AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
kokonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you defend thesis for your Master's degree?

Has anyone ever completed a Master's degree and did a thesis defense? If so, how did you defend your thesis? Was yours an oral thesis defense, sign language...? Of course, for me, it was an oral thesis defense for the M.S. degree in Geology at University of Idaho. Mine took approximately 1 1/2 hours in front of sitting professors who grilled me, including taking questions from students who were there to watch and listen to my thesis defense, as well as lending support. I think I lost a couple of pounds that time. LOL

Curious as to how others did theirs.

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I defended a Ph.D. dissertation. It was an oral defense, as is the practice for dissertation defense.

Are you talking about a dissertation or a thesis? Very different concepts, and very different procedures. Dissertation defense at the PhD level determines whether you are granted a terminal degree or not. At the Master's level, it doesn't. And a dissertation is far more extensive than a thesis paper.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I earned an LL.M. after my JD. I didn't have to defend my paper. My supervising professor had to approve it. Not all fields require oral defense.
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylou View Post
I earned an LL.M. after my JD. I didn't have to defend my paper. My supervising professor had to approve it. Not all fields require oral defense.
Quite true. Most don't require a defense of a Master thesis. Simply a supervisor or a board approval of your topic. Then a pass/fail on the final paper.
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Didn't have to defend anything for my Master's.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Didn't have to defend anything for my Master's.
Me, either. Just had to have my topic approved. Didn't defend until my Ph.D. dissertation.
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
TWA
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will have to defend my creative thesis (a 250 page short story collection) next year for an MFA degree, which is also a terminal degree like the PhD and JD. But, because in an MFA the writing itself is the most important component, the oral defense is more of a formality. Only way it becomes a factor is if your written thesis is already very weak, and that usually never happens, at least not in my program.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWriteAlex View Post
I will have to defend my creative thesis (a 250 page short story collection) next year for an MFA degree, which is also a terminal degree like the PhD and JD. But, because in an MFA the writing itself is the most important component, the oral defense is more of a formality. Only way it becomes a factor is if your written thesis is already very weak, and that usually never happens, at least not in my program.
Agreed; I don't know of any degrees that require a defense that aren't terminal degrees. Many Master's don't even require a thesis at all if there are a substantial number of internship hours that must be completed for the degree. Master's in Social Work is one that I know of, and some Master's in Counseling if they are doing 1200 internship hours spread over 2 quarters. Some education Master's too, I think, depending on the number of student teaching hours required. Shel would know more about the ed degrees, because that's the field her Master's in in.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jillio, if you don't mind my asking, what did you earn your PhD in? If you don't want to say here, that's fine.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Jillio, if you don't mind my asking, what did you earn your PhD in? If you don't want to say here, that's fine.
I don't mind. Just about everyone already knows. Clinical counseling psychology.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
kokonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Well, mine was where one *must* have successfully completed the final oral and/or written defense prior to submitting the final copies of the document to the College of Graduate Studies. I'd have 6 months to submit my thesis document after a successful oral thesis defense else I wouldn't have been able to complete my graduation requirement. Hence, no M.S. degree.

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a thesis is a part of the curricular requirements, then of course you have to complete the academic requirements to graduate. But if your topic is rejected, all you have to do is come up with another topic, write your thesis, and turn it in. That isn't the way it works for a terminal degree.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
TWA
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonut View Post
Well, mine was where one *must* have successfully completed the final oral and/or written defense prior to submitting the final copies of the document to the College of Graduate Studies. I'd have 6 months to submit my thesis document after a successful oral thesis defense else I wouldn't have been able to complete my graduation requirement. Hence, no M.S. degree.
Yes, as it should have. But yours is a science field, where verbal command of the discipline is very important to demonstrate your understanding of the data you collected.

In a creative writing thesis/dissertation, the writing itself speaks for the student's command of the subject. The oral defense is not necessarily seen as unimportant, and it is certainly required for the student to receive their degree, but it's not really something to stress over.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Yes, as it should have. But yours is a science field, where verbal command of the discipline is very important to demonstrate your understanding of the data you collected.

In a creative writing thesis/dissertation, the writing itself speaks for the student's command of the subject. The oral defense is not necessarily seen as unimportant, and it is certainly required for the student to receive their degree, but it's not really something to stress over.
Verbal command???????
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
kokonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

I see it as more challenging doing the oral thesis defense. It is by no means easy. Professors do grill you on the subject afterwards. So, no, it's not just getting up there and speak about your thesis work, you have to *defend* it and show you knowledge of the subject. My work spanned 4 years before I defended it.

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I see it as more challenging doing the oral thesis defense. It is by no means easy. Professors do grill you on the subject afterwards. So, no, it's not just getting up there and speak about your thesis work, you have to *defend* it and show you knowledge of the subject. My work spanned 4 years before I defended it.
4 years on a Master's Degree?????
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
TWA
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
LOL, are you trying to turn this into a pissing match or something?

Different fields have different criteria. You asked what it's like in each of our fields, and I'm tell you what its like in MY FIELD, not yours.

To me, writing a 250 page collection of short stories is a lot more work than the preparation I'll have to do for the oral defense.

BTW, 4 years???
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
kokonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
LOL, are you trying to turn this into a pissing match or something?

Different fields have different criteria. You asked what it's like in each of our fields, and I'm tell you what its like in MY FIELD, not yours.

To me, writing a 250 page collection of short stories is a lot more work than the preparation I'll have to do for the oral defense.
BTW, 4 years???
Yes, exactly. Different criteria. I understand completely.

Yes, 4 years.

Unread 03-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Yes, exactly. Different criteria. I understand completely.

Yes, 4 years.
full-time status?
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
full-time status?
If so, there must have been several retakes on courses.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Quote:
Has anyone ever completed a Master's degree and did a thesis defense? If so, how did you defend your thesis? Was yours an oral thesis defense, sign language...? Of course, for me, it was an oral thesis defense for the M.S. degree in Geology at University of Idaho. Mine took approximately 1 1/2 hours in front of sitting professors who grilled me, including taking questions from students who were there to watch and listen to my thesis defense, as well as lending support. I think I lost a couple of pounds that time. LOL

Curious as to how others did theirs.
Haven't done Masters program yet. Don't have time and money to do it yet as I have a hefty family obligation to take care first.

but curious - what was your thesis?
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #22
TWA
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
If so, there must have been several retakes on courses.
Well let's not jump to conclusions. I know nothing about geology study, but I am a little curious to know why it took 4 years to get a master's degree...

Enlighten us please, Koko?
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
Texan Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bachelor's Degrees in Geology will be enough for me. Err...I'm working on it. Bloody nightmare mathematics, they slow me down.

Texan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #24
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with four years? He could have had a lot on his plate. I don't think he's one who would need retakes very often, if at all.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #25
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I don't mind. Just about everyone already knows. Clinical counseling psychology.
That would have been my guess sooner or later.

I have only been on this board a short time, so I just didn't know.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
jillio
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
What's wrong with four years? He could have had a lot on his plate. I don't think he's one who would need retakes very often, if at all.
I don't know of any Master's programs with a 4 year curriculum for a full time student.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #27
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I don't know of any Master's programs with a 4 year curriculum for a full time student.
Does that mean if someone has to drop out of the program for whatever reason they would have to wait until whatever they had left was offered again during the course of the program?
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Quote:
well - I've never heard of 4 years Master program. 4 years in Master program is equivalent to 8 years in undergraduate program. Quite a handful of my friends have completed their Masters in 1-2 years (engineering/science programs).... while they have full-time job...

but I'm awaiting for kokonut's clarification or explanation.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #29
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
well - I've never heard of 4 years Master program. 4 years in Master program is equivalent to 8 years in undergraduate program. Quite a handful of my friends have completed their Masters in 1-2 years (engineering/science programs).... while they have full-time job...

but I'm awaiting for kokonut's clarification or explanation.
That's an interesting equivalent you stated. Eight years of undergrad? Are you counting 100- and 200-level basic courses?

Anyway, let's hear from Kokonut.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #30
kokonut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never said 4 years Masters program. I said my work spanned 4 years (my thesis work).

Yes, fulltime student.