AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies > Relay Services
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Sorenson's closing for good.

Better change providers and quick.

It's amazing, though. Looking two-three months ago, they were the strong hold, the richest, the biggest... Today they have shown that they are very fragile on the inside.
I guess we can say that they showed a bluff, strong when weak.

Now we know why they didn't contribute to the development of ASL users to provide security for their business future. They didn't have the cash for it.

Now we as a consumer can either accept their behavior in the last few months and continue using their services or decide that they should close for good.

I choose to close them for good.

No interpreters should have suffered like they have in the last few days.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
PowerON

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Sorenson have to re-think on how to make money without use FCC.
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Dismal Shadow
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not surprised really. We have spanish terps in Sorenson call center here in PR and they all got lay off.
Atheism in the name of God is an abandonment of all religious beliefs giving up the attempt to make sense of the world in terms of any fixed idea or intellectual system. It is becoming again as a child and laying oneself open to reality as it is actually and directly felt, experiencing it without trying to categorize, identify or name it.
Alan Watts
Dismal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Says who? Sorenson on Facebook said that they will continue running but only laid off some employees.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What such thing? What happens with their 84% investments? What a shame.
Alldeaf.com Official Meet II - date updated!
Follow the world with JClarke blog
JClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
Didn't Sorenson provide ALL DEAF who want VP with one for FREE?! Think about THAT before you start talking bad about Sorenson!
Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
diehardbiker

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If someboy gave you something of a value, and services; for free, what are you going to do to return them back? Give thanks to them or smashing into their face?

Think about this,
Deaf and damn proud!
DHB

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A couple days ago I got an email from SIPrelay and mySorenson to complete my account by calling a number from a VP and showing hte Sorenson representative a drivers license, state ID, or recent utility bill with my name and current address. This smells fishy...Did anyone else get that?
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
diehardbiker

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Do you mean you got unexpected call from somebody asking for these information though SIPrelay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
A couple days ago I got an email from SIPrelay and mySorenson to complete my account by calling a number from a VP and showing hte Sorenson representative a drivers license, state ID, or recent utility bill with my name and current address. This smells fishy...Did anyone else get that?

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Evo Dragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

more discussions: Sorenson VRS-2-1|Florida Jon|DeafVIDEO.TV
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Do you mean you got unexpected call from somebody asking for these information though SIPrelay?
Through an email, yes. Do SIPrelay and Sorenson work together???
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
katz4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to katz4life
I guess my bf and I are going to apply for Zvrs. Is it free? Nevermind, I'll ask my brother. He just started working for Z. By the way, our VP-200 Sorenson hasn't been used for about 2 years. It's all in dust now.
katz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
PowerON

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Didn't Sorenson provide ALL DEAF who want VP with one for FREE?! Think about THAT before you start talking bad about Sorenson!
when there was TTY, we had to pay telephone service while we pay internet. It still same. Where is your pea-brain go?

Oh never mind, you sign up as annoying and never come back again to post. Lame
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dark
this thread made me smirks

I concur. I dont see any reasons to deny the fact that it IS sorenson's faulty..

dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Frisky Feline

Liked 74 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I guess my bf and I are going to apply for Zvrs. Is it free? Nevermind, I'll ask my brother. He just started working for Z. By the way, our VP-200 Sorenson hasn't been used for about 2 years. It's all in dust now.
Oh that's great. It should keeps him busy. Hope he likes it. I have not used sorenson for about 6 yrs. ha. it got more dusts than you do!
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though E mail? SIPrelay do not send e mail to relay the call, this is SCAM!

SIPRelay only send and recieve though AIM or SIPrelay for Blackberry.

DHB
ooops I used my wife account

Quote:
Through an email, yes. Do SIPrelay and Sorenson work together???
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
Beowulf
Premium Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
Though E mail? SIPrelay do not send e mail to relay the call, this is SCAM!

SIPRelay only send and recieve though AIM or SIPrelay for Blackberry.

DHB
ooops I used my wife account
That is my suspicion. I will investigate when I get home next week.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
lilbugsb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! You are so funny and misinformation about Sorenson is closing for good, it is not TRUE! You lead them to misinformation. Sorenson still running as like always but just adjust of their operations. next time, if they're actually CLOSE and you may POST it!
lilbugsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
lilbugsb3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Sorenson will NEVER ask you for ANY information such as SSN, ID etc! You must get a call from someone else but not Sorenson because if they do that, you can email them via vrscomment@sorenson.com and give them with CIR number if you remember, and once they get urs email and they will take care of it
lilbugsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Yeah, they gave it out for free for a reason, to take advantage of the deaf population. Think about that as well.

Also, other VRS companies give out freebies as well. Feel free to go and boycott them.. I'm boycotting Sorenson for the few reasons I stated in the first post.

That is all.
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #21
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

Says who? Sorenson on Facebook said that they will continue running but only laid off some employees.
Did you read my first post? You have the power to close them.

I'm electing to use that power. That is all.
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke View Post
What such thing? What happens with their 84% investments? What a shame.
Its not "investments". Its a 84% monopoly over the VRS industry. That number is going down, and will be going down fast.
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
If someboy gave you something of a value, and services; for free, what are you going to do to return them back? Give thanks to them or smashing into their face?

Think about this,
Deaf and damn proud!
DHB
I give my thanks to companies who contribute to the deaf community. Sorenson's hardly one of them. After messing up 400+ interpreter jobs, think about the aftermath? Where are they going to go? What are they going to do?

I consider interpreters a big part of the deaf community.
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbugsb3 View Post
LOL! You are so funny and misinformation about Sorenson is closing for good, it is not TRUE! You lead them to misinformation. Sorenson still running as like always but just adjust of their operations. next time, if they're actually CLOSE and you may POST it!
Where is the misinformation? Show me?
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #25
deaf4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
using say-hey.tv now...

That is why I start using Say Hey: "say-hey.tv". They also started web site at www.say-hey.com. good interpreters, friendly company. i have try a few others but like them best for now.
deaf4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
radioman
Premium Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
Don't worry. History will repeat itself! Take a look at the TTY that became TDD's that was national FCC funded. now its state funded. I am pretty sure Sorenson is aware of the "big picture" 5-15 years down the road. I am pretty sure they are just milking the FCC funds as long they can before they must put in bids at state level like TDD's did. Only problem is that ip addresses that VP's uses are not owned statewide..

Don't say I didnt warn you.
radioman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #27
Jeff Harris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Don't worry. History will repeat itself! Take a look at the TTY that became TDD's that was national FCC funded. now its state funded. I am pretty sure Sorenson is aware of the "big picture" 5-15 years down the road. I am pretty sure they are just milking the FCC funds as long they can before they must put in bids at state level like TDD's did. Only problem is that ip addresses that VP's uses are not owned statewide..

Don't say I didnt warn you.
Only problem is that ip addresses that VP's uses are not owned statewide..

What in the world are you talking about with this nonsensical statement?
Jeff Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #28
Jeff Harris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
Better change providers and quick.

It's amazing, though. Looking two-three months ago, they were the strong hold, the richest, the biggest... Today they have shown that they are very fragile on the inside.
I guess we can say that they showed a bluff, strong when weak.

Now we know why they didn't contribute to the development of ASL users to provide security for their business future. They didn't have the cash for it.

Now we as a consumer can either accept their behavior in the last few months and continue using their services or decide that they should close for good.

I choose to close them for good.

No interpreters should have suffered like they have in the last few days.

What strong company can withstand a cut to revenue and on this magnitude and not nosedive in 2-3 months?

Sorenson gets paid less than their competition. And apparently some of their competition had to fudge their numbers to be profitable. What does that say?

If Sorenson's owners paid to much for the company the last time it changed hands, then this rate cut could mean the end of Sorenson. Does that mean they are greedy? No, it means that they overpaid and now have to face the fact that their forecasts of what the FCC would do were way optimistic and now they can't pay their creditors.

Businessmen sometimes make bad judgement calls.

If Sorenson goes away, who is going to provide you service? Do you really think Sorenson's competitors will just sign you up all at once? Do you think they have that type of idle capacity? If so, you aren't thinking it through. You don't just snap your finger and take on Sorenson's user base.
Jeff Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #29
Sargeras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is most unfortunate that Sorenson was forced by the FCC to lay off employees. I do not blame Sorenson as they have consistently and on daily basis, fought with FCC. They've opened up their fiancial data to FCC to help them understand what are the necessary rate to help Sorenson survive and continue to provide superb services to the deaf community, much like the other VRS Providers as well.

The one thing you need to understand is that Sorenson is such a large company and well run, making Sorenson the most efficient VRS company. Therefore, logic dictates that it is in the FCC's best interest to work with Sorenson to save ratepayer money, which translates to Tier III rate. HOWEVER, at this present time, the course of action adopted by FCC has forced Sorenson to lay off employees and restructure their operations, which means that Sorenson could lose some customers to other VRS Provider. This is okay but here lies the problem...

The problem is that FCC most likely made a horrible mistake by paying more as there are no other VRS Providers that are Tier III, meaning they're either Tier I or II. Therefore, these Tier I and II VRS Providers are billing FCC for more money that forces FCC to pay MORE for these services, which they could have pay LESS if Sorenson didn't suffer a drastic cut in Tier III rate. If FCC goal was to save ratepayer money and be an efficient steward of the TRS funds, they are FAILING in this role.

Moreover, FCC still has FAILED to explain why Tier I and II didn't suffer more than a dollar cut in their rate while Tier III suffered an dollar and 10 cent rate cut. This appears as a intentional attack on Sorenson by FCC as Sorenson is the only known Tier III provider.

Therefore, think about how FCC is "saving money" and being efficient with the TRS funds. Additionally, why is only Sorenson suffering the drastic cut in rate, when others VRS Providers don't have to suffer that drastic cut in their respective tier? Admittedly, FCC has some valid points but in this case, the points they make are far too few to the points that Sorenson makes.

Lastly, do not cite the debt that Sorenson has accumulated or how much they paid their investors and such. This is a business for profit and Sorenson became the leading VRS Provider because of these business decision they made. Hence, none of you have the knowledge nor the understanding about Sorenson's finacial structure or debt load. Even FCC doesn't state that they have the full knowledge of their finacial structure as they cited Debtwire as their source about Sorenson's debt.

Just think about what FCC should be doing and what their role are supposed to be. They are failing in every aspect of their role to protect the VRS Industry.
Sargeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dark
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeras View Post
It is most unfortunate that Sorenson was forced by the FCC to lay off employees. I do not blame Sorenson as they have consistently and on daily basis, fought with FCC. They've opened up their fiancial data to FCC to help them understand what are the necessary rate to help Sorenson survive and continue to provide superb services to the deaf community, much like the other VRS Providers as well.

The one thing you need to understand is that Sorenson is such a large company and well run, making Sorenson the most efficient VRS company. Therefore, logic dictates that it is in the FCC's best interest to work with Sorenson to save ratepayer money, which translates to Tier III rate. HOWEVER, at this present time, the course of action adopted by FCC has forced Sorenson to lay off employees and restructure their operations, which means that Sorenson could lose some customers to other VRS Provider. This is okay but here lies the problem...

The problem is that FCC most likely made a horrible mistake by paying more as there are no other VRS Providers that are Tier III, meaning they're either Tier I or II. Therefore, these Tier I and II VRS Providers are billing FCC for more money that forces FCC to pay MORE for these services, which they could have pay LESS if Sorenson didn't suffer a drastic cut in Tier III rate. If FCC goal was to save ratepayer money and be an efficient steward of the TRS funds, they are FAILING in this role.

Moreover, FCC still has FAILED to explain why Tier I and II didn't suffer more than a dollar cut in their rate while Tier III suffered an dollar and 10 cent rate cut. This appears as a intentional attack on Sorenson by FCC as Sorenson is the only known Tier III provider.

Therefore, think about how FCC is "saving money" and being efficient with the TRS funds. Additionally, why is only Sorenson suffering the drastic cut in rate, when others VRS Providers don't have to suffer that drastic cut in their respective tier? Admittedly, FCC has some valid points but in this case, the points they make are far too few to the points that Sorenson makes.

Lastly, do not cite the debt that Sorenson has accumulated or how much they paid their investors and such. This is a business for profit and Sorenson became the leading VRS Provider because of these business decision they made. Hence, none of you have the knowledge nor the understanding about Sorenson's finacial structure or debt load. Even FCC doesn't state that they have the full knowledge of their finacial structure as they cited Debtwire as their source about Sorenson's debt.

Just think about what FCC should be doing and what their role are supposed to be. They are failing in every aspect of their role to protect the VRS Industry.
Apparently, u didnt gathering enough information before jump onto it. For your information, sorenoon arent only facing the impacts but purple, hawk, some other has to face it in different situations too.

Secondly, sorenson is failing at manage the business due to their overspending on thousand of centers and leeched so much interpreters out of the deaf community. That's flawed they made is THEIRS fault for greedy and attempted to generate so much minutes by planting more centers then more minutes they makes. Unfortunate....

dark is offline   Reply With Quote