AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All about diesel power!

Someday I really want to own a Dodge 2500 with Cummins for business and house improvement.

All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
diehardbiker

Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Originally I would love to have Cummin diesel, I ended up got International Navistar instead. The reason is that my friend once had Dodge RAM, not Diesel had to replace transmission three times. At same time friend of mine handed his powerstroke turbo diesel Superduty truck key. Of course, I drove it and that was it, ended up bought almost same as his, just that I got bigger cab, and 3 years newer.
So far, I had it for more than a year and it gives me no problem, other than dirty in fuel tank. It has nothing to do with Ford quality, but because of the quality it was built they were able to stop dirty fuel from ruining the engine. I was not sure where the dirty and other alcohol like chemical came from.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Great idea, Highlander!

deafsmogtech, well I think train has a huge V10-V12 as a main generator to power the traction motors on each axle and a small diesel generator to power the electronics in the cab and the railcars.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Originally I would love to have Cummin diesel, I ended up got International Navistar instead. The reason is that my friend once had Dodge RAM, not Diesel had to replace transmission three times. At same time friend of mine handed his powerstroke turbo diesel Superduty truck key. Of course, I drove it and that was it, ended up bought almost same as his, just that I got bigger cab, and 3 years newer.
So far, I had it for more than a year and it gives me no problem, other than dirty in fuel tank. It has nothing to do with Ford quality, but because of the quality it was built they were able to stop dirty fuel from ruining the engine. I was not sure where the dirty and other alcohol like chemical came from.
Dirty in the fuel tank is most common problem for diesel and almost 80% of fuel system problem from semi-truck. Keeps check fuel filter more often.

Let me guess, your friend use automatic transmission? I am not surprised about it. I think any transmissions with torque converter (TC) are very stupid design ever I see.

I prefer manual transmission and dual clutch transmission over junk TC.

True man drive diesel with manual transmission like most semi-truck.
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
dereksbicycles

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Dirty in the fuel tank is most common problem for diesel and almost 80% of fuel system problem from semi-truck. Keeps check fuel filter more often.

Let me guess, your friend use automatic transmission? I am not surprised about it. I think any transmissions with torque converter (TC) are very stupid design ever I see.

I've a 1998 Ram--nondiesel V6 engine. I have 115K on it and so far, I did not have to worry about transmission. Yeah, I do have an automatic transmission.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

You mean dirty come from water? I think the trucks have water separator for fuel, I can't recall. Maybe for air brake system. I know the water in diesel fuel can harm fuel injection systems, can replace fuel filters and drain water out of the water separators. Just a tho
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
I've a 1998 Ram--nondiesel V6 engine. I have 115K on it and so far, I did not have to worry about transmission. Yeah, I do have an automatic transmission.
Depend how often towing/push, maintenance, and drive abuse.

Last edited by The Highlander; 12-01-2011 at 06:03 PM.
The Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsmogtech View Post
You mean dirty come from water? I think the trucks have water separator for fuel, I can't recall. Maybe for air brake system. I know the water in diesel fuel can harm fuel injection systems, can replace fuel filters and drain water out of the water separators. Just a tho
Correct. Dirty from water. Most semi-truck have water separator for fuel system, Also there is another water separator for air compressor for honk, air brake,air bag suspension, air brake, etc.
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I bet most of you never heard of E7 before.

E7 got 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds and 30mpg at normal drive which better than most cop vehicles like 8 seconds and 20 mpg.

Yes, E7 use diesel power!

Police Car for Police | Carbon Motors Corporation
Info

Carbon Motors E7: NYPD Cool
performance

Carbon Motors E7 police car Photo Gallery - Autoblog
Pictures

BTW E7 use iPad, it's better than Toughbook for cheap, save space, and less power.
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Did you know that diesel vehicle holds its value better than a gasoline one?

A mechanically injected diesel does not need electricity to keep it going, if your alternator fails, a diesel engine will get you home which gasoline don't.

(edited due typo)

Last edited by The Highlander; 12-02-2011 at 12:05 AM.
The Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
diehardbiker

I love the way you are saying

Yep! I had to change fuel filter often and it got two fuel filter and I am glad my truck has dual fuel filters. Now you understand why I am not blaming on Ford themselves as this got nothing to do with quality of vehicle as it can happen with just any vehicles no matter what.

EDIT: Sorry, yes you are right on your guessing. It is automatic that my friend had to replace three times in just 200K miles, first one around 50K, second one 110K miles third one 160K. Each replacement cost him around $4k. He sold that truck so it is no more headache for him. He now owns Nissan.

Its automatics. I never liked automatics, and believe it or not I still drive automatics. I wish my truck has manual tranny. The only problem is that my truck is in "Luxury" which means it got every options you could image. That is why I felt that I am in heaven in my truck.

Quote:

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Last edited by diehardbiker; 12-02-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
diehardbiker

Yep, that is true. Same if hit by E bomb, Diesel won't die, gasoline will lose spark and sputtering to halt. That is why military tend to use Diesel instead.

Quote:
Did you know that diesel vehicle holds its valve better than a gasoline one?

A mechanically injected diesel does not need electricity to keep it going, if your alternator fails, a diesel engine will get you home which gasoline don't.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
I think the Torqueflite transmission (RWD) is the best cuz I never been overhaul them in my wrench years. I did overhauled A604 FWD trannies 4 times. I noticed a Torqueflite tranny in a 1995ish Dodge Ram 1500 van, looks same tranny dated back to 1970's. Why can't they come to me for overhaul the trannies. Sad
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
I think the Torqueflite transmission (RWD) is the best cuz I never been overhaul them in my wrench years. I did overhauled A604 FWD trannies 4 times. I noticed a Torqueflite tranny in a 1995ish Dodge Ram 1500 van, looks same tranny dated back to 1970's. Why can't they come to me for overhaul the trannies. Sad
How about join to diesel mechanic and you will get overtime most times.

I noticed most auto mechanic don't get overtime so much and sometime send home early if very slow business. So I picked diesel mechanic over auto mechanic.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
dereksbicycles

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Quote:

Of course, I have always wondered why vehicles with diesel goes for sooo much more than non diesels. I've seen it on E Bay all the times.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
diehardbiker

Yup, Diesel were built to last technically forever. That is because Diesel itself is oil based where gasoline is vapor based. This gives cylinders good lubricants while gasoline based don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Of course, I have always wondered why vehicles with diesel goes for sooo much more than non diesels. I've seen it on E Bay all the times.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
diehardbiker

This is good advise. The other day I had to drop off my truck to Ford Dealer. Believe it or not, in my hometown, there are only 2 Certified diesel mechanic for all local Ford dealers. Have to book ahead of time and that sucks. I still demand Certified Diesel mechanic cause it is different system than Gasoline and I don't want any rookies to molest my engine!
I had to pay premium for this, oh well.

Quote:

I noticed most auto mechanic don't get overtime so much and sometime send home early if very slow business. So I picked diesel mechanic over auto mechanic.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

Both gas and diesel mechanics work overtimes. In 15 years ago, I worked overtimes at a gas station to finishing the vehicles. One time I worked from 7am to 10pm, made lot money about $1,300 in commission just one day. My salary (15 years ago)was almost $70K a year very hard work. Today the professional mechanics such as MBZ technicians, can earn over $100K a year even not spend overtime works.
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, Diesel mechanic is not my type but spend 2 years in truck shop, never fell like I am a diesel mechanic. If I want back to be a diesel mechanic right now but too late for my age.
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

If they allowed that diesel powered police cars in the US, why didn't they allow a diesel Subaru? Maybe its govt exempt?
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #21
diehardbiker

Its EPA faggots that oppressed these vehicles, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post

If they allowed that diesel powered police cars in the US, why didn't they allow a diesel Subaru? Maybe its govt exempt?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker
Its EPA faggots that oppressed these vehicles, my friend.

Quote:

Yea, the specs sounds impressive for a 4000 lb diesel sedan.
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Hey, Diesel mechanic is not my type but spend 2 years in truck shop, never fell like I am a diesel mechanic. If I want back to be a diesel mechanic right now but too late for my age.
It was just suggests since you always complained about modern car or electric cars all times and you prefer old school like OHV engine. Most diesel engines still use OHV engine. The age is just a number. It's never too late.
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #24
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:

Blame to CARB (California Air Resources Board)
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #25
The Highlander

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Both gas and diesel mechanics work overtimes. In 15 years ago, I worked overtimes at a gas station to finishing the vehicles. One time I worked from 7am to 10pm, made lot money about $1,300 in commission just one day. My salary (15 years ago)was almost $70K a year very hard work. Today the professional mechanics such as MBZ technicians, can earn over $100K a year even not spend overtime works.
Nice, I noticed most diesel mechanics got nice HD motorcycle, nice truck, and nice tools than auto mechanics. I am sure you made good salary since you work so hard for 15 years.
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias

Blame to CARB (California Air Resources Board)
Of course but it isn't fair that police may get those that should be illegal under carb.

Last edited by sequoias; 12-01-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #27
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

Same here, If both Subby and VW TDI emits almost same amount of emission, CARB denies Subby to import to USA, I don't understand.
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #28
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Nice, I noticed most diesel mechanics got nice HD motorcycle, nice truck, and nice tools than auto mechanics. I am sure you made good salary since you work so hard for 15 years.
Yes, they make good money. Most diesel mechanics earn salary by hourly pay. Most commission paid is gasoline mechanics same as dealerships and independent repair shops.
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
I bet most of you never heard of E7 before.

E7 got 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds and 30mpg at normal drive which better than most cop vehicles like 8 seconds and 20 mpg.

Yes, E7 use diesel power!

Police Car for Police | Carbon Motors Corporation
Info

Carbon Motors E7: NYPD Cool
performance

Carbon Motors E7 police car Photo Gallery - Autoblog
Pictures

BTW E7 use iPad, it's better than Toughbook for cheap, save space, and less power.
Twin T/C BMW 6 in-line engine? wtf, Sounds same motor what I did smogged a 2009 BMW X5 diesel last summer.
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #30
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

I seem not understand what you say "that diesel vehicle holds its valve better than a gasoline one" Is it high resale value or the valves in the cylinder head? I guess you are talking about more breather into the valves. Am I wrong?