AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
JanatheShort
Registered User
 
JanatheShort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 358
CI users and the Deaf community

As a hearing person, I've been reading on here and learning a lot. I really appreciate being allowed to sort of join your world.

Today I saw a post that disturbed me... from what I understood, it was a hearing mom of a child with a CI. She talked about her child learning speech more naturally, and how her child would get to interact with the Deaf community... eventually.

Eventually?

This made me curious about how the Deaf community is responding to children with CIs. Are they included in the Deaf community, if the parents expose them to it?

Yes, I know a lot of parents won't... but I'm asking about the parents who do. Like, if a child had a CI today and was raised to be bilingual in ASL and English... and was exposed to the Deaf community at events... how will the Deaf community react? Would the reaction be different if the child didn't learn ASL?
JanatheShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,489
Blog Entries: 3
The Deaf community would be accepting of the child if the parent doesnt have audist attitudes. If a parent tells the community that their child doesnt need them right now but will later, that will not be taken very well. It is offensive..like we are 2nd class. If the parents say that they want their deaf child learn ASL and be involved with the Deaf community so the child can have exposure to both world, I dont think many members will have a problem with that.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Frisky Feline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,742
I am with shel.

What I like is to see any small kids with CIs have good social network with other Deaf kids or Deaf Kids with CI who knows both world. so they would not be too isolate themseve from each other at a much earlier the better.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
DeafCaroline
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
In my town, there are many CI wearers in the Deaf community. Most of them went to the Oral school then eventually learned sign while still in high school or after graduation. They get along very well with the Deaf and are very tight-knit with them.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
green427
Registered User
 
green427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The First State
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post
This made me curious about how the Deaf community is responding to children with CIs. Are they included in the Deaf community, if the parents expose them to it?

Yes, I know a lot of parents won't... but I'm asking about the parents who do. Like, if a child had a CI today and was raised to be bilingual in ASL and English... and was exposed to the Deaf community at events... how will the Deaf community react? Would the reaction be different if the child didn't learn ASL?

1) If you read all the posts in the CI section from 1-4 years ago, you will see that many, if not most of the responses to these kind of questions have been negative.

2) It all depends on who you are talking to. Some deaf folks are open and accepting of any child with CI's....others are not.

3) The brand new Delaware School for the Deaf has an entire wing dedicated to deaf children with CI's. These children are free to interact with the rest of the community. There will always be conflict, though.

I was raised in the hearing world with oral skills only, and shunned by the ASL deaf community because I did not have ASL skills, and since I got my CI's, some deaf folks shunned me just because I have CI's. If I use ASL only and remove my CI's, some deaf folks will assume I am "one of them" and accept me.

So, bottom line is, it all depends on who you are interacting with. As a parent, do what you think is best for your child, and always, always try to put yourself in your child's shoes.
green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
flip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post
As a hearing person, I've been reading on here and learning a lot. I really appreciate being allowed to sort of join your world.

Today I saw a post that disturbed me... from what I understood, it was a hearing mom of a child with a CI. She talked about her child learning speech more naturally, and how her child would get to interact with the Deaf community... eventually.

Eventually?

This made me curious about how the Deaf community is responding to children with CIs. Are they included in the Deaf community, if the parents expose them to it?

Yes, I know a lot of parents won't... but I'm asking about the parents who do. Like, if a child had a CI today and was raised to be bilingual in ASL and English... and was exposed to the Deaf community at events... how will the Deaf community react? Would the reaction be different if the child didn't learn ASL?
Not sure what you ask about. Doubt deaf community have all the answers. A question is also how parents react to the deaf community. What do they want from exposure? Do they have their own ideas how a community should react to this or that? Think you have to ask everyone involved, included the child.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
eggyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Blackpool
Posts: 122
Blog Entries: 1
If a child born with no hearing so how do they hear ? if Hearing aids is not helping her to learn sound & speak and CI maybe help her if she respond to sound and speak .That is a improvement for child life .CI is amazing piece technology
I don't care what deaf community got to say because i was born deaf with 2 powerfully hearing aids luckily i know exactly what they say through my hearing aids as i got older my hearing got worse so is either go being silent hearing for rest my life NO THANK YOU ,So i am considering CI
Depend on child if CHILD will to listen or speak if they cannot do that then child will have to learn ASL ,Child will communication with ASL and be part deaf community
eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
AlleyCat
Registered User
 
AlleyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In my time zone
Posts: 12,189
That's totally fine. We respect your decision as an adult to be considering getting one. There are a number of people on this board that got CIs as adults.
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
eggyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Blackpool
Posts: 122
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
That's totally fine. We respect your decision as an adult to be considering getting one. There are a number of people on this board that got CIs as adults.
Thank ,yeah i was searching about CI ,Blogs etc etc they r doing well with CI,It is was interesting story & yeah i noticed it ,I want to add em


Hearing loss
eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
JanatheShort
Registered User
 
JanatheShort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
The Deaf community would be accepting of the child if the parent doesnt have audist attitudes. If a parent tells the community that their child doesnt need them right now but will later, that will not be taken very well. It is offensive..like we are 2nd class. If the parents say that they want their deaf child learn ASL and be involved with the Deaf community so the child can have exposure to both world, I dont think many members will have a problem with that.
That makes sense. No community wants to accept a parent who insults them!!! And yeah, of course the Deaf community could only accept the child if he/she is taught ASL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
I am with shel.

What I like is to see any small kids with CIs have good social network with other Deaf kids or Deaf Kids with CI who knows both world. so they would not be too isolate themseve from each other at a much earlier the better.
That also makes sense... I think it would be really scary to be a child with a CI and not know ASL. What if the CI breaks? The child would be so scared if he didn't know ASL! Plus, if the child knows kids who are Deaf or Deaf with CI, the child can learn about both worlds... and when they are older, they can choose to live in one world or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
In my town, there are many CI wearers in the Deaf community. Most of them went to the Oral school then eventually learned sign while still in high school or after graduation. They get along very well with the Deaf and are very tight-knit with them.
Wow!!! That's very awesome! I'm happy to hear that if a parent makes the decision for the child to be oral, the child can still choose later to join the Deaf community.

all for your answers. I'm learning a lot, and I'm sure when I have clients with a deaf child, I will be able to give answers that are a little more educated now. But I'll continue to read and learn here.
JanatheShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
JanatheShort
Registered User
 
JanatheShort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by green427 View Post
1) If you read all the posts in the CI section from 1-4 years ago, you will see that many, if not most of the responses to these kind of questions have been negative.

2) It all depends on who you are talking to. Some deaf folks are open and accepting of any child with CI's....others are not.

3) The brand new Delaware School for the Deaf has an entire wing dedicated to deaf children with CI's. These children are free to interact with the rest of the community. There will always be conflict, though.

I was raised in the hearing world with oral skills only, and shunned by the ASL deaf community because I did not have ASL skills, and since I got my CI's, some deaf folks shunned me just because I have CI's. If I use ASL only and remove my CI's, some deaf folks will assume I am "one of them" and accept me.

So, bottom line is, it all depends on who you are interacting with. As a parent, do what you think is best for your child, and always, always try to put yourself in your child's shoes.
You have really interesting things to say. I wonder why the CI wing is seperate from the other children? Perhaps because oral skills are emphasized more than ASL? I tried to look at the school's website but didn't find anything about the CI program.

I wonder if your experience is common of adults getting CIs?
JanatheShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Banjo
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by green427 View Post
I was raised in the hearing world with oral skills only, and shunned by the ASL deaf community because I did not have ASL skills, and since I got my CI's, some deaf folks shunned me just because I have CI's. If I use ASL only and remove my CI's, some deaf folks will assume I am "one of them" and accept me.
What a delirious observation you have made here. You are not the first, nor will be the last to pin the blame on the Deaf community for your problems. More likely than not, you are in denial. If you continue to choose to blame someone else for your problems and that approach is not going to get you anywhere in life.

A change in attitude is what you need. Otherwise, you will continue to feel the burning sting of rejection.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Banjo
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post
I wonder if your experience is common of adults getting CIs?
We have plenty of adults with CIs here and they get along with us just fine. It's the attitude that makes all the difference in the world.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
DeafCaroline
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
What a delirious observation you have made here. You are not the first, nor will be the last to pin the blame on the Deaf community for your problems. More likely than not, you are in denial. If you continue to choose to blame someone else for your problems and that approach is not going to get you anywhere in life.

A change in attitude is what you need. Otherwise, you will continue to feel the burning sting of rejection.
I too grew up Oral and mainstreamed and was badly treated by the deaf community when I got a job as a day camp counselor for the deaf.

Looking back on it now, I completely understand why that happened. I had the wrong attitude and they didn't react well to that. I was friendly but when i think about it now, I know I had the belief that I was more privileged than them because I was oral and they definitely picked up on that even if I never expressed that belief outwardly. Also, I was young and insecure and so were they.

My second foray into the deaf community was a completely opposite experience. They knew all about my background but warmly welcomed me because I have changed and no longer have this belief that I'm better off than them or smarter because I grew up oral.

It's all about attitude.

I've been to a few events at the deaf org and have to say that I closely observed the interaction between signing deaf and speaking CI kids - the CI kids who did succeed in integrating into the deaf community were the ones who didn't act snobby and were very open to learning and using sign - they didn't make faces when they didn't understand the signing but instead were eager to learn what those signs meant. The CI kids who didn't integrate, they were reflecting their parents' behaviour. Their parents didn't try very hard to speak or socialize with the signing deaf but instead kept to themselves and stuck to their own kind.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
green427
Registered User
 
green427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The First State
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
What a delirious observation you have made here. You are not the first, nor will be the last to pin the blame on the Deaf community for your problems. More likely than not, you are in denial. If you continue to choose to blame someone else for your problems and that approach is not going to get you anywhere in life.

A change in attitude is what you need. Otherwise, you will continue to feel the burning sting of rejection.
Not blaming anyone here. Just my point of view. I did eventually learn ASL and can now communicate with other deaf people. So, I did have the right attitude.
green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
green427
Registered User
 
green427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The First State
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post
I wonder if your experience is common of adults getting CIs?
Nope, everyone has a different experience.
green427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post


That also makes sense... I think it would be really scary to be a child with a CI and not know ASL. What if the CI breaks? The child would be so scared if he didn't know ASL! Plus, if the child knows kids who are Deaf or Deaf with CI, the child can learn about both worlds... and when they are older, they can choose to live in one world or both.



Wow!!! That's very awesome! I'm happy to hear that if a parent makes the decision for the child to be oral, the child can still choose later to join the Deaf community.

)
Exactly. Oral, meaning both auditory verbal and auditory oral kids cannot function without their CI or hearing aid. If it breaks or the kid isn't in optimum listening conditions, they're up shit creek.
And yes, kids can join the Deaf Comunity later, but on the other hand....I think that dhh kids should have the right to learn ASL and take advantage of Deaf Ed programs, instead of being solotaire.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
Looking back on it now, I completely understand why that happened. I had the wrong attitude and they didn't react well to that. I was friendly but when i think about it now, I know I had the belief that I was more privileged than them because I was oral and they definitely picked up on that even if I never expressed that belief outwardly. Also, I was young and insecure and so were they.

My second foray into the deaf community was a completely opposite experience. They knew all about my background but warmly welcomed me because I have changed and no longer have this belief that I'm better off than them or smarter because I grew up oral.

It's all about attitude.

.
Exactly! The root cause of discrimination against oral only tends to orgionate in their ATTITUDE! I have a friend who claims that the local signing community discrimates against her....but the thing is she's SO high and mighty (in general too so I'm guessing that the local deaf community picked up on that) about thinking that she got a better education or has more ops b/c she's oral (and she has really hard to understand speech and her writing and reading abilty is HORRIBLE)
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by green427 View Post
The brand new Delaware School for the Deaf has an entire wing dedicated to deaf children with CI's. These children are free to interact with the rest of the community. There will always be conflict, though.

I was raised in the hearing world with oral skills only, and shunned by the ASL deaf community because I did not have ASL skills, and since I got my CI's, some deaf folks shunned me just because I have CI's. If I use ASL only and remove my CI's, some deaf folks will assume I am "one of them" and accept me.

.
That's GOOD that there's a wing for them. That way they can benifit from stuff specificly for CIs...Is it also for kids who are oral and have HA?
and yeah, there are anti CI folks in the community. So what? Twenty or thirty years ago you would have seen anti HA folks in the community!
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Bottesini
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,720
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
Exactly! The root cause of discrimination against oral only tends to orgionate in their ATTITUDE! I have a friend who claims that the local signing community discrimates against her....but the thing is she's SO high and mighty (in general too so I'm guessing that the local deaf community picked up on that) about thinking that she got a better education or has more ops b/c she's oral (and she has really hard to understand speech and her writing and reading abilty is HORRIBLE)
You seem to be judging your friend in exactly the way you say she judges the local signing community!
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
You seem to be judging your friend in exactly the way you say she judges the local signing community!
I am not judging lol. Simply describing her ability. She has really bad speech, and really bad English. Like she fell through the cracks majorly...she didn't even do Resource Room/special ed. She cannot write a coherent sentance, and she constantly misunderstands what she reads. Yet, she acts like she got a Harvard education. I know that it isn't her fault that she cannot write well... I'm not being all "I'm better then her." It's just that she is a classic "fell through the cracks" kid.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
In my town, there are many CI wearers in the Deaf community. Most of them went to the Oral school then eventually learned sign while still in high school or after graduation. They get along very well with the Deaf and are very tight-knit with them.
I think that kids need to learn ASL ASAP. It now does not take years for kids to develop oral skills, like it did when Clarke was booming.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
deafbajagal
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
I think that kids need to learn ASL ASAP. It now does not take years for kids to develop oral skills, like it did when Clarke was booming.
?
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Frisky Feline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
I think that kids need to learn ASL ASAP. It now does not take years for kids to develop oral skills, like it did when Clarke was booming.
im sure that some of them would look for an alternative communcation methods like it did happen to others.

Last edited by Frisky Feline; 02-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
JanatheShort
Registered User
 
JanatheShort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
im sure that some of them would look for an alternation communcation methods like it did happen to others.
What kind of alternative communication?
JanatheShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
DeafCaroline
Registered User
 
DeafCaroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanatheShort View Post
What kind of alternative communication?
Anything other than speaking.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
JanatheShort
Registered User
 
JanatheShort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 358
So, ASL, texting, writing notes, etc?
JanatheShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
KarissaMann05
Premium Member
 
KarissaMann05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 6,737
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
I am fine with people with CIs as long as no one shove me to get a CI.
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
deafdyke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Trebekistan
Posts: 14,080
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
?
Back even in the 70's and 80's, it took awhile for kids to develop speech skills. That was the argument for oral first and waiting til speech developed...b/c it took so long for deaf kids to develop speech, that they HAD to go to deaf school to learn how to speak.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
JDHammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarissaMann05 View Post
I am fine with people with CIs as long as no one shove me to get a CI.
I agree - I hate it when ppl try and say that that would be better for you and all but I give them the all knowing universal sign then tell them to bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
Back even in the 70's and 80's, it took awhile for kids to develop speech skills. That was the argument for oral first and waiting til speech developed...b/c it took so long for deaf kids to develop speech, that they HAD to go to deaf school to learn how to speak.
Seriously? hmm I suppose I could agree thats how it was... kinda sad really.

I became deaf when I was 5 - one punch in the head did it and at a time, I really didn't like being deaf, but i eventually got used to it. I've always had a hearing aid and never anything else. But besides that... Mom sent me to hearing schools with support for the deaf, but it wasn't all that great up till I hit 6th grade.

Before that, I never had an interpreter, not once. I don't know how i got through school....I really can't remember much of anything, except having to play in music class... and when i look back on it...it's like the biggest WTF thing in my life, but after 6th grade, thats when things turned out to be awesome! Getting interpreter support was better, way better than anything i've had, but going to NTID was the biggest shock of my life. All during HS, i took my own notes, I did not have a note taker at all and hitting College was a big change because as the professors always told us to pay attention and go over the notes later - they always handed out notes anyway so we could all but watch and discuss, but jeez... there have been times when I wished things could have been different. Different as in a deaf school, but I guess things happen for a reason...
JDHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.