AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > On-topic Debates
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
posts from hell

Spanish government in America

With the current cultural trend going (whites having 2 kids per family, the Latinos having much more, 5-10 kids per family) it can be said that the government will be composed mostly of Latinos in the future.

When that happens and the congressional debates turn slowly into mostly discussions in Spanish. You are viewing this on CSPAN.You have no idea what they're saying.

They also go ahead and translate the Constitution into Spanish and have it in front of the English version.

Cool with this, you guys?
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Sunshine
Banned

Canadians will tell you bilingual government not only possible, works well too.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
posts from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_signs View Post
Canadians will tell you bilingual government not only possible, works well too.
Does it translate well into helping citizens who knows sign languages and have the need to use sign language?
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
With the current cultural trend going (whites having 2 kids per family, the Latinos having much more, 5-10 kids per family) it can be said that the government will be composed mostly of Latinos in the future.

When that happens and the congressional debates turn slowly into mostly discussions in Spanish. You are viewing this on CSPAN.You have no idea what they're saying.

They also go ahead and translate the Constitution into Spanish and have it in front of the English version.

Cool with this, you guys?
I'm OK with providing Spanish translations to English programming and documents (not necessarily at taxpayer expense, though).

As long as English is the primary language for all official proceedings and documents.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
posts from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
I'm OK with providing Spanish translations to English programming and documents (not necessarily at taxpayer expense, though).

As long as English is the primary language for all official proceedings and documents.
The problem is... As a melting pot, the government has refused to recognize even English as an official language. So, this makes it available to have all government documents and such be in Spanish only. If you want it to be in English, it would have to be at tax payers expense too. We have been doing that for Spanish translations the past few years.

If funding is not at the tax payers expense, (remember this will most likely happen when the Spanish language is the domain) where is it going to come from? A preserving English non-profit organization that the people who speak/write in English primarily pays into?
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
The problem is... As a melting pot, the government has refused to recognize even English as an official language.
As a true "melting pot," the concept is that those people who move to the USA, learn English to the best of their abilities. One country made up of immigrants from dozens of countries can't be unified unless the people share a language and culture. A common language breaks down barriers. English is the primary existing language, and those who move here have to accept that, just as an American moving to another country would have to accept that country's language, if the American wanted full inclusion into that country.

That doesn't mean other languages are excluded from use at home, at social gatherings, in church, etc. It means it's the primary language for government, commerce, and education.

Perhaps we should make English the legal spoken and written language for the USA, and ASL the legal signed language for the USA.
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Beowulf
Premium Member

Quote:

The USA has no official language and the language spoken is by consensus. It used to be that French was the language spoken in official proceedings, but times have changed. But don't worry, not even Mandarin will be the official language in the good old USA.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Sunshine
Banned

Quote:
Does it translate well into helping citizens who knows sign languages and have the need to use sign language?
No, help English and French hearies.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Beowulf
Premium Member

Quote:
No, help English and French hearies.
To me, that means the English and French hearies will never see the deaf as equal to them, and therefore will never give them what they are worth in their dealings.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Sunshine
Banned

Not think deaf will ever have majority enough any country have ASL official language. Many Chinese in Canada, mandarin not official. Official language reflect majority.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
posts from hell

Quote:
As a true "melting pot," the concept is that those people who move to the USA, learn English to the best of their abilities. One country made up of immigrants from dozens of countries can't be unified unless the people share a language and culture. A common language breaks down barriers. English is the primary existing language, and those who move here have to accept that, just as an American moving to another country would have to accept that country's language, if the American wanted full inclusion into that country.

That doesn't mean other languages are excluded from use at home, at social gatherings, in church, etc. It means it's the primary language for government, commerce, and education.

Perhaps we should make English the legal spoken and written language for the USA, and ASL the legal signed language for the USA.
Why do they HAVE to accept and use English? We have no legal or official language here in America.

The reality is, if the Spanish language is growing in exponential amounts while English stands stagnant Spanish will BE the majority, and people who stick around here only knowing English will have to accept that.
That means.... Standard testing for children = Spanish then English.

That is the "true" melting pot. Where we know more than 2 languages and accept others for who they are. Instead of all this mind set where we make OTHERS do the things OUR way. It has to be a two way street.

An analogy if I am allowed? Hearing parents making their deaf kids learn how to speak against their will, implant 'em early, etc.. Making the deaf children abide by their parent's desires.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
posts from hell

Quote:
Not think deaf will ever have majority enough any country have ASL official language. Many Chinese in Canada, mandarin not official. Official language reflect majority.
ASL is also an official language of Kenya and many other countries.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Sunshine
Banned

Really!!!!!???!?!?
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
FireTiger

Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
'...white families having 2...' - so those English speaking (other race here) don't count?!?!

Anyway- Many other countries don't -really- conciser someone educated unless they have several languages and at least two fluent ...

(in the past Germany and Italy were good examples, when my husband lived there)

So, we all get to learn another language- I live in FL... It's been true here in bits and peaces for awhile...
FireTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Banjo
Expelled

Quote:

What if Spanish becomes the most used language in the country within the next 50 years?
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
FireTiger

Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
What if Spanish becomes the most used language in the country within the next 50 years?
Then the English-only crowd grouses and whines and complains and fails to comply until Spanish->English translation is made...

Seems to be working the other way now, should work again later...
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
Banjo
Expelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
Then the English-only crowd grouses and whines and complains and fails to comply until Spanish->English translation is made...

Seems to be working the other way now, should work again later...
Exactly.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Then I better learn it. Dont mind because the more languages one is fluent in, the better.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
posts from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Then I better learn it. Dont mind because the more languages one is fluent in, the better.
Did you just see what you did?
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Did you just see what you did?
Nope...

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #21
posts from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Nope...
You said you would learn the language to accompany these who speaks a different language! Think of the concepts behind this - amazing.
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #22
authentic

That's why I have a second home; Moscow, Russia.
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #23
LDNanna
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
I have a friend from India who grew up speaking 5 languages. She came to Mexico for school and learned Spanish, then to the US and honed the English she already spoke. She was learning German because she liked the German students. She is now a doctor of biology. Amazing. She learned Latin for her degree in biology. She grew up with 5 languages to speak to everyone in her community. Wow. Soo,
1. Hindi
2. English
3. Marathi
4. Bengali
5. French
6. Spanish
7. Latin
8. German

She claims to know a "smatter" of local dialects such as Tamil.

She said it was easy to learn in her home. Her sister is equally impressive. She said she had to learn this to shop, speak with the maids, for school, and for friends. She said that there are over a thousand languages or dialects in India. (really??)

I did find that it was not unusual for any of our foreign students to speak 3 or more languages, some local dialects of their home region and others such as English and Portugese.
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #24
FireTiger

A student from Russia was amazed that:
... "in America (USA) you all speak alike- you all understand one another, even many miles away"...

I didn't understand that dialects can case two groups of people less than 2-3 miles apart to not understand one another without training in the other language.

The Future of the USA is a new living language, it will be English-Spanish-computer speak, and I fear the first phase of this transition.
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
I don't believe it will.

That would require an increase in immigration from Spanish speaking countries. It would also require more current English-speaking citizens to learn Spanish, which I don't see happening in large numbers. It's also presuming that the American-born children of Spanish-speaking immigrants wouldn't learn English as a primary language.

Yes, the Spanish-speaking immigrant families in the US have more children. Those children are bi-lingual. Their children sometimes are more fluent in English than Spanish.

That's happened in the past with other immigrant populations. How many grandchildren of immigrants fluently speak their grandparents' native tongue?
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #26
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
...The Future of the USA is a new living language, it will be English-Spanish-computer speak, and I fear the first phase of this transition.
Nah. It will all be texting speech. LOL
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #27
FireTiger

Quote:
Nah. It will all be texting speech. LOL
The horror!!!!