AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Technology > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,472
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Not sure how many of you guys torrent things out there.. this is just a heads up as a Public Service Announcement.


Internet service providers and movie publishers are following up on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) the past few years, most beginning to take more action this year. Some are within negotiations, some have specific policies regarding pirating.

About 2+ weeks or two ago, all people who had torrented a version of the movie "Hurt Locker" have had their IP's requested by Voltage Pictures Inc., and are in the process of getting sued. There's a story here.

They did this by acting as a seed themselves, and logged all the IP's they could see while seeding.

Many ISPs these days have begun taking action, some have a 1 or 3 strike policy.

So watch what you're doing out there.
naisho is online now  
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 05-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not surprised, our ISP doesn't care about piracy.

I have encryption on torrent so ISP won't find out about what I'm doing.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
AndyE9503
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Back in K-Town
Posts: 660
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uuummmm... not good for me. Over 500 gigs and counting.

But this has been reported so many times in the past
AndyE9503 is offline  
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
yizuman
Registered User
 
yizuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,371
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obligatory "FARK THE RIAA/MPAA!!"

Yiz
__________________



yizuman is offline  
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
souggy
Registered User
 
souggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,541
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They really need to revamp the copyrights laws and the method of distribution.
__________________
"It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you donít understand it." - Richard Freynman
souggy is offline  
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,353
Likes: 3
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Not surprised, our ISP doesn't care about piracy.

I have encryption on torrent so ISP won't find out about what I'm doing.
that doesn't help much
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline  
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
that doesn't help much
I never experience any throttle or get email from ISP after heavily torrent user, especially tv shows.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,353
Likes: 3
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
I never experience any throttle or get email from ISP after heavily torrent users, especially tv shows.
just matter of time. btw - the ISP will warn you thru WWW, not email.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline  
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
just matter of time. btw - the ISP will warn you thru WWW, not email.
They did email to some people like one of my friend got warned from Comcast via email about downloaded the movie so I told him to use encryption so no more throttle or email after that, also some members in piratebay said that they got email from cable companies about download the files from torrent so called us to be careful.

I'm not worried because I already know about my DSL ISP doesn't care and I know someone in my area is heavily torrent user without encryption for years so they never get warned or throttled.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,353
Likes: 3
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
They did email to some people like one of my friend got warned from Comcast via email about downloaded the movie so I told him to use encryption so no more throttle or email after that, also some members in piratebay said that they got email from cable companies about download the files from torrent so called us to be careful.

I'm not worried because I already know about my DSL ISP doesn't care and I know someone in my area is heavily torrent user without encryption for years so they never get warned or throttled.
a little better but still not secured.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline  
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
a little better but still not secured.
Ok but I'm not worried because our ISP isn't throttle/warn infested, unlike Comcast does.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking about theft?????
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,472
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, to be technical they're discussing security.
naisho is online now  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
souggy
Registered User
 
souggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,541
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Talking about theft?????
The problem with piracy, people don't think of it as theft; that's why it's a rampant problem. It's hard to explain that "copying isn't theft" is not always true.

So something need to be done to turn that mentality into a profitable measure.
__________________
"It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you donít understand it." - Richard Freynman
souggy is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souggy View Post
The problem with piracy, people don't think of it as theft; that's why it's a rampant problem. It's hard to explain that "copying isn't theft" is not always true.

So something need to be done to turn that mentality into a profitable measure.
Yeah I would like to see the laws tightened up and enforced....Piracy is without a doubt theft. If people wanted to give their work away they would make it easy
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,472
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on where you are from. Certain parts of the world couldn't care less for how much the entertainment industry earns their profits. Canada, Russia, Ukraine etc

There are parts of the world where they can't even have that form of distribution, such as dvds blurays, tv shows aren't even shown or released there. So you got to think what you're talking about if you want to ban piracy once and for all.

It's already getting fairly strict in the USA as of recent.
naisho is online now  
Unread 05-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #17
souggy
Registered User
 
souggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,541
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Yeah I would like to see the laws tightened up and enforced....Piracy is without a doubt theft. If people wanted to give their work away they would make it easy
"without a doubt theft"

Yeah... explain that to the torrent users. They don't think of it as stealing because they didn't shoplift it or pay for someone to copy it or steal it. They think it's free, and everyone else is "sharing" it as well therefore there's no moral wrong. Try explaining to your average Joe that "sharing" is wrong.

I am not saying it's right, but when the general public don't see a moral wrong-- they will go ahead and do it anyway; especially if they justify it as being anti-capitalist or anti-consumerist. It's kinda hard to toughen up laws that are not targeted toward criminal minorities with similar mindsets.

Yes, I know they're undercutting companies' profits, but... hey, your costumers control your products. I means look at iTunes, they capitalized on digital distribution and took away the reasonings for people to pirate (ie. only wanting individual songs and such.)
__________________
"It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you donít understand it." - Richard Freynman
souggy is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #18
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souggy View Post
"without a doubt theft"

Yeah... explain that to the torrent users. They don't think of it as stealing because they didn't shoplift it or pay for someone to copy it or steal it. They think it's free, and everyone else is "sharing" it as well therefore there's no moral wrong. Try explaining to your average Joe that "sharing" is wrong.

I am not saying it's right, but when the general public don't see a moral wrong-- they will go ahead and do it anyway; especially if they justify it as being anti-capitalist or anti-consumerist. It's kinda hard to toughen up laws that are not targeted toward criminal minorities with similar mindsets.

Yes, I know they're undercutting companies' profits, but... hey, your costumers control your products. I means look at iTunes, they capitalized on digital distribution and took away the reasonings for people to pirate (ie. only wanting individual songs and such.)
Don't know if I agree that there is "no moral wrong"....Kinda like taking towels from a hotel....everyone does it (I don't BTW)
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
souggy
Registered User
 
souggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,541
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Don't know if I agree that there is "no moral wrong"....Kinda like taking towels from a hotel....everyone does it (I don't BTW)
I never figured out why hotels don't charge people's credit cards for stealing towels.
__________________
"It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you donít understand it." - Richard Freynman
souggy is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #20
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souggy View Post
I never figured out why hotels don't charge people's credit cards for stealing towels.
Some people pay hotel rate in cash.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #21
souggy
Registered User
 
souggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,541
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Some people pay hotel rate in cash.
Um...

I haven't been to a hotel that doesn't require you to make a reservation via cheque or credit card. The ones that accept only cash for reserving a room don't usually have special services like fresh towels.

SO yeah, you can pay in cash AFTER you reserve a room, but it's hard to get a room without a monetary promise.
__________________
"It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you donít understand it." - Richard Freynman
souggy is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Yeah I would like to see the laws tightened up and enforced....Piracy is without a doubt theft. If people wanted to give their work away they would make it easy
Already did... under DMCA but not completely effective.

DRM does encourage more crack than turn into profit.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #23
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souggy View Post
Um...

I haven't been to a hotel that doesn't require you to make a reservation via cheque or credit card. The ones that accept only cash for reserving a room don't usually have special services like fresh towels.

SO yeah, you can pay in cash AFTER you reserve a room, but it's hard to get a room without a monetary promise.
I did paid hotel in cash in 2006 before on way to Chicago and it is just middle class hotel with nice towels.

I don't bother to steal it.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #24
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Already did... under DMCA but not completely effective.

DRM does encourage more crack than turn into profit.
So then you realize that they don't want you to do this and there is a law against it?????
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
So then you realize that they don't want you to do this and there is a law against it?????
Sorry, I'm not going disclose about my usage with torrent.

DMCA and DRM are just broken and copyright law need reformed so badly.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #26
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Sorry, I'm not going disclose about my usage with torrent.

DMCA and DRM are just broken and copyright law need reformed so badly.
I think you already did earlier in the thread.....
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #27
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
I think you already did earlier in the thread.....
Not full detail, just very little.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Not full detail, just very little.
Enough
TXgolfer is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #29
Foxrac
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 39,341
Likes: 4
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
Enough
Well, I don't have answer since I don't want more discuss about what I'm doing with torrent since you won't know about me but just little, not enough for you.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline  
Unread 05-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #30
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,050
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Well, I don't have answer since I don't want more discuss about what I'm doing with torrent since you won't know about me but just little, not enough for you.
I am not asking you to answer anything....lol You answered the only question I asked.
TXgolfer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.