AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Moon-child

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deaf cyclist needs advice.

Hi folks, I hope I have placed this in the correct forum, my apologies if I did not.

I have recently taken up bike riding again and am loving it. However, when cars or other cyclists come up behind me, they expect that I am hearing them. I do not hear them, and am finding this dangerous for me. People get mad at me, and do not realize I cannot hear t6heir vehicles or bells. I am worried about getting hit.

What advice can you give me? I was thinking of a license plate that says "Deaf Rider" or something, I just don't know. I don't really want to draw attention to myself but and finding riding on the main roads too freaky.
Moon-child is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 208 Times in 117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-child View Post
Hi folks, I hope I have placed this in the correct forum, my apologies if I did not.

I have recently taken up bike riding again and am loving it. However, when cars or other cyclists come up behind me, they expect that I am hearing them. I do not hear them, and am finding this dangerous for me. People get mad at me, and do not realize I cannot hear t6heir vehicles or bells. I am worried about getting hit.

What advice can you give me? I was thinking of a license plate that says "Deaf Rider" or something, I just don't know. I don't really want to draw attention to myself but and finding riding on the main roads too freaky.
Are there any bike trails where you could go?

They do make mirrors for bicycles if not.
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
x2 on getting a mirror, either for your helmet or handlebars.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
radioman
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
speaking from experience here. I used to ride on the "right" side of the road on bike. One day I was hit from a car from behind smashing my bike to a mangled mess, my leg caught on corner of hood and pulled muscle, hit the windsheild and my hearing aid got ripped off by the windsheild wiper and flew up in the air and came crashing down on the side of road halfway into the gravel ditch.

Ever since that accident, I always rode my bike agianst the traffic, so I can see the vehicles coming. Before you guys get started on my about the law saying I must ride with traffic, I will say that I will fight this in court if I ever get pulled over by a cop for riding the wrong direction or wrong side of road. right or wrong, its about MY safety agianst the 2 ton car hurtling towards me at speeds excess of 60 mph.

I have been riding this way for over 30 years and will still continue to do so.
radioman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Moon-child

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirrors, yes, why didn't I think of that! Great idea! Bike trails are all good, but I also like to get from 'a' to 'b' on my bike which requires me to ride on the roads.

radioman, I have never thought of riding against the traffic either, strange as it feels to consider it, it does make sense.

I think I will start with mirrors. Thank you for your responses!
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding against traffic is a bad idea. Not only is it illegal, you are also putting youself and others at greater risk.
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
radioman
Premium Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Riding against traffic is a bad idea. Not only is it illegal, you are also putting youself and others at greater risk.
How can it put ME in risk ? I can SEE them. If I ride with traffic and don't hear them coming, I hate being startled. To me this is more dangerous. If I can SEE them coming, then they know I see them. this makes it safer for both of us. Can you state from a case or anything that riding with traffic is better for deaf/HOH ?!!
radioman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will put you at risk because riding against traffic is not where drivers expect you to be coming from. And it decreases time to react because you are both coming at each other.

As for seeing cars, use a mirror.

Above all, give due consideration to where you ride. Some places are unsafe for bicycles no matter how careful everyone is.

When I am riding and a bicyclist is coming towards me against traffic, I never know which side he or she is going to pass. It's not the place to play a guessing game.
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
hmmm well - try to work on your situational awareness. Be more aware of your surrounding at all time.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
deafclimber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on roads and off roads since 1986 and i have been in triathlon races, road biking races (TT), and mountain biking races. Please Do Not ride on wrong side like radioman's suggestion. You can use a mirror on your helmet if you feel safe. i always keep eyeing over my shoulders every few minutes before i change the lanes or turn onto left or right. i was in serious car/bike accident in 1989 and it was a driver's fault, but i kept moving on.

If you want to ride on roads, be sure to drive around the area where you can find a better road where less traffic is before you start riding. That is what i do. Also research online to find a path around your home town where there are open for bikers, walkers, skaters only.

Share the roads and please dont ride against the traffic.

PM me if you have any questions relating with my cycling experiences. thanks.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
rule #1 - please learn the etiquette

rule #2 - wear your helmet

rule #3 - enjoy
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
Frisky Feline

Liked 110 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
hmmm well - try to work on your situational awareness. Be more aware of your surrounding at all time.
Yes and use your eyes to look around before you change your lanes. I rely on my eyes checking everywhere when I drive or ride. Relying on the sound won't help.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Chris B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm this is an interesting topic for me. I am a design student looking for a design oppertunity relating to deaf or hard of hearing people. Is this a common problem? How willing would you be to buy something like a heads up display that would tell you if a car was coming? I'm trying to get a feel for the needs of the deaf community to focus my design. I have a Q&A thread going in the deaf culture forum. I'll check back on this thread, but I'd appreciate some feedback in the other thread.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
LDNanna
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
I love bike riding. I have an old red cruiser. I got handle bar mirror that is very adjustible for very little money at Wally World. Since I ride legally (with traffic) I put it on my left handlebar. You can also get small "fish eye" lenses to place on the regular mirror that will give you a broader rear view. I do look around, over my shoulder, left and right.

Go to the shop, try out both the handle bar and helmet mirrors and see which you are most comfortable with. The mirrors come in different shapes and sizes to suit your needs. Try a quick online search and see the possibilities.

Have fun and as for the license plate, I dunno. Some folks out there are mean. Nuff said?
LDNanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
horselover61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen one deaf person riding a bike on the Cape Cod, Mass and he had a sign that he made that said deaf rider on the back of his bike. He cant drive but can ride bike. That help alot for the driver.

http://furbyland.myminicity.com/
horselover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Moon-child

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it guys, thank you all for your helpful posts and opinions. For now I will stick to an antique old bike license plate, looks awesome on my retro cruiser. I am however shopping for mirrors right now, pricing them out, etc.

Deaf climber, thankyou for your offer to pm you, I may take you up on that.

Once again All Deaf has helped me out immensely!
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
John H Norfolk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deaf cycling is just as perilous in England too

We have identical problems in England with the added complication that roads are (I imagine) a lot narrower over here than yours in the USA. Also our roundabouts tend to be a big hazard.
Personally I find that although I am registered as a deaf person and rely on two hearing aids, I still have hearing for sounds so things like a motorbike or farmers tractor near to me can be terrifyingly loud when amplified through my two hearing aids. ANd the sirens on emergency vehicles actually cause me pain! I need to wear the aids because of understanding speech as my severe hearing loss is in the middle frequency range. Do you - and other readers of this thread - also have problems with wind noise amplified through your hearing aids?

Quote:

John H Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
SneakerNet
My IQ: 12

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I didn't have any problem at all with cycling cuz I packed my bike with 12 Ga shot gun, UZI, 44 Magnum, Winchester 30 explitly exposed all around the bike. No one ever get near me. They really respect me.
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Benttriker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been there - done that, had a bad crash a few years ago - street hazard that took me down. The worst part was the people who helped didn't know I couldn't hear them. The crash knocked me out. So, I started looking for a solution.

I found a terrific sign option at DeafExpo when it came to Portland, OR. Here is the website so you can order online -- DeafBikeSigns.. I modified the one that says "DEAF" with velcro on the back, and then I have companion velcro pieces for various activities I do, so I can switch it onto clothing, coats, etc. I have an armband I made for running, etc. I have a permanent velcro strip for the back of my bike helmet.

Please be where drivers expect to see you - we have a lot of bikers here in Portland, and it always freaks me out when I find someone riding in a not safe fashion. I can handle narrow roads and the cars slow down to accommodate cyclists until they can pass safely, but when someone is coming towards an on-coming car there is just no time to react. If I have to go against traffic, I get off and become a pedestrian. That way everyone wins and I stay safe!
Benttriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
fstruwig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at Backtracker

These guys developed a bicycle radar, that gives cyclists a sixth sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhq_Zt-nkPM

They're crowdfunding it here: Backtracker by iKubu - Dragon Innovation
fstruwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #21
rockin'robin

Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerNet View Post
Well, I didn't have any problem at all with cycling cuz I packed my bike with 12 Ga shot gun, UZI, 44 Magnum, Winchester 30 explitly exposed all around the bike. No one ever get near me. They really respect me.
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Liked 340 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:

I myself ride a bicycle in the city of Chicago, and what I do is I learn which routes are the safest, and which aren't, and adjust accordingly. Now, if I need to get around a car, I look over my shoulder (after making sure I have enough time to do so first), and if it's safe enough to get around, I do it quickly. I also keep an eye out for construction, too, as that'll force you to adjust. It also helps to know about road closures and events that closes your local streets.
ChicagoBlue2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #23
whatdidyousay!

Liked 183 Times in 148 Posts
Quote:
Mirrors, yes, why didn't I think of that! Great idea! Bike trails are all good, but I also like to get from 'a' to 'b' on my bike which requires me to ride on the roads.

radioman, I have never thought of riding against the traffic either, strange as it feels to consider it, it does make sense.

I think I will start with mirrors. Thank you for your responses!
If you do ride against the traffic you needs to be careful about blind spots in the road . You'll not be able to see the car until it right on top of you. It does not made sense at all, car will be forces to get into on coming traffic to avoid hitting you. I seen this happen a number of times and I had to do this too b/c someone was riding against the traffic and they where in a blind spot. The person was lucky I do not speed.
whatdidyousay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #24
DeafDucky

Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Seems to me that whether or not a bicyclist rides with or against traffic many times a car is forced to move over to give enough room for the bicyclist and may have to pass in the opposite direction lane if there are no bike lanes. I've seen this often and also have had to do it.

Happens both ways. Best thing to do is be aware of surroundings and be sure to keep eyes moving... whether or not in a familiar "tried and true" route or if going somewhere when you don't have the time to check every detail. . Oh and helmet and protective gear!
DeafDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
Nothingless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Nothingless
I've always rode against traffic, it just makes sense. I've had hearing bycilcist bitch about this and that, but I don't treat my bike like a car, I expect to get places slower, I don't expect anyone to see me and I always yeild to cars. If being HOH has taught me anything its to keep my eyes open and rely on myself and my safeguards.

I must have drove the Portland biker nazis insane.

At John H N, you have to register as deaf/HOH? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app
Nothingless is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #26
Jane B.

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
In many states it is illegal to ride against traffic! And it gives you both (the bike rider & car) less time to react to each other. There are rear view mirrors available for both handlebars and helmets. At least some PBS TV stations are running a program Pedal America about bike riding in different American cities. They also give maintenance and safety tips.
Jane B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #27
MattB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode against traffic too as a teen in high school when I'd ride for an hour or so to visit a friend. I understand why it's encouraged to ride with traffic, but it felt like giving up control to the drivers and I didn't want to do that. I liked feeling a bit more control while riding against traffic. At least then I could dodge or jump off my bike if needed.

Probably wasn't a good idea to have earphones in listening to my Walkman at full blast, though. Oh, and pedaling with no hands on the handlebars to show off and freak out car drivers. Hmm, I really was a punk back then.
Unread 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #28
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDucky View Post
Seems to me that whether or not a bicyclist rides with or against traffic many times a car is forced to move over to give enough room for the bicyclist and may have to pass in the opposite direction lane if there are no bike lanes. I've seen this often and also have had to do it.

Happens both ways. Best thing to do is be aware of surroundings and be sure to keep eyes moving... whether or not in a familiar "tried and true" route or if going somewhere when you don't have the time to check every detail. . Oh and helmet and protective gear!
I know a woman that had a friend that was out jogging with her mother.
The two women where jogging against the traffic and the daughter sprit ahead of her mother , and the daughter got into a blind spot and a driver going around the bend did not see the woman and she was killed instantly . The mother found her daughter dead .
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
ChicagoBlue2
Veteran Traveler

Liked 340 Times in 222 Posts
Oh, yeah. One other thing-- don't ever carry a heavy bag with you unless you're used to it. I do it a lot, but only because I'm used to it, and can handle it. If you're unable to handle heavy bags, then you should not do so.
ChicagoBlue2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #30
whatdidyousay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
In many states it is illegal to ride against traffic! And it gives you both (the bike rider & car) less time to react to each other. There are rear view mirrors available for both handlebars and helmets. At least some PBS TV stations are running a program Pedal America about bike riding in different American cities. They also give maintenance and safety tips.
Bike Law | MassBike

In my state you have to follow the traffic laws so you can't ride a bike against the traffic.