AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Personal Finances
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Wife's SSD Cut Off

This morning, I came to discover in great shock that my wife's SSD has been stopped.

Yesterday, I noticed her SSD wasn't automatically deposited as it usually does every 3rd of the month.

This morning I checked again and it still wasn't there. So I got on VP and called to inquire what's going on with her SSD. Come to find out, they stopped her SSD because of her overpayment history.

10 years ago, her previous husband who is a wife beater, would not allow my wife to report her income and job gain under threat of being beaten if she did, because he wanted all of the money that he could get his hands on. This resulted in overpayment. SSA finds out about it later and is making my wife repay the overpayment as a result on account of her ex-husband controlling her finaces.

My wife is a double amputee and has been since she was 15 years old. She was born with one leg and lost her left and only leg to bone cancer. She's been wheelchair ridden since then.

2 years ago, her health began on a decline when she suffered a congestive heart failure, respiratory arrest, renal failure and a stroke. She's been hospitalized for a year. She came home last year on May 13th. She's permanently bedridden. She goes on dialysis 3 times a week and is transported by ambulance (as of this winter for safety reason because electric wheelchairs don't navigate well on snow. Otherwise, during warm months, she takes a van via transportation company to the renal center).

We're facing a possible loss of our home as a result. I am currently unemployed and am drawing unemployment vouchers which ends in May of this year. I was let go because my boss felt uncomfortable with the idea that I may be caring for my wife more often than working, I asked to work part time while I make the transition to help get my wife settled after coming home from the hospital and looking for in-home nursing care so I can go back to work full time. he let me go instead on the same day my wife came home. Thanks, jerk!!

I've already contacted the SSD attorney's office and not heard back yet from them. I also contacted my wife's doctor to obtain medical documentation on my wife's current medical condition for me to take to the SSA office to show proof of 100% disability.

For the past 10 years, my wife agreed to allow SSA to take out $50 a month out of her SSD to repay the overpayment, also due to the fact of lack of proof that her ex-husband put her under duress for disallowing her to report her income and job gain. This went on for 10 years and for some reason, SSA is now dissatisfied with her monthly repayment and is now withholding her entire amount until 2013 when it can then resume sending her SSD.

I will try and get this mess resolved. But at this point, excuse my french, we're ****ed.

Yiz

yizuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Rio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I sure hope it can all get worked out with documentation of your wifes' medical condition.

Ps.103:12 He washes our sins away into the ocean
Brady's back

Proverbs 17:9
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends

Last edited by Rio; 03-04-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's not nice for them to do that to you and your wife. This should be fixed.
I am sorry to hear what has happened

Alldeaf.com Official Meet II - date updated!
Follow the world with JClarke blog
JClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I'm really sorry. I hope you can get it resolved.
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh Jeez! Hope you figured out!

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 169 Times in 81 Posts
I'm very sorry about your situation. I hope you can get it resolved. My prayers are with you and your wife.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Frisky Feline

Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yizuman View Post
This morning, I came to discover in great shock that my wife's SSD has been stopped.

Yesterday, I noticed her SSD wasn't automatically deposited as it usually does every 3rd of the month.

This morning I checked again and it still wasn't there. So I got on VP and called to inquire what's going on with her SSD. Come to find out, they stopped her SSD because of her overpayment history.

10 years ago, her previous husband who is a wife beater, would not allow my wife to report her income and job gain under threat of being beaten if she did, because he wanted all of the money that he could get his hands on. This resulted in overpayment. SSA finds out about it later and is making my wife repay the overpayment as a result on account of her ex-husband controlling her finaces.

My wife is a double amputee and has been since she was 15 years old. She was born with one leg and lost her left and only leg to bone cancer. She's been wheelchair ridden since then.

2 years ago, her health began on a decline when she suffered a congestive heart failure, respiratory arrest, renal failure and a stroke. She's been hospitalized for a year. She came home last year on May 13th. She's permanently bedridden. She goes on dialysis 3 times a week and is transported by ambulance (as of this winter for safety reason because electric wheelchairs don't navigate well on snow. Otherwise, during warm months, she takes a van via transportation company to the renal center).

We're facing a possible loss of our home as a result. I am currently unemployed and am drawing unemployment vouchers which ends in May of this year. I was let go because my boss felt uncomfortable with the idea that I may be caring for my wife more often than working, I asked to work part time while I make the transition to help get my wife settled after coming home from the hospital and looking for in-home nursing care so I can go back to work full time. he let me go instead on the same day my wife came home. Thanks, jerk!!

I've already contacted the SSD attorney's office and not heard back yet from them. I also contacted my wife's doctor to obtain medical documentation on my wife's current medical condition for me to take to the SSA office to show proof of 100% disability.

For the past 10 years, my wife agreed to allow SSA to take out $50 a month out of her SSD to repay the overpayment, also due to the fact of lack of proof that her ex-husband put her under duress for disallowing her to report her income and job gain. This went on for 10 years and for some reason, SSA is now dissatisfied with her monthly repayment and is now withholding her entire amount until 2013 when it can then resume sending her SSD.

I will try and get this mess resolved. But at this point, excuse my french, we're ****ed.

Yiz
I wonder if you know you can request for a waiver form. If you haven't done it more than a year. I thought if i mention it to encourage you to go to your local SSA and ask for a waiver form ssa 632. Have her proof of income resource and yours to list out of your bills with your evidences and everything what is on list. More likely they wouldn't waive the OP however they would be willing to adjust the amount of $ you guys can afford to pay, but sometimes these Claims Representatives can be fair with your situation and sometimes not. =? Keep asking lots of questions like how often can you request a waiver within a year or two years. But, lately, These treasury people can be too harsh about the overpayments.

Hope you will get it straight out soon as much as you contact your SSA. =/
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
rockin'robin

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Was wondering where you have been.....this is terrible news!...Get a legal aid lawer as fast as you can....Don't undy why they are wanting "all" the $$ back immediately....as long as ur paying $50/monthly, that should suffix....something isn't right here!
rockin'robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Wow! I am really sorry about this. That's seriously screwed up!

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
~SG~
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I do hope you can get it resolved.
~SG~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Miss-Delectable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's terrible. She should have a report from a Psychologist who can verify that she was under duress and send it to SSD.

You must appeal and don't give up.

Hope your wife won't become ill over this.
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did she forget to fill out a renewal form and have she renew her address so all mails from the SS will come to that address ? Some states require that.
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you get it straightened out. It terrible for someone with a disability to lose money like that.
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse77 View Post
did she forget to fill out a renewal form and have she renew her address so all mails from the SS will come to that address ? Some states require that.
No, she's live in this same house for 15 years or a little more. She gets a direct deposit into her bank w/o any form of paper check involved. It gets deposited into the bank account automatically each month.

Unread 03-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Request For Waiver Of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate - Form SSA-632-BK

This might help. I haven't been inside an SSA office for a long time. Don't like dealing with security goom-bahs.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #16
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, 8 pages long. That's alot to fill out. Ok I'll try this.

Thanks

Unread 03-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #17
Frisky Feline

Quote:

Thanks
Yes Its several pages. Just collecting all of your paystubs or varies of bills that you guys paid for necessary for your wife's supplies. Just showing how much you guys can afford to pay for your home monthly, electricity bills, grocery and check whatever these questions to ask you to answer them. Be sure to have your bill stubs evidences. Sometimes it helps for them to see why you guys need some $ instead of taking the whole check. =/ I still encourage you to contact SSA today in following up about the ssa 632 form.

Just focus on finding evidences what you guys have than explaining without the proof. It's the best thing is to start with ssa 632 now.
Unread 03-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Frisky Feline

oh, you might need a SSA 561 form as well. Take both SSA 561 and SSA 632 forms and start them now. They usually review the cases that takes about 60 days or longer. Like I said, contact your local ssa asap.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #19
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 days??? That's crazy! We can't wait that long! *sighs*

I'm on the VP right now to ask what information they want me to bring to them in order to get this mess straighten out. Naturally, I've been put on hold.....

What's the link for the SSA 561? Their website is like a huge mess trying to find anything.

Thanks

Unread 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 169 Times in 81 Posts
Does your wife have a social worker at the hospital assigned to her? I know at the hospitals here, a patient can have a social worker assigned who will help the patients obtain and manage various social services, and advocate for them with the various organizations (such as SS, insurance, Medicare, etc.). They know the short cuts and contact points to get things rolling, and can often convince agencies to either hold off on benefit reductions, or get benefits reinstated in a quick manner.

It sounds like you need someone to coordinate all your situations. It can be overwhelming for the average person to handle.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Frisky Feline

Quote:

I'm on the VP right now to ask what information they want me to bring to them in order to get this mess straighten out. Naturally, I've been put on hold.....

What's the link for the SSA 561? Their website is like a huge mess trying to find anything.

Thanks

here it is, REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION - Form SSA-561-U2

I agree. Let's check with your local ssa and have SSA look up at your wifes reocrd to see if it's something not right then they may work on it sooner than later. =?
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Mrs Bucket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on disability for over 10 years now for a multitude of reasons.

I have had two OPs and my monthly payments were reduced to pay off those OPs.

I am surprised the monthly payments were abruptly stopped without any notification letters of some sort or a call too as well.

You're supposed to have received a notification letter advising you of this situation.

Please visit your local office and speak with the case worker ASAP.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Frisky Feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
here it is, REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION - Form SSA-561-U2

I agree. Let's check with your local ssa and have SSA look up at your wifes reocrd to see if it's something not right then they may work on it sooner than later. =?
No need for ssa 561 form from what i learned, so focusing on ssa 632 form and talk to your local SSA about the form.
Unread 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Just Google it--> REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION - Form SSA-561-U2
Unread 03-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #25
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second the ideas of contacting legal aid and the hospital social worker. Wishing you a speedy resolution.
Unread 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm under the impression that SSA won't stop payments while under appeal.

It's been such a long time since I was involved in this kind of thing that I may be mistaken.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just happened to my friend few days also, her SSA stopped pay her and she got upset. She went to SSA office and got it fixed. She will get SSA within 3 to 5 days. SSA already took 200 bucks out of her SSA for last two years. They made mistake with her by withheld $$ so it could be your SSA made mistake also. U need to go there at office and talk to the person to get it straight. I am very sorry and hope u will get it back asap. It happened to many people I know.
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #28
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Go to see Disability Law Center in your state immediately
Kalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
VamPyroX
bloody phreak from hell

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to VamPyroX Send a message via AIM to VamPyroX Send a message via Yahoo to VamPyroX
Ouch, that sucks.

They should have made her ex-husband pay it off and not her.
Unread 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPyroX View Post
Ouch, that sucks.

They should have made her ex-husband pay it off and not her.
I agree and he does owe close to 50k in child support payment that he never paid since their divorce. That's money there that could resolve all of the problems regarding the mess he put my wife into in the first place.

Yiz