AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Sign Language & Oralism
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree193Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #211 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
We even had a thread a couple years back asking CI users to post what they can hear. The majority were of those who were late-implanted and could still understand spoken language. I understand not all can (I think more don't than do), but there's quite a lot who do. It's on this board somewhere.
Exactly. And if one were to bother to check all the CI research out there, they will find that the group that receives most benefit from CI is the adventitiously deafened who had some speech skills prior to loosing their hearing.
jillio is offline  
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #212 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
"More hearing is better" is one of the most audist attitudes and statements around. If you are attempting to convince us that you aren't an audist, you are doing a piss poor job of it!
too much on posts on reason strong on pretty she is control on thread posts! I believe it she want to out of control It is very serious!
jillio, deafskeptic and Bebonang like this.
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #213 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



understanding a few words here and there, or just with familiar speakers or solitary word discrim is different from being able to fully access spoken language.

i'm really surprised by this development. If spoken language is so accessible by even those so very late implanted, why are people fighting against spoken language settings?
If you really need to ask that question, you need to go back to Deafness 101 and start completely over.
it was sarcasm because you can't have it both ways. You can't say that spoken language is easily accessable to even the very late implanted, profoundly deaf from birth AND claim it is inaccessable and that all deaf kids require ASL 24-7. Those are opposing concepts.
faire_jour is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #214 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



it was sarcasm because you can't have it both ways. You can't say that spoken language is easily accessable to even the very late implanted, profoundly deaf from birth AND claim it is inaccessable and that all deaf kids require ASL 24-7. Those are opposing concepts.
why not your against to CI you are serious! you don't do that discrimmation because serious! we are not accept discrimmation!
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #215 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
We even had a thread a couple years back asking CI users to post what they can hear. The majority were of those who were late-implanted and could still understand spoken language. I understand not all can (I think more don't than do), but there's quite a lot who do. It's on this board somewhere.
Exactly. And if one were to bother to check all the CI research out there, they will find that the group that receives most benefit from CI is the adventitiously deafened who had some speech skills prior to loosing their hearing.
uh, yeah, of course. And then who? Those implanted very young.
faire_jour is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #216 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



it was sarcasm because you can't have it both ways. You can't say that spoken language is easily accessable to even the very late implanted, profoundly deaf from birth AND claim it is inaccessable and that all deaf kids require ASL 24-7. Those are opposing concepts.
Then you need to practice your sarcastic technique. It comes across as ignorance.

It might help to review your reading comprehension skills as well. No one has said anything of the kind.
deafdyke and Smithtr like this.
jillio is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #217 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Then you need to practice your sarcastic technique. It comes across as ignorance.

It might help to review your reading comprehension skills as well. No one has said anything of the kind.
FJ is very no evidence no said cochlear implant because, I review her FJ is seems on argue to debated on want!
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #218 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



uh, yeah, of course. And then who? Those implanted very young.
By a huge, huge gap between the two groups. Those implanted young level off in gains and quickly fall behind. Try not to intentionally misrepresent, FJ, just because you have become rabid about CIs since having your child implanted. You stiil need to be intellectually honest.
deafdyke likes this.
jillio is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #219 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
FJ is very no evidence no said cochlear implant because, I review her FJ is seems on argue to debated on want!
Yes, she will argue about anything. It is annoying.
jillio is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #220 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
FJ is very no evidence no said cochlear implant because, I review her FJ is seems on argue to debated on want!
That's an understatement
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #221 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Yes, she will argue about anything. It is annoying.
I believe it FJ is crazy on argue to serious!! I know her bio strong fighter 0_o
deafskeptic likes this.
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #222 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
That's an understatement
you means on confused that is correct?
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #223 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
you means on confused that is correct?
Here's an example of what I mean by understatment:

suppose big earthquake happens. 3000k people die in it. Damage cost 1 trillion dollars.

Then John says that earthquake did some damage. What he said is an understatement. Most people think some damage means only few people died and damage wasn't too bad.

Earthquake did very bad damage because 3000k people died and there was a lot of damage. So to say earthquake only did some damage is understatement.

When I said it's an understatement, I was being sarcastic about FJ arguing all the time. I get annoyed by FJ because she will argue about anything. She argues so much that
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Here's an example of what I mean by understatment:

suppose big earthquake happens. 3000k people die in it. Damage cost 1 trillion dollars.

Then John says that earthquake did some damage. What he said is an understatement. Most people think some damage means only few people died and damage wasn't too bad.

Earthquake did very bad damage because 3000k people died and there was a lot of damage. So to say earthquake only did some damage is understatement.

When I said it's an understatement, I was being sarcastic about FJ arguing all the time. I get annoyed by FJ because she will argue about anything. She argues so much that
3000k, easier to say 3m?
posts from hell is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #225 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Here's an example of what I mean by understatment:

suppose big earthquake happens. 3000k people die in it. Damage cost 1 trillion dollars.

Then John says that earthquake did some damage. What he said is an understatement. Most people think some damage means only few people died and damage wasn't too bad.

Earthquake did very bad damage because 3000k people died and there was a lot of damage. So to say earthquake only did some damage is understatement.

When I said it's an understatement, I was being sarcastic about FJ arguing all the time. I get annoyed by FJ because she will argue about anything. She argues so much that
deafskeptic
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #226 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
3000k, easier to say 3m?
3000k is still a lot of people. I thought 3000k would be a more realistic number than 3 million.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
3000k is still a lot of people. I thought 3000k would be a more realistic number than 3 million.
They both the same
Smithtr likes this.
posts from hell is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #228 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
They both the same
Are you reading three thousand as 3 million?
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #229 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
3000k is still a lot of people. I thought 3000k would be a more realistic number than 3 million.
that is true!
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Here's an example of what I mean by understatment:

suppose big earthquake happens. 3000k people die in it. Damage cost 1 trillion dollars.

Then John says that earthquake did some damage. What he said is an understatement. Most people think some damage means only few people died and damage wasn't too bad.

Earthquake did very bad damage because 3000k people died and there was a lot of damage. So to say earthquake only did some damage is understatement.

When I said it's an understatement, I was being sarcastic about FJ arguing all the time. I get annoyed by FJ because she will argue about anything. She argues so much that
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
3000k is still a lot of people. I thought 3000k would be a more realistic number than 3 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Are you reading three thousand as 3 million?
ahhh.... k = thousand. 3,000 = 3 thousand. 3,000k = 3,000,000 = 3m Thats how I saw it.
posts from hell is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #231 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
ahhh.... k = thousand. 3,000 = 3 thousand. 3,000k = 3,000,000 = 3m Thats how I saw it.
amen
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #232 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
ahhh.... k = thousand. 3,000 = 3 thousand. 3,000k = 3,000,000 = 3m Thats how I saw it.
ah. I should have said 3k then. :p
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #233 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
ah. I should have said 3k then. :p
she not believe it said on face! I am numberous!
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #234 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,059
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
And here we disagree.

For to babies to receive the most benefits from CI is to implants ASAP.
Any later, and you are missing the point.
As long as implantation does not interfere with learning ASL and having
and access to Deaf Culture, why would one be against that, is beyond me.

Or, rather, I know- it's a personal view based not in objectivity
but deeply rooted in personal early experiences.

You, Bebonang, had had a bad early experiences as a deaf person.
So did Shel.

Both of you because of that intensely dislike now anything that has to do with hearing, speech, oralism etc.
You love everything that has to do with deaf, Deaf and ASL because only there you finally, at last,
felt fully accepted, non -judged and fully understood.

You deny all that, but in fact every time we are discussing this subject your personal experiences come to surface and color your opinion whether you know it or not.

To the contrary, people who had positive experiences with hearing while growing up - they are more accepting toward CI than those who had negative experiences and were denied access to ASL and the Deaf ties.

Fuzzy
Fuzzy, sorry but you're wrong. Yes, a kid who gets absolutly ZERO benifit from HA, would benifit from early implantation, BUT is there a hugely drastic difference between someone who got implanted THE VERY SECOND it was found they didn't benifit from HA and someone who had some decent residual hearing, and waited a bit for implantation? Not nessarily a year but a few months?
deafdyke is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #235 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
Fuzzy insult to me I am not offer your I am not accept your tolerance behavior your immmature grow up your you are seems childrish play games and your lie
I copy your! I am serious I am stricty you are complaint problem what you talk to me I am not happy you I ma very apolgoized your fault blame to me! she seems behavior serious!
deafskeptic and Daredevel7 like this.
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #236 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Hey, Fuzz. Lay off the harrassing Travis. He hasn't done anything to you.
Smithtr, deafskeptic and Bebonang like this.
jillio is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #237 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
I aware it AG bell in strong on CI and deaf, reason just to deaf reason point! that is why on points serious! strong on debated! that is crazy on debates I already on befores on debates on research on alldeaf!
You are right, Travis, it is tiring to talk about this over and over.
Smithtr likes this.
__________________

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,059
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



people who could not hear or understand spoken language their entire life and then were implanted as adults and no longer lipread? They can understand running spoken language with their backs turned or from behind a door, or over the phone?
Why are you so preoccupied with that as the Gold Standard? Why do you see lipreading as a "crutch?" Besides, comprehension with a CI/HA has more to do with hearing people unconsciously modifying their speech patterns to make it easier for dhh people to understand them. It is VERY hard for
And you know what? I (and MANY other hoh...both functionally and audilogically hoh) can understand spoken language without speechreading ...but in CHUNKS...not nessarily with complex information, such as inflection or tone of voice beign used etc.
jillio and deafskeptic like this.
deafdyke is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #239 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Wirelessly posted



people who could not hear or understand spoken language their entire life and then were implanted as adults and no longer lipread? They can understand running spoken language with their backs turned or from behind a door, or over the phone?
Why are you so preoccupied with that as the Gold Standard? Why do you see lipreading as a "crutch?" Besides, comprehension with a CI/HA has more to do with hearing people unconsciously modifying their speech patterns to make it easier for dhh people to understand them. It is VERY hard for
And you know what? I (and MANY other hoh...both functionally and audilogically hoh) can understand spoken language without speechreading ...but in CHUNKS...not nessarily with complex information, such as inflection or tone of voice beign used etc.
because that is what i see every day with the early implanted kids at my daughter's school. They absolutely are able to do it.
faire_jour is offline  
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #240 (permalink)
Siberian Husky
 
Smithtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,114
I think so feeling anybody tired maybe give up I think so fighter continue

reason
__________________
Smithtr is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.