AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
hellos245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Anxiety, Stress, Mental Health...

Does anyone have chronic stress and worry all the time, even about the smallest things, that you cant control?

Does your worrying make you physically sick?

Mine does.

Do you get sick or did you get diagnosed with a more serious illness?

So far, I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, Generalize Anxiety Disorder, and OCD. I have panic attacks, and spurts of being completely sick, from every possible angle. I call them episodes. It affects me everyday!

Any tips on dealing with stress, panic attacks, or a way to avoid the sick spurts?

Let me edit this: I do see a psychiatrist, and I do take meds. I have tried ALOT of different ones, and I finally found some that work, but sometimes I still have these episodes. I do have 'rescue' meds which I take at the onset of a panic attack. I just didnt know if there was something not medication wise that I could do (I have the medication and doctor part covered!). I have a treatment plan, but sometimes its just not that easy.
I have had anxiety problems my whole life, but within the past 2 years it has gotten much worse and out of control sometimes.

I like smileys!!

Last edited by hellos245; 07-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
hellos245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
kbnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I struggle with constant worries, it's awful and I hope that you find something that helps you soon.

Personally, I try to find something to do that keeps my mind off of everything. Learn something new, play a game of some sort, or something like that.
kbnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Have anxiety disorder personal I am experience tell you you have fear social phobia, I am scared worried, fear, social people angry on me I am very scared, I am experience anxiery you have professional because something your medication suffer not work
I recommand your mental on counsellor help advise professional! you have problem anxiety how long term?
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellos245 View Post

Does anyone have chronic stress and worry all the time, even about the smallest things, that you cant control?

Does your worrying make you physically sick?

Mine does.

Do you get sick or did you get diagnosed with a more serious illness?

So far, I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, Generalize Anxiety Disorder, and OCD. I have panic attacks, and spurts of being completely sick, from every possible angle. I call them episodes. It affects me everyday!

Any tips on dealing with stress, panic attacks, or a way to avoid the sick spurts?

I like smileys!!
See a therapist and start working on a treatment plan. Then follow the treatment plan.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Diagnosed with GAD and PTSD with OCD tendencies (amongst other things), I am being treated for all of it. From a medical/psych point of view, I take a integrated approach to treatment. I am on a very good drug regimen and I also take nutritional supplements. The two work in in tandem to keep my moods level and seems to work well for ME.

I also have been working with a dialectical behavior therapist, which has helped me gain control of my emotions and deal with situations on a day to day basis.

I would say that my anxiety is partially controlled. One of the meds in my regimen is a "rescue med" that I take when an anxiety attack begins. It helps to either stop it completely or lessen it's severity so that I can use my DBT skills I learned to help ride out the attack I'm having.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
See a therapist and start working on a treatment plan. Then follow the treatment plan.
I agree you that is correct important! work help your therapist!
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
kbnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the people here as well, if it is serious please continue to seek professional help
kbnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnyc View Post
I agree with the people here as well, if it is serious please continue to seek professional help
amen!
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
hellos245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtr View Post
I Have anxiety disorder personal I am experience tell you you have fear social phobia, I am scared worried, fear, social people angry on me I am very scared, I am experience anxiery you have professional because something your medication suffer not work
I recommand your mental on counsellor help advise professional! you have problem anxiety how long term?
I have had anxiety problems my whole life, but within the past 2 years it has gotten much worse and out of control sometimes.
I have tried many different medications.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
hellos245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
I do see a therapist and I am on a treatment plan. I have tried many treatment plans. Sometimes its not that easy.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
hellos245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze View Post
Diagnosed with GAD and PTSD with OCD tendencies (amongst other things), I am being treated for all of it. From a medical/psych point of view, I take a integrated approach to treatment. I am on a very good drug regimen and I also take nutritional supplements. The two work in in tandem to keep my moods level and seems to work well for ME.

I also have been working with a dialectical behavior therapist, which has helped me gain control of my emotions and deal with situations on a day to day basis.

I would say that my anxiety is partially controlled. One of the meds in my regimen is a "rescue med" that I take when an anxiety attack begins. It helps to either stop it completely or lessen it's severity so that I can use my DBT skills I learned to help ride out the attack I'm having.
I do what I have bolded.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I have tried many different medications.
you tried on medication fail on not work! people have tried medication,

doctor follow on recommend increase your medication!!
that is not easy complication!I hope be your feeling better

doctor help your adjust to your medication worth!
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
inmate23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to inmate23
I have PTSD,depression,EDNOS,conduct disorder(which was the foster care system trying to get me into lockup),Attachment issues(undiagnosed), Alters(undiagnosed),

my meds are sequite and liquid pain relief

i use asl rochester method or pop or oral
inmate23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every one is different. I have health issues that led to panic attack years ago now they are gone because I knew what it caused. Once in a while when I feel it coming then I knew my body is out of whack and control then it went away. I am on this medicine for one hormone, one hormone can whack and caused you anixety attack. so stress is one signal would cause you have this attack. By doing this you need to let stress go by maybe take a walk in nature or mediate. Good luck.
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I do what I have bolded.
Not to criticise, but drug treatment alone doesn't work, usually (I tried this for many years).

CBT and another forms of "talk" therapies have been proven very effective for anxiety and depressive disorders.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I do see a therapist and I am on a treatment plan. I have tried many treatment plans. Sometimes its not that easy.
Forgive me, but the bolded sounds like an excuse. Treatment ISN'T easy. Drug therapy won't completely get rid of the anxiety we feel. It just takes the edge off so we can function. The aim of drug therapy is to help us be functional so that we can work with a pyschologist to help ourselves deal with the things that scare us.

Also, the therapy ITSELF is difficult, because, LIFE is difficult. If you're looking for "easy", you won't find it.

Hang in there, it does get better with time if you're willing to put a lot of work into changing things. But, it does take a lot of time!
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Not to criticise, but drug treatment alone doesn't work, usually (I tried this for many years).

CBT and another forms of "talk" therapies have been proven very effective for anxiety and depressive disorders.
I remember CBT, I remember CBT I experience lots of CBT therapy!
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
rockin'robin

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
While I do agree that everyone is different...in my case, I solved it on my own. After several nervous breakdowns, and being prescribed so many, many medications, seeing a psycharist 2-3 times a month.

I realized that I did not need all those medications!...I took some advise, and moved away from all the stress and took it easy for several months. I believe that it's just "life in general" that caused me so much anxiety and stress....even one psycharist told me that "your deafness is the reason you are depressed"!....And I never saw that psycharist again!

It's been many, many years since I've taken any medication, I don't believe in pills....all I take is meds for acid reflux and ear drops for my ears.

Find a good therapist or psycharist to help you, without Pills. So many doctors are what you might call "Pill Happy", always having their notepads out and prescribing pills for every little thing.

Wishing you the best! Be strong, and remember it's still a beautiful world out there, with all it's sham and drudgery, try to find some peace within your soul!
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
While I do agree that everyone is different...in my case, I solved it on my own. After several nervous breakdowns, and being prescribed so many, many medications, seeing a psycharist 2-3 times a month.

I realized that I did not need all those medications!...I took some advise, and moved away from all the stress and took it easy for several months. I believe that it's just "life in general" that caused me so much anxiety and stress....even one psycharist told me that "your deafness is the reason you are depressed"!....And I never saw that psycharist again!

It's been many, many years since I've taken any medication, I don't believe in pills....all I take is meds for acid reflux and ear drops for my ears.

Find a good therapist or psycharist to help you, without Pills. So many doctors are what you might call "Pill Happy", always having their notepads out and prescribing pills for every little thing.

Wishing you the best! Be strong, and remember it's still a beautiful world out there, with all it's sham and drudgery, try to find some peace within your soul!
I agree with this and disagree with this all at once!

For most people, a non drug regimen approach is the way to go. But, for some like me, drug therapy was and is needed. We cannot say for sure what the situation is for the OP. Therefore, I would say consult a GOOD therapist first. Get started with that. Then, if that therapist recommends drug therapy, seek a GOOD psychiatrist for an assessment. Btw, only a qualified psychiatrist should be prescribing and monitering drug treatment. Psychologists aren't qualifed to do so (they don't have an MD). As for general practitioners, they can and do prescribe, but in my opinion, don't have the training to truly do the monitering of the meds that is necessary.

You are right when you say there is a lot of over prescribing of psychiatric medication. There is. I have seen it in other areas, but sometimes, we cannot function without meds.

Just adding my .02.

Whatever the OP does, they need to realize that there is NO quick fix. It takes time and effort to achieve stability.

Like you, I wish them good luck!
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
inmate23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to inmate23
CBT(as with most behavioural therapy) has very limited application in MY veiw

And CAN a waste be of insurance cover

There are other therapies out there

i use asl rochester method or pop or oral
inmate23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
AJWSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Forgive me, but the bolded sounds like an excuse. Treatment ISN'T easy. Drug therapy won't completely get rid of the anxiety we feel. It just takes the edge off so we can function. The aim of drug therapy is to help us be functional so that we can work with a pyschologist to help ourselves deal with the things that scare us.

Also, the therapy ITSELF is difficult, because, LIFE is difficult. If you're looking for "easy", you won't find it.

Hang in there, it does get better with time if you're willing to put a lot of work into changing things. But, it does take a lot of time!
Adding my 2 cents worth:

I have a long history of mental health difficulties, which has included spent time in psychiatric wards. I have found medication prescribed by my psychiatrist to be helpful, but the most helpful thing for me has been learning to manage my thoughts and emotions using the insights of psychological research and properly trained counsellors/therapists/psychologists.
(Psychiatrists are better at the drug side of things, while qualified psychologists are better at the psychological side of things.)

I agree with Oceanbreeze in that drugs can only do so much, though what they do can be essential. And it is relatively easy to swallow pills. What is much harder is learning how to manage my moods, thoughts and emotions (note that I say 'manage' and not 'control' because if I could "control" my feelings, I would make sure I never get those horrible ones ever again!!!). And to echo Oceanbreeze again, easy it ain't! On average, I've devoted about half a dozen hours a week, every week, for fifteen years at the psychological side of things, and I anticipate having to continue to spend this amount of time until I die.
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
hellos245

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know...

Quote:

I'm not looking for easy. Im just asking for tips that anyone has that I could try. I have done CBT and it has helped, but I still have episodes, and thats what Im asking about. Tips to control/manage myself better.
I know these is no easy fix, there may be no fix at all, this isnt an easy illness, and life isn't easy. I just want a way that I can live a normal life. Its not 1 thing in particular that scares me, thats why its called Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #23
AJWSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate23 View Post

I agree the CBT is not as effective as some people claim it to be. This is because in recent years it has been sold as a low cost quick cure for mental illness and money (or saving money) shouts very loud, louder than balanced research. However done properly, and away from the accountants, CBT does work well for "less serious" mental problems such as stress. IMO it doesn't work as well for the deep seated problems that have left sufferers emotionally damaged such as childhood trauma.
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
AJWSmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I'm not looking for easy. Im just asking for tips that anyone has that I could try. I have done CBT and it has helped, but I still have episodes, and thats what Im asking about. Tips to control/manage myself better.
I know these is no easy fix, there may be no fix at all, this isnt an easy illness, and life isn't easy. I just want a way that I can live a normal life. Its not 1 thing in particular that scares me, thats why its called Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Have you explored Mindfulness therapy? MBCT Home
Or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? Acceptance and Commitment Therapy - Wikipedia
Or my personal favourite - Compassionate Mindfulness Therapy Compassionate Mind Foundation

What I found personally helpful from these therapies is that they teach me to accept my difficult & painful feelings, rather than criticize myself for having these problems. In my experience I've discovered that if I start to judge myself and tell myself to do better or that I need to "fix" myself, it has the paradoxical effect of making me worse. But if I genuinely and compassionately accept my painful moods/thoughts/feelings, they don't get "fixed", but an edge is slowly taken off them making them just that little bit easier to live with.

An analogy I use is that sometimes my painful emotions are so powerful that it's like sinking into quicksand that saps all my energy making me feel like I'm going to drown and disappear under the surface. My instinct is to struggle and fight but that makes it worse. If I can learn to relax (and this isn't easy!) then I slowly stop sinking and my head stays above the surface.

The discomfort is there, and I'm not "fixed", but I now know that I'm not going to drown. I don't feel cured, but I have hope that I can endure this pain. A person without mental illness may read this and think "That doesn't sound very much", but to me it's a massive improvement on thinking that it's all too much and I can't look forward to anything.
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate23 View Post

There are many psychological approaches for anxiety and depression, my friend. CBT is but just one of them. There's also Dialectical Behavior Therapy (which I'm personally a fan of) and other therapies.

I would agree with you that the more complicated the person's diagnosis is, the harder it is to treat. I personally started out with CBT and didn't do well. Eventually, I moved on to DBT, and have now been stable for about 3 yrs. As I mentioned, it takes time and effort to find the right treatment. It's also worth it in the long run.
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #26
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I'm aware that people with GAD are fearful of many things. I suffer from it, myself and many things can set me off.

You could try seeing a good osteopath. A Dr who is familiar with both western medical approaches and nutrition. They can investigate whether or not you have nutritional deficiencies that may be helped by supplements. I did this and found that I, in fact, am deficient in a lot of B vitamins. Therefore, I supplement.

You could also try yoga to help relax you. Also, having a routine to rely on is helpful. I find that when things get chaotic, things start to go side ways for me. I find that having a set routine grounds me and gives me something to count on when whatever else is making me jumpy. I am someone who thrives on predictability. The more unpredictable things are for me, the harder I'm going to struggle. Therefore, I have set bedtime that I adhere to, regardless. I also make sure I eat regularly. These things sound simple (and they may be), but for ME, they are also very important. If I am overtired, I really start having a hard time coping.

Also, some kind of exercise might also be of help. Exercise is said to help alleviate depression and anxiety. Even something as simple as a 20 mins walk a few times a week can be helpful.
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #27
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWSmith View Post
I agree the CBT is not as effective as some people claim it to be. This is because in recent years it has been sold as a low cost quick cure for mental illness and money (or saving money) shouts very loud, louder than balanced research. However done properly, and away from the accountants, CBT does work well for "less serious" mental problems such as stress. IMO it doesn't work as well for the deep seated problems that have left sufferers emotionally damaged such as childhood trauma.
It also doesn't work very well for certain eating disorders, either. In fact, NO therapy has been effective in EDs unless full weight restoration is undertaken (if underweight) and/or chaotic eating habits have been corrected. Once weight restored, then therapy can begin and therapeutic techniques employed.

To date, there's been no empirical data to suggest that "talk therapy" is effective in anorexia nervosa. DBT has been used but it's experimental. Studies have been done and have shown that CBT is effective with bulimia along with the introduction of prozac (fluoxetine).
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #28
Oceanbreeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWSmith View Post
Have you explored Mindfulness therapy? MBCT Home
Or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? Acceptance and Commitment Therapy - Wikipedia
Or my personal favourite - Compassionate Mindfulness Therapy Compassionate Mind Foundation

What I found personally helpful from these therapies is that they teach me to accept my difficult & painful feelings, rather than criticize myself for having these problems. In my experience I've discovered that if I start to judge myself and tell myself to do better or that I need to "fix" myself, it has the paradoxical effect of making me worse. But if I genuinely and compassionately accept my painful moods/thoughts/feelings, they don't get "fixed", but an edge is slowly taken off them making them just that little bit easier to live with.

An analogy I use is that sometimes my painful emotions are so powerful that it's like sinking into quicksand that saps all my energy making me feel like I'm going to drown and disappear under the surface. My instinct is to struggle and fight but that makes it worse. If I can learn to relax (and this isn't easy!) then I slowly stop sinking and my head stays above the surface.

The discomfort is there, and I'm not "fixed", but I now know that I'm not going to drown. I don't feel cured, but I have hope that I can endure this pain. A person without mental illness may read this and think "That doesn't sound very much", but to me it's a massive improvement on thinking that it's all too much and I can't look forward to anything.
I'm a huge fan of mindfulness techniques.
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Smithtr
Web development/Graphic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post

it is true! strong on advise on explain medication! If suppose on depend anxiety reason health complication! strong advise! important! that is why pretty lots of complication strong on advise!
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
KristinaB
Emotional Mess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been diagnosed with GAD, Situational Anxiety Disorder, OCD among other things. I have also gone through 2 periods of severe depression. During the depression episodes, I was on medication and seeing a therapist. Right now, I am seeing a therapist online, but not on any medication. Part of my treatment plans are making sure I have plenty of hobbies and different forms of relaxation. We know that the SAD will go away or at least not be as bad, once I move out of my MIL's home.

I rely on all of my hobbies and such to get me through. I do not like to be on medication if I can help it, but, if the therapist or my doctor feel I need it, then I will take it as long as I need it. So far, I am doing well. I do not vent as much here on AD as I had been doing. I have a journal on my computer that has 3 passwords that I type out everything. It then gets sent every three months to my therapist. I am in Florida and she is in Missouri.

Good Luck!!
KristinaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, mental health, panic, sickness, stress