AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > On-topic Debates > Religion, Spiritual & Other Beliefs
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter

Unread 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
rockin'robin

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Doomsday Church: Still Open For Business

Employees Not Convinced Rapture Coming

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- By now, you've probably heard of the religious group that's predicting the end of the world starts this weekend.

Harold Camping and his devoted followers claim a massive earthquake will mark the second coming of Jesus, or so-called Judgment Day on Saturday, May 21, ushering in a five month period of catastrophes before the world comes to a complete end in October.

At the center of it all, Camping's organization, Family Radio, is perfectly happy to take your money -- and in fact, received $80 million in contributions between 2005 and 2009. Camping founded Family Radio, a nonprofit Christian radio network based in Oakland, Calif. with about 65 stations across the country, in 1958.

But not even all of his own employees are convinced that the world is ending on Saturday.

In fact, many still plan on showing up at work on Monday.

"I don't believe in any of this stuff that's going on, and I plan on being here next week," a receptionist at their Oakland headquarters told CNNMoney.

A program producer in Illinois told us, "We're going to continue doing what we're doing."

According to their most recent IRS filings, Family Radio is almost entirely funded by donations, and brought in $18 million in contributions in 2009 alone.

According to those financial documents, accountants put the total worth of Family Radio (referred to as Family Stations on its official forms) at $72 million.

With those kind of financials -- and controversial beliefs -- it's no wonder skeptics have accused the group of running a scam.

Camping first inaccurately predicted the world would end in 1994. Even so, he has gathered even more followers -- some who have given up their homes, entire life savings and their jobs because they believe the world is ending.

Esther, the receptionist in the Oakland office, said some of her most extreme coworkers have recently driven up in fancy cars or taken their families on nice vacations as a last hurray.

But overall, she estimates about 80% of her coworkers don't even agree with Camping's May 21 forecast. She has stuck to her work as usual, booking appointments and filling up calendars for her coworkers well beyond the May 21 date.

Meanwhile, some employees are questioning the meaning of Harold Camping's goodbye letter sent to the Family Radio mailing list last week. While he says farewell, he encourages employees to "steadfastly continue to stand with us to proclaim the Gospel through Family Radio."

Could that mean he plans on disappearing, but the company should still go about its business as usual?

The producer in Illinois said, "We're trying to guess what it means for the company. Our producers have programs done through the end of the month, so we're not looking at that having any effect on the work." Also curious is why Family Radio filed for an extension to file their financial paperwork. The group is required to file financial paperwork in many of the states where they solicit donations, and in Minnesota they requested an extension from their July 15 deadline to November 15.

July 15th was already well past their Judgment Day prediction -- when they say believers will ascend to heaven -- so why bother requesting an extension to November?

But Family Radio's financial filings otherwise look hardly unusual for a religious nonprofit.

"At first glance, it looks like they have a lot of assets, but they actually don't have a lot of cash that they're stockpiling," said Laurie Styron, analyst with the American Institute of Philanthropy.

Most of the group's net worth is tied up in FCC broadcasting licenses, valued at $56 million. Family Radio claimed it held only $1.5 million in cash on its books at the end of 2009.

The paperwork shows Camping has so far, never taken a penny for his own salary, but Family Radio has plenty of other paid employees.

The nonprofit employed about 350 people and paid them a collective $8.3 million -- or roughly $23,000 per person -- in 2009.

What the 2009 IRS filings don't show, is how the organization's donations and expenses may have changed during 2010 and leading up to the May 21 Judgment Day prediction.

In the last few months, Family Radio billboards have popped up across the country. And the group purchased RVs to drive around the country on its evangelizing missions.

Those expenses could have changed their financial picture, but since Family Radio doesn't have to turn in their next IRS filing until November, it may not even matter.

"If people donating to this group think the world is ending on Saturday, then I'm not sure that they care," Styron said.

Doomsday Church: Still Open For Business - Family News Story - WJXT Jacksonville
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
saywhatkid
Huked on fonix werx!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those that use God for their own profit will answer to Him. Count on it.

What about those gullible enough to send this "church" money; they may have also made other arrangements for the end of the world, including stopping medications, payment on houses and bills, etc.

Unread 05-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
saywhatkid
Huked on fonix werx!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What does "Family Radio" have planned for tomorrow's programming? Are they going to use the civil defense warning?

Unread 05-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Loghead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So "God" wants to wreak havoc on the world in order to celebrate his son's "second coming"? Sounds like something I want to believe in!
Unread 05-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
rockin'robin

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
This was our dinner conversation also....one of my sons said that his teacher "discussed" it in class.....He asked me if I knew about "the Rapture"?.....I replied, "yes, I read about it....guess I'm realllly gonna die this Tuesday."...He quipped..."NO, maybe tomorrow...anyway, I'll be over at my friends house...so I bet you guys are gonna be too scared to go to sleep."
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
deafskeptic
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's time to sell this church's stock!

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 169 Times in 81 Posts
The Rapture isn't about anyone dying.

In the Rapture, believers will be taken up (alive) to Heaven. Non-believers will be left on the earth.

The Rapture and Jesus's second coming are not the same event. They don't happen at the same time.
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
StSapphire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though for anyone confused, I had to explain this to people on facebook:

1) Jesus: is not the same as Raptor Jesus:

2) Tomorrow is supposed to be the Rapture: for Jesus Jesus.

3) Therefore, tomorrow is not the Raptor Rapture. And as everyone knows, the Raptor Rapture is a hell of a lot scarier than some namby pamby Jesus Rapture. Jesus doesn't have talons that will eviscerate you in 2 seconds flat.
Unread 05-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
deafironchef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafironchef Send a message via MSN to deafironchef Send a message via Yahoo to deafironchef
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhatkid View Post
Those that use God for their own profit will answer to Him. Count on it.

What about those gullible enough to send this "church" money; they may have also made other arrangements for the end of the world, including stopping medications, payment on houses and bills, etc.

i am not use God , God use us !

take a look

Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Unread 05-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
saywhatkid
Huked on fonix werx!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafironchef View Post
i am not use God , God use us !

take a look

Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
I did not point at you. I point at this "church" that has declared this Rapture date. They are trying to gain publicity by doing this. That publicity will likely increase donations.

Unread 05-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
SJCSue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafironchef View Post
I have been thinking a lot about this verse lately.
Unread 05-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhatkid View Post
I did not point at you. I point at this "church" that has declared this Rapture date. They are trying to gain publicity by doing this. That publicity will likely increase donations.

Some people giving up their life savings and etc to the churches. I have seen this before in the past in small town churches when preachers claim such. I think it should be totally under fraud. Making people believe something will happen on a specific time or date for their personal profit and gain.

This preacher did it twice before, and yet his followers still believe him?? Discusting!!! July 2008 and he did before in 1994.
Unread 05-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
saywhatkid
Huked on fonix werx!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Some people giving up their life savings and etc to the churches. I have seen this before in the past in small town churches when preachers claim such. I think it should be totally under fraud. Making people believe something will happen on a specific time or date for their personal profit and gain.

This preacher did it twice before, and yet his followers still believe him?? Discusting!!! July 2008 and he did before in 1994.
They will pay...

Unread 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the rapture does not come today or to October, will those people considering committed suicide alike heavenly gate cult people did years ago?
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Yep. People signed over all their wordly goods and followed Jim Jones to Guyanna. Just saying.
Unread 05-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
If the rapture does not come today or to October, will those people considering committed suicide alike heavenly gate cult people did years ago?
Its possible.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:

Yeah, I completely don't get it. This guy has no credibility, yet people still pay attention to him.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #18
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I hope not.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StSapphire View Post
Though for anyone confused, I had to explain this to people on facebook:

1) Jesus:

2) Tomorrow is supposed to be the Rapture: for Jesus Jesus.

3) Therefore, tomorrow is not the Raptor Rapture. And as everyone knows, the Raptor Rapture is a hell of a lot scarier than some namby pamby Jesus Rapture. Jesus doesn't have talons that will eviscerate you in 2 seconds flat.
It's a good thing that you mock only the Christian God. We don't react violently to such mockery. If you did such things to Muslims they'd order a death sentence for you.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Loghead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reba View Post
It's a good thing that you mock only the Christian God. We don't react violently to such mockery. If you did such things to Muslims they'd order a death sentence for you.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loghead View Post
Guess someone missed some of the cartoons about the Muslims and their beliefs that have been going around for several years.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Guess someone missed some of the cartoons about the Muslims and their beliefs that have been going around for several years.
Is there a post in this thread mocking Mohammad? If there is, then you're right, somehow I missed it.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Is there a post in this thread mocking Mohammad? If there is, then you're right, somehow I missed it.
Good. No need to get you riled.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #24
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pet sitting offered during Rapture - Local News - Indianapolis, IN - msnbc.com

Don't worry about those cats and dogs, folks! Help is available.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Did someone claim there was a post in this thread mocking Mohammad?
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
Did someone claim there was a post in this thread mocking Mohammad?
Well, this is the thread in which we are posting, and the post that I referred to is in this thread.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Well, this is the thread in which we are posting, and the post that I referred to is in this thread.
And?
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #28
Reba
Retired Terp

Quote:
And?
And? Other threads are irrelevant to what's posted in this thread.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
And? Other threads are irrelevant to what's posted in this thread.
I don't think anyone mentioned other threads, either. I am going under the assumption that most people read things and access information in places other than AD. Maybe they don't.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #30
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I hope not.
Me too.