“Universal Sign language” could be the “Universal Language”

Cut4sign

Reaction score
First of all, I'm not deaf but my wife is learning to be a interpreter and I've often wondered why we couldn't use sign language as a second language for everyone? I've done some searching on the internet about it and found this site and wanted to ask your opinion on this.

Can you imagine being able to travel anywhere in the world and be able to communicate with people? This could be possible to some extent if we helped promote the already established universal sign language system “Gestuno” or even incorporate some of the “European Creole” sign that is already being used. The only reason I could find that Gestuno has not been accepted is because it was used in such limited circumstances like world conferences with deaf people. Now if it were taught by every child around the world as a second language it would catch on very quickly and the world could start communicating with a “Universal Language”!

I realize that you could not adapt every English word or foreign language word into a universal sign but that’s not needed. We only need to have a large list of signs that could help people communicate.

The best thing about this is that all the people of the deaf community would finally be able to communicate with everyone… wouldn’t that be a great thing?

Please let me a good explanation why this wouldn’t work.

Cut4sign

But even though there could be a universal language, there would be so many dialects withen that language, that they would eventually branch off, slowly.

But even though there could be a universal language, there would be so many dialects withen that language, that they would eventually branch off, slowly.

True... but there would be a base that you could communicate the simple things, not to mention everyone at least learning some sort of sign so it could improve the communication with the deaf around the world!

We tend to use a homemade sign on the spot trying to ask for things like "I'm looking for food" or "How much?"... Why not add to the already existing universal sign language and improve it?

Cut4sign

Please do not cross-post in multiple forums. The Sign Language & Oralism forum is the correct place for that.

Back