LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Closed Thread
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
netrox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deaf for AG Bell

I am curious how many prelingually deaf adults are members of AGBell and support its positions?

I don't care if they now know signs, just curious if they still stand with AG Bell positions.

Unread 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not even one of them.
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 164 Times in 94 Posts
Nope, dont support AGBell.

--- Anonymous
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post
I am curious how many prelingually deaf adults are members of AGBell and support its positions?

I don't care if they now know signs, just curious if they still stand with AG Bell positions.
I don't think I know anybody is support AGBell. But I have no intention to support that.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Beach girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What does AG Bell do?
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Bebonang

Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Not me, either. I don't support AGBell as he and the group of hearing supporters along side with him are more audists worse than ever. They can not see the reason why we suffered so much pain for not understanding in the hearing classrooms. No sign language at all, ever. No accommodations, ever.

Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

You speak to me on lip..
I don't speak..
I sign with you..
You gesture..
I can't hear you..
You can hear me..
You can see and I can see..
-Smell, Sense, Taste, Feel and See-
Was born with broken ears..
I was not perfect, but I am used to being happy and Deaf..
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 340 Times in 190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach girl View Post
What does AG Bell do?
Quote:
The mission of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell) is to advocate independence through listening and talking. Cochlear implants for children with hearing loss, combined with appropriate habilitation, can provide a key to making that independence achievable.
Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
netrox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
What does AG Bell do?
Well, the current position is that AG Bell recognizes ASL but believes that oralism works and that with CI , hearing aid, and therapy will make the deaf be part of the hearing. You know the usual.

But I am just curious... I wldn't think I'd find a fan of AG Bell but if you know someone who is a member of AG Bell and supports it, I'd like to know.
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Beach girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After I asked the question, I Googled it. Should have Googled it first!

Well, they don't bother me, but I couldn't figure out what they do if you're not in the CI market. To each their own, I guess.
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
netrox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bebong, I understand your point of view and it's very valid but just curious - it just seems that almost all deaf people who were raised orally become signers and don't agree with AG Bell.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
messymama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change country and you'll see... We don't even know who Bell is here (well ok I do), but in Italy, oralism is the norm and I know people who are deaf from birth and proudly say "never learned sign language and never needed it because I can talk".
Hopefully, my son won't be one of them...
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #12
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Bebong, I understand your point of view and it's very valid but just curious - it just seems that almost all deaf people who were raised orally become signers and don't agree with AG Bell.
Exactly what are you claiming about on what they don't agree with AG Bell?

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messymama View Post
Change country and you'll see... We don't even know who Bell is here (well ok I do), but in Italy, oralism is the norm and I know people who are deaf from birth and proudly say "never learned sign language and never needed it because I can talk".
Hopefully, my son won't be one of them...
Milan Conference.
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
deafdyke

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Just wondering how many members does the Adult Oral Deaf Section of AG BAD have? I did hear it wasn't that unusal to see people with 'terps at the conferences.....and they aren't as bad as they used to be regarding their stance on ASL. I think it's mainly b/c a lot of kids who grow up oral learn ASL as a second language. However they have to appease THOSE parents and the teachers and experts who think that life should be a speech therapy session for dhh kids. I would think that a lot of the adults are either alums of the oral schools (especially the dorm ones like St. Joseph's, CID and Clarke) or adults who do not identify with ASL and Deaf culture.
Quote:
but I couldn't figure out what they do if you're not in the CI market. To each their own, I guess
Actually they used to promote high powered hearing aids. And this is the very same organization that made a HUGE HUGE fuss about that Deaf joke Superbowl commerical a while back.
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonut View Post
Exactly what are you claiming about on what they don't agree with AG Bell?
netrox is just making an observtion. 'Tis all.

Netrox, I don't support AG Bell organization or the likes.

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #16
messymama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
Milan Conference.
Exactly.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
Hohtopics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Well, the current position is that AG Bell recognizes ASL but believes that oralism works and that with CI , hearing aid, and therapy will make the deaf be part of the hearing. You know the usual.

But I am just curious... I wldn't think I'd find a fan of AG Bell but if you know someone who is a member of AG Bell and supports it, I'd like to know.
Why you'd like to know? What's the purpose?
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
GrendelQ
41°17′00″N 70°04′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
What does AG Bell do?
They do a lot of advocacy, early intervention, support for IDEA, lobbying for insurance to support hearing aids and for ADA, captioning, broadband access, and early intervention, providing many scholarships for deaf kids and financial aid for TODs, giving legal support for deaf people who've been discriminated against, offering summer camps so deaf kids can come together, pushing for widespread awareness of deafness and deaf issues, publish research, and so on.

They do support assistive hearing hearing technologies including HAs and CIs, but CIs aren't their primary platform. The quote Botti gave is from their page specific to their position on cochlear implants. There's also a page on ASL.

Quote:
The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing helps families, health care providers and education professionals understand childhood hearing loss and the importance of early diagnosis and intervention.
They encourage exploring a range of communication methods, including sign, but they also openly state that their focus is on achieving independence through listening and speaking wherever possible. They are pretty much in your face about that, and have done some ridiculous things like sending a letter of protest that a very cool SuperBowl ad that featured sign didn't represent all deaf (although many of their members actively complained about such a stupid and offensive letter) and obviously they are not the most well-respected org among AD-ers. Aside from those who benefitted from many of those scholarships. But they are also very powerful and have poured money and services towards deaf issues and have achieved a great deal in terms of building awareness of hearing loss and discrimination among lawmakers and the public alike and developing an enormous knowledge base.
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Frisky Feline

Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
Nope.
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
kokonut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
They do a lot of advocacy, early intervention, support for IDEA, lobbying for insurance to support hearing aids and for ADA, captioning, broadband access, and early intervention, providing many scholarships for deaf kids and financial aid for TODs, giving legal support for deaf people who've been discriminated against, offering summer camps so deaf kids can come together, pushing for widespread awareness of deafness and deaf issues, publish research, and so on.

They do support assistive hearing hearing technologies including HAs and CIs, but CIs aren't their primary platform. The quote Botti gave is from their page specific to their position on cochlear implants. There's also a page on ASL.

They encourage exploring a range of communication methods, including sign, but they also openly state that their focus is on achieving independence through listening and speaking wherever possible. They are pretty much in your face about that, and have done some ridiculous things like sending a letter of protest that a very cool SuperBowl ad that featured sign didn't represent all deaf (although many of their members actively complained about such a stupid and offensive letter) and obviously they are not the most well-respected org among AD-ers. Aside from those who benefitted from many of those scholarships. But they are also very powerful and have poured money and services towards deaf issues and have achieved a great deal in terms of building awareness of hearing loss and discrimination among lawmakers and the public alike and developing an enormous knowledge base.
In the red bold, can you show where this was the case?

Thanks.

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
GrendelQ
41°17′00″N 70°04′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonut View Post
In the red bold, can you show where this was the case?

Thanks.
No problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
When that commercial came out in 2008, I wrote a letter in praise to Pepsico and one in protest to AGBell as a member. I received a polite reply I don't have now, but I recall it explaining that AGBell had received quite a bit of similar response from its membership in praise of the commercial and rejecting the letter as not being representative of members' sentiment.

AGBell posted some of those responses (not mine, though ), as well, and I think it has made an impact, one I believe has been reflected in some internal changes within the org. since that time.
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Helen Keller were probably one. Old, black white photography of her, with Anna and Alex. Alex is the fat guy with beard and a hat that looks like an egg. They are sitting on chairs on a field of grass. Someone have written 1901 on the photography.

Don't know of anyone that fit your description today. If I were a deaf punk, I would perhaps become a member for the fun of it because AG Bell are so far out and nasty.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #23
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I could probably make a pretty accurate guess of the number of AD members that are supportive of A.G. Bell policy. It would be small, but very predictable.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #24
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me out when it comes to AGBAD.

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Count me out when it comes to AGBAD.
Never would have included you in that small minority to begin with!
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If no one are members of AG Balls, just supportive, is it because they fear a rejection from the deaf community if they become members? I don't know the US deaf community that well, so sorry if this question just is stupid.

Also, are people here members of NAD, or is that uncommon, too?
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
If no one are members of AG Balls, just supportive, is it because they fear a rejection from the deaf community if they become members? I don't know the US deaf community that well, so sorry if this question just is stupid.

Also, are people here members of NAD, or is that uncommon, too?
Naw. Probably just the kind that talks alot but never gets completely involved in anything.

I am an NAD member.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
You know, I could probably make a pretty accurate guess of the number of AD members that are supportive of A.G. Bell policy. It would be small, but very predictable.
Resistance is futile.
You*will*be* assimilated.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #29
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Resistance is futile.
You*will*be* assimilated.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
deafskeptic