‘Being homeless is my business,’ says panhandler who accepts credit cards

We have a homeless group that lives under our large bridge on-ramp. They call it Tent City. It's so organized it looks like a campground. They have over 100 colorful tents (no cardboard boxes), portable potties, grills, trash dumpster, buffet tables for donated food, and tables for clothing donations. It's like a regular little community. On cold-weather nights a bus picks them up to take them to a heated shelter. They don't want to stay long-term at the shelter because alcohol and drugs aren't allowed there.

We have a homeless group that lives under our large bridge on-ramp. They call it Tent City. It's so organized it looks like a campground. They have over 100 colorful tents (no cardboard boxes), portable potties, grills, trash dumpster, buffet tables for donated food, and tables for clothing donations. It's like a regular little community. On cold-weather nights a bus picks them up to take them to a heated shelter. They don't want to stay long-term at the shelter because alcohol and drugs aren't allowed there.
Yep, we have "Tent City" here too.

I was going to buy a sub for homeless guy panhandling for money in front of a grocery store . I went to the sub shop and told the owner to throw together a sub for a homeless man ,the guy told me he gave the homeless man a sub and he threw it away. He wanted money to buy alcohol so I said forget it and saved my money . I just read that we have more homeless people in my city and there is about 30 homeless children living in my city and other town around us. I just saw a homeless woman at the duck pond a few days ago , I never seen her before. The 'Y' does a count of homeless each year in my city .

When I got injured and terminated from my career, I took all of my "issued" clothes and drove around downtown and handed them out to the homeless. Insulated jackets/coats, pants, long sleeved shirts, wool sock... most were new still in the packages. Years of accumulation since I wore a couple uniforms until they wore out before opening new ones... There were a lot of happy campers that cold winter night.

I was going to buy a sub for homeless guy panhandling for money in front of a grocery store . I went to the sub shop and told the owner to throw together a sub for a homeless man ,the guy told me he gave the homeless man a sub and he threw it away. He wanted money to buy alcohol so I said forget it and saved my money . I just read that we have more homeless people in my city and there is about 30 homeless children living in my city and other town around us. I just saw a homeless woman at the duck pond a few days ago , I never seen her before. The 'Y' does a count of homeless each year in my city .
Yep, working, we encountered many wanting money said they were hungry, offered for them to come in and pick a meal/drink and we would buy, they declined and moved on. A few were honest saying they only wanted beer and smokes.... nope, nada, aint getting it.

At my parent's hometown there's a homeless guy that always puts a sign saying "Stranded please help me get home" Well he's been pulling that scam for over a year so it's clear he's not in a hurry to get somewhere.

Yep, working, we encountered many wanting money said they were hungry, offered for them to come in and pick a meal/drink and we would buy, they declined and moved on. A few were honest saying they only wanted beer and smokes.... nope, nada, aint getting it.

I picked up 4 empty small nips bottles of booze at the park the other day . I used a plastic bag and didn't touch the bottles . They were made of glass and would end broken and a lot dogs and kids walk on the sidewalk . I now know why there are bottles on the ground again , we have more homeless people around . Two had dies and one guy lost his foot from an infection and when to low income housing. Once it get warmer out there is going homeless people at duck pond , they're allowed to live in the park if they want too . I was :shock: when I was told this by a policeman.

At my parent's hometown there's a homeless guy that always puts a sign saying "Stranded please help me get home" Well he's been pulling that scam for over a year so it's clear he's not in a hurry to get somewhere.
There was a guy who wore BDU's and a sin saying he was a homeless vet, walking and bobbin his head like he had some disorder... felt sorry for him and would give a dollar once in awhile ( and everyone always gave to him ) he was always at the highway ramp. Well, i was out in the county where I used to live in SoCo and seen him with a dolly waiting for a bus joking with people and just having a great time and seemed he was cured of his "disability" and homelessness since he was dressed really nice. I whipped a U'ie and confronted him, if I EVER seen him pan handling again Ill turn him in... havent seen him anywhere since.

There was a guy who wore BDU's and a sin saying he was a homeless vet, walking and bobbin his head like he had some disorder... felt sorry for him and would give a dollar once in awhile ( and everyone always gave to him ) he was always at the highway ramp. Well, i was out in the county where I used to live in SoCo and seen him with a dolly waiting for a bus joking with people and just having a great time and seemed he was cured of his "disability" and homelessness since he was dressed really nice. I whipped a U'ie and confronted him, if I EVER seen him pan handling again Ill turn him in... havent seen him anywhere since.

I was at a friend's home once and 2 men came to door and one guy was
'blind' and his friend was trying to get money to help his 'blind ' friend .
My friend's mother didn't give any money and we ran to the window and saw that 'blind' man has regain his sight , he was running to car on his own ! All 3 of us knew the guys were con artist and bad ones too. That is trick is a real old one.

There was also a lady at the same place that had a sign and 2 small kids, saying she was homeless. Someone followed her a few blocks and she got into a really nice car, later they followed her home. She lived in the county in a really nice house and she was rich... someone called in on her and CPS took the kids from her and she was arrested.
It was in the news and I dont remember the outcome, but I know she got in trouble and they nailed her with some sort of tax evasion for not claiming income....lol

I would think that there are some exceptions where the person would take you up on the offer of a meal.

There are various types of homeless encampments around various cities and places in the U.S. - some are tent cities, some are little huts of wood or tarp or whatever; there's also these "tiny houses" : http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/tiny-homes-homeless/413212/
Often any of these types of communities have "mayors" and community rules.

I was driving home from work one late Winter day a few years back and passed a man standing on a street corner at a busy intersection, with a "homeless" sign, looking kinda ragged....I drove over to a close gas station and bought him a sandwich, cup of soup, apple, something to drink and brought also some utensils and napkins and returned. he was still there. I was aware and ready if he didn't want the food or got upset. He was so happy, his smile was so wide and his eyes grinned - he seemed really touched. I was familiar with and told him about a little cafe place near where he was standing that had a nice seating area if he wanted to go there and relax a bit. He declined but was happy that I'd approached him. I thought it was a good way to end the work day.

There are various types of homeless encampments around various cities and places in the U.S. - some are tent cities, some are little huts of wood or tarp or whatever; there's also these "tiny houses" : http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/tiny-homes-homeless/413212/
Often any of these types of communities have "mayors" and community rules.

I was driving home from work one late Winter day a few years back and passed a man standing on a street corner at a busy intersection, with a "homeless" sign, looking kinda ragged....I drove over to a close gas station and bought him a sandwich, cup of soup, apple, something to drink and brought also some utensils and napkins and returned. he was still there. I was aware and ready if he didn't want the food or got upset. He was so happy, his smile was so wide and his eyes grinned - he seemed really touched. I was familiar with and told him about a little cafe place near where he was standing that had a nice seating area if he wanted to go there and relax a bit. He declined but was happy that I'd approached him. I thought it was a good way to end the work day.

Yes there are some homeless people that want money for food not all homeless peoples are drunks. It was raining real hard one day when I was at park and a homeless man was sitting at a bench and I gave him my
umbrella I kept in my car . He was really surprises and thanks me.

Back