you wake up one day and all you heard was the choking silence. What is the first sound that you would yearn for? ……The soft melody of a piano lulling in the next room?...... The wind brushing through the autumn leaves?....... Or the scuttle of boots creaking on the old wooden floors.

When this treasure is taken away, new things develop a sound and shine like they didn’t before. You will hear the house breathe slowly, take notice of every creak and turn. When you sit with people you will notice how they move their lips to speak and smile, because you have to.

Then when the dawn breaks the sun will crawl over the horizon and scream loud and proud as you hear every word,

The colour will sweep upon your face beckoning youto hear what the day has in store. You’ll put on a brave expression. You’ll get up and face the loud and crazy world,

Despite the utter and total silence

Nice poem. :)

I picked both of them, I wish that I could born to lovely deaf family.

Nice poem. :)

I picked both of them, I wish that I could born to lovely deaf family.

Completely agree but in a sense I can't imagine my whole family being deaf , there are pros and cons I just speak verbally and lip read a lot unfortunately I was never introduced to the deaf community as a child I knew only 1 other girl my age who was similar to me , I would love to learn sign language but I would have no one to speak it with since everyone has perfect hearing

Completely agree but in a sense I can't imagine my whole family being deaf , there are pros and cons I just speak verbally and lip read a lot unfortunately I was never introduced to the deaf community as a child I knew only 1 other girl my age who was similar to me , I would love to learn sign language but I would have no one to speak it with since everyone has perfect hearing

Go for it :) You'll meet new people to sign with while learning sign language :)
I'm supposing you would go for Irish sign language ?

Go for it :) You'll meet new people to sign with while learning sign language :)
I'm supposing you would go for Irish sign language ?

Yes I would be! It's very daunting thought because I'm half way between the deaf community and the hearing community I don't really have a place in either but maybe sign language can change that!

Yes I would be! It's very daunting thought because I'm half way between the deaf community and the hearing community I don't really have a place in either but maybe sign language can change that!

You have a place in both :)
But learning sign, will allow you easier access to Deaf community...

Very nice of you to share this with us. The older I get, the more I like poetry.

Back