This is horrible !
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Grummer

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
this is tragic and shouldnt be allowed, its arent dogs faults, its human and fixing it up like this on innocent lives...is sickening
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Jens_Cats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, just don't get me started on PETA. They are bad, bad people.

Secondly, this is a crock! Most cities/townships have animal control programs. Municipalities that turn to "just shooting/killing stray animals" are lazy.

If you talk to the average person, the average person supports no kill methods of animal control. It is not difficult, and it does not involve hoarding, as some people would have folks believe. It only requires dedicated people getting together and making it happen.

I'm sorry for my rant, but I'm really sick of the way our society treats animals.

Jen M.
Jens_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PETA is bad how?
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
JabberJay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to JabberJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
PETA is bad how?
they admit (on their website and in interviews) that all domesticated animals are better off dead than in a loving home. They frequently adopt from shelters and over 90% of those animals are put down within the year. (our no-kill shelter refuses to adopt out to peta anymore because of this. ) among other things that my tired brain can't seems to remember.
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why people should spay and neuter their pets. A lot of people shouldn't even own a pet in the first place.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabberJay View Post
they admit (on their website and in interviews) that all domesticated animals are better off dead than in a loving home. They frequently adopt from shelters and over 90% of those animals are put down within the year. (our no-kill shelter refuses to adopt out to peta anymore because of this. ) among other things that my tired brain can't seems to remember.
Hmmm....if you can send a link to a page on the PETA that said domesticated animals are better off dead, I'd appreciate it.

I wanted Jens Cat to explain how they are bad.
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm....if you can send a link to a page on the PETA that said domesticated animals are better off dead, I'd appreciate it.

Here is what I found...

PETA Kills Animals: Proof PETA Kills
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's what I figured, that PETA would be known for having killed animals. Here's the thing though. There's just simply not enough people adopting animals and it costs a lot of money to run a shelter. If there's not enough donations or people adopting, they dont have a choice, just like all shelters (excepting no-kills) don't have a choice. If the money is not there, those animals would have starved to death. Incidentally, millions of animals are killed every single year...why? Pet owners don't spay their pets and not enough people adopting. PETA is not exempt from this problem. Secondly, they are not an animal shelter, they're an animal rights organization. The purpose of their org is to promote awareness about animal cruelty and they've made huge impacts in that regard.
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I figured, that PETA would be known for having killed animals. Here's the thing though. There's just simply not enough people adopting animals and it costs a lot of money to run a shelter. If there's not enough donations or people adopting, they dont have a choice, just like all shelters (excepting no-kills) don't have a choice. If the money is not there, those animals would have starved to death. Incidentally, millions of animals are killed every single year...why? Pet owners don't spay their pets and not enough people adopting. PETA is not exempt from this problem. Secondly, they are not an animal shelter, they're an animal rights organization. The purpose of their org is to promote awareness about animal cruelty and they've made huge impacts in that regard.
Yet criminals are fed and clothed on a daily basis in prisons. There's so much wealth in the country, yet so few people and animals get any help at all.

Sad.
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
JabberJay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

ops I misremembered
they would rather them be extinct or that pet keeping never came into existence.

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."
-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

"We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding."
-- Wayne Pacelle, Senior Vice-President oF HSUS, formerly of Friends for Animals; Quoted in Animal People, May, 1993

"We feel that animals have the same rights as a retarded human child"
-- Alex Pacheco, then Chairman, People for the Ethical Treatment of animals [PETA] (New York Times, January 14, 1989)

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"ói.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"ónever existed."
Animal Rights Uncompromised: 'Pets' | PETA.org
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
JabberJay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
They (before the shelter banned them) took animals from the no-kill shelter and had them killed usually within the week if not within the day.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
whatdidyousay!

Liked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:

"Itís a thorny issue what to do with the dogs. Even PETA has said that humanely euthanizing them is better than what they may have to endure on their own. Feral dogs are susceptible to illness, injury, inclement weather, being hit by cars, and abuse by humans. And unlike coyotes or other wild animals, domestic breeds usually donít possess the instincts that can help them survive in an environment without human assistance. Whether itís kinder to humanely put these dogs to sleep rather than let them die slower, more painful deaths on the street is a subject of great debate." This was taken from the link I posted in this thread.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Part of the problem is a lot of people do not want to adopt a black or cat. Black dogs syndrome is very common, more black dogs and cats are killed because people are afraid of them. When my daughter and her husband adopted a black cat from an animal shelter they told that the shelter does not like to adopt out black cats around a holiday, it was close to Christmas when my daugther adopted her black cat. When my sister and I lived in Calif. her black dog was picked up by the ACO . My sister was told she had 10 days to get her dog ,she when to get her dog on the second day and it had already been killed because it was a black lab. A lot of animals shelters in my state had to closes for lack of funding and this mean more lost,or stray animals will be killed. To make matter worst a warning been put out to not leave your dog outside alone or in a car as people been stealing dogs to sell to labs to make money! Beagles are used a lot because they such sweet trusting dogs.
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
This is very sad. The people who don't take the trouble to spay or neuter their pets are really beneath comtempt.
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
ops I misremembered
they would rather them be extinct or that pet keeping never came into existence.

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."
-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

"We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding."
-- Wayne Pacelle, Senior Vice-President oF HSUS, formerly of Friends for Animals; Quoted in Animal People, May, 1993

-- Alex Pacheco, then Chairman, People for the Ethical Treatment of animals [PETA] (New York Times, January 14, 1989)

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed."
If pet keeping leads to killing of millions of domesticated animals every year, and in addition, there's also been unimaginable degree of cruelty demonstrated towards them, I can see why PETA says it's in the animals' best interests that pet keeping never existed.
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
If pet keeping leads to killing of millions of domesticated animals every year, and in addition, there's also been unimaginable degree of cruelty demonstrated towards them, I can see why PETA says it's in the animals' best interest that pet keeping never existed.
That's why I said that a lot of people shouldn't even own pets in the first place.
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
ops I misremembered

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"ói.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"ónever existed."
Did you know animals had rights before children did. There was a famous case case about a disable child that was being abused and the only way to help the child was to call her a dumb animal and say it was cruel to abuse a dumb animal.
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
That's why I said that a lot of people shouldn't even own pets in the first place.
I know a few people that should never have pets! We had a real neat ACO in our city, she would drive around looking for lost and abandoned pet. She found two older dogs that dumped off at gas station and the ACO found person that would take them both. The dogs where the sweetest dog , I could not believe a person could be that cruel and leave some older dogs to fend for themselves on the street!
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I know a few people that should never have pets! We had a real neat ACO in our city, she would drive around looking for lost and abandoned pet. She found two older dogs that dumped off at gas station and the ACO found person that would take them both. The dogs where the sweetest dog , I could not believe a person could be that cruel and leave some older dogs to fend for themselves on the street!
Yes, I know. I am the kind of person who would keep a pet, no matter what happens, I would never abandon it.
Unread 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
cmdrwhitewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Don't agree with Peta's view. And I'm not wild about outright extermination of stray dogs.

In MN we have some no kill shelters that accept animals from over populated shelters in other states.

It annoys me when I hear about Prisoners getting LCD tv's and cable access - couldn't that money be better spent boarding animals & training them for official duties instead? {shrugs} Just shows our society's priorities...
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
ki4jgt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ki4jgt
Are we all forgetting that animals CAN control their own populations? Alpha females are actually supposed to enforce and maintain the population of a particular herd or pack of animals. If there isn't enough food, the pack doesn't have sex as often and doesn't reproduce (in a naturally occuring habitat). The reason this doesn't happen today is because we humans seperate them. So their packs have become smaller, and then we hid their food and don't allow them to know how much they have. Then we refill it, leading them to believe that there is an infinite supply so they can reproduce as often as they like.
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwhitewolf View Post
I Don't agree with Peta's view. And I'm not wild about outright extermination of stray dogs.

In MN we have some no kill shelters that accept animals from over populated shelters in other states.

It annoys me when I hear about Prisoners getting LCD tv's and cable access - couldn't that money be better spent boarding animals & training them for official duties instead? {shrugs} Just shows our society's priorities...
Money better spent on millions and millions of animal that continue to breed in compound rates every year? Not only is there the issue of money but who would take care of them all? No one, that's why so many are being killed every year.
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Grummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Yet criminals are fed and clothed on a daily basis in prisons. There's so much wealth in the country, yet so few people and animals get any help at all.

Sad.
VERY, and that contradicts the idea of animals rights
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
Grummer

Quote:
Money better spent on millions and millions of animal that continue to breed in compound rates every year? Not only is there the issue of money but who would take care of them all? No one, that's why so many are being killed every year.
bollocks, but the thing is humans are basically 'wild' rampant on domination over animals; like it is hard to know if animals really are overpopulated, because when you consider 'wild' there are now hardly any place left for wild animals to live wild unrestrained and unhunted by poachers, on the other hand in the areas of civilisation, people are too lazy to think about animals, even in terms of pets, I'd bet even some of the most responsible pet "owners" are not responsible enough, for animals are treated as commodity something to buy and sell, to profit of 'esteemed breeds' and so on, I would argue that this has somehow created a consequence of societal kind - disregarding or downplaying the responsibilies with the "left overs" then while they mutts, moggys run about loose, it is animals 'freedom' to be themselves but doesnt find in huiman society...so then it became a "problem", funny thing is, :it is the HUMANs that were the "problems"..not just educating is going to enough, and you're right Caroline there is way too many now, its gone past the point of no return....sad very sad and scary for us all, not just animals getting killed, it could actuall become a biohazard matter if such a thing as an outbreak of a nasty viral disease spawned.... (this is silly thinking i know...im only metaphorically describing the we're irresponsible and nature can and does backfire on us as abusers of nature, im not even sure what im saying here - its just saying we ****ed it up Bad...and animal whether too many or not enough (hunting causing extinction), We , humans REALLY Messed it up....and dare i say, with institutional authorisation of some sorts to address it, itsnt gonna do shit...because i think...any institutional intervention of any kind will be 'allowed' only if their are human's side of the story having 'incentives' read 'money'....duh

In a weird way, its like this; nature and animals doesnt give a flying **** about places, humans seem to think places have to have money value attached to it, before evaluating situations, - its really stupid.

Last edited by Grummer; 01-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Grummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
ki4jgt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ki4jgt
Quote:
They need to create shelter similar to that of a zoo in which they're treated like they're in the wild. This would force them to start maintaining their own populations again instead of tricking them into believing that everything is OK.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
DeafCaroline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
They need to create shelter similar to that of a zoo in which they're treated like they're in the wild. This would force them to start maintaining their own populations again instead of tricking them into believing that everything is OK.
With what money? And also, there are millions upon millions of unwanted animals in shelters. there's not enough land nor money to do what you're proposing and i'm surprised you didn't mention spaying. They are way overpopulated right now.
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #29
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
Are we all forgetting that animals CAN control their own populations? Alpha females are actually supposed to enforce and maintain the population of a particular herd or pack of animals. If there isn't enough food, the pack doesn't have sex as often and doesn't reproduce (in a naturally occuring habitat). The reason this doesn't happen today is because we humans seperate them. So their packs have become smaller, and then we hid their food and don't allow them to know how much they have. Then we refill it, leading them to believe that there is an infinite supply so they can reproduce as often as they like.
That is true with wild animals not domestic pets like dogs and cats. Careless owners let their pets have litter after litter when they can't afford to care for them. We had cases of people in my state that hoarded dogs or cats , there would be 50 or more dogs or cats living in an unhealthy environment. The animals would underfed and but they where still breeding.
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
With what money? And also, there are millions upon millions of unwanted animals in shelters. there's not enough land nor money to do what you're proposing and i'm surprised you didn't mention spaying. They are way overpopulated right now.
I was going to say that too with what money. Animals shelters are closing all over the places as there is not enough money. The economy is still weak and food pantries for people are having a hard time too . There are some people that have a farm with land and they take in homeless or abused pets and try to find a good home for them. We need more people like Betty White , she does a lot of animals.