What is the best way to learn sign language?

BethanyDawn

Reaction score
Hello. I am a hearing impaired 28 year old mother of two. I have a hearing family. I have a cochlear implant that enables me to hear some sounds, but I am barely sliding by in life this way and I'm frequently lonely and feel like an outcast. I would like to learn sign language. What is the best way to learn- from a book, a video, a class? Also, from what I understand, there are two different ways you can learn ASL? One way is to follow the english speaking language order and one way is a completely different order and grammar? Can someone explain this to me and tell me which way most deaf or hard of hearing people in the United States use or is both frequently used? Thank you.

I am not an american but an fluent ASL signer, just wanted to point out what sign language that used the english speaking language order is SEE (Signed Excat English) but Pidgen Sign Language (similar to total communication) is a mixure of both languages, which ASL is most commonly used in the american deaf community so only can encourage to attend ASL classes locally if you wish to learn sign language. I'll leave it to this point, I am pretty sure there is plenty of source you can find here on alldeaf.com.

I would really recommend taking an in-person class taught by a native signer (someone who's used sign language all, or most of their life and use it as their primary means of communication)

ASL - American Sign Language is the sign language used in both Canada and the USA and is used by the majority of Hoh and Deaf signers for everyday communication - it is what I'd really suggest learning. ASL does have it's own sentence structure and why of expressing time, space, movement, pronouns etc that is different from English however with the right teachers, resources (books, DVDs etc) time and patience it really DOES start making sense - you just need to remember that ASL is it's own language.

The more "English Order Sign" is sometimes known as PSE (pidgin Signed English) - and is a bit like ASL however in a more English order and using some modified signs (SEE signs) ... this is what many ASL students end up "speaking" in the first few months and years while they're learning the proper ASL grammar.

One thing that I'd really recommend if at all possible is that you see if your immediate family can all take ASL classes together - this not only gives you something to do as a family, but also means that you can constantly practice everyday, which well greatly improve how well you learn and retain information :) It also instills from day one that ASL is something that is important to you and something that will help ALL of you communicate with each other (communication goes both ways ... you have to be able to understand what others say, and they need to say things in a way that you are able to understand ... using signs improves communication on all sides, and is FUN too!!)

I hope this helps !!

Of course once you get started on ASL classes - using a webcam you can practice with other ASL students as well as people you get to know and met here or via other Hoh/Deaf sites or "in real life" places such as the various nearby Deaf communities in your area :)

Definitely the best way is an actual class. However, that being said, I started teaching myself online with free classes from Sign Language: American Sign Language (ASL) for about a year until I could afford classes. I also watched many videos and started going to Deaf events. I am just finishing my first semester in college in ASL and loving it! Find someone to practice with... family, online, whatever. Immerse yourself in ASL as much as you are able to. :)

I agree with several comments -- learning ASL in class. Online ASL websites are nice, but ASL classes are the best way to go.

You may want to contact the people over at aslasl.com in Germantown for further info on the next ASL class, etc. :)

Wirelessly posted

I would recommend an ASL class. The benefits of actually learning for a native signer (best way) and get in depth with all grammar rules and structure of ASL. Videos, books and online sources are helpful for reference but it doesn't compare what you would learn from a classroom.

I find that a SMALL class is the best that way you find yourself a little more comfortable with the people around you as you learn sign. They can also help to correct signs that you've done wrong and may mean dirty things (I dunno how many of these there are but I certainly run into them frequently. I'm glad I have understanding friends to correct me. )

Also, signing with other people and solidifying it in your head outside of class :D ASL isn't just for the classroom. Practice with people on Skype. LIKE ME! *points to the sign up in the forum above*. If I'm online and not in class/work/WoW I'm up for some talking. Just to warn you though, I try to sign for at least the first five minutes of the conversation and I pause frequently because I have to think ahead of what I'm saying :( Not to the point yet where sentences come off at the fly.

I have been learning from a few websites and books that I have. I have also taken a short (9 weeks, 18 hours) ASL class. My problem is memory retention. "Use it or lose it" come into play a lot. No one in my family wanted to learn with me, so I have no help there. I am spending more time at my local deaf club and they are helping. I also have a few people here on AD that I video chat with to work on my ASL. (had a week off since my computer crashed and just got it back online today)

hearing with deaf family member

Hi. I suggest you do everything and anything you possible can do to learn. Expose yourself to different levels of learning - Just jump in with both feet and have no fear. I can only imagine the depth of lonliness one feels when they are isolated - I have been there even as a hearing person, and my heart goes out anyone in need.

I am hearing but have a deaf niece. No one else in our family is deaf, but we all began to take an interest and learned simple baby signs, etc. As she grew and was exposed to more signing, she got faster and more advanced than most of the family - she signs ASL but puts up with the English and Pidgeon learned signs. She does not live close, and so I am not able to keep up with her signing. Plus, she is now a teen (and like most teens wants nothing to do with us adults). I recently started taking sign classes, so I could communicate better with her, and because I have taken an interest in deaf culture. However, even with some sign language exposure, it seems so limited, and like any language if you do not use it you lose it. So, this past weekend, thanks to this sites guidance, I added more exposure to signing by attending a DeafChat Coffee (voice off). There is a mixure of deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing, and everyone was great. What a wonderful way to immerse in the deaf culture and to make new friends. Maybe there is one near you? Go to this site and see:

Deaf Chat Coffee | A deaf social lifestyle

Good luck! I hope this helps and you find yourself surrounded by many new friends in this wonderful world.

I find that a SMALL class is the best that way you find yourself a little more comfortable with the people around you as you learn sign. They can also help to correct signs that you've done wrong and may mean dirty things (I dunno how many of these there are but I certainly run into them frequently. I'm glad I have understanding friends to correct me. )

Also, signing with other people and solidifying it in your head outside of class :D ASL isn't just for the classroom. Practice with people on Skype. LIKE ME! *points to the sign up in the forum above*. If I'm online and not in class/work/WoW I'm up for some talking. Just to warn you though, I try to sign for at least the first five minutes of the conversation and I pause frequently because I have to think ahead of what I'm saying :( Not to the point yet where sentences come off at the fly.

:wave:Do you know of any in Maine?? I am up here too and am looking for classes right now!! I too have great friends who are polite enough to correct my incorrect signs for me, but I need a class bad! I am losing hearing a little faster than we had hoped and my family wants to learn with me, and I have the resources to help get the class covered so I am looking for one but having a hard time finding anything I can work with my schedule. I am also looking for some of those "silent" get togethers, I hear do happen up here sometimes! :hmm:

Online ASL websites are nice, but ASL classes are the best way to go.

I also agree with you. Any person who wants to learn sign language can just join this. It will be the best way for all of you. If you really want to learn than you can also learn it online also. If you having no time to join classes than you may learn it at home by reading some book of it.

I don't mind reading books, but sometimes I don't understand the instruction it gives me. I don't even know what they mean by classification or anything like that. I missed out alot growing up so I have no idea what they are talking about. Kinda like a book talking about what to do with verbs, but you have NO idea what a verb is. Not until you go back to the basic. (yes, I know what a verb is, I'm just trying to express what I'm trying to say)

I find videos very helpful. But I do agree that class is the best way to go.

I don't mind reading books, but sometimes I don't understand the instruction it gives me. I don't even know what they mean by classification or anything like that. I missed out alot growing up so I have no idea what they are talking about. Kinda like a book talking about what to do with verbs, but you have NO idea what a verb is. Not until you go back to the basic. (yes, I know what a verb is, I'm just trying to express what I'm trying to say)

I find videos very helpful. But I do agree that class is the best way to go.

I know what you mean. I am a visual and hands on learner. My comprehension is not too good and so books don't help me unless there are good photos in it. That's why I like a lot of online videos to learn ASL. I also get videos from the library, but I find that some of the ones for kids don't teach the same signs as what I learned in my class or in any of the other places I've been getting them. Is it possible that the videos for children learning ASL are more simplified than for adults?

Back