All Deaf Cheer team!

lovezebras

Reaction score
So, I Just wanted to share that at one of the competitions there was an All Deaf cheerleading team from one of the nearby Deaf schools in my province. I was floored! I saw them on the practice mats and was very confused as to why they had no music at first and why they were making hang gestures and then I clued in and noticed it was ASL (they did their whole cheer in ASL) and then there music started. I guess since they can't hear the music and they were a very small team that they decided it would be easier to go into the special needs non-compete division. They did very well considering and were off counts for some parts..which is totally understandable! I e-mailed someone from the school and asked to speak to the coaches to commend their girls and one guy lol on a job well done and maybe give them some tips on making it a bit easier for them to actually compete. They also don't have proper uniforms so I kinda wanna see if I can find them a sponsor to get nice uniforms made :)

That's a good cause. I was a little afraid to open this thread at first as I thought you wanted to organize us into a team. :P

:lol: I thought the same as Botts. I thought the thread was going to be about having a AD cheer team. LOL!

wow, that's sweet of you. Did you talk to any of the girls?

bahaha no don't worry I won't make you guys be a cheer team...would be pretty hard to coordinate practices now wouldn't it lol

and no I didn't shel:( I was with my girls trying to get them organized and make up on etc (I coach one of the junior teams from our gym) and I was a bit scared to, even though I know the would have been very nice, because they were VERY fluent in ASL and I am SO not! lol But what was really nice was that before they came out on the floor the announcer told the whole centre that the team coming out next had a special story and that instead of clapping normally that we should all clap in ASL so he taught everyone how to clap in ASL and they asked the coaches how to say they're team name i guess mascot so when they got the trophy everyone clapped in ASL and "announced" their team name which I thought was really nice! Everyone looked at me when the said the whole team was Deaf

How cool, how very very cool. That would be nice to sponsor a team like that. wonder what the costs would be. maybe you could help us understand that part Alicia. What age groupie also?

Awesome, it would be great for you to meet some of them and learn a little bit from them while you feel that you want to organize etc with them. Hope you will get through them soon. keep us posted.

Well uniforms can sometimes be around 100-200ish each usually high school ones are cheaper though since they are less flashy than the one we use in all start cheerleading...and there were maybe 14 or 15 of girls and one guy...I am sure they could get a full team and do some more cool stuff maybe some people are just scared they can't do it cuz it's a heavy "hearing" sport usually cuz u rely on the music AND the counts. That's why I was so surprised yesterday that they did so well with not being able to really hear their own music:)

Well uniforms can sometimes be around 100-200ish each usually high school ones are cheaper though since they are less flashy than the one we use in all start cheerleading...and there were maybe 14 or 15 of girls and one guy...I am sure they could get a full team and do some more cool stuff maybe some people are just scared they can't do it cuz it's a heavy "hearing" sport usually cuz u rely on the music AND the counts. That's why I was so surprised yesterday that they did so well with not being able to really hear their own music:)

Mmmm.. Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind had a cheer team that went to nationals and nabbed the 2nd place medal. It was pretty awesome.

Alicia - You could start a fundraising thing on AD.com have everyone here contribute. Just an idea.

It's pretty easy to start a fundraiser here.. Maybe I can spearhead it?

I'll also look into getting a non-profit organization set up so that way it will be tax deductible, and avoid legalities.

Just a thought.

My brother was on the Gallaudet cheerleading team and when they did competitions, I was so impressed because I was so used to watching my best friend (who is deaf also) perform on a hearing cheerleading team during high school and college and I thought you had to be "hearing" or like "hearing" to be able to compete but when I watched my brother and his teammates, my old views were squashed right there. They proved me wrong.

Ya it was truly amazing. I need to get in contact with the coach first before I want to start any fundraising for the cause just in case it was a one time thing which I hope it isn't and I think they should for sure go to nationals if they can since there is a lot of time til then:) It's in May! I have done numerous fundraisers before I am the fundraiser coordinator as well for my cheer team I am on now:) So I will let you guys know!! Thanks so much! I hope I can make this a better experience for them!

Ya it was truly amazing. I need to get in contact with the coach first before I want to start any fundraising for the cause just in case it was a one time thing which I hope it isn't and I think they should for sure go to nationals if they can since there is a lot of time til then:) It's in May! I have done numerous fundraisers before I am the fundraiser coordinator as well for my cheer team I am on now:) So I will let you guys know!! Thanks so much! I hope I can make this a better experience for them!

that's sooo cool!! I always wanted to be a cheerleader in school but there was no cheer teams here. 2 years after I left school, schools around the borough started setting up cheerleading teams

That's awesome, Alicia!! Let us know how many sponsors you get for them, 'cause I'm sure you'll get a lot of help for them!

A-L-I-C-I-A lol :P I can't cheer, I can't dance! But I can jump! :wave:

alica, I am curious how many deaf cheers are out there you saw? I was cheerleading years ago and it was small number of us. of course it wasn't WOW. LOL!

alica, I am curious how many deaf cheers are out there you saw? I was cheerleading years ago and it was small number of us. of course it wasn't WOW. LOL!

If my memory serves correctly, you used to be one of Gally cheerleading squad members right?

If my memory serves correctly, you used to be one of Gally cheerleading squad members right?

LOL. nope I failed during my freshman year of tryout for cheers after one year of no sports and was a prep student. :giggle: I tried to do cartwheel and all of a sudden, i lost my control that my arms won't hold anymore and crashed myself landed on the court in front of the judges and many tryout girls. :o It was my fault that i didn't sleep early the day before and partied all night. same thing with the softball tryout i failed too. ouchie.

The ones on the team this past weekend there was 15 or so on the team i know in out gym there are two of us who wear hearing aids

bahaha no don't worry I won't make you guys be a cheer team...would be pretty hard to coordinate practices now wouldn't it lol

I would totally learn participate in an AD cheer team! You could teach us a routine and we could upload videos on youtube and then someone could sync them together. :hmm:

Keep us up to date Alicia!!!

So, I Just wanted to share that at one of the competitions there was an All Deaf cheerleading team from one of the nearby Deaf schools in my province. I was floored! I saw them on the practice mats and was very confused as to why they had no music at first and why they were making hang gestures and then I clued in and noticed it was ASL (they did their whole cheer in ASL) and then there music started. I guess since they can't hear the music and they were a very small team that they decided it would be easier to go into the special needs non-compete division. They did very well considering and were off counts for some parts..which is totally understandable! I e-mailed someone from the school and asked to speak to the coaches to commend their girls and one guy lol on a job well done and maybe give them some tips on making it a bit easier for them to actually compete. They also don't have proper uniforms so I kinda wanna see if I can find them a sponsor to get nice uniforms made :)

How many cheerleaders were there on the team?

The ones on the team this past weekend there was 15 or so on the team i know in out gym there are two of us who wear hearing aids

When you say 15 or so does that mean age or number of them on the team?

I might make a contribution.

Back