AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Sign Language & Oralism
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Deaf and Dumb School

Deaf and Dumb schools were in late 1800's and early 1900's

Quiz: How to sign "deaf and dumb"?
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
You talking about History? I learned from Deaf Studies class. I personally not like that word say Deaf and Dumb or Deaf for Dumb. I thought it's offensive. It's my opinion.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
You talking about History? I learned from Deaf Studies class. I personally not like that word say Deaf and Dumb or Deaf for Dumb. I thought it's offensive. It's my opinion.
Ask question what sign for it. I will check someone s correct sign to answer.
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,605
Blog Entries: 1
Sign for deaf and dumb is actually index finger from ear to mouth.

The sign for deaf is really " ear+closed"
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Sign for deaf and dumb is actually index finger from ear to mouth.

The sign for deaf is really " ear+closed"
dumb?
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,605
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarovian View Post
dumb?
When it reaches the mouth that is the indication of dumb as in "no speech"
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
When it reaches the mouth that is the indication of dumb as in "no speech"
You are prefect!!! You got A++++. I know that Almost deafiies have confused that dumb means "S" on forehead.
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,605
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarovian View Post
You are prefect!!! You got A++++. I know that Almost deafiies have confused that dumb means "S" on forehead.
Thanks! I am glad to have passed your test!

Will there be a prize?
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Bebonang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A
Posts: 8,279
The word for Deaf and Dumb back in the old days. I learned that it is suppose to be use your finger like number one from ear to mouth for Deaf and for the Dumb you close your hand like a alphabet A and hit your forehead. We did not like this term for Deaf and Dumb. But that is what the hearing people call us like that.
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Thanks! I am glad to have passed your test!

Will there be a prize?
I will send chocolate bars to you soon.
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Yeah, I agree with Botti. I remember the word. It's offensive by hearing people. Because not want to hear a word and speech. Several people called deaf with sign language is dumb. They don't understand about sign language to communicate instead of speak and hear.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarovian View Post
You are prefect!!! You got A++++. I know that Almost deafiies have confused that dumb means "S" on forehead.
Is that sign for Dumb "S" on forehead? How about "A" on forehead? I saw the people use 2 different letter sign.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,605
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
Is that sign for Dumb "S" on forehead? How about "A" on forehead? I saw the people use 2 different letter sign.
That sign though on forehead means "stupid" It is different from the "dumb" sign at mouth that only means no speech.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebonang View Post
The word for Deaf and Dumb back in the old days. I learned that it is suppose to be use your finger like number one from ear to mouth for Deaf and for the Dumb you close your hand like a alphabet A and hit your forehead. We did not like this term for Deaf and Dumb. But that is what the hearing people call us like that.
Yes. All schools s name had changed from "deaf and dumb" to "deaf" since late 1940's or early 1950's
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
That sign though on forehead means "stupid" It is different from the "dumb" sign at mouth that only means no speech.
Right. Deaf and dumb means deaf-mute
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,898
Yeah it's deaf - mute.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Anij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,242
yep - "DEAF" + "NOT+TALK" ... or at least here that's how we sign it

what's the prize???
Anij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 12,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~♥~Pinky~♥~ View Post
Is that sign for Dumb "S" on forehead? How about "A" on forehead? I saw the people use 2 different letter sign.
I was wondering about that too. I've always used the "A" to indicate "dumb" (as in dumb, not as in mute.)
__________________
"Living rent-free in someone's head is quite heady. Pun intended." - Tad Weaver
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,780
Dumb has always meant as slow or low intelligence, mute means lack of speech.

I believe that the sign you were talking about is more of deaf-mute, not deaf-dumb.

Deaf-dumb is inaccurate as it implies that low intelligence comes with deafness. Deaf-mute is inaccurate as it implies deaf people cannot speak.

If you cannot speak, then you're mute. No offense should be taken to that.
netrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post
Dumb has always meant as slow or low intelligence, mute means lack of speech.

I believe that the sign you were talking about is more of deaf-mute, not deaf-dumb.

Deaf-dumb is inaccurate as it implies that low intelligence comes with deafness. Deaf-mute is inaccurate as it implies deaf people cannot speak.

If you cannot speak, then you're mute. No offense should be taken to that.
WRONG!

dumb - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

It comes from a root word meaning to be unable to speak.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Bebonang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A
Posts: 8,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
WRONG!

dumb - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

It comes from a root word meaning to be unable to speak.
Wow, that is a new meaning for the word "dumb" coming from a dictionary. Maybe the author of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary have a second thought about that word "dumb" from stupid to unable to speak. Very interesting!
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
WRONG!

dumb - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

It comes from a root word meaning to be unable to speak.
This is a shock! What's even more of a shock is that Oxford Dictionaries verified this!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Anij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
This is a shock! What's even more of a shock is that Oxford Dictionaries verified this!
?
No - the poster who mentioned the the original meaning of the word "dumb" meaning unable to speak is correct - but it meant that ove a hundred years ago...over time dumb started to be connected to meaning "dumb people" (non-speaking people) were unintelligent because they were unable to speak. This associate in words continued until the meaning of dumb no longer primarily meant unable to speak, but instead meant someone who was "stupid" or unintelligent.

We see this type of mutation of word meaning all the time ... just think of the word "cool" ... which used to primarily mean an indication of temperature - now the common usage of "cool" also means something that is "neat", "hip" etc.

Of course as the usage and meaning of words change we (people in general) have a responsibly to not only remind ourselves and others of the original meaning, but also correct improper connections, and culturally/socially/politically/morally offensive usage of the word when necessary. This is seen clearly the case of the word "dumb"
Anij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Bebonang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A
Posts: 8,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anij View Post
?
No - the poster who mentioned the the original meaning of the word "dumb" meaning unable to speak is correct - but it meant that ove a hundred years ago...over time dumb started to be connected to meaning "dumb people" (non-speaking people) were unintelligent because they were unable to speak. This associate in words continued until the meaning of dumb no longer primarily meant unable to speak, but instead meant someone who was "stupid" or unintelligent.

We see this type of mutation of word meaning all the time ... just think of the word "cool" ... which used to primarily mean an indication of temperature - now the common usage of "cool" also means something that is "neat", "hip" etc.

Of course as the usage and meaning of words change we (people in general) have a responsibly to not only remind ourselves and others of the original meaning, but also correct improper connections, and culturally/socially/politically/morally offensive usage of the word when necessary. This is seen clearly the case of the word "dumb"
I am sorry for being blunt about the word "dumb". Would the OP and you forgive me for not thinking too clear on the idea of being stupid. Everyone of us have different ideas about the words that we misunderstand. You are absolutely right. Again I am sorry.
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
web730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,271
Yeah, all it was mis-interpreted as a word (dumb) by the people for a long time till recent times.

Boy, am I glad that it was removed (deaf and dumb) altogether!
web730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anij View Post
?
No - the poster who mentioned the the original meaning of the word "dumb" meaning unable to speak is correct - but it meant that ove a hundred years ago...over time dumb started to be connected to meaning "dumb people" (non-speaking people) were unintelligent because they were unable to speak. This associate in words continued until the meaning of dumb no longer primarily meant unable to speak, but instead meant someone who was "stupid" or unintelligent.

We see this type of mutation of word meaning all the time ... just think of the word "cool" ... which used to primarily mean an indication of temperature - now the common usage of "cool" also means something that is "neat", "hip" etc.

Of course as the usage and meaning of words change we (people in general) have a responsibly to not only remind ourselves and others of the original meaning, but also correct improper connections, and culturally/socially/politically/morally offensive usage of the word when necessary. This is seen clearly the case of the word "dumb"
Yup, meaning of some words do change over time. I am old enough to remember that gay meant happy, not homosexual.

I also understood that in the past, dumb mean not able to speak because of the bible where few men were struck dumb. It had nothing to do with intelligent.
__________________

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Liza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 4,367
Blog Entries: 2
How come don't they use mute instead of 'dumb'?
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,750
The deaf school where I attended as a day student had several cheerleading/football banners that had both dumb and mute on them. The school had them on the display in the gym building. I remember trying to get my cousins and hearing friends away from that display.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 853
Send a message via AIM to David Send a message via MSN to David Send a message via Yahoo to David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
Yup, meaning of some words do change over time. I am old enough to remember that gay meant happy, not homosexual.

I also understood that in the past, dumb mean not able to speak because of the bible where few men were struck dumb. It had nothing to do with intelligent.
This is very true. There was a time, I think in the early 20's, when "fag" meant cigarette.

"Excuse me. Do you have a match so I can light my fag?"
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rastaboy43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston,tx
Posts: 31
Send a message via AIM to rastaboy43
i am hearing but been signing sence i was 8 but starting to forget a lot of ASL.... just to say that i never like the term deaf and dumb, that should change and be left back in time... no one is dumb
rastaboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.