Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Education
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Closed Thread
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
CrzyMeg

Send a message via AIM to CrzyMeg Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyMeg
My thoughts on Deaf Education

Hey just my thoughts. Probably mostly rant. Forgive me. But what i learn recently and from my personal experiences. I believe deaf people can raise up to the challenge to higher level standard of education if they put themselves to do it. True it is hard work. From my experience, my two hearing siblings were jealous of me why because they thought i had it easy when i was in mainstream school. I told them no. It isnt that easy. I had note takers, interpreters, closed captions for movies or shows that required for our assignments. It is not easy of course but in my mind and parents behind me supporting me that telling me that i can do it. What the point of us saying that DEAF CAN DO ANYTHING BUT HEAR?! If you say that, then why not set up goal that you think that it is so impossible to achieve and work toward that goal. When i went to Deaf Institute i usually hate English Literature myself and English but when i went to mainstream school. They surprises me so much. I love English Literature than i love math. I read books that i thought i couldnt read. I learn new vocabulary everyday. It is challenges. if you fail, try again. Fail and try again. That what i keep saying myself. I learn that when deaf grauate with elementary reading level plus for math only algreba understanding but couldnt get pass to geometry or higher level math. When i left Deaf institute, i was tested for reading level it wast level 1 plus for math i was on college level. I was suprise myself for math part. I knew so much math. But then i have my parents help me with my reading level which i manage to get it to high school level at my senior year at high school. It took me 7 years to do that. it is challenges for us. if you want something that badly then do it. Just dont tell me if you can do anything but hear. Because my thoughts on that, if you want to to achieve the impossible goal, then work on it. I know few that achieve it. Excuse my rambling about this. I just want you to think that all. if you are hearing parents, sending deaf child to deaf institute. Excuse for this saying. i have hearing family. they thought i would be good at Deaf institute but they didnt know that i have so much potential in mainstream school. I understand deaf culture and such but still. No excuse for lower education level for us. If hearing people can do it, then we can do it too. Thanks for listening to my rambling but if you have anything to say what i said. i will happy to respond it tonight. Cheers.

A PROUD POLYNESIAN INDIAN
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Bottesini
Your Name Here!

Hey Meg. From mainstream and my parents help, I have a very high reading and writing level. But I have to tell you my math skills are pretty much only adding and subtracting...
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
sheila022

Send a message via AIM to sheila022
Please clean up your written statement and grammar, especially if you want to convey your apparent intelligence to a bunch of people on the Internet But, uh, kudos to you overcoming your challenges.

Unread 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
posts from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila022 View Post
Please clean up your written statement and grammar, especially if you want to convey your apparent intelligence to a bunch of people on the Internet But, uh, kudos to you overcoming your challenges.
You too, Sheila.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
jillio
Banned

Quote:

Where does that sense of superiority come from?
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Hey Meg. From mainstream and my parents help, I have a very high reading and writing level. But I have to tell you my math skills are pretty much only adding and subtracting...
That i understand. I just frusated about one thing. If i am good in math and i am not that good in reading then i should work on it like as improving it. Instead of just achieve one and not the other. Like Most of us could do math and not so do well in reading and some of others not do so well in math but so good in reading. My point is, why not challenge yourselves to go what you wanted to go or chooses not to?

Quote:
Look Sheila i aint perfect in grammar and such. But if you could understand me then you should be fine. But if you say clean up your written statement that sound like grammar critic.

Unread 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
JoeyDeafNinja

People, stop tell people that their grammars sucks. It not mature way. Grow up.
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
InfamousMacBook

Send a message via AIM to InfamousMacBook Send a message via Yahoo to InfamousMacBook Send a message via Skype™ to InfamousMacBook
Exclamation RE: Sheila the Stickler

Quote:
If you're such a stickler for grammar maybe you shouldn't be on a forum. I believe freedom of speech covers bad grammar too! I'm sure my grammar is far better then yours if you want to put it to a test.

Either way a lot of well educated people don't use proper grammar or punctuation. It doesn't make them less of a person and doesn't qualify them as lazy either.

So really? :gives:
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousMacBook View Post
If you're such a stickler for grammar maybe you shouldn't be on a forum. I believe freedom of speech covers bad grammar too! I'm sure my grammar is far better then yours if you want to put it to a test.

Either way a lot of well education people don't use proper grammar or punctuation. It doesn't make them less of a person and doesn't qualify them as lazy either.

So really? :gives:
I would be surprise if someone say that we do our grammar incorrectly make us qualify for laziness.

Unread 05-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Oceanbreeze

Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post

Where does that sense of superiority come from?
No kidding!

Nobody on the forum is in a position to criticise one for their grammar. I, for one, have difficulty with grammar, sentence structure, and, punctuation. However, I do the best I can.

Being critical of someone just shows a lack of empathy; especially on a forum such as this. After all, none of us are presenting a college thesis here.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
deafskeptic
Premium Member

It would have been better to request that the op's post be broken into paragraphs than to comment on grammar.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Bottesini
Your Name Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
It would have been better to request that the op's post be broken into paragraphs than to comment on grammar.
Actually JClarke told me how to do that after I got here. So I was pretty old before I learned that.

Meg has a good point that we can all work on our lacking skills. But I do think it is far to late for me to ever learn more than basic math.
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Actually JClarke told me how to do that after I got here. So I was pretty old before I learned that.

Meg has a good point that we can all work on our lacking skills. But I do think it is far to late for me to ever learn more than basic math.
Technically it is never too late. I told my father that it is never too late to learn sign language. he is going deaf.

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
BecLak

Sheila,

If you took the time to read through the OP, Meg clearly says that she faces all her challenges. Reading and grammatical structure in English is not her strong point so she is still working at it. Her achievement of college level math is what should be commended. I also am a stickler for correct spelling and grammar however I am my own critic. It is only proper to show empathy where it is due. I commend Meg for her efforts in striving for the best in everything.

Exodus 4:11 Ignorance is no longer bliss. Be Educated.

KEEP IN STEP WITH ME: Sign Text Email Pen and Paper
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecLak View Post
Sheila,

If you took the time to read through the OP, Meg clearly says that she faces all her challenges. Reading and grammatical structure in English is not her strong point so she is still working at it. Her achievement of college level math is what should be commended. I also am a stickler for correct spelling and grammar however I am my own critic. It is only proper to show empathy where it is due. I commend Meg for her efforts in striving for the best in everything.
Amen!

My ASL is not as great as a native user so Sheila, if you are trying to perfect your skills at a language, does it help when you get criticized harsly?

--- Anonymous
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Quote:

you have a point there.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Oceanbreeze

Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecLak View Post
Sheila,

I, too, am my own worst critic. Therefore, I try never to judge others for the way they write or express themselves. If I can read it, it's good enough for me. Sentence structure and grammar is something that is learned early on. If there was gaps in the learning, there will be gaps in the comprehension. Regardless of cause, though, it should never be criticised; especially on a INFORMAL forum, for pete's sake!
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

oh my!
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
oh my!
Oh My what?

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMeg View Post
Oh My what?
Jiro is friends with Sheila so maybe he was surprised by all the comments directed at her. *just an assumption*

--- Anonymous
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Jiro is friends with Sheila so maybe he was surprised by all the comments directed at her. *just an assumption*
Ahh no wonder. just assumption lol. Never know

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
jillio
Banned

Quote:

Never too late, Bott! I am more than certain you could, if you wanted to badly enough.
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
Bottesini
Your Name Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Never too late, Bott! I am more than certain you could, if you wanted to badly enough.
Maybe. I guess I also lack motivation since I don't need to know more...
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Maybe. I guess I also lack motivation since I don't need to know more...
There you go. Spend your time learning what is useful to you.
Unread 06-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #25
ladysolitary85

Meg, I was also Mainstream. I elementary through jr high was pretty rough for me, I went to a high school that did have a deaf group classes, yet my mom insisted that I was fine in regular classes. I have struggled with math the most, went from special ed math and moved to a new town and got thrown into algebra (failed, then by some luck passed in summer school). Although I loved English literature, art, I'm a very visual creative person. Science did spark some interest but at that time it didn't really click for me.
Unread 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #26
CrzyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysolitary85 View Post
Meg, I was also Mainstream. I elementary through jr high was pretty rough for me, I went to a high school that did have a deaf group classes, yet my mom insisted that I was fine in regular classes. I have struggled with math the most, went from special ed math and moved to a new town and got thrown into algebra (failed, then by some luck passed in summer school). Although I loved English literature, art, I'm a very visual creative person. Science did spark some interest but at that time it didn't really click for me.
Ahh my parents insisted that i should go into deaf institute which i did for a year but i always have straight A's but i didnt mean to offended people with integiellence thoughts. But why not try again. Movie i saw last year, Haunted House, i dont know if you seen it or not. there a something the ghost ball said. Fail, try again. if fail try again. it make me feel like we can do it. it is hard and we will eventually learn. Try again when fail until get it right.

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
Grummer

DEAF CAN DO ANYTHING BUT HEAR?! is a political myth, for many reasons. One such reason I'd dare to say, its to reinforce 'the working class ideology' but removing the medical 'attitude' which fits in nicely with the political-correct social climate that we have now. In other words, its just there to shut us up.

Some of you might not like what i say, but that's my opinion.
Unread 06-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #28
Grummer

Last edited by Grummer; 06-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
shushugah

For this forum it's no big deal, and sheila was not saying that. What she was saying is if you want to make a deep impression on non deaf people, about why deaf people can match up and or overcome non deafies, you have to articulate yourself properly. I am a mathematical person, and I see english as a necessary evil convention, however I ain't getting love or respect from my family and friends, most of whomare humanities people. As are most people in society, So you have to conform to their standards, especially when you want to make a good impression on them as a representative of the deaf. If you don't care...then it's no big deal, but obviously you do, since are trying to raise social awareness on a sensitive issue. Sheila goes to one of the best colleges, and recently chaired an Alexander Graham Bell event for deaf students interested in college, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on her, although she will always be my stupid friend, xD
Unread 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushugah View Post
For this forum it's no big deal, and sheila was not saying that. What she was saying is if you want to make a deep impression on non deaf people, about why deaf people can match up and or overcome non deafies, you have to articulate yourself properly. I am a mathematical person, and I see english as a necessary evil convention, however I ain't getting love or respect from my family and friends, most of whomare humanities people. As are most people in society, So you have to conform to their standards, especially when you want to make a good impression on them as a representative of the deaf. If you don't care...then it's no big deal, but obviously you do, since are trying to raise social awareness on a sensitive issue. Sheila goes to one of the best colleges, and recently chaired an Alexander Graham Bell event for deaf students interested in college, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on her, although she will always be my stupid friend, xD

Now I know where that sense of superiority comes from.
Closed Thread