Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can the ignition interlock device cause car problems?

A friend had an ignition interlock device installed in his car a couple weeks ago because of his DUI conviction, and he swears that it is causing problems with it. He said that twice the car died while he was driving, and both times he had it towed to a shop. The first time was a burnt out CAM sensor and the second time was the EGR, I think. Including the tow charges, he said it set him back at least a thousand dollars. He furthermore claims that he asked the mechanics if the device could be the cause of the problems and they shrugged and said they didn't know.
This is driving me nuts. Can anyone in here give me the definitive answer: does the ignition interlock device cause problems with the car?

Unread 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, but I know the problem could had been easily prevented by not drinking and driving in the first place.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
I don't know, but I know the problem could had been easily prevented by not drinking and driving in the first place.
I felt like saying that to him, but the survival instinct prevented me.
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
diehardbiker

Liked 66 Times in 55 Posts
There are two stories in each side. We really don't know. Since that driver is alcoholic, do you expect that alcoholics remembers their episodes? Perhaps he screwing the system when attempt drive it drunk once again and not remember a thing.
What goes around comes around, (shrugs)

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
purplecatty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he had mint mothwash this morning that might have causing problem with interlocking system

Catty
purplecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does the vehicle have previous driveability problem before the ignition interlock device (DUI Breathalyzer device) installed? If no, how do you know it is bad cam sensor or EGR? By MIL? or Mechanic told you???
The interlock device (for DUI drivers) installed inside the vehicle not in the engine compartment because the interlock device is sharing with PCM (Powertrain Computer Module) or theft deterrent where the vehicle is equipped with...But I don't know if they cause the cam sensor or EGR system problem unless no driveability problem prior to the ignition interlock device installed.
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Long time ago, I worked at Chevron gas station, received a car with a no start, found out this car has an interlock device after attempting to cranking the engine (no crank). Somehow, I bypass the starter, still cranking, no start then went to check out the underdash and saw a device hooked up inside the dash but a service writer came to alert me, don't touch it, said I got a call from a customer. She forget to states that her car has the device inside the console. But the service writer called a hearie mechanic to take a care of it cuz the device requires voice and breath test. I learned something to me. Wow but Ive seen the interlock devices in the vehicles like 5 cars that towed in with no start problems. Some of them were towed to another place where they installed the devices. Aloha, dst
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsmogtech View Post
Long time ago, I worked at Chevron gas station, received a car with a no start, found out this car has an interlock device after attempting to cranking the engine (no crank). Somehow, I bypass the starter, still cranking, no start then went to check out the underdash and saw a device hooked up inside the dash but a service writer came to alert me, don't touch it, said I got a call from a customer. She forget to states that her car has the device inside the console. But the service writer called a hearie mechanic to take a care of it cuz the device requires voice and breath test. I learned something to me. Wow but Ive seen the interlock devices in the vehicles like 5 cars that towed in with no start problems. Some of them were towed to another place where they installed the devices. Aloha, dst
Bad luck mechanics have to use their mouth to bite and blow on the germ interlock device.
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Bad luck mechanics have to use their mouth to bite and blow on the germ interlock device.
Lol, same here, one mechanic asked me to blow the breather test device. I don't understand it but I realized he has bad breather (heavy beer drinker), he fed up with a ****ed breather test. I passed it for him but real gross with a dirty mouth tube. I washed my lip, and spitted out. I feel sad for the DUI drivers. Not funny. Aloha dst
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 509 Times in 291 Posts
I don't feel sad for DUI drivers. They shouldn't even be allowed to drive.

I feel sorry for their victims.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
I don't feel sad for DUI drivers. They shouldn't even be allowed to drive.

I feel sorry for their victims.
You are right. No sorry for DUI drivers. Aloha, dst.
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Lol, same here, one mechanic asked me to blow the breather test device. I don't understand it but I realized he has bad breather (heavy beer drinker), he fed up with a ****ed breather test. I passed it for him but real gross with a dirty mouth tube. I washed my lip, and spitted out. I feel sad for the DUI drivers. Not funny. Aloha dst
You broke the law! You should not be allowed to drive!
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Secretblend

Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
He's a mechanic. He was helping other mechanic so that they could start the car and fix whatever problem the car has.

You should blame the owner of the car for breaking the law.
Secretblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretblend View Post
He's a mechanic. He was helping other mechanic so that they could start the car and fix whatever problem the car has.

You should blame the owner of the car for breaking the law.
Oh, mechanics are above the law. Excuuuuuse me.
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Secretblend

Quote:
Oh, mechanics are above the law. Excuuuuuse me.
Whoosshhh!!
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretblend View Post
Whoosshhh!!
Nawww, I get it.
Just pulling legs here.
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Does the vehicle have previous driveability problem before the ignition interlock device (DUI Breathalyzer device) installed? If no, how do you know it is bad cam sensor or EGR? By MIL? or Mechanic told you???
The interlock device (for DUI drivers) installed inside the vehicle not in the engine compartment because the interlock device is sharing with PCM (Powertrain Computer Module) or theft deterrent where the vehicle is equipped with...But I don't know if they cause the cam sensor or EGR system problem unless no driveability problem prior to the ignition interlock device installed.
As far as I know, his car was running like a clock previous to the incident. It is kind of funny what goes around comes around, eh?
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #18
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Lol, we are mechanics like Secretblend mentioned
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Secretblend

Quote:
Nawww, I get it.
Just pulling legs here.
yea riiiiiigggghhhhhttttt!
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just wonder if the modern interlocking device have built-in voice to have a DUI driver to talk to this device then take a breather test to activate the vehicle to start? Or the device will not recognize erratic voice? How about deaf DUI driver to take voice/ breather test? Just a thought
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
diehardbiker

The real solution to this problem is very simple and yes it is straightforwarding.

The answer is, don't drink and drive.

This guy shouldn't complain at all, why? that is because judge had gave this person opportunity to prove that he learn lesson, instead of revoking drivers license. Simple put, the only solution to this problem is not to drink and drive. If he continues to complain, then the lesson were never learn anyway.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
I just wonder if the modern interlocking device have built-in voice to have a DUI driver to talk to this device then take a breather test to activate the vehicle to start? Or the device will not recognize erratic voice? How about deaf DUI driver to take voice/ breather test? Just a thought
This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on top of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat.
I have no idea if he does use a sober passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Unread 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #23
diehardbiker

Sure, but if passenger did this, then he can be charged as accessory to crime and anyone being an accessory gets worst punishment. Worth it? You can figure out.

Quote:
This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on to of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat.
I have no idea if he does use a passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #24
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Sure, but if passenger did this, then he can be charged as accessory to crime and anyone being an accessory gets worst punishment. Worth it? You can figure out.
Yeah, I know. I wouldn't dream of it.
Unread 10-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
Secretblend

Quote:
Only if they are caught!
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
This friend is deaf. I saw him use the equipment: it is a handheld black receiver-type with a glass panel which reads, "Device loading, please wait..." Then "Now blow." He blows a long breath (dang, longggg breath) and then sucks inward sharply when the receiver clicks. It then reads out "Analyzing..." And then "Test passed." He says has has to repeat the test about 20 minutes each time he drives, and he looks for red led lights to blink atop a small black box mounted on top of the dashboard. He says anyone who is a passenger with him could blow into the device while he is driving, so the system is easy to beat.
I have no idea if he does use a sober passenger, though, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Oh thank you for explaining better. Same as I did it, real pain in the ass. I blowed it first try and failed then my tech explained to me to inhale more deep then blow the mouthpiece. I tried it again, still failed again. Real hate it.
I remmby I saw the vehicle was towed again and send out to the place where they installed the devices. I asked a mechanic who diagnosed this vehicle, Why tow again?, told
me that he think the device is inoperative, he doesn't want to spend his time to diagnose no start condition after he verified a DUI driver to ask him if this car have driveability / no start problem, he said no.
I haven't see the vehicle w/ interlock device in 6 or 7 years. I won't touch a ****ed interlock device again. Aloha dst
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #27
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
I dunno if sober passenger would let him drive drunk
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Quote:
There are two stories in each side. We really don't know. Since that driver is alcoholic, do you expect that alcoholics remembers their episodes? Perhaps he screwing the system when attempt drive it drunk once again and not remember a thing.
What goes around comes around, (shrugs)
I was thinking the same thing.

I knew a guy who had something like that installed in his car. Whenever he went out drinking with his girlfriend, he would make sure she didn't drink so that she would be the one to start the car for him.
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #29
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

I knew a guy who had something like that installed in his car. Whenever he went out drinking with his girlfriend, he would make sure she didn't drink so that she would be the one to start the car for him.
That's how you keeps roll to everyone all times?
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #30
dauntless1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
A friend had an ignition interlock device installed in his car a couple weeks ago because of his DUI conviction, and he swears that it is causing problems with it. He said that twice the car died while he was driving, and both times he had it towed to a shop. The first time was a burnt out CAM sensor and the second time was the EGR, I think. Including the tow charges, he said it set him back at least a thousand dollars. He furthermore claims that he asked the mechanics if the device could be the cause of the problems and they shrugged and said they didn't know.
This is driving me nuts. Can anyone in here give me the definitive answer: does the ignition interlock device cause problems with the car?
...oh yes...since I had My device installed, I have had nothing but trouble with My '93 Ford Explorer...I am an experienced aviation, industrial, and automotive mechanic...the problems I saw ranged from warm up, through drivability, mostly fuel delivery and engine management problems...one day, I had finally had enough and started removing the thing...I was aghast when I went under the hood and dash and saw all the wires they had carelessly cut and taped back to make it "look good"...at least they used e tape to hide their dirty deeds...I yanked the thing out and flung the whole stupid mess on My porch, where it remains...My truck now runs flawlessly...these guys have gotten into their market the same way gun control laws have gotten out of hand...I don't know what the DMV will do to Me when they find out, but You can bet "BIG BROTHER" will get the best of Me...I make it a point to drive completely sober, just in case I do get pulled over...so they won't have any ammunition...would love to hear anyone else's woes with similar devices...thread here, or kennethjhoffmanjr@yahoo, or gmail.com
dauntless1 is offline   Reply With Quote