ASL songs?

horsegal

Reaction score
Hey there! I am an ASL student. I want to practice my signing with music -- not post it on youtube or whatever, but just sign for my own personal enjoyment. I hope to interpret someday, if I end up being good enough. But for now I just enjoy signing and learning about Deaf culture.
My question -- would anyone be willing to help me interpret (but not literally translate) some lyrics into more of an ASL-gloss? I would love to sign a few songs but I don't want to mangle them, if you know what I mean.. I'd rather have someone who truly knows what they're doing to show me the way a little bit. I think that signing music, something I know well, is a good way for me to progress my signing skills, and to have someone show me an ASL interpretation would help me understand ASL grammar better. I have Skype and Oovoo, or e-mail works too. You guys are wonderful! =)
(Also, I read a previous thread about this very same thing and there seemed to be some mixed emotions. I don't want to sign music FOR anyone, I just want to practice, hoping that someday I may be of some use to the Deaf community. I want to be able to interpret accurately. Thanks!!:wave:)

Oh it's definitely not homework.. I'm not in school again until Feb. I'm not that kind of girl, anyway.. but I just realized that might be how it appears! I assure you, it's not. Signing is just something I enjoy doing, like some people enjoy writing or running. =) I'm honestly just looking for someone who is a native signer to help me, so that I can understand grammar and ASL structure better. I am interested in improving and thought this might be a good way while I cannot go to classes every day. I am not signing music because I want to perform it.. at least not for anyone but my mirror. =)

Last edited:
I like SOME asl songs, though I don't exactly see the point. I watch them now and then just to practice my reading skills, and most are pretty bad. There are a few on youtube that I like watching, and from reading the comments, seems that most people appreciate when the translations are truly ASL, and not just signing word for word in English. My enjoyment of them depends on the signer, if they look natural and comfortable, if they put some emotion and style into it, etc.

the problem with not using a literal translation using PSE is that if you gloss and use ASL, you have to sign the concept of the song or what the meaning actual is, in music almost every lyric is up for interpretation, my best advice is to gloss the song itself and what it means to you, then just make sure that it is being expressed correctly in a grammatical sense. I think that would be better practice, esp if your going to interoperate, your going to have to get use to stuff like that. thats my two sense if its worth anything.

If you like the ASL interpreters: kmklined, ewitteborg and tiffanythill are great to watch on youtube. I like their interpretations a lot because they help me see someone who is really creative in their approach to sign. Hope that helps.

If you like the ASL interpreters: kmklined, ewitteborg and tiffanythill are great to watch on youtube. I like their interpretations a lot because they help me see someone who is really creative in their approach to sign. Hope that helps.

Thank you SO MUCH for the recommendations!! I loved watching these three, and I hope to one day be able to sign even half as beautifully as they.

Hey there! I am an ASL student. I want to practice my signing with music -- not post it on youtube or whatever, but just sign for my own personal enjoyment. I hope to interpret someday, if I end up being good enough. But for now I just enjoy signing and learning about Deaf culture.
My question -- would anyone be willing to help me interpret (but not literally translate) some lyrics into more of an ASL-gloss? I would love to sign a few songs but I don't want to mangle them, if you know what I mean.. I'd rather have someone who truly knows what they're doing to show me the way a little bit. I think that signing music, something I know well, is a good way for me to progress my signing skills, and to have someone show me an ASL interpretation would help me understand ASL grammar better. I have Skype and Oovoo, or e-mail works too. You guys are wonderful! =)
(Also, I read a previous thread about this very same thing and there seemed to be some mixed emotions. I don't want to sign music FOR anyone, I just want to practice, hoping that someday I may be of some use to the Deaf community. I want to be able to interpret accurately. Thanks!!:wave:)
you want to interesting something ASL practice! I hope be you wish be learn it on interpreter

American Sign Language (ASL) is used by deaf people in America as their primary method of communication. ASL is a visual language, incorporating hand signs, facial expressions and body language. Signing songs in ASL is a beautiful method of performing music, with the added benefit of giving deaf people the opportunity to view an interpreted song. Performing songs in ASL is particularly common in church groups, school assemblies, and within the deaf community. Learning to sign a song in ASL is similar to learning a dance; it requires preparation and practice to do it correctly and with skill.

Back