AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
diehardbiker

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Wood-burning stove

Seems that brutal winter guy finally arrived.

Wondering anyone of you got wood burning stove?

I had my woodstove running since last October and have not turned on Natural gas furnace yet (except the furnace fan itself). Lately, I have had it running non-stop for few days. My whole house has been steady 78-80 degrees. Kept refilling two water evaporators few times during day. Couldn't be any better than N'trl gas as heating source!
My wood stove can take coal, curious anyone here use coal? I found out that the cheapest heating source is coal if one got mined in area or nearby. What I learn is that it is more difficult to run coal than wood. Hmmm interesting.

I ended up decide go forward install woodstove last year. I grew up dealing with wood stove and love it. We go out to woods, cut down dead trees, cut em and splitting haul back home thus enjoying free heat. This year, its different as I do not have seasoned firewood so I bought some seasoned firewood locally to support locals instead of paying utility company where they export my dollars outside of my town. Next year, I got more than enough, got it free though craiglist.

Sometimes I wish I have wood burning furnace as it would be more efficient since they can run on its own except refilling the logs.

Seasoned firewood means it has been cut and sit for at least a year or longer. Very important because unseasoned firewood will not burn efficiently and create too much creosote which is known to cause chimney fires.

Feel free to discuss here

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
rockin'robin

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
My sister in N.C. has a wood burning stove/heater also. To my knowledge, they still use it. I do love the smell of her house whenever I go visit!

Grew up with a wood burning stove for cooking also. Awesome country cooking on it....and a wood burning fireplace.

Now, I'm all "cityfied"...CH&A.
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
PatsCats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to PatsCats
We have a fireplace. It's in the rec room downstairs, so it doesn't really heat the whole house. Does that count?

Can you burn coal indoors in a wood burning stove? I thought you had to have a special stove for coal, because it burns hotter, and releases carbon monoxide. I'm city folk, so I don't really know for sure.
PatsCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
whatdidyousay!

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
When I was taking Marty for his walk today in the cold I was thinking how nice it would be to go home and build fire in a wood stove! I had wood stoves when I lived in Calf. and I loved using them. I cooked on one when I lived Northern Cal. You can made a great bake potato in a wood stove . Do you cook on your wood stove. You could made a great pot of chili if you have the stove burning all day.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
DeafTim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
78-80 degrees? I would melt,seriously.

I have something very similar to wood-burning stove and that is outside wood furnance. I thought seasoned wood means it is ready to burn not cut and sit in woodpile for a yr. SMH... I have plenty of seasoned wood this yr. woot woot.... I keep my house at 71 degrees..jest perfect!

Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Dragonfly12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
diehardbiker, i grew up with wood stove...I've always like it...The smell...saves $...In my opinion, I like it better than gas kind...I don't have it here now...I sure miss it...
Dragonfly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Premium Member

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I grew up in Michigan where my grandparents had a farm. The farmhouse was built before the Civil War. It had three freestanding pot-bellied stoves. Usually they were fed wood that was cut on the farm.

In the kitchen was a wood/coal stove. They had a seasonal load of coal delivered into the basement via a chute. The coal worked better for cooking. All the pots were cast iron.

Here in South Carolina we have a fireplace with an Appalachian Stove insert from Ashville, North Carolina. Started it tonight for the first time this year. It was 70 an hour ago. It is now 77. When it gets to 80 I have to crack open the door slider to compensate. Coal is rare here so we only use wood.

Carbon Monoxide is produced by both coal and wood. We have a detector in the room.
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Tousi

Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafTim View Post
78-80 degrees? I would melt,seriously.

I have something very similar to wood-burning stove and that is outside wood furnance. I thought seasoned wood means it is ready to burn not cut and sit in woodpile for a yr. SMH... I have plenty of seasoned wood this yr. woot woot.... I keep my house at 71 degrees..jest perfect!
How do you know it is 71 degrees with that whatever it is ur using for heat?
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 156 Times in 74 Posts
It's 78 degrees now with our wood stove.

TCS forgot to mention that all our firewood is free. He does all the hard labor of sawing, splitting, and stacking.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not using a wood stove this year, but they are good. I have a couple third degree burn scars on my left wrist from it, though, a couple of white streaks.
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep love it!!! I put 2 more logs a while ago, and I need to go and take a peek to make sure it is still burning! It is about 7 degrees out right now. BRR! I am not going anywhere at this moment!

Once kids are in bed, I leave all door opens. I cannot trust our 2 years old go in bedrooms/bathroom or else he'll make a huge messes!
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone here use a barometric damper on the flue? It makes a difference, you know.
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Audiofuzzy

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Seems that brutal winter guy finally arrived.

I ended up decide go forward install woodstove last year.
But is it allowed?
the way I understand it, newer houses here in BC Canada are not allowed to have natural wood/coal burning stoves or fireplaces because of the environmental pollution. I am not sure about the rest of Canada, though.

The new houses are equipped with gas or electric only fireplaces.

Only the old houses where there already are, still have those.
I happen to have a wood stove and yes I do love it.

Fuzzy
Audiofuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
DeafTim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
How do you know it is 71 degrees with that whatever it is ur using for heat?
Very simple, thermostat! Outside wood furnance is connected to the furnace in basement. Two water pipes run from outside to inside and we burn wood to keep water hot. Hot water is what keeps the house warm.

Audist people suck! You got a problem wit' dat, go to hell
DeafTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
diehardbiker

Wow alot ADers here love em! Glad I create this thread. My woodstove were orignally made for coal burning with option to burn wood. Never both at same time, as it can damage the chimney.

We are planning to cook some on the stove in near future. Can take live coal out and put in grill and cook em. Just like charcoal grill as they both are same thing.

I don't believe that wood burning is environment harmful as it appears to be. It was made that way as intended. If burn properly, it does not really pollutes as much as coal or oil. Believe it or not, I live in city! I have building permit and it is all passed with flying colors.
I didn't respond earlier since I finally return to work since 3 months. Had medical issues which forces me to leave work for a good while.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Tousi

Quote:
Very simple, thermostat! Outside wood furnance is connected to the furnace in basement. Two water pipes run from outside to inside and we burn wood to keep water hot. Hot water is what keeps the house warm.
That's cool. I've seen those in magazine ads for years.
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Audiofuzzy

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't matter what we believe.
What matters is what the law permit.

If I wanted to build a new house now, I am not allowed to have a wood burning stove or fireplace anymore,
that's why I asked because I was surprised you could.
Maybe in US the laws are different, that's why.

Fuzzy
Audiofuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
diehardbiker

I have seen that before. Outdoor boiler furnace. Usually refill twice each day. Can keep as many as 4 homes warm! It has advantage and disadvantages.

Quote:

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
diehardbiker

I am not sure about it, I do have small issues and not sure if barometric would solve the problem. The problem is backbuffing. I hate backbuffing because it create so much smoke around my house. It does not happen often. maybe once or twice a month. I never had issues with backbuffing with other woodstoves that I dealt with in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Does anyone here use a barometric damper on the flue? It makes a difference, you know.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
diehardbiker

Fireplace does not heat as much as woodstove provides. If correctly designed fireplace then yes can keep house warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
We have a fireplace. It's in the rec room downstairs, so it doesn't really heat the whole house. Does that count?

Can you burn coal indoors in a wood burning stove? I thought you had to have a special stove for coal, because it burns hotter, and releases carbon monoxide. I'm city folk, so I don't really know for sure.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
What does it do?
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
Grayma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
Maybe in US the laws are different, that's why.

Fuzzy
Yes, the laws in the US are different. Some parts of the country maybe you can't use woodstove, I don't know, but most places I know about, it's fine.

When we first built our house we put in radiant floor heat with a corn boiler- the corn boiler burns corn in the garage, and then heats water which runs through the pipes in the floor. It was nice when it worked, but we had trouble with it all the time. My husband felt like he was babysitting it all the time he was home.
Now we have a woodstove. Our wood is free, it grows on our property. We live about 90 miles from Chicago, and have a really huge house, so it's not that warm in here. We wear sweaters, warm socks, and our soon to be 16 year old likes to have a heating pad under her covers. Sometimes we use hot water bottles under the covers, or socks filled with buckwheat and heated in the microwave and then put under the blankets.
Grayma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
I am not sure about it, I do have small issues and not sure if barometric would solve the problem. The problem is backbuffing. I hate backbuffing because it create so much smoke around my house. It does not happen often. maybe once or twice a month. I never had issues with backbuffing with other woodstoves that I dealt with in the past.
What is backbuffing?
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #24
diehardbiker

Its like reverse flow though chimney. we are not exact sure why it is happening with my stove. I never seen like this before. Research and there is not much answer out there. Hope find out what cause it and fix it.

I am aware of carbon monoxide and do have two carbon monoxide detectors and one of them have the digital read out and I monitoring it so far. If anything goes wrong, it will trigger both alarm system causing whole house flashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
What is backbuffing?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #25
Tousi

Quote:
Its like reverse flow though chimney. we are not exact sure why it is happening with my stove. I never seen like this before. Research and there is not much answer out there. Hope find out what cause it and fix it.

Maybe the original flue was not engineered right?????
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
What does it do?
If the suction in your chimney is more than you need, the wood burns faster. The damper rotates open and closes the valve inside it, so the wood burns longer.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:

I am aware of carbon monoxide and do have two carbon monoxide detectors and one of them have the digital read out and I monitoring it so far. If anything goes wrong, it will trigger both alarm system causing whole house flashing.
Does your flue go straight up through the roof?
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
diehardbiker

No, gone though wall to outside and gone straight up.

Its brand new, and its been installed correct and strictly followed manufacturer guidelines.

last week and two weeks ago it works perfectly and had no issue. Until last night when mercury decided to drop too far. Noticed more back puffing. Made sure upstairs windows are closed and crack open downstairs window. Thought negative pressure may be issue, but it seems not helping. I had to "Almost close" the draft entry and it gets better but the stove cools down too fast. I have the flue damper and have always been and always leave it close during normal operation. Now I had to crack it open few degrees and it seems to help a bit.

Quote:
Does your flue go straight up through the roof?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
No, gone though wall to outside and gone straight up.

Its brand new, and its been installed correct and strictly followed manufacturer guidelines.
But that's the problem. I finally solved the backbuffing problem by making the flue go straight up. And yeah, I know the flue is expensive, something like $25 a foot.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
But that's the problem. I finally solved the backbuffing problem by making the flue go straight up. And yeah, I know the flue is expensive, something like $25 a foot.
Or you may be starting the fire too quickly. If you have a cold wood stove and get it hot too quickly, it creates a vacuum inside. Slowly build the fire up. Heating a wood stove too quickly can warp it.