Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
The Deaf Community

Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure.? Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully>
If so, why?

If not, why not?

For me...NO...because we have the right to be comfortable with our deafness and be respected as contributing citizens to this country. No, we may not live our lives the hearing way but as long as we are contributing to society, why complain about us wanting to stay in the Deaf community and using ASL as our language?

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Tousi

Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure.? Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully>
If so, why?

If not, why not?

For me...NO...because we have the right to be comfortable with our deafness and be respected as contributing citizens to this country. No, we may not live our lives the hearing way but as long as we are contributing to society, why complain about us wanting to stay in the Deaf community and using ASL as our language?
Problem is: for deaf toddlers, all options are conveyed/explained to the parents and they make a range of decisions. Other than that, I agree with the spirit of your message.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
LDNanna
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
Historically speaking, hearing have patronized the deaf. Feeling superior in the guise of their so called kindnesses. Paternalized the deaf under guise and pretense of knowing "what is good for them".

Bah. Soon we may begin to believe it.

I was of course born hearing as I am late deaf. It did not take long to discover that in some hearing peoples eyes my IQ dropped faster than my audiogram.
To answer your question - no. Why? I am quite capable of making my own decisions, have the right to my own opinion and have earned and fought for the right to make my own informed life choices.

I work hard, put up with prejudices and have earned my stripes. I am late deaf but none the less proud to be deaf. The last person to make decisions for me was my father. The dear man has passed on and so there went the last person respected enough to allow this liberty.
LDNanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
BecLak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Problem is: for deaf toddlers, all options are conveyed/explained to the parents and they make a range of decisions. Other than that, I agree with the spirit of your message.
That is the intention, but from my own experience it depends on the ones who give out the options. I was never given the option to be introduced to the deaf community and to learn sign language. The hearing world inclines to give options that fit with their world. They would not consider the deaf community or sign language as a option, especially if the parents are hearing. I disagree with that.
BecLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Tousi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecLak View Post
That is the intention, but from my own experience it depends on the ones who give out the options. I was never given the option to be introduced to the deaf community and to learn sign language. The hearing world inclines to give options that fit with their world. They would not consider the deaf community or sign language as a option, especially if the parents are hearing. I disagree with that.
I hear you; some jurisdictions are worse than others.....sorry that happened to you.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you asking if the decision to wear a HA, get a CI, or to research hair cell regeneration should exclude someone from the Deaf community?
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Frisky Feline

Liked 74 Times in 49 Posts
ditto, shel.

All I want is others to focus on themselve or their kids and leave me alone and my opinion with deaf community. Others who are sharing the same opinions with me that we can contintue to be part of the Deaf community are awesome.

I am sure that I will come back to this thread later.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ
Are you asking if the decision to wear a HA, get a CI, or to research hair cell regeneration should exclude someone from the Deaf community?
Not what shel90 said... she asked anyone some questions. OK, like, I ask you; why are you thinking being hearing is more important than being deaf? Why are your people think we should be normal humans like you?

That is what shel90 tried to say.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarissaMann05 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Not what shel90 said... she asked anyone some questions. OK, like, I ask you; why are you thinking being hearing is more important than being deaf? Why are your people think we should be normal humans like you?

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?

I dare one person to find a single post by Grendel or me that says that Hearing is better than Deaf.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Should the Deaf community accept hearing people calling deafness defective or that Deaf people need to improve themselves by getting CIs or seeking a cure?

All NOs to these questions! Too bad, normal people think so.

Or that we should assimilate in the hearing world fully?

No, any person don't have to. It is up to us.

If so, why? N/A

If not, why not?
Deaf people should feel comfortable for themselves. I hate how the way hearing people treat us like crap cos they think they know better.

Bah.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 10-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarissaMann05

I dare one person to find a single post by Grendel or me that says that Hearing is better than Deaf.
I'm not refered to you or anyone in here. I gave you an example for what she tried to say...

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Last edited by KarissaMann05; 10-02-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Frisky Feline

I d like to see more of CI users to challenge us who are pure deaf but only arguing by hearing parents. I wonder.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I'm not refered to you or anyone in here. I gave you an example for what she tried to say...
You quoted a hearing person and said "your people". How is that supposed to be interpreted?
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
I d like to see more of CI users to challenge us who are pure deaf but only arguing by hearing parents. I wonder.
If they don't seek out the Deaf community, but instead live in the mainstream community, they wouldn't be here.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - A Cure

Projecting a cure = eradication = pride of hearing...
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - A Cure

Projecting a cure = eradication = pride of hearing...
No, I asked what would be a cure and what wouldn't. I have no control of what scientists choose to do, all I can do is choose what I do and don't do. I did not advocate FOR a cure, or say that I hope they discover one.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #17
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then why bother bringing it up? What's your motive?
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Oh boy... you don't get it. But I will answer your questions anyway.

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?"

Hearing people. And, my life is really not so important to you. So, I don't see why I should to tell you about my family and myself.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Tousi

Quote:
Talk about transparency....
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Frisky Feline

Quote:
If they don't seek out the Deaf community, but instead live in the mainstream community, they wouldn't be here.
maybe.

maybe not, if they care about CI being useful then they could have tell us what they think of CI but they haven't. You tell me about it.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I was watching X-men 3 and saw some serious parallels between it and the Deaf community. It promoted a conversation with my husband about the definition of "cure" and we disagreed, thought I would open it up to other opinions.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Oh boy... you don't get it. But I will answer your questions anyway.

Who are "your" people? 33% of my immediate family is Deaf, what about yours?"

Hearing people. And, my life is really not so important to you. So, I don't see why I should to tell you about my family and myself.
Then don't tell me who is "my people" and who isn't.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #23
deafgal001
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
If they are not interested defending themselves and challenging deaf people, then why the parents? I don't understand.

they probably too young right now ( I don't think teenagers are ready and probably too sensitive)
deafgal001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Not anymore than someone should accept being called stupid, loser, etc. [insert any insulting term here] When someone suggests that I need to be "fixed" or "eradicated," it makes me feel the same way that I feel when someone calls me a loser. I won't accept that.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #25
KarissaMann05
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Well, I'm very happy that my mother didn't give me a "cure", or force me to be normal child, or force me to learn how to speak and listen, or not prevented me from exposing the ASL and Deaf Community.

I thankfully glad I grew up turned out doing so great! I love my family so much cos how they treated me better. I now can have my own choices.

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!

Unread 10-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
rockin'robin

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDNanna View Post
Historically speaking, hearing have patronized the deaf. Feeling superior in the guise of their so called kindnesses. Paternalized the deaf under guise and pretense of knowing "what is good for them".

I was of course born hearing as I am late deaf. It did not take long to discover that in some hearing peoples eyes my IQ dropped faster than my audiogram.
To answer your question - no. Why? I am quite capable of making my own decisions, have the right to my own opinion and have earned and fought for the right to make my own informed life choices.

I work hard, put up with prejudices and have earned my stripes. I am late deaf but none the less proud to be deaf. The last person to make decisions for me was my father. The dear man has passed on and so there went the last person respected enough to allow this liberty.
Superb Posting!....You said it excellent....
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wirelessly posted
OK, like, I ask you; why are you thinking being hearing is more important than being deaf?
I don't.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #28
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
My daughter can't write yet. She's 4.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #29
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgal001 View Post
If they are not interested defending themselves and challenging deaf people, then why the parents? I don't understand.

they probably too young right now ( I don't think teenagers are ready and probably too sensitive)
Not interested in challenging deaf people? They ARE deaf people, what do you mean by that?

In my case, my daughter is too young to write and join an online community. I'm hearing, yet part of the deaf community in order to understand and learn whatever I can from those who have trodden the path before and to make it possible for her to be exposed to Deaf culture and those with common experiences as a child. If I were not participating, she would not otherwise have an opportunity to interact with those who are deaf.

I know quite a few older children with CIs who do not participate in online forums such as this because -- frankly -- what is there for teenagers here, whether deaf or hearing? Are there a whole bunch of 14 - 20 YO unaided deaf here speaking for themselves? They are all out there looking for fun and friendship, their friends are on Facebook, the people they know in school, in real life. The experiences being related here are rarely relevant to today's high school age kids who've been wearing CIs since they were 1 or 2: they didn't grow up in the old oral schools described here, they likely didn't have a bi-bi program nearby, they grew up in communities of HA/CI children like themselves or in mainstream environments. The oldest early implantees, the pioneers who got their CIs pre-FDA approval trials, are 21, right? And until recently the Deaf community rejected them and their families outright. So they don't see the Deaf as their own "People." There are not yet 30 - 40 YOs out there who have grown up with CIs from toddler years.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #30
Tousi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDNanna View Post

Wow, I missed this the first time around! What a great post!!