AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
dhn121
Registered User
 
dhn121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hearing aids squeaks because of volume?

Have anyone heard of that?

My son got his hearing aids turned up 10db maybe 3 weeks ago. I've been having problems with his hearing aids before because the ear mold cracked. She replaced it. Today I went in to see her, to get the attachment for the FM system (she ordered or Phonak sent the wrong part) and told her that my son's ear mold is making a lot of noise. She said it might be due to the fact that it's turned up too loud. Really? it's the feedback/squeaking sound, not voices. Have anyone had this problem? I don't get it. We got super hearing aids but you can't turn it up? We're coming back Friday to get both problems fixed. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone have heard of this?

I'm still so new at this and there's so much to learn...
dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 41,069
Blog Entries: 1
Likes: 55
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Kids grow really fast. His mold might be too loose.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,246
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, maybe time for a new earmold. It happens to me when growing up. It screeches and gives annoying feedback when I smile or something.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
dhn121
Registered User
 
dhn121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no...these are new ear molds. It takes 2 weeks to make/mail (she got them to mail it directly to me). We got them 3 days ago. They squeak from day 1.
dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 41,069
Blog Entries: 1
Likes: 55
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
no...these are new ear molds. It takes 2 weeks to make/mail (she got them to mail it directly to me). We got them 3 days ago. They squeak from day 1.
She should remake them. Loose molds are why you get feedback.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
RoseRodent
Registered User
 
RoseRodent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
She should remake them. Loose molds are why you get feedback.
The moulds may have been ordered wrong, made wrong, damaged, or ordered with the previous volume of hte hearing aids in mind. When you turn the hearing aid up sometimes that means you need to make a mould with a smaller vent (if applicable), longer horn or softer material to make a tighter fit. The new mould may have worked with the old volume setting but not with this one, but it is because the mould is a bad match for the power not that the hearing aid is too loud!!
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
MCB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rose, you are an excellent addition to AllDeaf forums. Your knowledge, and ability to communicate it are excellent.
MCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
RoseRodent
Registered User
 
RoseRodent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB View Post
Rose, you are an excellent addition to AllDeaf forums. Your knowledge, and ability to communicate it are excellent.
Aw thanks.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
faire_jour
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

yeah, it's an earmold issue. If the mold seals the ear you can't get feedback. BUT the higher it is set, the more likely you will hear the feedback, and the more often it will happen.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
CSign
Registered User
 
CSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best Coast, USA
Posts: 3,283
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It also could be that since they are new earmolds, they are not fitting properly in the ear canal. New molds can be a tighter fit than the ones that were outgrown. As a result, the ear mold may not be in all the way. When my son was younger, I'd put the ear canal part in first, then twist it up to the top part of the ear. Oto ease may help get it in if you're still having a hard time. It's a lubricant type substance.
CSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 41,069
Blog Entries: 1
Likes: 55
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSign View Post
It also could be that since they are new earmolds, they are not fitting properly in the ear canal. New molds can be a tighter fit than the ones that were outgrown. As a result, the ear mold may not be in all the way. When my son was younger, I'd put the ear canal part in first, then twist it up to the top part of the ear. Oto ease may help get it in if you're still having a hard time. It's a lubricant type substance.
Good point too, I tend to forget that it takes time to learn.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Sarfarigirl2011
Registered User
 
Sarfarigirl2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,605
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the earmolds are pretty loose there girl!
I may need new earmolds when they're old like everyone here LOL
__________________
19 yr old girl with a moderate to moderately severe and also a moderately severe/severe hearing loss
now wearing a black Oticon Nera in L ear and purple Oticon Safari 600 P in R ear til I get a black one for that side in January
Sarfarigirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,246
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's also possible. bad piece of earmold and should be remade. That happened to me before.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
whatdidyousay!
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 18,586
Likes: 133
Liked 83 Times in 67 Posts
If our son lost any weight that would made his earmolds too lose. did you check to see if the tubing is ok, maybe the earmolds is not all the way in the ear? I had a tiny crack in my HA and that cause me get fed back.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
dhn121
Registered User
 
dhn121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are new ear molds...just got them a few days ago.

his hearing loss is pretty bad. So there are no vents at all in his. When I told her about it. She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, I put them on wrong. Because she told me the helix are thiicker this time and I have to be more careful when putting them on. I thought...ok. maybe I did it wrong. I don't know. Took 3 steps and I heard it go off. She put them in, so I figure, surely she can't say they're put on wrong that's why they're going off. We walked back in and that's when she told me it's because we turned the volume of his hearing aids up that causes this.

I think I just need a new AuD. ordered the wrong reciever for the FM. 5 ear molds in 6 months. can't get a good audiogram (I have to go to my ENT to get the hearing test done).
dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
BecLak
Registered User
 
BecLak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,265
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
no...these are new ear molds. It takes 2 weeks to make/mail (she got them to mail it directly to me). We got them 3 days ago. They squeak from day 1.
A squeaking or squealing noise is usually the sign of an ill-fit or that they are not in his ear correctly. It usually happens when the aid gets bumped out of place or something like that.
__________________
Severely deaf from birth.
Deaf with a Purpose. God designed me this way so I do everything by God's Grace.

Exodus 4:11 Ignorance is no longer bliss. Be Educated.

KEEP IN STEP WITH ME: Sign Text Email Pen and Paper
BecLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
natty_4ever
Registered User
 
natty_4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with everyone else. It sounds like a bad fit--yes, I know you said that they're brand new. When I first got my current hearing aids, I kept getting feedback too. They molded to my ear just fine, the issue was that they would not STAY in. Basically they kept sliding out. What my audiologist did was get another mold of my ear and ordered a clear piece that she attached onto the original mold to help it stay in my ear. I have a different type of mold though, so I don't think your audi can do that for you.

Because your son is wearing a full mold (I'm assuming) that fills the outside of his ear, maybe it's something with his ear canal. I have a somewhat small canal, and sometimes my hearing aids wouldn't stay in when I was younger.

Also, I don't think turning up your hearing aid would make it have feedback. Never heard of that before!
natty_4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
whatdidyousay!
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 18,586
Likes: 133
Liked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
These are new ear molds...just got them a few days ago.

his hearing loss is pretty bad. So there are no vents at all in his. When I told her about it. She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, I put them on wrong. Because she told me the helix are thiicker this time and I have to be more careful when putting them on. I thought...ok. maybe I did it wrong. I don't know. Took 3 steps and I heard it go off. She put them in, so I figure, surely she can't say they're put on wrong that's why they're going off. We walked back in and that's when she told me it's because we turned the volume of his hearing aids up that causes this.

I think I just need a new AuD. ordered the wrong reciever for the FM. 5 ear molds in 6 months. can't get a good audiogram (I have to go to my ENT to get the hearing test done).
"She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, " WTF just because the AuD didn't hear any feed back that does not
mean you are wrong! I think you should find a new AuD , the old Audu does not sound very bright to made a statement like that! When I told my AuD my HA was driving people crazy as it feed backing a lot , my AuD did something about it!
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
dhn121
Registered User
 
dhn121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went in today to get the feedback issue resolved. She told me the button for feedback reduction was somehow not activated? So I asked shouldn't that be automatic? Who wants feedback? She went on to a different subject. But maybe I'm not understanding all of this since I"m new to hearing aids. But why would that even be an option? Shouldn't the "whistleblock" be automatic and not an option? What are the reason why anyone would want to have that not checked?

anyways...was search to see if what she said about having the volume up too high might be a reason for feedback and found this to be interesting:

Feedback in hearing aids

There are a few things that can increase the chances of a hearing aid producing feedback:

The volume – The higher the aid’s volume is set, the louder the sound coming out of the speaker is. Louder sounds can travel further – increasing the chance of them feeding back into the microphone.

What can you do to reduce feedback?
Turning the volume down is an obvious solution...

Anyways she ran somekind of test with the loopthing around my son's neck for a few minutes and made some minor adjustments. No more noise/feedback. Hope she didn't turn down the volume
dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
dhn121
Registered User
 
dhn121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
"She first said "I don't hear it". I walked out of the office thinking, well maybe it's me, " WTF just because the AuD didn't hear any feed back that does not
mean you are wrong! I think you should find a new AuD , the old Audu does not sound very bright to made a statement like that! When I told my AuD my HA was driving people crazy as it feed backing a lot , my AuD did something about it!

I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?
dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
LoveBlue
Registered User
 
LoveBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,581
Likes: 29
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?
I can hear feedback, but I'm sure what I hear is not as loud as what others hear...because of my severe-profound hearing loss. Recently I took my HAs off and put them in my "holder" on the nightstand. A little while longer my daughter and her friend came in looking for something. It took a minute or two till they realized the sound they were looking for was my HA giving of feedback. Apparently the battery door closed when I put it in the "holder". I did not hear the feedback at all.
__________________
Severe-to-profound hearing loss in both ears.
SD @ 100db L-88% / R-96% - unaided
Phonak Naida IX UPs
LoveBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #22
plasticdinosaur
Registered User
 
plasticdinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: IUB
Posts: 167
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
I guess I'm new to all of this and don't really know what is "normal".

BTW, can you hear feedback or is only the people around you that hears it? I was telling her how terrible I feel everytime I go to give him a hug or kiss and his hearing aids makes that noise. I have a girlfriend with an older child who tells me her son tells her he can't hear it? Seems kind of strange since it's right in your ear, no?
I can hear it because I have a reverse slope loss, where most of my loss is in the lows and my high ranges are almost at normal hearing levels. As far as whistle block goes, if he's wearing Phonak like I always have, then whistleblock should have been run after his fitting and before she did the test to find his loudest comfortable noise level, which she may not have done on a baby who can't tell her the noise is too loud. It should have been done though, every time at every fitting. My audi ran it several times at my last appointment. So it's really silly that she never ran it at all.
plasticdinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
RoseRodent
Registered User
 
RoseRodent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBlue View Post
I can hear feedback, but I'm sure what I hear is not as loud as what others hear...because of my severe-profound hearing loss. Recently I took my HAs off and put them in my "holder" on the nightstand. A little while longer my daughter and her friend came in looking for something. It took a minute or two till they realized the sound they were looking for was my HA giving of feedback. Apparently the battery door closed when I put it in the "holder". I did not hear the feedback at all.
This happened to me when I was in hospital, only instead of saying something right away the girl in teh next bed for some reason let it run all night long and annoy her for hours, till the next night I was getting changed for bed and all snotty she says "And this time make sure you turn your hearing aids off, they kept me awake all night long" and I said oh I'm sorry but I can't hear it, so she's going "Well, obviously, but be a bit careful" and I couldn't believe she wouldn't just come over and tap me and say sorry but you left your hearing aid on by accident, I'd have put it off! Or even if she didn't want to wake me surely she could have taken the box out of the room to the nurses' station and left a note, I had piles of paper and pens right there next to the offending hearing aid.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #24
Fl885
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are several reasons for annoying feedback:
1- The mold: as everyone else said, there could be many reasons for the mold to gives feedback, in my case of it was not fit right or there is venting somewhere it will give noise, the hard mold was not good for me, I had to get the softer silicone, new mold has 60 days return on them as far as I know, discuss it with your audi
2- the tubing that connect the hearing aid with the mold: this tube would always get close to my ear lobe of skin, the heat from my body would make it hard, if the this tube gets harder and harder your kid will hear less than before, he won't be able to tell you this, plus it may give feedback, so keep an eye on this tube and touch it and see if it's harder, it should be soft, I used to change it once every 2-3 months, I would never stay over 3 months with it, it gets so hard, it took me long time to find out that I hear less with it when it hard
3- ear wax: if there is dirt or ear wax in the out ear, this could give some feedback
4- the hearing aid itself: program is too high or something, it should be adjusted to give much less feedback or even avoid it
I found out that the audi plays big role on how to solve problems like this, I strongly recommend you to watch this audi and if you keep getting problem change her or him, your kid will have this problem (hearing loss, hearing aids) for long time, he deserves the best audi, try to get the best one, you will not know until you try few of them even if you have to drive 50 miles or so to them, a good audi is worth every mile
Fl885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #25
overthepond
Registered User
 
overthepond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 2,079
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having 110db loss i wear naida in one ear (CI in other) the audi had maxed it out completely and said to me that it might give alot of feedbacks, they also gave me new mould which is arylic (sp) and quite stiff mold, I got constant feedback until i switched back to my old mold which is silicone and softer, I haven't had feed back since. I have now got small problem, the national health service had stopped making silicone molds because it's too expensive (sighs) I have told them that I am prepared to buy them myself. Sometimes we need to go the extra mile to get what we need.

Also hugging people is common problem, I have friends who are deaf and wears HAs. my CI is on my hugging side, I could hear their HA feeding back, it's just slight movement of the mold and HA.

The thickness of tubing is also a factor, the thicker of tube the less the sound escapes, every time i get new mold the tube were very soft and thin, i have bag of tubes at home which is thicker and more rigid but not hard.

Things you should look out for in the future, when the tube gets old it becomes hard, splits, there might be a hole in the middle (at the mouth of the outer mold) the colouring of tube (usually yellow) and the tube seperates from the mold quite often (they should not come out easily when new) this is when the tube needs replacing.
overthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
ljjehl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 216
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthepond View Post
Having 110db loss i wear naida in one ear (CI in other) the audi had maxed it out completely and said to me that it might give alot of feedbacks, they also gave me new mould which is arylic (sp) and quite stiff mold, I got constant feedback until i switched back to my old mold which is silicone and softer, I haven't had feed back since. I have now got small problem, the national health service had stopped making silicone molds because it's too expensive (sighs) I have told them that I am prepared to buy them myself. Sometimes we need to go the extra mile to get what we need.

Also hugging people is common problem, I have friends who are deaf and wears HAs. my CI is on my hugging side, I could hear their HA feeding back, it's just slight movement of the mold and HA.

The thickness of tubing is also a factor, the thicker of tube the less the sound escapes, every time i get new mold the tube were very soft and thin, i have bag of tubes at home which is thicker and more rigid but not hard.

Things you should look out for in the future, when the tube gets old it becomes hard, splits, there might be a hole in the middle (at the mouth of the outer mold) the colouring of tube (usually yellow) and the tube seperates from the mold quite often (they should not come out easily when new) this is when the tube needs replacing.
I recently had a tubing that cracked at the outer base of the earmold, because of the way it was formed before it entered the mold. It formed a crack, I was always getting feedback, I couldn't see it until looking under a bright light. I bent the tube out and found the crack in the crease of the tubing. This was a brand new tubing, so it doesn't have to be old to be a problem....
ljjehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #27
guyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn121 View Post
Have anyone heard of that?

My son got his hearing aids turned up 10db maybe 3 weeks ago. I've been having problems with his hearing aids before because the ear mold cracked. She replaced it. Today I went in to see her, to get the attachment for the FM system (she ordered or Phonak sent the wrong part) and told her that my son's ear mold is making a lot of noise. She said it might be due to the fact that it's turned up too loud. Really? it's the feedback/squeaking sound, not voices. Have anyone had this problem? I don't get it. We got super hearing aids but you can't turn it up? We're coming back Friday to get both problems fixed. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone have heard of this?

I'm still so new at this and there's so much to learn...

You might want to think about getting a second opinion. But it probably is a cracked ear mold.


____________________________
My hearing aids reviews
guyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.