AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
warpedpink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

What are some of the annoying things hearing people say to you? Classic examples include "i'll pray for you" (to get your hearing back), *over enunciating* "can you read my lips?"

A while ago, I was visiting my parents and the three of us went to this little bakery. I wandered off and browsed the pastries. My dad came up and told this worker who was talking to my back that I was Deaf... Her response? "OHH how CUUUUUUUUTE!!" like I was a puppy. lol

My friends and I are playing a drinking game and swapping stories and I'm fresh out because I don't hang with hearing people almost ever soooo.. help me out!

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
AlleyCat

Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
I can so totally relate to every single thing you posted just now.

I totally hate the "I'll pray for you" -- I've had that numerous times. Pray for what? Nothing's wrong with me, ma'am or sir!
AlleyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
deafbajagal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You drive?! But...but...you're deaf!
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
BecLak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

"You didn't pay enough attention nor listened carefully to what I said"

Exodus 4:11 Ignorance is no longer bliss. Be Educated.

KEEP IN STEP WITH ME: Sign Text Email Pen and Paper
BecLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Grummer

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
"can you read my lips" showing the other sets of your lips LOL
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Grummer

or say, I felt like a cute puppy now, can i LICK your hands?? do you want to enjoy licking hands? Im gay, and I like women , wanna join me?"
LOL
watch her responses (or the future "How cute: morons
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Grummer

sorry cant help it its so funny
had to say it
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
JabberJay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to JabberJay
"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.
JabberJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
MidnightSun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hearing ppl stories

WOW, I know this comment will not be popular, but that's never stopped me from saying anything I feel before so...I really do understand your obvious anger with the people each of you mentioned, and all the others who just do not understand deafness. But that's my point, it may be annoying and some may say or do ignorant things, but don't you understand "they, the hearing" just don't get it, and probably never will unless they themselves experience deafness. Each of you have every right to be angered by the things you've had to endure by those who really just can not understand and probably never will. My problem is that instead of behaving like them, ignore them, refuse to do business with them, or just make a statement like, "so sorry if me deafness inconveniences you".

See I know for a fact, that most hearing people will never understand our world. Unless they choose to educate themselves (doubtful), or they or someone close to them becomes deaf. I just don't see anything positive coming out of behaving the same way they are, rude or ignorant. When I was hearing I made the same stupid mistakes most hearing do, I will admit it.
I just really had NO idea what it was like. Then overnight I became profoundly deaf, can't even hear my own voice. My own family who loves me,
didn't know what to say or how to approach me..they had to be taught as I had to learn...I really wish the deaf would take the "higher road" and not resort to the same ignorant type statements, the hearing make to us. It achieves nothing but furthering the anger and misunderstanding. My brother, who I love dearly went to the library and got a sheet on finger spelling and learned to finger spell with both hands..lol..he's amazing. My point being when I came home from the hospital after 2 weeks of testing, and the answer of "well we really do not know why you are deaf" My brother sat with me and taught me to finger spell. He said he saw the terror in my eyes sitting in the hospital bed, crying and screaming (I had no idea how loudly I was talking).
He decided he and I would learn the simplest way to communicate with out writing. I am Blessed to have him. But you see, he chose to educate himself so that we could communicate. Every hearing person in the would should know simple finger spelling. Kids learn it in a few days.
So, I apologize if I have offended any of you, but please, understand the hearing, for the most part do not have a clue to what we are experiencing. Is that their fault for saying these totally ridiculous things...I don't think it is.

I take responsibility for educating those around me, and if they do not want to take the time to learn 26 letters in hand movements..then OK we are going to lose each other or write everything..I just do not think it is fair to
rage on a hearing person who YES, says and does inapropriate or riduculous things because they just can not understand what our lives are like unless they themselves become HOH or deaf. Peace to you all, I do not expect you to agree, but those are my true feelings. Just because I am deaf does not mean I am going to act and/or react with anyless grace or dignity then I had when I was hearing. I myself am still working on Tolerance, but I'm getting there...Midnight♥♥♥♥ (with a little love we can change the world)
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
I once moved out of the way so an old man could pass me by (walking the opposite direction at the mall). He then turned around and enuciated very slowly... "Thank... you... ve... ry... much...". He saw me signing, assumed I was deaf, and thought that talking very slowly would make me understand him.

I appreciate his trying to be understanding of my deafness, but that is a bit of overkill.
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
"Never mind, I will tell you later." Only not to get told what was funny later.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Speedy Hawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like one Shel said and "don't worry", "it not important", "you don't need to know", etc.
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
warpedpink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys but I lost badly lol
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
"Never mind, I will tell you later." Only not to get told what was funny later.
That reminds me. A couple days ago I helped a friend who hired me to dig a ditch to expose a broken sewer pipe outside a house. It took me three hours but I got the job done, and I asked him exactly what his plans were in finishing the project. He said, "Never mind, I will tell you later. You can go home now and I will call you when it's ready to be refilled." A few hours later, I got the call, and he told me to fill in the hole, which I did (as well as making it look nice as a finished project). He then asked me to help him clear the cleanout pipe with a motorized snake. To make a long story short, it was FUBAR. The pipe underneath was hopelessly clogged, and he told me we would need to redig the hole and use the snake from the bottom of the hole after we cut off a pipe section to allow entry. Needless to say, to me it was a no-brainer: you clear the pipe BEFORE you bury the whole darn thing. I was diplomatic enough not to rib him over his huge goof. Poor sap, he paid me $80 for 4 hours work and will wind up paying even more. Oh well.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologizing and giving me the "funeral face."
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
playsonfreeway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomayja
"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.
Do you work in a quarry or on a construction site? Just wondering cause I operate a large rock truck from time to time. Now I just drive a water pull
playsonfreeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
JabberJay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to JabberJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by playsonfreeway View Post
Wirelessly posted

Do you work in a quarry or on a construction site? Just wondering cause I operate a large rock truck from time to time. Now I just drive a water pull
oilsands, with the 797's and similar. Some of the worlds largest trucks
JabberJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
Beach girl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post

... My own family who loves me,
didn't know what to say or how to approach me..they had to be taught as I had to learn...I really wish the deaf would take the "higher road" and not resort to the same ignorant type statements, the hearing make to us. It achieves nothing but furthering the anger and misunderstanding. My brother, who I love dearly went to the library and got a sheet on finger spelling and learned to finger spell with both hands..lol..he's amazing. My point being when I came home from the hospital after 2 weeks of testing, and the answer of "well we really do not know why you are deaf" My brother sat with me and taught me to finger spell. He said he saw the terror in my eyes sitting in the hospital bed, crying and screaming (I had no idea how loudly I was talking).
He decided he and I would learn the simplest way to communicate with out writing. I am Blessed to have him. But you see, he chose to educate himself so that we could communicate. (with a little love we can change the world)
I loved your whole post, but especially love what you said about your brother. Having a sibling like that is SUCH a blessing! You two are fortunate to have each other.
Beach girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest peeve is when I ask someone to repeat themselves. They will say "Nevermind" "It's Nothing" or "It wasn't important" I did not ask if it was important, I just simply asked them to repeat themselves.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummer View Post
"can you read my lips" showing the other sets of your lips LOL
my favorite. I get this all the time when I see doctors and nurses for medical reasons.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
My biggest peeve is when I ask someone to repeat themselves. They will say "Nevermind" "It's Nothing" or "It wasn't important" I did not ask if it was important, I just simply asked them to repeat themselves.
Nevermind has to be the most hated word in the Deaf community.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
AlleyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Nevermind has to be the most hated word in the Deaf community.
Don't I know it !!
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #23
deafbajagal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't you get one of them cochlear implant things?

If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me that...
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
KristinaB
Emotional Mess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had someone ask me the other day if I qualified for "ear transplants". What are those? Never heard of them. She did not know, but thought it was available.
KristinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
FadedRose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was once asked or rather it was exclaimed " You're allowed to drive!?" by a hearing person when I was a teenager.

It's the Oh, I'm sorry...about what? There's nothing to be sorry about that ticks me off.

I went to subway two years ago ( yes this has been burned into my psyche, I have not been to a subway since ) and asked for a regular sub. When asked if I wanted it toasted I kept "hearing" do I want turkey on my sub. Well, I responded as I had heard it and said no, I don't want turkey on my sub. The girls there started laughing. Lest I remind everyone that these were teenagers. If I hadn't been as old as I am one of the two would have been given a black eye...
I left in tears needless to say. It only dawned on me later that they were asking if I wanted my sub toasted.

those are the ones that have come to mind so far...
oh, can you have kids? Is another one I hate being asked. Um, yeah...we Deafs like to um, have fun like you do and procreation is possible. Stupid, stupid comments/questions like that just grate on my nerves. When I tell people I had my tubes tied because I didn't want kids or need them due to health issues they automatically assume it's because I'm Deaf. No, it's because I have Lupus and getting pregnant wouldn't be a good thing for me. People....

here's another one-It was said to me once " WOW! you speak so well for a Deaf person you must be really smart! ". Riigghhtt. Yeah, testing wise it's 148 but that doesn't have crap to do with how well I speak. anyone else get those remarks about speech as well? It's either you're bright or stupid depending on the hearie that happens to cross your path.

FadedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #26
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
Apologizing and giving me the "funeral face."
Getting the "funeral face" every so often just makes me laugh. Honestly, that's how I respond to it. It's just so absurd. Especially when I look over at my child who pretty much spends every day of her life having a blast and being delighted by everything around her. Except when I make her eat green things and then she pulls the "funeral face".
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
AlleyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspheth View Post
I was once asked or rather it was exclaimed " You're allowed to drive!?" by a hearing person when I was a teenager.

It's the Oh, I'm sorry...about what? There's nothing to be sorry about that ticks me off.

I went to subway two years ago ( yes this has been burned into my psyche, I have not been to a subway since ) and asked for a regular sub. When asked if I wanted it toasted I kept "hearing" do I want turkey on my sub. Well, I responded as I had heard it and said no, I don't want turkey on my sub. The girls there started laughing. Lest I remind everyone that these were teenagers. If I hadn't been as old as I am one of the two would have been given a black eye...
I left in tears needless to say. It only dawned on me later that they were asking if I wanted my sub toasted.

oh, can you have kids? Is another one I hate being asked. Um, yeah...we Deafs like to um, have fun like you do and procreation is possible. Stupid, stupid comments/questions like that just grate on my nerves. When I tell people I had my tubes tied because I didn't want kids or need them due to health issues they automatically assume it's because I'm Deaf. No, it's because I have Lupus and getting pregnant wouldn't be a good thing for me. People....

here's another one-It was said to me once " WOW! you speak so well for a Deaf person you must be really smart! ". Riigghhtt. Yeah, testing wise it's 148 but that doesn't have crap to do with how well I speak. anyone else get those remarks about speech as well? It's either you're bright or stupid depending on the hearie that happens to cross your path.

The whole Subway story. Ouch. I've had that happen to me so often.
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #28
AlleyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
Getting the "funeral face" every so often just makes me laugh. Honestly, that's how I respond to it. It's just so absurd. Especially when I look over at my child who pretty much spends every day of her life having a blast and being delighted by everything around her. Except when I make her eat green things and then she pulls the "funeral face".

Sounds just like my SO when he sees peas.
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #29
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
She sounds like a normal girl.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #30
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspheth View Post

I have gotten that comment on my speech.

As for fast food orders, I've had similar reactions when I order BBQ sauce for my burgers. Either they don't understand my order or they think I want chicken - not burgers. It's like BBQ sauce on burgers is just not done.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!