AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Introduce Yourself
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone xXx

Hi, everyone, I am Timothy's Mum, Sheryl..... Timothy is five & has failed his two hearing tests at school, plus she shouts a lot. I think his speech is ok but does often miss here words. He failed both hearing tests when he was one as well but they said he was fine when he went for a "special" hearing test..... Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen next... I have been to the Dr today & they are going to refer us again which is good. I am just a little worried as this is Five hearing tests he has failed but he seems to be able to hear, even though I said from birth I thought he had some hearing loss as he only jumped to load noises & vibrations xXx
Timothy's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
celly37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have they talked about hearing aids for him? I would assume that would be the next step, its always good to start signing with him, if you havent already. Speech is great, but it may be easier for him to learn to sign for when hearing is harder (he may be able to hear more some days then others) Also (Im an early childhood education major) its actually more benificial for him to be able to speak both languages (asl, and English) it promotes brain development becuause it is verbal, and phyiscal, and the more parts of your brain you stimulate at a time the more retension will occur. I hope everything works out with your little guy! please message me if you have any other questions
celly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, the strange thing is I have always signed with him, especially when he is being unruly as the visual seems to calm him down..... The thing that confuses me is he can hear but I have always thought there is something wrong & I must admit am a little annoyed that when he went for the test before they said he was fine & has now failed the tests again & we have been putting his behaviour down to him just being naughty.
There has been no mention of aids yet as we need the appointment at the hospital first
Obviously you have not ever met him but could the shouting when talking & also being really scared when he wakes at night be to do with his hearing xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted (droid)

Hard of hearing people shout because we can't hear our own voices. It's difficult to modulate my voice.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celly37 View Post
Have they talked about hearing aids for him? I would assume that would be the next step, its always good to start signing with him, if you havent already. Speech is great, but it may be easier for him to learn to sign for when hearing is harder (he may be able to hear more some days then others) Also (Im an early childhood education major) its actually more benificial for him to be able to speak both languages (asl, and English) it promotes brain development becuause it is verbal, and phyiscal, and the more parts of your brain you stimulate at a time the more retension will occur. I hope everything works out with your little guy! please message me if you have any other questions
You're deaf? HOH?
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 82 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celly37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
You're deaf? HOH?
No, she's a new ASL student.

Quote from Celly37

Quote:
Hearing ASL student

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to get connected on oovoo or even skype (but prefer oovoo since we can get more people on at a time) with any ASL students or honestly anyone willing to sign with me! I have only completed ASL 1 and I just started ASL 2. I would like to become more fluent and comfortable signing and I really want to learn as much as I can so I can communicate with the deaf effectively!! Girls only please! Also if anyone has any tips on how i can better help my fiancee learn ASL I would love to hear them! He works at a hospital and he had a deaf patient not too long ago, and realized he really needs to learn ASL, he felt awful that he could not communicate with him almost at all. I dont really know how to teach him because i am still learning too :/ If anyone would be willing to skype or oovoo with us and teach us some signs that would be useful in a hospital situation we would really really appreciate it! <3
Probably not the best place for a parent of a deaf child to take advice.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
No, she's a new ASL student.

Quote from Celly37

Probably not the best place for a parent of a deaf child to take advice.
Agreed.

Timothy's mom - I advise you to take advice from those who are actual experts in deaf education and have a real insight into deaf needs.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy's Mum View Post
Hi, the strange thing is I have always signed with him, especially when he is being unruly as the visual seems to calm him down..... The thing that confuses me is he can hear but I have always thought there is something wrong & I must admit am a little annoyed that when he went for the test before they said he was fine & has now failed the tests again & we have been putting his behaviour down to him just being naughty.
There has been no mention of aids yet as we need the appointment at the hospital first
Obviously you have not ever met him but could the shouting when talking & also being really scared when he wakes at night be to do with his hearing xXx
Deafness does not cause nightmares. However, how one is treated because they are deaf could make one sleep badly.

Your son did not fail, he is not a failure. His hearing levels were simply diagnosed. You need to reframe the view on deafness and take out words that suggest that if one is deaf, they have failed. By using different words, you will have changed your outlook and your child's for the better.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Cheetah
Cheetah Consulting-Closed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Hi, everyone, I am Timothy's Mum, Sheryl..... Timothy is five & has failed his two hearing tests at school, plus she shouts a lot. I think his speech is ok but does often miss here words. He failed both hearing tests when he was one as well but they said he was fine when he went for a "special" hearing test..... Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen next... I have been to the Dr today & they are going to refer us again which is good. I am just a little worried as this is Five hearing tests he has failed but he seems to be able to hear, even though I said from birth I thought he had some hearing loss as he only jumped to load noises & vibrations xXx
Hey TM... get yourself a second opinion. Also explore other auditory issues because hearing is not just limited to the ear. There are complex process involved with the brain as well.

If you need some recommendations, let us know about where you are located so someone here can point you in the right direction. At this point, we really know too little about your son to really tell you what is going on.
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop the "unruly" label, too. Little boys are full of adventurous energy. If you can't manage him, try some parenting classes to learn some new techniques (this has nothing to do with hearing). I recommend Parenting with Love and Logic.
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Cheetah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sallylou, that's a great suggestion! labeling a kid can become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to candybrowneyes
Yeah, I was really confused as to what "failing" the hearing test meant. If there's a way to "pass" it let me know lol....
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Cheetah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candybrowneyes View Post
Yeah, I was really confused as to what "failing" the hearing test meant. If there's a way to "pass" it let me know lol....
ROFL! At Gallaudet you failed the hearing test if your results were not "bad" enough to qualify for assistance. You passed it if you got really high decibel levels!

It's hard for parents of deaf or hoh children to understand how their children can possibly be so damn happy with out being able to hear well. Well, gosh darn-it, I cannot explain it except to say "it is what it is".
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I have not under any circumstances labelled Timothy, I only used the word unrully as I did not want to say he is naughty as he is never (in my eyes, naughty) after all he is just a child & has a right to act like a child..... I have never said he is a failure & he is not treated any different to my other children.... The school said he failed his test, I asked the school how he failed & they said I had to talk to the Dr, who told me he is going to be refered to the hospital & so far have had no answers apart from the fact he is somewhat deaf. The degree or anything else I have no idea xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Cheetah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well TM, do keep coming back here, let us know how you are doing. Even if Timothy is only a little bit deaf, there are many here (including me) that started out that way and may be able to give you feedback and suggestions that hopefully will make his life that much fuller and richer.
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is what I am looking for thank you. The school & the Dr has so far not been much help at all xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone, I have not under any circumstances labelled Timothy, I only used the word unrully as I did not want to say he is naughty as he is never (in my eyes, naughty) after all he is just a child & has a right to act like a child..... I have never said he is a failure & he is not treated any different to my other children.... The school said he failed his test, I asked the school how he failed & they said I had to talk to the Dr, who told me he is going to be refered to the hospital & so far have had no answers apart from the fact he is somewhat deaf. The degree or anything else I have no idea xXx
Ok this helps, it wasn't performed by an audiologist. That may be where you want to go. From there if there's issues the audiologist is concerned about they can refer you to an ENT.
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it was an Audiologist that came in to the school xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 82 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
But now you have a referral to an ENT at the hospital, correct?

That's a good starting point to find out the reasons.
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I'm even more confused then. If it were an audiologist I have a hard time understanding why they would say he failed the tests instead of explaining the test results to you. Maybe it's me but I remember the little beep tests from elementary school, totally different than the tests that I have now. I'd get another test somewhere else regardless of the hospital appointment.
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Timothy is being referred to the hospital & I am awaiting a call from them & if we are sent to the same place as before I will be asking for another opinion as they were the people that told us when he was one, that he was fine & not to worry, even though we said we felt he had problems & when he had the first tests done, the surgery said he failed xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
Timothy's Mum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I'm even more confused then. If it were an audiologist I have a hard time understanding why they would say he failed the tests instead of explaining the test results to you. Maybe it's me but I remember the little beep tests from elementary school, totally different than the tests that I have now. I'd get another test somewhere else regardless of the hospital appointment.
I got a letter back from the school saying... Your son has failed both his hearing tests & I need to go see his Dr so he can be referred..... Which I did this morning... She said he does talk very loud & sounds like he is probably deaf in some way, so the tests are correct & she would refer us. Obviously i have no idea how he has failed the test & I spoke to them at length with no luck what so ever, so that is why I am here.
I also asked the school if the tests were done by a proper person that does that sort of thing, i did not know what they were called at that stage & they said yes..... I also asked how did he fail & what did they do & actually go no answer back xXx
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I got a letter back from the school saying... Your son has failed both his hearing tests & I need to go see his Dr so he can be referred..... Which I did this morning... She said he does talk very loud & sounds like he is probably deaf in some way, so the tests are correct & she would refer us. Obviously i have no idea how he has failed the test & I spoke to them at length with no luck what so ever, so that is why I am here.
I also asked the school if the tests were done by a proper person that does that sort of thing, i did not know what they were called at that stage & they said yes..... I also asked how did he fail & what did they do & actually go no answer back xXx
That's strange that you had to ask how he failed and that they seemingly didn't tell you how the tests were performed. Didn't they show you the audiogram?
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
That's strange that you had to ask how he failed and that they seemingly didn't tell you how the tests were performed. Didn't they show you the audiogram?
THIS. ^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I'm trying to figure out as well, the op is asking fornhelp and I'm trying to tell her what she needs to do. Seriously, screw what to school is saying to you and find your own audiologist! I don't want to sound mean but if you are asking us what to do, I'm telling you you need to stop listening to the people who obviously don't know what they are talking about aside from telling you your son failed a hearing test. Go to an audiologist, where YOU sit with him while he has his tests, and where the Audi can tell you what it all means. And at that point if something comes up on his tests that the Audi doesn't like you will be referred to a specialist. The op already said she's taken him to this same hospital, and had numerous hearing tests he's failed.

Google your town name and audiologist, call... Make an appointment for a hearing test..
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also I realize you have been referred by the school audiologist but it has been in my experience that they show you the tests and explain what they mean, they don't tell you, you simply fail. That's why I made the comment about passing it. What's failing? Cause he doesn't hear something? What doesn't he hear. This is why you need to go to another professional.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
THIS. ^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I'm trying to figure out as well, the op is asking fornhelp and I'm trying to tell her what she needs to do. Seriously, screw what to school is saying to you and find your own audiologist! I don't want to sound mean but if you are asking us what to do, I'm telling you you need to stop listening to the people who obviously don't know what they are talking about aside from telling you your son failed a hearing test. Go to an audiologist, where YOU sit with him while he has his tests, and where the Audi can tell you what it all means. And at that point if something comes up on his tests that the Audi doesn't like you will be referred to a specialist. The op already said she's taken him to this same hospital, and had numerous hearing tests he's failed.

Google your town name and audiologist, call... Make an appointment for a hearing test..
I never even knew schools performed hearing tests and/or audiograms till now.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I never even knew schools performed hearing tests and/or audiograms till now.
When I was a kid I remember having a generic type hearing test. Put the ear things on and raise the hand on the side u hear the beep... I think it was just a general type test. But it's not like the tests you receive from a professional audiologist
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Cheetah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recall a hearing test at my elementary school, I just remember being shuffled around with no idea why. But then again my memories of that time period are almost non existent...
Open daily 9 ~ 5
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
When I was a kid I remember having a generic type hearing test. Put the ear things on and raise the hand on the side u hear the beep... I think it was just a general type test. But it's not like the tests you receive from a professional audiologist
Huh. I didn't know schools performed any hearing tests at all.

I was never tested in school but then again, I was diagnosed before entering school.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Cheetah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit ... I decided putting controversial stuff into an intro thread is probably not good form. *Cheers*
Open daily 9 ~ 5