Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
The Homeless

What can we do as individuals to help the homeless? It is a issue I have been working on for the past month and will be one area of focus for my new non-profit venture. Looking for creative ideas that any of you might have.

I will post some of the things I have been working on later in the thread.
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
What can we do as individuals to help the homeless? It is a issue I have been working on for the past month and will be one area of focus for my new non-profit venture. Looking for creative ideas that any of you might have.

We would need to figure out why they are homeless.

-Battered women. They tend to have to either choose between living in a secure place with issues, or be homeless.

-People who just feel like they have no chance - they just decide to be homeless because they have "no chance" in employment. Could be a cause of their upbringing.

-Addiction. I met a deaf guy in Vegas two weeks ago. He mentioned he played poker with me and that I showed him the exit to the tournament once some time ago. I don't remember him but he lives in Vegas, homeless, mooches SSDI, and loves gambling.

-People who just foreclosed (a spike of recent)...

I would put more focus on battered women. Give them easy way out, set them up with security. Security = jobs, housing, a foundation for them to stand on so they're whole and good. That way they're not homeless, and doing the things women were asking me for in Vegas....
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
souggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some prefer the stress of finding a warm place to sleep and when their next meal will be over being binded to a contract of apartment-dwelling or home ownership. Apparently it's a different kind of stress.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souggy View Post
Some prefer the stress of finding a warm place to sleep and when their next meal will be over being binded to a contract of apartment-dwelling or home ownership. Apparently it's a different kind of stress.
I am one of these. Don't like to be leashed.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:

simple - talk to them.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
We would need to figure out why they are homeless.

-Battered women. They tend to have to either choose between living in a secure place with issues, or be homeless.

-People who just feel like they have no chance - they just decide to be homeless because they have "no chance" in employment. Could be a cause of their upbringing.

-Addiction. I met a deaf guy in Vegas two weeks ago. He mentioned he played poker with me and that I showed him the exit to the tournament once some time ago. I don't remember him but he lives in Vegas, homeless, mooches SSDI, and loves gambling.

-People who just foreclosed (a spike of recent)...

I would put more focus on battered women. Give them easy way out, set them up with security. Security = jobs, housing, a foundation for them to stand on so they're whole and good. That way they're not homeless, and doing the things women were asking me for in Vegas....
Quote:
No doubt the larger problem is beyond my intellect..

I am seeking to do the small things like get them clothed and fed and perhaps help those who are interested to find work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
simple - talk to them.
Been doing that for a month.... I figure since ADers come from all over perhaps they have heard of things that have been sucessful in their area that haven't been tried in mine.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
souggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
No doubt the larger problem is beyond my intellect..

I am seeking to do the small things like get them clothed and fed and perhaps help those who are interested to find work

Been doing that for a month.... I figure since ADers come from all over perhaps they have heard of things that have been sucessful in their area that haven't been tried in mine.
Capsule hotels like in Japan.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
rockin'robin

Liked 99 Times in 61 Posts
Good thread...I've never known of a homeless deafie, never seen one either...but I do know of a couple that works at the Homeless Shelter here in Jacksonville. I'm gonna ask some Q's and hoping for some A's as well and will get back to this thread.
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
Good thread...I've never known of a homeless deafie, never seen one either...but I do know of a couple that works at the Homeless Shelter here in Jacksonville. I'm gonna ask some Q's and hoping for some A's as well and will get back to this thread.
There's a lot. I bump into them regularly.
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
authentic

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Most homeless people are alcoholism.

Send them to Alcoholic Rehabilitation Program for free with Government assistance?!
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post

Send them to Alcoholic Rehabilitation Program for free with Government assistance?!
Not true. The rate of alcoholism among the homeless are the same as the rest of the population. However, I agree that federal assistance should be given those willing to get help with drugs/alcohol problems AND counseling. I was homeless for over a year and it was so difficult to get back on my feet.
What I would do, TxGolfer, is to create a place where the homeless could attend for lunch (and to share their experience and ideas), and somehow have mental health professionals be there, if at least for referral. I got back on my feet only after several counseling sessions to get the right frame of mind to take action to get out of my rut.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Those are few and far between, and the vast majority will be diagnosed with a mental illness for which treatment is not available to them.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The fastest growing population of homeless people is families with children. Why? Job loss. Foreclosure. Eviction.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Not true. The rate of alcoholism among the homeless are the same as the rest of the population. However, I agree that federal assistance should be given those willing to get help with drugs/alcohol problems AND counseling. I was homeless for over a year and it was so difficult to get back on my feet.
What I would do, TxGolfer, is to create a place where the homeless could attend for lunch (and to share their experience and ideas), and somehow have mental health professionals be there, if at least for referral. I got back on my feet only after several counseling sessions to get the right frame of mind to take action to get out of my rut.
Excellent suggestion.

And the sad fact is there are very few places where an indigent person can receive mental health care. That is a huge issue.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The fastest growing population of homeless people is families with children. Why? Job loss. Foreclosure. Eviction.
I lived in major cities in the past, most homeless people won't accept my food offer. They wanted money, and we all know where that person is going to...liquor store.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
wolfbluedeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to lived in homeless there are all hearing and i am only one deaf.. but where is deaf homeless but need new building for deaf homeless.. i dont know if true or not true..
wolfbluedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I lived in major cities in the past, most homeless people won't accept my food offer. They wanted money, and we all know where that person is going to...liquor store.
You really have some mistaken ideas about the homeless population in America.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
authentic

Quote:
You really have some mistaken ideas about the homeless population in America.
if you say so.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
if you say so.
Absolutely. Would you like it if someone said all deaf people are lazy and don't want to work?
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jillio's right.
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
Jillio's right.
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
souggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Those are few and far between, and the vast majority will be diagnosed with a mental illness for which treatment is not available to them.
I wouldn't say they're few and far between, more like for such a situation to exist: one would have to be in a climate where it's reasonable to lead such a life based on free choice. If you're in a country where you're freezing your ass off six months a year, good luck. Also, most of these people who choose this are usually young males who haven't met a significant other yet. So there's a bias.
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't say they're few and far between, more like for such a situation to exist: one would have to be in a climate where it's reasonable to lead such a life based on free choice. If you're in a country where you're freezing your ass off six months a year, good luck. Also, most of these people who choose this are usually young males who haven't met a significant other yet. So there's a bias.
Correct. But there are those that still make that decision without those variables in place. Generally, it is due to the fact that an illness interferes with them making good choices regarding their best interests.
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel the need to add this because I saw a couple of posts where the homeless were basically dehumanized.

The first and foremost thing to realize is that you need to treat the individual as a human that is simply experiencing some very real human problems that they may bear no responsibility for at all. They are not bad people, they are not people who choose not to work, or take on responsibility. They are people just as everyone is. Part of the problem with the lack of services for the homeless is that people generally assume that they are lazy, or alcoholics that like the way they live, etc. etc.

This is a case in point where "There but for the grace of God, go I." needs to be the first thought in your head.
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post

I like your idea alot. As I posted in another thread I am working on a food for trash idea where city cafes would provide a meals to those that helped clean up the streets. I think it helps the city and enviroment while giving a good meal to someone in need. Like jillio said these people are human beings just like us. Many have too much pride to take a handout but might do something like this. Plus earning something might help give them something to feel better about. I may try to approach the graffiti problem the same way.

But I like your idea too....kind of a summit.

Real coincidence today....I went to Safeway in Foster City (where I live) to get some things to hand out and Jackie Speier (congresswoman) was there doing a similar event to Gabby's. She came up and gave me a bag for a food bank drive. we had a short chat and exchanged emails. How wierd is that?
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a cool event. I'm going to have to mention Food for Trash around here. Another idea is a community garden. The city I live in started one last spring on a lot where a building had been torn down. Lowe's donated seedlings for tomatoes and other vegetables.
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #27
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
You don't really know that for sure. Maybe they are like the rest of us and would like to have choices. Being homeless isn't something most would choose to do, but that doesn't mean the homeless must give up more choices and control over their lives than they already have.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
Miss-Delectable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afraid that I don't know much about the homeless.

They're like invisible during the day in the city and a lot comes out when it gets dark.

I've heard of charities having trucks going out at night handing out blankets and serving them hot food. They have people come out to chat with the homeless especially the youths.

I think if one of the focus is helping homeless women and kids is a good idea considering the deep cuts imposed on funding for women's shelters in CA.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #29
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Delectable View Post
I'm afraid that I don't know much about the homeless.

They're like invisible during the day in the city and a lot comes out when it gets dark.

I've heard of charities having trucks going out at night handing out blankets and serving them hot food. They have people come out to chat with the homeless especially the youths.

I think if one of the focus is helping homeless women and kids is a good idea considering the deep cuts imposed on funding for women's shelters in CA.
you are in for a shock when you get here then. 100s of them out during the day. The are pretty quiet though and I never felt threatened around them.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #30
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
you are in for a shock when you get here then. 100s of them out during the day. The are pretty quiet though and I never felt threatened around them.
It's funny. Boulder came about making an ordinance against the homeless - making it illegal for them to be sleeping anywhere, or even peddling.

The homeless came out and my goodness there was like thousands of them protesting by sleeping on the courthouse front lawn.

The bill was suddenly dropped.