AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
jamesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living on my own for the first time

I am a 22 year old guy who is struggling with finance and am on the waiting list for a spot in the apartment so with that being said, I plan on temporarily staying in the motel that I pay by the week until I get apt. Once I get settled in apartment I will be applying going back to school. Basically, I'm going to be completely on my own first time in my life and it's a lot overwhelming. So I am wondering have any of you ever had experience with what I am about to go through?
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
I am a 22 year old guy who is struggling with finance and am on the waiting list for a spot in the apartment so with that being said, I plan on temporarily staying in the motel that I pay by the week until I get apt. Once I get settled in apartment I will be applying going back to school. Basically, I'm going to be completely on my own first time in my life and it's a lot overwhelming. So I am wondering have any of you ever had experience with what I am about to go through?
A lot of us have had the experience of moving out and living on our own. I did it when I was 16.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
jamesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
A lot of us have had the experience of moving out and living on our own. I did it when I was 16.
Ok. that must have been tough at 16. I'm assuming every adult had the experience of moving out on their own the first time.
I guess i'm asking for how people deal with the experience yourself being deaf and everybody hearing. I know how. I'm not an idiot. just asking for somebody to share their experience. I moved back to and from with my dad and mom from different states. And I have moved in with other people in new states so it's not like I'm a little mama's boy that never do anything by myself. This time I'm just really on my own. not counting on anybody to make calls for me and renting a motel by the week. I haven't seen it yet and I'm sure it's not in best part of this medium size city.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
KristinaB
Emotional Mess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one of the very few that I know of who has never lived on my own, ever.
KristinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Warped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck! It'll be one of the best experiences you'll have in your life. When I started living on my own, there were so much I had to learn, and I definitely learned them the hard way. However, that came with almost total freedom, and I'm pretty sure I pushed that past the limit.. hahaha.

One advice, be sure to have a solid financial plan. So many people screw themselves over by making poor financial decisions. It's ok to be conservative with your money.
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
whatdidyousay!

Liked 92 Times in 74 Posts
I can remember getting my first apartment on my own in South End of Boston! It was just me and my two cats! I was painting the wall right over the door and was on a ladder and my door opened up and some strange guy came in nearly knocking me off the ladder! I freaked out! He was the last tenant and I can't remember what he wanted! I woke up one night as my 2 cats where fighting in my bed and when I turned the light on I found out what the fight was about! My cats where fighting over a live rat in my bed!! I screamed bloody murder! I did not stay in that apartment very long!! My next apartment was with my sister and her boyfriend and we lived in Cambridge. No rats there!!

Have you thought of getting a roommate to help with cost of the rent then you could get a nicer place?

Last edited by whatdidyousay!; 07-24-2011 at 10:11 PM.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's scary at first but you can do it! Make some friends when you get settled. Some people your age.
Unread 07-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Berry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Berry
Every body does it.

Every body survives.

You will do fine.

Living life in the sandbox.
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
jamesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped View Post
Good luck! It'll be one of the best experiences you'll have in your life. When I started living on my own, there were so much I had to learn, and I definitely learned them the hard way. However, that came with almost total freedom, and I'm pretty sure I pushed that past the limit.. hahaha.

One advice, be sure to have a solid financial plan. So many people screw themselves over by making poor financial decisions. It's ok to be conservative with your money.
Yeah, the hard way seems to be my learning style unfortunately, lol.
I remember I couldn't wait to turn 18 because I thought that equaled freedom. Well I found it also equals lot more responsible too. lesson learned there.

I'm pretty good with money management. I just don't have much to mange. I guess a lot of people are having that issue in this economy crisis.
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Daredevel7
Adrenaline Junky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, the hard way seems to be my learning style unfortunately, lol.
I remember I couldn't wait to turn 18 because I thought that equaled freedom. Well I found it also equals lot more responsible too. lesson learned there.

I'm pretty good with money management. I just don't have much to mange. I guess a lot of people are having that issue in this economy crisis.
I really hope you don't have mange. Is that why you have to live on your own?

Daredevel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
are your parents helping you out?
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
jamesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I can remember getting my first apartment on my own in South End of Boston! It was just me and my two cats! I was painting the wall right over the door and was on a ladder and my door opened up and some strange guy came in nearly knocking me off the ladder! I freaked out! He was the last tenant and I can't remember what he wanted! I woke up one night as my 2 cats where fighting in my bed and when I turned the light on I found out what the fight was about! My cats where fighting over a live rat in my bed!! I screamed bloody murder! I did not stay in that apartment very long!! My next apartment was with my sister and her boyfriend and we lived in Cambridge. No rats there!!

Have you thought of getting a roommate to help with cost of the rent then you could get a nicer place?
LOL that was funny. At least your cats took care of a rat for you so you didn't have to get rid of a rat by yourself. I guess it's a good thing to have cats looking out for you when your all by yourself. I'm screwed there. I'm allergic to cats. I guess I'll stop by the dollar store for some cheap mouse traps.

I have considered getting a roommate but I realize I prefer to have the whole apartment to myself. I had been there before and it didn't go very well.
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
ladysolitary85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never live completely on my own, but living away from family and living with friends, roommates, your significant other is such a incredible experience that is both good and bad! The world can be a cold place and it can try to crush, test you but do not feel afraid by it! Make friends but be careful as shady people do have a great way of making life harder.

Congrats to you! there's a lot to learn! enjoy your life to its fullest!
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
whatdidyousay!

Liked 92 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
LOL that was funny. At least your cats took care of a rat for you so you didn't have to get rid of a rat by yourself. I guess it's a good thing to have cats looking out for you when your all by yourself. I'm screwed there. I'm allergic to cats. I guess I'll stop by the dollar store for some cheap mouse traps.

I have considered getting a roommate but I realize I prefer to have the whole apartment to myself. I had been there before and it didn't go very well.
There are cats that have no fur , I am not sure if they're non allergic. I did find a very dead rat behind my refrigerator when I moved it ! I was really GROSSED OUT! I know it can be very hard living with another person. And it not a good ides to have a friend as roommate. I did 2 times and it can harm a good friendship. You subtract the cost of the mouse traps from your rent or have your landlord pay for them as the are his/she mice!
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Everyone will struggle with being on their own at some point in their lives.

I moved out on my own when I was 20 years old. It was sorta when I was 19.

I moved into an apartment with a roommate when I was 19, but when his girlfriend and kids moved in... I moved out and got my own apartment when I was 20.
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will do fine as long you can do it and think positive.

I moved out on my own when I was 23 years old.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
The first time I ever moved out from my parents was really easy because I was moving in with my ex hubby whom I was about to marry in a short time because it wasnt like I was completely on my own. However, it was 10 years later, that I moved out on my own when we split up. It was terrifying because I was all alone in Maryland , not in AZ with my family nearby. I moved in with two other friends since I couldnt afford my own place. I remember my hand shaking so badly when I signed the new contract for the apt.

Afterwards, my life was full of ups and downs being on my own which caused me to move to a new place yearly due to roommate problems or jobs. Now, I am living in the house my 2nd hubby and I bought 4 years ago and I hope to never go through what I went through after my split again. No regrets but life was very very stressful.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
sheila022

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to sheila022
I'm pretty much living on my own now (some roommates, of course, to split rent) and 21 years old but no financial support from parents. It has good and bad parts to living on your own. The most important thing is to be careful about finances and living frugal as possible. The sad thing is....amongst my peers my age, I'm the only one who have lived independently so far. My friends would tell me that I'm doing it years earlier than everybody else and sometimes wished that they can do what I'm doing...but...sometimes, I wish I was in their place.

sheila022 is offline   Reply With Quote