AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Products & Technologies > Relay Services
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FBI Warrants against two VRS companies and other companies

Ed’s Telecom Alert FBI Warrants and Warning

FYI: it is interesting to see how those companies have operated in alleged illegal activities.

Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
diehardbiker

Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Please do not confuse between VRS and TRS, this fraud is for TRS not VRS. TRS stands for Text Relay Service, while VRS stands for Video Relay Service.

Please remember, IPrelay falls under TRS not VRS. The IPrelay is the easiest tool for any scammers scam innocent hearing victims.

It does not hit VRS much because most scammers do not know sign language, resulting harder for them to use VRS than IPrelay. That is why I stick with VRS because of this.

DHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
Ed’s Telecom Alert FBI Warrants and Warning

FYI: it is interesting to see how those companies have operated in alleged illegal activities.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Dennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Dennis
Did you read the two links to ICSD and Hawkins? They are SPECIFICALLY alleging VRS abuse, not TRS/IP. I think the parts about "interpreters" "VI" and "privacy screen" make it quite apparent it's VRS.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
diehardbiker

Gee! Your right, I overlooked these two links. Thanks for pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Did you read the two links to ICSD and Hawkins? They are SPECIFICALLY alleging VRS abuse, not TRS/IP. I think the parts about "interpreters" "VI" and "privacy screen" make it quite apparent it's VRS.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
TechBill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From reading the warrant ..

It seem to me that ...

It is VRS companies cheating FCC by abusing using "Run-calls" methods

The warrant claimed that VRS companies did was hire people to call their VRS and put them on hold using private screen or ask VRS to call recording phone numbers that have a long recording to run up minutes.

And people to call VRS to run up minutes get paid 12 or 20 dollar an hour by VRS companies so VRS can bill to FCC per minutes to make a profit.

They said VRS started billing FCC about 10 million dollar then suddenly the bills jumped to 51 million dollar so they became suspectous and start invesagating and found that they were running up minutes with worthless calls or hiring outside people to call their VRS and run up minutes to have it on log to turn in for billing.

TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
qwerty123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Please do not confuse between VRS and TRS, this fraud is for TRS not VRS. TRS stands for Text Relay Service, while VRS stands for Video Relay Service.
TRS telecommunicatiosn relay service mean any relay service like tty speech video ip etc not just text

Telecommunications Relay Services
qwerty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post

Please remember, IPrelay falls under TRS not VRS. The IPrelay is the easiest tool for any scammers scam innocent hearing victims.

It does not hit VRS much because most scammers do not know sign language, resulting harder for them to use VRS than IPrelay. That is why I stick with VRS because of this.

DHB
I did not get confused. I read the criminal complaints which were linked with PDF so I know what I have done.
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Correct
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
From reading the warrant ..

It seem to me that ...

It is VRS companies cheating FCC by abusing using "Run-calls" methods

The warrant claimed that VRS companies did was hire people to call their VRS and put them on hold using private screen or ask VRS to call recording phone numbers that have a long recording to run up minutes.

And people to call VRS to run up minutes get paid 12 or 20 dollar an hour by VRS companies so VRS can bill to FCC per minutes to make a profit.

They said VRS started billing FCC about 10 million dollar then suddenly the bills jumped to 51 million dollar so they became suspectous and start invesagating and found that they were running up minutes with worthless calls or hiring outside people to call their VRS and run up minutes to have it on log to turn in for billing.

You are basically right.
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow *shake head*

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
diehardbiker

I overlooked two links, of course your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
I did not get confused. I read the criminal complaints which were linked with PDF so I know what I have done.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
diehardbiker

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
TRS telecommunicatiosn relay service mean any relay service like tty speech video ip etc not just text

Telecommunications Relay Services

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
diehardbiker

After re-read the whole document, diguesting...

What it means is that one of these scumbag VRS terp agreed to get a call from another country, then leave it as "Park" with privacy mode enabled which results generating the minutes on call from FCC.

This kind of abuse should never be tolerated.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
darkage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
I was going to say no matter what kind of equipment like TTY, TDD, VP, text message, IM but I found qwerty123's first message.
Telecommuncation Relay is use any devices. Just communcation between you and your relay service.

Yes, I agree with qwerty123.

I seem that Hawkins is fraud???? NO TIME FOR ME TO READ. I have to go to see doctor for my heart (not want happen like Billy Mays) at 11am.
Let you read this information....
http://www.edsalert.com/wp-content/u...lcomplaint.pdf
darkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Mrs Bucket

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is where I do need to state my need to type instead of sign to Viable operators and other VRS operators when they won't sign for me. Some of them will disconnect & I have to call them back, explain to them I'm not able to view 3D being DeafBlind.

They will state FCC regulations and I tell them that there leaves a margin for human error.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #16
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Story from Maryland newspaper is scary that FBI had visited Viable VRS Headquarters.

Feds probe Rockville video company
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
chazlcom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Viable

Viable is company 2 in the FBI warrant application. Company 1 is CAC out of Flint, Michigan.

Thanks for the article on Viable. Not much has been released on VRS fraud, but I hear a number of VIs (or CAs, or VRS interpreters, whatever you want to call them) have been served with subpoenas.

Just be certain that this whole situation will get much worse before it gets better.
chazlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazlcom View Post
Viable is company 2 in the FBI warrant application. Company 1 is CAC out of Flint, Michigan.

Thanks for the article on Viable. Not much has been released on VRS fraud, but I hear a number of VIs (or CAs, or VRS interpreters, whatever you want to call them) have been served with subpoenas.

Just be certain that this whole situation will get much worse before it gets better.

What surprised me is Viable is not certified as a VRS company, but still they are able to operate. If the VRS company is not certified, then they should not operate as a VRS company. period. That is my opinion.
Unread 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
PowerON

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
I'm not familiar with both VRS companies. Wow, they're sure in trouble.
Unread 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some rumor said FCC had found that Viable VRS minutes were over than limit. They may cut them. Not sure.
Unread 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #21
RedWolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also there was concerns about Swat calls using TRS as well...

FOXNews.com - Prank 911 Calls Send SWAT Teams to Unsuspecting Homes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

But good news they already caught the guy who did the Swat Prank calls for three years!

Local News | Mukilteo teen gets 3 years for prank SWAT call | Seattle Times Newspaper

I think those are another reason why TRS is being investigated, I am not sure what they are investigating but that's what I think they are doing right now...

RedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
TerpCoda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diehardbiker - you said: "After re-read the whole document, diguesting...

What it means is that one of these scumbag VRS terp agreed to get a call from another country, then leave it as "Park" with privacy mode enabled which results generating the minutes on call from FCC.

This kind of abuse should never be tolerated. "

You are right, this kind of abuse should never be tolerated, but you are pointing your finger at the wrong person. You assume it is the "scumbag VRS interpreter" as you put it, who is to blame. As an employee, we have no choice in what kind of calls we interpret. We are not VRS Police, we cannot decide which calls we want to or don't want to interpret. We have NO IDEA what kind of call is coming in when our phone rings.
Your finger should be pointed at the Management of the VRS company, who organized and planned these fraudulent calls...these managers told their VRS interpreters to go ahead and process these FAKE calls. You should be angry with the Owners and Management who PAID deaf people to call in and INTENTIONALLY defraud the government. Your finger should be pointed at the Deaf people who accepted the offer to be paid to make multiple bogus VRS calls just to increase minutes for Viable. Shame on them! THEY make this look bad, not the VRS interpreters who finally stood up for what was right.

Viable and CAC have been doing this for at least 5 years. I was an employee at another company that worked with CAC for a brief period. We had the same calls there.
Yes, Viable/CAC PAID deaf people to call in and leave running calls for many hours at a time. Some of those deaf callers even had more than one VP in their home, and VIs could see several calls running at the same time. Yes, Viable/CAC told these deaf people to tell the VRS interpreters "you don't have to interpret, put on privacy screen and go get coffee or something..." And Viable/CAC told their interpreters to go ahead and process these bogus calls.

So who is the REAL scumbag?
TerpCoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
diehardbiker

Im just saying in general, what it means I have no idea who this person have committed crime. Your right it is possible the management did, or the management ask terp to do them favor, can it happen? You can bet on it.

I consider everybody at this point not guilty, that is I rather wait until the judgement points to specific person or group then I would call em scumbags.

The only concern that I have is that FCC may increase scrutiny against all TRS providers which can decrease quality and increase the costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpCoda View Post
Diehardbiker - you said: "After re-read the whole document, diguesting...

This kind of abuse should never be tolerated. "

You are right, this kind of abuse should never be tolerated, but you are pointing your finger at the wrong person. You assume it is the "scumbag VRS interpreter" as you put it, who is to blame. As an employee, we have no choice in what kind of calls we interpret. We are not VRS Police, we cannot decide which calls we want to or don't want to interpret. We have NO IDEA what kind of call is coming in when our phone rings.
Your finger should be pointed at the Management of the VRS company, who organized and planned these fraudulent calls...these managers told their VRS interpreters to go ahead and process these FAKE calls. You should be angry with the Owners and Management who PAID deaf people to call in and INTENTIONALLY defraud the government. Your finger should be pointed at the Deaf people who accepted the offer to be paid to make multiple bogus VRS calls just to increase minutes for Viable. Shame on them! THEY make this look bad, not the VRS interpreters who finally stood up for what was right.

Viable and CAC have been doing this for at least 5 years. I was an employee at another company that worked with CAC for a brief period. We had the same calls there.
Yes, Viable/CAC PAID deaf people to call in and leave running calls for many hours at a time. Some of those deaf callers even had more than one VP in their home, and VIs could see several calls running at the same time. Yes, Viable/CAC told these deaf people to tell the VRS interpreters "you don't have to interpret, put on privacy screen and go get coffee or something..." And Viable/CAC told their interpreters to go ahead and process these bogus calls.

So who is the REAL scumbag?

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
yizuman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Sorenson VRS on the hit list in this warrant?

yizuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
PowerON

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
From what I hear that Sorenson is also in trouble on something....
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
From what I hear that Sorenson is also in trouble on something....
Like what ?
Unread 07-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #27
PowerON

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
Like what ?
there is no specs on what FBI been spy on Sorenson.
Unread 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #28
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
there is no specs on what FBI been spy on Sorenson.
Mr White Spy as FBI vs Mr. Black Spy as Sorenson.
Unread 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
scottw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tired to hear about FBI. Who fault. I don't think VRS company, or something. NO idea!
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #30
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The FCC has very strict rules regarding ASA. ASA means “Average Speed of Answer.” This is the amount of time it takes for our system to “answer” a call that comes in. VRS companies do not want to call VRS and have to wait, wait, and wait for the VI to come on the screen FCC put in rules that all calls have to be answered in certain amount of time. FCC fine any VRS company for being slow to answer calls within ASA established time limits.

If you can wait VI to answer call that comes in for five minutes or over, must hang up.