AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
lindsayf26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Way to get CC with BLue Ray/Netflix Streaming?

We just bought a blue ray player for the express purpose of being able to stream netflix videos and after trying to figure out how to get the closed captions on, and doing some internet research, I'm coming to a sinking conclusion that netflix streamed movies do not have captions??????!!!!!!! Is this really possible??? If so, that really sucks. I wear hearing aids but I have to have to captioning to follow anything on tv.

Is there any way around this??? I have been searching all night online and apparently if you have an Xbox or Playstation you can access captions, but not a Blue Ray player?? Can anyone give me any information??

Seriously aggratvated!!
lindsayf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
ncmacasl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ncmacasl Send a message via Yahoo to ncmacasl
only web-enabled Blu-Ray player with Netflix subtitles is the Sony Blu-Ray with Google TV (this is rumored - I have not seen pics from a blu-ray,but haveon other googleTV devices)
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
SneakerNet
My IQ: 12

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In Netflix, not all are CC. Netflix are currently working on expanding more CC embedded to the movies.

There's a website that will show which will have CC ready and it will give a list of when next movies will have CC. It's a nice website.

phlixie.
SneakerNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New released movies with cc???
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
S0rceress0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy57 View Post
New released movies with cc???
There are many brand new movies on Netflix which do not have cc.
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0rceress0 View Post
Really??
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
qwerty123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayf26 View Post
We just bought a blue ray player for the express purpose of being able to stream netflix videos and after trying to figure out how to get the closed captions on, and doing some internet research, I'm coming to a sinking conclusion that netflix streamed movies do not have captions??????!!!!!!! Is this really possible??? If so, that really sucks. I wear hearing aids but I have to have to captioning to follow anything on tv.

Is there any way around this??? I have been searching all night online and apparently if you have an Xbox or Playstation you can access captions, but not a Blue Ray player?? Can anyone give me any information??

Seriously aggratvated!!
all streaming video from netflix to rokbox are not cc

they know and ignore you file complaint to fcc
qwerty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
lindsayf26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you file a complaint? This is the 2nd situation I've found myself in in the last couple months where suddenly a whole chunk of entertainment is no longer available to me. I know that netflix new releases hardly ever seem to have the caption option anymore since the companies release "bare bones" dvds to netflix and the like. Netflix does have a list of "watch instantly" titles with captions, but apparently that doesn't work with this blu ray player.

Pretty dispointing.
lindsayf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
AdventureRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Seriously aggratvated!!
To echo your disappointment....."ME too!" I just purchased a Samsung Blue/Ray player that has a build in WiFi, etc.etc. Is also Streaming Movie ready with the likes of Netlfix, Blockbuster, Vutu..etc.

To my dismay I cannot get cc or subtitles on English speaking movies of any kind except foreign films; even if an English word is spoken, it remains mum!

I am talking about TV, NOT PC's...

So, where's the beef about Netflix working on it or what.

There's no provision for accessing on screen input of cc or subtitles on the TV for that particular movie.

Maybe...NCMACASL, who seems to be a bit more versed in these matters can you please chime in!!

Thank you..

Elmer in Winnabow, NC

Last edited by AdventureRider; 03-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
S0rceress0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I am talking about TV, NOT PC's..."
- I must be confused about how Netflix programming works. I thought Netflix streamed through the pc to the player to the television.
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
AdventureRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's OK to be confused. With Netflix, one can either watch their movies via PC or TV. By PC(Laptop) it's streamed to it via WiFi from the router you have next to your desktop PC. From the desktop PC it is directly shown via hardwire; cable, coax, ethernet...!

BlueRay: you need a build in WiFi or have it hardwired to your existing router which will then stream the movies to your TV. BUT...CC's forget it!! Only Foreign subtitled films are viewable.
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
S0rceress0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post
It's OK to be confused. With Netflix, one can either watch their movies via PC or TV. By PC(Laptop) it's streamed to it via WiFi from the router you have next to your desktop PC. From the desktop PC it is directly shown via hardwire; cable, coax, ethernet...!

BlueRay: you need a build in WiFi or have it hardwired to your existing router which will then stream the movies to your TV. BUT...CC's forget it!! Only Foreign subtitled films are viewable.
So it displays differently via the player than it does on the pc? I can search from my pc for films with cc available on Netflix.
Unread 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
AdventureRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct....but these films with CC will not show up on yout TV/Blue Ray player, only on your PC's as there is a provision made for the user to activate CC, while the TV/B.Ray has yet to have such feature....

Complain tothe FCC

1) TV with B/Ray....no way of turning on CC. EVEN if you try to view the film in #3 :

2) Desktop PC or Laptop PC:....a bit blurry but see here this is a Netflix stream download with no provision to activate any CC. Look at the bottom column...

Desktop PC or LaptopPC
3) This is another Netflix stream download that has provisions for turning on the CC.

Unread 03-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
S0rceress0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm glad to know that in advance. I can drop the idea of hooking the blue-ray up to the new monitor that's coming and putting up netflix that way. I'm not Deaf but I do use cc at certain times. Che and I will just have to keep watching movies from the computer.
Thanks for the info!
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
deafaussie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Seriously aggratvated!!
Sorry to hear that. Netflix had made a public announcement stating that they only have about 30%(cant recall) are streaming CC and are working on to reach at least 80% goal at the end of this year. I consider this a good news for all of us. See Link Here

As for the hardware. Please be warned that NOT ALL hardware can support streaming videos with CC in it. Quote "Subtitles are supported on PCs and Macs, Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3, GoogleTV, and the Boxee Box. We expect that Roku and Xbox 360 will support subtitles later this year. Most new Netflix ready devices released this summer or later will support subtitles"

Thats the reason I got a Google TV box from DISH at heavily discounted price. I believe its called Logitech Revue.

As for your Blu Ray player. It is likely not compatible at this time.
deafaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #16
edlmct

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto. The rest of the family can download and watch/stream from netflix anywhere in the house, but I need closed caption to fully enjoy most movies. I wrote netflix and they gave me the same lame excuses. I want to watch in high def and have small closed caption/subtitles and I don't think that is too much too ask in the current age. I am canning the dvd delivery from netflix and going back to blockbuster where I can rent dvd blueray discs and enjoy movies. Once again, I feel like the hearing impaired are punished with extra fees just to get subtitles. On a positive note, I TIVO movies in high def with closed caption and watch em later and that has worked out well.
edlmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
bblondie5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Closed Caption

Who would have thought that we go back into time to the 1980s when we all having to buy "Closed Caption Decoders" to have CC access for streaming video. Netflix has streaming videos with CC if you have the gaming consoles listed at their website.. but will not work on their Netflix APPs alone via the HDTV or BluRays.

Do you have HDTV and an old PC/laptop running Windows XP or newer in your closet? If so... you have the closed caption "decoder" costing you nothing to have steaming CC video to your HDTV... just hook the PC to your HDTV for your monitor. Just buy for about $2 an Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs and hook from your PC to your HDTV to have sound coming out of the HDTV.

No game consoles to buy to stream from Netflix CC. Netflix does have an improved library of streaming CC via game consoles. Blockbuster doesnt have any streaming CC as I checked with their HELP section and saw that wasnt available still. Dont know if CC worksstreaming to the PC.. so any that has that info.. do share.

Today's newest toy.. SMARTTV!!! Costing $$$$..
The new feature on the HDTV that they call "SmartTV" is the web access. You already own a SMARTTV with your new hookup right from your closet!
bblondie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
phoenixjules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all Smart TVs support Netflix closed captioning

I just purchased a Vizio 1080p Smart television. Although I can stream Netflix the television DOES NOT support closed captioning like my Wii does.
phoenixjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
PowerON

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0rceress0 View Post
No, it's more like, many sucks movies....
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Eighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To let android user know that netflix finally updated their app, now it supports subtitle feature.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
CrazyPaul

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:

Seriously aggratvated!!
I know that the original post is a little old but have you found out that HDMI doesn't carry CC if you connected your BD player and HDTV that way?

Last month Netflix announced that it expects to lose money for all of 2012 and it still owes over $3.5 billions to the movie studios under contract. The company is now looking for more investors to help the business.

Regarding to CC on Netflix streaming movies, NAD Files Disability Civil Rights Lawsuit against Netflix | National Association of the Deaf

So if I were you, I'd cancel the membership immediately. It's not worth it.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
pjboling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Captions for Samsung C series TVs

I have a Samsung LN46C670 and it has Netflix as one of the apps. However, after going back and forth between Samsung and Netflix, I found out that Netflix has not written an app that is compatible with the LN46C670 for captions and several other Samsung models and they have no plans to write one. I bought this tv because it has a great pictue AND that it has the Netflix app. My wife is hearing impaired and requires the captions to watch any tv shows. Have I spent around $1000 for nothing? Netflix, when are you going to support all devices with the Netflix app? Why would you write an app for a device and not provides updates to adequately use it?
pjboling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #23
SteveMcGarrett
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CC doesnt work on my PS3 system. I tried it my TV wont allow CC from my PS3 system. Theres no way around it making CC work on my TV from my PS3 system.
SteveMcGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
CrazyPaul

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcGarrett View Post
CC doesnt work on my PS3 system. I tried it my TV wont allow CC from my PS3 system. Theres no way around it making CC work on my TV from my PS3 system.
Are you talking about Netflix subtitles on streaming videos?

If so, it should work. http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...mazon-etc.html PS3 is one of the devices that have an ability to show Netflix subtitles.

However if you were talking about CC (Closed Captioned), it's not available.
Unread 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
SteveMcGarrett
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Are you talking about Netflix subtitles on streaming videos?

If so, it should work. http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...mazon-etc.html PS3 is one of the devices that have an ability to show Netflix subtitles.

However if you were talking about CC (Closed Captioned), it's not available.
Right,,, But when you go into Netflix on your PS3 System NOT ALL MOVIES ARE IN SUBTITLES! Thats where i want the law to be enforced,,, All Movies!!! Including in theaters too. Like Captioning can be seen during hours of 11AM to 3PM in all theaters all movies. So that way if the customer doesnt want captioning come after 3PM.
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
CrazyPaul

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Right,,, But when you go into Netflix on your PS3 System NOT ALL MOVIES ARE IN SUBTITLES! Thats where i want the law to be enforced,,, All Movies!!! Including in theaters too. Like Captioning can be seen during hours of 11AM to 3PM in all theaters all movies. So that way if the customer doesnt want captioning come after 3PM.
Yeah, right but like I said before in my other post somewhere, Netflix is starting to add its own subtitles to the streaming movies. The company said it takes time. Right now I think maybe 30-50% of the movies have subtitles. That's why I will cancel it before the free trial expires. The other two reasons are that I don't like Netflix subtitles w/ three lines which is weird and no Blu-ray format available on streaming.

BTW, have you read FCC's new rules in another thread?
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
SteveMcGarrett
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
Yeah, right but like I said before in my other post somewhere, Netflix is starting to add its own subtitles to the streaming movies. The company said it takes time. Right now I think maybe 30-50% of the movies have subtitles. That's why I will cancel it before the free trial expires. The other two reasons are that I don't like Netflix subtitles w/ three lines which is weird and no Blu-ray format available on streaming.

BTW, have you read FCC's new rules in another thread?
Yes i did,,And Theyre no penalties in it,,Like theyre should be fines and penalties just like how the FAA deals with mantence violations.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
CrazyPaul

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Yes i did,,And Theyre no penalties in it,,Like theyre should be fines and penalties just like how the FAA deals with mantence violations.
Email to FCC and see what's up with that.
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #29
mcfox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Streaming with CC

I have a Mac so I bought an Apple TV about a year ago and stream to my HD TV. Recently by accident I found that I could get CC on Netflix by using the up arrow which gives a short summary of the show. If there is an line underneath that says to press select for other options, do it and you'll be able to select CC. If the line is not there, the particular show does not have it (yet, I'm hoping)
I just bought a blu-ray player. Is seems like all blu-ray players show CC on inserted discs, but not streaming. Does anyone know of a blu-ray player that has CC on streaming like the apple TV?
mcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
CrazyPaul

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfox View Post
I have a Mac so I bought an Apple TV about a year ago and stream to my HD TV. Recently by accident I found that I could get CC on Netflix by using the up arrow which gives a short summary of the show. If there is an line underneath that says to press select for other options, do it and you'll be able to select CC. If the line is not there, the particular show does not have it (yet, I'm hoping)
I just bought a blu-ray player. Is seems like all blu-ray players show CC on inserted discs, but not streaming. Does anyone know of a blu-ray player that has CC on streaming like the apple TV?
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...mazon-etc.html Post #6 You should search first before asking.

Tags
closed caption, netflix, streaming