LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
whatdidyousay!

Liked 293 Times in 227 Posts
Why Dogs Tails are Docked!

Docking (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have often wonder why some dogs have their tail cut off! I think it cruel and I am happy Marty has his whole cute tail to wag!!

whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
Docking (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have often wonder why some dogs have their tail cut off! I think it cruel and I am happy Marty has his whole cute tail to wag!!
I think people mainly do it for looks.

Show dogs tend to have their ears or tails cropped.. depending on the breed of dog.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will make you (and me) happy: Banfield Will No Longer Perform Tail Docking and Ear Cropping Proced | Richmond Animal Rights

Also the state of Illinois outlaw both: Yahoo! Groups

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I think people mainly do it for looks.

Show dogs tend to have their ears or tails cropped.. depending on the breed of dog.
Now it done for looks at first it done a numbers of reason . One was to avoid paying taxes on a working dog. If your dog tail was docked you did not have to pay taxes! Did you read how it done? There are two ways . I think it is cruel and unnecessary!
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
This will make you (and me) happy: Banfield Will No Longer Perform Tail Docking and Ear Cropping Proced | Richmond Animal Rights

Also the state of Illinois outlaw both: Yahoo! Groups
Same here! It should be banned in all states. I know it is against the law to have a dog barker removed in my state ,Massachusetts. I am pretty sure the law was passed.
Unread 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been told that poodles were originally swimming dogs and that their tails were cut to better serve as rudders.
Unread 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I agree it's cruel to do that. I think people are best to leave them alone as natural.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Now it done for looks at first it done a numbers of reason . One was to avoid paying taxes on a working dog. If your dog tail was docked you did not have to pay taxes! Did you read how it done? There are two ways . I think it is cruel and unnecessary!

They're several reasons why people had their dogs tails docked or ears cropped. Most modern reason is for cosmetics.

And yes, I did read the link.

Some people think piercing ears or circumcision is cruel and unusal also. Just saying...
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I've been told that poodles were originally swimming dogs and that their tails were cut to better serve as rudders.
No poodles tails where cut to show that they where a working dog and the owners did not have to pay taxes on working dogs. The poodle cuts you see on show dogs was done to keep them from getting tangled up in berries patch and to keep their joints warm when jumping into water. When I had Finlay I was play ball with in the woods and he ran after the ball that when into a
berries patch and poor Finlay got tangled up ! The more he tried to pull out of the berries patch the tighter it wrapped around him! I had to pull all the vines of Finlay and carry him out!
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
FireTiger

Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are breeds when tails are left whole the tail tends to break and need surgery- some of the real working dogs (drug, arson, search and rescue. cadaver, mobility, service... - have it done to keep them safer.)

Consider a wheelchair dog with a long tail... Or a rescue dog in and out of unsteady rubble piles - Ouch!

Last edited by FireTiger; 10-10-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: dropped a word, sounded stupid/arrogant
FireTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTiger View Post
There are breeds when tails are left whole the tail tends to break and need surgery- some of the real working dogs (drug, arson, search and rescue. cadaver, mobility, service... - have it done to keep them safer.)

Consider a wheelchair dog with a long tail... Or a rescue dog in and out of unsteady rubble piles - Ouch!
How about a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs?
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
JAMES09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to JAMES09
I can understand why some people would want to dock their dog's tails...I do not agree with it & I would never have it done, but I understand where they are coming from.

O Allah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.
[Al-Bukhari]
JAMES09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Emmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind docked tails (as most have a purpose) but I am not a fan of cropped ears.

A huge majority of mobility assistance dogs who work with people in wheelchairs are Labs or Golden Retriever or a cross between the two - so they all have long tails. Dogs know where their tails are and know enough not to stick it in the wheelchair. Granted, it may get rolled over rarely, but that's no different than me not looking where I'm walking and stepping on my dog's tail.

Poodles are shaved because if they were left unshaved, they couldn't swim (too heavy because they get "water logged") so the cuts were designed to keep them warm, but not weigh them down too much.

Some dog breeds (or strains within dog breeds) are born without a tail - Australian Shepherd, Welsh Corgi, Boxer, etc.
Emmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmer View Post
I don't mind docked tails (as most have a purpose) but I am not a fan of cropped ears.

A huge majority of mobility assistance dogs who work with people in wheelchairs are Labs or Golden Retriever or a cross between the two - so they all have long tails. Dogs know where their tails are and know enough not to stick it in the wheelchair. Granted, it may get rolled over rarely, but that's no different than me not looking where I'm walking and stepping on my dog's tail.

Poodles are shaved because if they were left unshaved, they couldn't swim (too heavy because they get "water logged") so the cuts were designed to keep them warm, but not weigh them down too much.

Some dog breeds (or strains within dog breeds) are born without a tail - Australian Shepherd, Welsh Corgi, Boxer, etc.
The poodles where also shaved so they would not get stuck in the berries. vines . Marty has his whole tail and I think it is cute !
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
KStiletto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
They're several reasons why people had their dogs tails docked or ears cropped. Most modern reason is for cosmetics.

And yes, I did read the link.

Some people think piercing ears or circumcision is cruel and unusal also. Just saying
Well most of us have a choice in the say in terms of the ears. I think circumcision is cruel as well. To me if a person is old enough to want a lil snip here and there then it's okay. For example if I had a little girl, I wouldn't pierce her ears as a baby. I'd wait until shes old enough to decide if it's for her.
KStiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #16
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStiletto View Post
Well most of us have a choice in the say in terms of the ears. I think circumcision is cruel as well. To me if a person is old enough to want a lil snip here and there then it's okay. For example if I had a little girl, I wouldn't pierce her ears as a baby. I'd wait until shes old enough to decide if it's for her.

Several people complain about puppies tails or ears being cropped and they are the same people that had their babies circumcized and ears pierced.

That is why I made that statement.

Being realistic, only a few will wait and give their children a choice.

Which is what I find Ironic.
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
KStiletto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Several people complain about puppies tails or ears being cropped and they are the same people that had their babies circumcized and ears pierced.

That is why I made that statement.

Being realistic, only a few will wait and give their children a choice.

Which is what I find Ironic.
I totally agree. Most people usually only know about one or the other. Most people just do something because its so popular without finding out why. Like sheep, just doing things blindly.

Speaking for myself I was against dog cropping and tail docking first because I loved animals and informed myself out of curiousity. I also like piercings, so after getting pierced and learning about infections of the ear that can occur from the gun they use to pierce ears I became more intrigued about piercing period. Then later in life, I became a parent, and found myself in a birth club, where we talk about different topics especially circumcision which seems to be a hot topic on baby forums. Pretty interesting. I soon felt, if you came into the world with longer ears, long tail, a skin covering for your penis, who am I to just say "cut it!" because of either esthetics, or any other reason..
KStiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
FireTiger

Location: Arl, Jax, NE-FL, SE-USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe A, Mutiverse 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmer View Post

True, but Vesula working dogs get docked tails, if they are going for mobility/rescue, or the parents have a history of 'brittle tail' otherwise they can keep those whips... They keep natural ears.
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
LDNanna
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
After actually seeing a country family father pick up a litter of puppies and cut off their tails with an old polling knife I will never, ever have a dog's tail cut. Nope. No way.
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
Audiofuzzy

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
A hallmark of the breed, some Aussies are born with naturally bobbed tails (NBT).

I used to have two Aussies, sadly one have died of pancreatic cancer
one and half year ago.
She had her tail docked, the other -a male- does not, has a full length, long thick fur tail.

But let me tell you, aside from Aussies looking great tailless,
having a dog without a tail is SO convenient.

No more tipped over spilled glasses, stuff thrown off the tables, low shelves etc., no more being painfully hit in the eye by a wagging tail!

I am torn between docking and not docking.

On one hand yeah, done wrong it hurts and may get infected, which brings on more pain later on.
But then, if done correctly it's hardly noticed by a dog - it's like being vaccinated or having ears pierced for a child, really.

Children in general are amazing healers, they heal faster and without so much pain as adults, and so does puppies.

Certainly I don't care for ear cropping. let them be...

Fuzzy
Audiofuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
A hallmark of the breed, some Aussies are born with naturally bobbed tails (NBT).

I used to have two Aussies, sadly one have died of pancreatic cancer
one and half year ago.
She had her tail docked, the other -a male- does not, has a full length, long thick fur tail.

But let me tell you, aside from Aussies looking great tailless,
having a dog without a tail is SO convenient.

No more tipped over spilled glasses, stuff thrown off the tables, low shelves etc., no more being painfully hit in the eye by a wagging tail!

I am torn between docking and not docking.

On one hand yeah, done wrong it hurts and may get infected, which brings on more pain later on.
But then, if done correctly it's hardly noticed by a dog - it's like being vaccinated or having ears pierced for a child, really.

Children in general are amazing healers, they heal faster and without so much pain as adults, and so does puppies.

Certainly I don't care for ear cropping. let them be...

Fuzzy
I miss hearing my daughter's dog banging her tail on the stove when I pat her!! Alley has gone to be with Finlay and I sure would love to hear tail wagging again!
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Audiofuzzy

I suppose it depends on the person, whom likes what...

Fuzzy
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
DeafRaptor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I tease my service dog, Leah, about "be(ing) careful" with her tail as she is going to hurt it someday since it rarely stops wagging and is always hitting some hard wall or surface. At one time, sure enough, she actually did hurt her tail and it was a trip to the vet to treat her (poor silly girl, but all better now).

This happened TODAY (Oh, I am SO mad!)! I was out shopping at Kmart in Fairfax, VA with my service dog. I was waiting at the end of the line to pay for my items and the line was long enough to continue past the register and a little into the aisle. I had instructed Leah to lay down and she was clearly visable right next to me and out of the way (not blocking the rest of the aisle). I didn't see her as she was out of my visual range at the time, but a woman with a shopping cart was trying to get past me (coming from my left and going to my right), but rather than give me and my service dog room and go around a couple feet to her right (a couple feet behind me), she almost runs over my service dog's tail (not just the tip, but close to the base) and injures her and nearly runs into me as well (if Leah hadn't been there, she would have). Luckily, Leah was quick and got up, but I was startled that Leah disobeyed the command (I am happy that Leah disobeyed the "stay" command to protect herself), so I looked and saw the woman and could see what almost happened. I had a look of clear shock and awe on my face, but the woman only paused to look at what she almost did and see that she was able to get Leah up, doesn't excuse herself or apologize to me, and she continues on since Leah was up. She clearly had no respect for me or my service dog. Now, I still don't think that I ever would dock her tail, but its situations like that where it would have been "handy".
DeafRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
whatdidyousay!

I had to stop people from walking on my hearing dog Finlay when he was laying down. People said they thought he was a toy! WTF!!! Who take a 50 lbs toy dog to store! Some people are just plan rude and disrespectful !
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
Audiofuzzy

Quote:
Now, I still don't think that I ever would dock her tail, but its situations like that where it would have been "handy"
That's what I am saying. I don't know if I would have the guts to say out loud
"CUT!", but -as you see- in some instances it does come handy, doesn't it...

So I admit-I dunno,
maybe I wouldn't protest if I knew the facility that was doing the tail docking was doing it properly, humanely and took
all the steps necessary to avoid injury and infection and did it as painlessly as it is possible
but being handed the puppy and asked do you want its tail docked?
I would be like

On the other hand yeah it is nice seeying and hearing the tail doing the happy tap dance.

Fuzzy
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy View Post
That's what I am saying. I don't know if I would have the guts to say out loud
"CUT!", but -as you see- in some instances it does come handy, doesn't it...

So I admit-I dunno,
maybe I wouldn't protest if I knew the facility that was doing the tail docking was doing it properly, humanely and took
all the steps necessary to avoid injury and infection and did it as painlessly as it is possible
but being handed the puppy and asked do you want its tail docked?
I would be like

On the other hand yeah it is nice seeying and hearing the tail doing the happy tap dance.

Fuzzy
I was asking some veterinarians what breed they thought Marty was beside being part poodle. I said he has a long tail and I do not what small breed has a tail like that. One of the vet said I could have his tail cut off! HUH! I told her I like his long tail it is cute!! How horrible that would be to cut of Marty's tail when he had all this time!! He loves to wag his tail and his hold it up high when he feeling real proud !
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
Eighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Yeah that why my dog tail is docked, and dew claws was removed. My dog is very active, she loves to hunt and explore the woods. For active dog, I totally support this because ripping dewclaw and snapping tail would be way more painful.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #28
whatdidyousay!

Quote:

I seen search and rescue dogs on TV after 911 and they had long tails.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
FireTiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I seen search and rescue dogs on TV after 911 and they had long tails.
Retrievers and some Labradors are left with tails (most common for S&R), not all the dogs are Lab/Retrievers.

Also dogs not usually in the field were being used in those next days, arson dogs, bomb dogs, and cadaver dogs. I saw mixes being used.

The lab I was socializing was minus dewclaws but had his tail and ... everything else...
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #30
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Retrievers and some Labradors are left with tails (most common for S&R), not all the dogs are Lab/Retrievers.

Also dogs not usually in the field were being used in those next days, arson dogs, bomb dogs, and cadaver dogs. I saw mixes being used.

The lab I was socializing was minus dewclaws but had his tail and ... everything else...
I when to a shelter with a boyfriend as we wanted a cat . We saw one that we liked but there was a sign on it cage that said it was dewclaw and neutered and to be care as it bite! The poor cat no wonder it bit , it had is claws and balls removed!