Verizon Will Charge $2 To Pay Bill Online Or By Phone : The Two-Way : NPR
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Banjo
Expelled

What? That doesn't make any sense. I always pay bills through my bank account via a bank machine or the internet. No fees.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
TWA
Premium Member

Communications companies are finding any way they can to tax the consumer. I use ATT pay-as-you-go. For every 25$ purchase I make, I get hit with 3$ in fees, which aren't explained or itemized. Outrageous.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Banjo
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWriteAlex View Post
Communications companies are finding any way they can to tax the consumer. I use ATT pay-as-you-go. For every 25$ purchase I make, I get hit with 3$ in fees, which aren't explained or itemized. Outrageous.
I'll say. They're always looking for ways to bilk you as much as possible. This is why I said that the corporations are ruining the country.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
TWA
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
I'll say. They're always looking for ways to bilk you as much as possible. This is why I said that the corporations are ruining the country.
Speaking of corporations, I just watched "The Corporation" last night. Frightening stuff.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Banjo
Expelled

Quote:
Speaking of corporations, I just watched "The Corporation" last night. Frightening stuff.
Oh yes, great documentary.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D

Looks like certain methods of payments won't be affected. I've paid mine by bank transfer, and it's listed as one of those 7 methods that aren't incurred. I'm not willing to sign on auto-pay though, it's like asking a fat cat to automatically take control of your payments.

On the basis of a social question, it seems that we (as people of this era) are used to paying things without being charged anything. It seems like it's been hardcoded into us and corporations are looking for ways to reverse that.

Quote:
Are they adjustments or taxes?
I get my monthly ATT bill with them tacked on. They are not over-use charges..
Credits/Adjustments/Other Charges: $6.94
Government Fees & Taxes: $1.78
naisho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Banjo
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho View Post
Looks like certain methods of payments won't be affected. I've paid mine by bank transfer, and it's listed as one of those 7 methods that aren't incurred. I'm not willing to sign on auto-pay though, it's like asking a fat cat to automatically take control of your payments.

On the basis of a social question, it seems that we (as people of this era) are used to paying things without being charged anything. It seems like it's been hardcoded into us and corporations are looking for ways to reverse that.
The only problem is, people won't have to pay the fee if they mail in the cheque instead. Wouldn't it take more time and manpower to process the cheque that is sent in the mail compared to paying online? That's the part that doesn't make any sense.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
TWA
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't know, because like I said, they are not itemized. I suppose there's a way to find out, but I'm too lazy to check. I'd rather just sit here and bitch about it.
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D

Quote:
The only problem is, people won't have to pay the fee if they mail in the cheque instead. Wouldn't it take more time and manpower to process the cheque that is sent in the mail compared to paying online? That's the part that doesn't make any sense.
It'll be an inconvienence to most people, no doubt.

On the flip side, I can see that benefitting a couple others - the US postal service (whom is in really dire need of money right now), and jobs or more work for employees who are in charge of billing at Verizon.

Who is really getting that piled on $2 cut though? At say, 80 million subscribers, that's a lot of money to be paying, assuming a majority of them eat the cost.
naisho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Foxrac
FOX

I think it is stupid move for Verizon. I'm glad that I'm att user.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
whatdidyousay!

I saw this on the news today but I did not get the whole report as I got a phone call. I use Verizon and pay by check . I will have to call tomorrow and found out if I can avoided the fee! What a racket this is! We're getting nickle and dimed to death !
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Jazzberry

Quote:
I agree it doesn't make sense. It's possible that Verizon's intention is to claim that many check payments arrive after the due date and use that as an excuse to charge their $5.00 late fee and get even more money. Unless you pay for a return receipt you can't prove when the vendor receives your check. That service, along with the certified receipt and stamp would cost $5.59 so I think most consumers would probably end up choosing to pay the $2.00 fee instead if those were their only two choices.

Other companies have done this before. I remember years ago many consumers complained that even though they mailed their payments weeks before it was due to their credit card company, their credit card company would claim that they hadn't received the payment until after the due date and would charge late fees and raise the interest rate. I think there may have been some class action lawsuits as a result. I was not affected but reading about that was what made me decide to start paying my bills on line.

Quote:
Looks like certain methods of payments won't be affected. I've paid mine by bank transfer, and it's listed as one of those 7 methods that aren't incurred.
I looked at the options in the OP's link on how to avoid paying a late fee and unless you want to pay your bill with a credit card, I don't see how most people who pay online will be affected. Am I missing something?

I must be, because unless the law changed, companies are not allowed to charge consumers a fee for using their credit cards.

Quote:
I'm not willing to sign on auto-pay though, it's like asking a fat cat to automatically take control of your payments.
Or asking the fox to watch the chicken coop. I totally agree.

Quote:
Why should anyone be charged a fee for making a payment on time?

Quote:
Verizon and Verizon Wireless are out of control. They are suppose to be regulated in what fees they pass on to their consumers, but as far as I can tell, they are not. One of the reasons I switched from Verizon Wireless to Virgin Mobile prepaid was to cut the cost of my fees and surcharges. Dramatic difference.

I still have a landline because I hear much better on it. Years ago I instructed Verizon to terminate my long distance calls -- this saved me a lot of money on fees. When I make a long distance call from my landline, I use a calling card instead. IIRC it costs me about a penny a minute and I pay no fees.

If these "pass-on" fees were really legitimate, wouldn't I have to pay them also to Virgin Mobile and my calling card company?
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Jazzberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I saw this on the news today but I did not get the whole report as I got a phone call. I use Verizon and pay by check . I will have to call tomorrow and found out if I can avoided the fee! What a racket this is! We're getting nickle and dimed to death !
WDYS, according to the article linked in the OP, you won't be charged for paying by check.
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Verizon cancels $2 billing surcharge

Verizon cancels $2 billing surcharge | TiPb
Chevy57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
DeafCaroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy57 View Post
Verizon cancels $2 billing surcharge

Verizon cancels $2 billing surcharge | TiPb
Hahaha! I am not surprised given the backlash in the media today - boy, did Verizon get scolded heavily.

but I have a feeling they are going to increase other fees to get that income they intended with the $2 payment fee.
DeafCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
Reba
Retired Terp

Wow! That was quick.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post
Hahaha! I am not surprised given the backlash in the media today - boy, did Verizon get scolded heavily.

but I have a feeling they are going to increase other fees to get that income they intended with the $2 payment fee.
Like Bank of America s $5 debit card payment cancelation. Ha Ha
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
sequoias
Premium Member

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Ill bet fcc was pissed and scolded on Verizon.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Ill bet fcc was pissed and scolded on Verizon.
Yeah, FCC has investigated it before Verizon might be afraid to get huge fine.
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Jazzberry

Since the only payment affected by the $2.00 fee seem to have been those paid by credit cards -- I'm gonna guess that it was the banking industry that got this nixed behind the scenes.

Much as I would like to believe that huge corporations and government are concerned about what the majority of the average unaffiliated American wants -- I can't.
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
VacationGuy234

The answer is simple, go back to paper billing and let them figure out what is cheaper. I'm guessing, they will offer you free online billing.
VacationGuy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Banjo
Expelled

Common sense prevails.
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #24
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafCaroline View Post

Yeah it will cost more for to ask for assistance in getting a phone #!
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
VacationGuy234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzberry View Post
Since the only payment affected by the $2.00 fee seem to have been those paid by credit cards -- I'm gonna guess that it was the banking industry that got this nixed behind the scenes.

Much as I would like to believe that huge corporations and government are concerned about what the majority of the average unaffiliated American wants -- I can't.

If you think about it, with the cash back bonus, paying with credit card saves you money if your bills are payed every month. Basically, you are passing off the cost to the vendor which, I believe in this case, would be Verison.
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
VacationGuy234

You gotta wear your galoshes with these guys, you don't want to step in the bullshit:

"Verizon said Friday that it was scrapping a controversial $2 fee for one-time bill payments announced just a day earlier. The announcement had immediately sparked an uproar online from customers irate about the prospect of incurring further fees simply by paying existing ones.

"At Verizon, we take great care to listen to our customers. Based on their input, we believe the best path forward is to encourage customers to take advantage of the best and most efficient options, eliminating the need to institute the fee at this time," Verizon CEO Dan Mead said in a statement."

This is too fawking funny....
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #27
Jazzberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacationGuy234 View Post
If you think about it, with the cash back bonus, paying with credit card saves you money if your bills are payed every month. Basically, you are passing off the cost to the vendor which, I believe in this case, would be Verison.
Yep. I'm sure that Verizon executives hate, hate, hate the fact that they can't pass on their credit card processing fees to the customers that make them incur them. Well, not easily anyway.

This was probably an effort to do that and they probably tripped over one of the credit card companies rules in the fine print. Every business that accepts credit cards has to sign a contract with the a credit card processing company to do so and the rules aren't exactly the same for each credit card company.

Some more info:

Charging Customers a Fee to Pay with a Credit Card

Convenience Fee: Charging Convenience Fees for Credit Card Transactions

Per the second link, most of the credit card companies say in their contracts that the vendor or business can't charge the customer more than what the processing fee is -- but at least one of the charges (intercharge rate) isn't calculated until days after the purchase. The percentage depends upon whether the credit card being used is a business or consumer card, or a reward card, and possibly some other factors.

So basically, if the credit card companies want to be hard asses this would be a requirement almost impossible to comply with. Or the business would just have to settle for only being reimbursed for part of the processing charges and not all of them. )

ETA: I think another reason that many customers choose to use credit cards instead of debit cards is because credit cards have more protection. So even if someone isn't getting much of a rebate on their credit card, they may very well opt to use it.

Last edited by Jazzberry; 12-30-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typos
Jazzberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
I don't use Verizon, but if I did... it still wouldn't be a problem for me. I make my payments through my bank.
Unread 01-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Dixie
Farting Snowflakes

I use Verizon and I send a check in the mail. I've been too lazy to set it up to pay my bill online or even from my phone.
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #30
Beach girl

I almost never use checks for anything. Online, baby, online - only way to go. There is immediate verification when the online payment is processed, no worries about checks getting lost in the mail, it's super-fast, and no postage costs!

The only entities/people I pay with checks are church, the teenager who cuts our lawn, and, oddly enough, the dog license fee of $10. Our several thousand dollar property tax can be paid online, but the county wants checks for the $10 dog license. Go figure.
Beach girl is offline   Reply With Quote