AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Relationships > Our Pets
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
whatdidyousay!

How do get your dog to take pills?

I have to give my dog antibiotics for 8 more days and I been making Finlay tiny peanut butter sandwiches to hide the pill! But he has gotten wise to me and does not eat the sandwich right away ,he now put it on his blanket and think about eating it ! Do any of you have any neat tricks to 'fool' your dog into taking a pill ? Finlay is a Standard Poodle and very smart, he is hard to trick, he smell everything I give to him before eating it!

I meant to have my title say ' How do you get your dog to take pills?'
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Tousi

What I have done before might work: I rolled the pill into a piece of cheddar cheese. Cheese wasn't chewed by my dog so he would just gulp it down....
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
posts from hell

There are "treats" that are pill pockets. you can put a pill in it and enclose it. the dog will only smell the treat.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
rockin'robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
What I have done before might work: I rolled the pill into a piece of cheddar cheese. Cheese wasn't chewed by my dog so he would just gulp it down....
That's a good trick!...As for me, I always get someone to help me hold my doggie's mouth open...stick the pill down deep, (to where the dog might try to gag or push the pill back out), then close the mouth (tightly) and rub the throat....Sometimes, I have to do it twice....
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
There are "treats" that are pill pockets. you can put a pill in it and enclose it. the dog will only smell the treat.
I think I saw those before in a pet store I had forgotten about it, ,
I thought of the cheese trick too , but the pill is rather big , I would need to use a lot cheese to hide the pill. Thanks ! I think I will try to look for the pill pockets. I really wish the companies that made dog pills would made the pills taste good to our pets so the dog or cat will eat it like a treat , heart worms pills are made to taste good , so this can be done.
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
That's a good trick!...As for me, I always get someone to help me hold my doggie's mouth open...stick the pill down deep, (to where the dog might try to gag or push the pill back out), then close the mouth (tightly) and rub the throat....Sometimes, I have to do it twice....
I use to give my dog pills that way , but I have give him pills for 2 weeks and BID , and it hard to keep my dog big month open and get a pill down there alone! I also like to give the pill with a little food so he will have some food in him. my dog has a strange eating patten.
Unread 12-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
jenniifer

I have an epileptic dog who has to take phenobarb. 2x a day. I just disguise the pill in a dab of butter - never met a dog who didn't like butter, he licks it right off my finger, no problem! Even if he knows a pill is in there, doesn't matter, all that matters is the butter. Cream cheese works well for this too.
jenniifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

I use a cheese slice. The slice has to be big enough so that the dog doesn't eat the cheese and reject the pill. lol
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
souggy

Wirelessly posted

Sardine.
Unread 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Buffalo

Hid it in a spoonful of canned dog food. My friend's two dogs went nuts for it.

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
I use a cheese slice. The slice has to be big enough so that the dog doesn't eat the cheese and reject the pill. lol
I once tried hiding a pill in a piece of a hot dog , my dog did not fall for that trick! I did buy some chicken from the deli but the chicken is so greasy the pill slip right out when I tried to roll it up in the slice . And I tried to eat the chicken and it taste disgusting! Now I have a lb of disgusting crap , I hate to give it to my dog as it has a lot fat and salt in it.
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Give them the first couple of pills for free. You can start charging once they are hooked.
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Quote:
On a serious note.....this is what I did too.
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
craigm26

Send a message via AIM to craigm26
Bologna. Gone in a bite
craigm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Aussie_Dog

Crush 'em. If it's a solid pill, grind it up under a flat-base mug (what I do, lol), then sprinkle it over his food. If it's kibble, add water and swirl it all around. If it's canned food, mix the powder in with the food. If it's a capsule, open it up and do the same thing (sprinkle it on food).

That's what I've done for years, and my dog's happy with the arrangement.

Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but
you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Aussie_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
blank canvas

Send a message via AIM to blank canvas Send a message via Skype™ to blank canvas
Cheese!!
Unread 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
Loghead

We wrap it in lunch meat. We did it with our old dog's allergy medication. We haven't had to give our 1 1/2 year old bassets a pill yet, though.
Loghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Oceanbreeze

Send a message via AIM to Oceanbreeze Send a message via MSN to Oceanbreeze
We've used snausages. Put the pill in it, and just give the dog the whole danged thing. Our dogs have taken pills this way for years. One caveat is that our dogs have needed pills from puppyhood forward, so that may be why we've had such success with this. Our dogs are just used to it because we started doing this with them so young. You may have a harder time getting your adult dog to take a pill this way if you've not had to do it.

If that's the case, I'd suggest doing what the poster above me suggested regarding crushing the med and sticking it on their food. That may work best for a really stubborn dog.

Good luck!
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Oceanbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Give them the first couple of pills for free. You can start charging once they are hooked.
That is a good idea! I only hope my dog will not be able to smell the pill as he smell everything I give to him! He is too smart to fool for long!
Unread 12-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
overthepond

I used to have cheese or anything that the pill can be rolled in trick... he'll glup it down. But he's so smart that he had worked out why he gets "cheese treats" when he's ill and at regular times but never other times therefore he never touched cheese again! Damn dog so now days I just put him between my legs, crank his mouth open and shove it down his mouth. Luckily my dog is only small dog (8kgs).
overthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
PatsCats

Send a message via Skype™ to PatsCats
They also make pill cutters that slice the pills in half. You can probably find them in any drug store. Then the pill halves are smaller and will hide easier.

My dog is very food oriented and will take food without question! If he finds the meds and spits them out, he's relatively easy to pill. My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! But that's for another thread!
PatsCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #22
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loghead View Post
We wrap it in lunch meat. We did it with our old dog's allergy medication. We haven't had to give our 1 1/2 year old bassets a pill yet, though.
I brought some chicken from the deli at Market Basket and my dog did not like it! It was a cheaper brand I did not think my dog would mind , boy I was wrong! I really can't blame my dog , I tried the chicken it was awful! I am going try the hot dog tonight, my dog was feed hot dog when he was being trained so I hope he fall it! I have 6 more days to go. Oy Vey!
You will not believe what my dog did with the dog hot! He tried to bury it in his blanket to save for later!
LOL!! I had to put the pill down his throat , I really do not like doing that way , he has long nose and I have to get my hand out fast , he will not bite but he does need to close his month to shallow and I do not want my fingers in the way!
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Bottesini
Your Name Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdidyousay! View Post
I brought some chicken from the deli at Market Basket and my dog did not like it! It was a cheaper brand I did not think my dog would mind , boy I was wrong! I really can't blame my dog , I tried the chicken it was awful! I am going try the hot dog tonight, my dog was feed hot dog when he was being trained so I hope he fall it! I have 6 more days to go. Oy Vey!
Well, at least he is getting better. It feels like we should have an AD party to celebrate when he finishes his antibiotics.
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottesini View Post
well, at least he is getting better. It feels like we should have an ad party to celebrate when he finishes his antibiotics.
lol!! Yeah he is getting better and back to being a wise guy! I call my dog a Fresh Poodle instead of a French Poodle!

Last edited by whatdidyousay!; 12-28-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #25
overthepond

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! But that's for another thread!
Yes, My cat's worse than the dog, She's 16, takes wormer every 3 months *touches wood thats all she needs*, I need to be geared up in chain mail, oh boy, her claws and teeth, they are razor sharp!!

I remember when she was just 4 years old, she had an cancerous lump removed from her neck, I had to give her special pills (think it might be chemo or radio, can't remember) I had to wear 3 medical gloves on to handle her tablets (and cleaning her litter tray/putting soiled litter in yellow hazard bag), as she often caught the first layer of glove and by the time I am finished the gloves are almost in shreads! She was given 10% to survive this cancer, 12 years on, Still are in best of health, she is a damn one lucky cat.
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
They also make pill cutters that slice the pills in half. You can probably find them in any drug store. Then the pill halves are smaller and will hide easier.

My dog is very food oriented and will take food without question! If he finds the meds and spits them out, he's relatively easy to pill. My cats are getting older and I wil have to find a way to pill cats!!! But that's for another thread!
I would use a big bath towel to wrapped my cat up then hold him down with one hand and use my other hand to put the pill in his mouth ! You have to be really fast and made sure you have the front paws wrapped up tight! My cat would be calling me all kind dirty names!
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
horselover61

I remmy my Tinyboy who is pomeranian and he lovesssssssssssssss cheese. When it was time for medication. He knew there one in there but didnt care for it cuz all he want was cheese. LOL He just gulped it down fast. LOL Find his favorite food and use it.

As for a cat best to wrap with bath towel and that what I did with my cat when I tried to clean out her ears. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr earmite. One more thing after the cat is wrap with towel be sure to sit on top of the cat not to hurt them but to sit so the cat have no control to move much. It help.

http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #28
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
I got some slice cheese and put the pill in it, my dog gulp it all down pill too!
I was worried he would spit the pill out! LOL!!
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthepond View Post
Yes, My cat's worse than the dog, She's 16, takes wormer every 3 months *touches wood thats all she needs*, I need to be geared up in chain mail, oh boy, her claws and teeth, they are razor sharp!!

I remember when she was just 4 years old, she had an cancerous lump removed from her neck, I had to give her special pills (think it might be chemo or radio, can't remember) I had to wear 3 medical gloves on to handle her tablets (and cleaning her litter tray/putting soiled litter in yellow hazard bag), as she often caught the first layer of glove and by the time I am finished the gloves are almost in shreads! She was given 10% to survive this cancer, 12 years on, Still are in best of health, she is a damn one lucky cat.
Wow 16 years is old for a cat! I use to give my cats yeast tablets and they loved it. One cat got into the box of tablets and ate a few of them. i would told it help keep my cats from getting fleas, I think it worked as they never had fleas,
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #30
overthepond

She's old cat but doesn't act/look it!! she must have had lease of new life after the cancer. Damn lucky moggy! She's a little PITA but I love her dearly. She was given to me for my 17th Birthday and I am now 33! Hope she stay round for my 40th!! Wishful thinking. My previous cat died when she was 21!!! she never been to vet in her life time, the first time she went to vet was the last time! She had to have Vacc to go into cattery as we were going on holiday and at the time we JUST moved and didn't want to ask our new neighbour to look after a very old cat (We never put our cats in cattery/dogs in kennels but this was one off). When time came to put her in Cattery, We went on holiday. Came home and I had to go straight back to boarding school and I never saw Pepper again. She died while we were on holiday. She went to sleep on the cattery lady's lap and passed away in her sleep. Least she was a very happy cat. All of our 5 cats died when they are very old and one of the cat was poisoned when she was 5 or something (i was very young at the time) and another were put down at 16 as his liver was mestizating fast with small tumours and the liver were on the verge of failure so we had him put out of misery, he was a very grumpy massive cat!!

I didn't know yeast prevents fleas, no wonder Misty loves Marmite!!! and rarely get fleas, we live near farm/high cat pouplated area so I treat her every 3 months to be on safe side. The dog is white and it's easy to spot fleas so he hasn't got one yet *touches wood* and doesn't have treatment at the moment. I don't like putting chemicals on them. He will have to have them done soon as we are going abroad and it's a must, he'll be allowed back in UK without quaratine if he had all the injections/treatment and stamped/signed by the vet.