AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 03-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Etoile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Telecoil mode with Blackberry Curve

Has anybody successfully used the telecoil mode with a Blackberry Curve? I just had the Telecoil program added to my HA's recently so I can use it with neckloops at performances. I normally use my Streamer to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, but I figured I had the Telecoil mode now, so I would try it with my phone. I set the Curve on "hearing aid mode" but it didn't seem to do anything. I am a pretty new HA user, about a year now, so I guess I don't know what I am supposed to hear? Mostly it sounded like some buzzing in my ears and I couldn't hear the phone at all. Do I need to plug a neckloop into the phone to use it with Telecoil?

edit: Just read this thread and it looks like I would need a neckloop. Oh well! I thought the phone itself would modify its output. Guess I will just keep using my Bluetooth Streamer for phone use.
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
lovezebras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing but haven't noticed a difference either...
lovezebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
GarnetTigerMom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoile View Post
Has anybody successfully used the telecoil mode with a Blackberry Curve? I just had the Telecoil program added to my HA's recently so I can use it with neckloops at performances. I normally use my Streamer to connect to my phone via Bluetooth, but I figured I had the Telecoil mode now, so I would try it with my phone. I set the Curve on "hearing aid mode" but it didn't seem to do anything. I am a pretty new HA user, about a year now, so I guess I don't know what I am supposed to hear? Mostly it sounded like some buzzing in my ears and I couldn't hear the phone at all. Do I need to plug a neckloop into the phone to use it with Telecoil?

edit: Just read this thread and it looks like I would need a neckloop. Oh well! I thought the phone itself would modify its output. Guess I will just keep using my Bluetooth Streamer for phone use.

I did try the same thing using my tele coil to my black berry cruve pager for phone but it seems it only work with music and viedo instead of the phone for blue tooth. Strange, eh?

GarnetTigerMom

"The rain may be falling hard outside,
But your smile makes it all alright.
I'm so glad that you're my friend.
I know our friendship will never end."
-- Robert Alan
GarnetTigerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
candybrowneyes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to candybrowneyes
I have the curve as well and my t-coil wont connect to it either. My audi says its because the magnet isn't strong enough I guess?
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
RichardDeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since curve is "candy bar" type phone, (not flip-phone), they are typically worse for tcoil usage.. I have Curve 8330 and Storm myself, it seems that Storm does better job, but still can hear that "buzzing" sound due to RF field.

I am looking for good BT ear piece myself, but unforunately they dont make it CI or BTE friendly. I just wished CI have BT built into BTE.

As for the neck-loop, I have tried Artone Bluetooth Neck Loop which is SUCK big time, the field is so weak that CI barely picks it up unless you bring the wire a lot closer to the BTE.

I am looking into the CLA7BT Bluetooth Amplified Neck Loop or CLA7v2 Amplified Neck Loop (non-BT) from tecear.com. If anyone here on AD have tried that, let me know before I spend well-earn money into stuff I havent tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoile View Post

$45 per hour if you want to help.
$75 per hour if you tried to fix it, and failed.
$125 per hour if you called tech support, and didn't fix the issue while making things worse
RichardDeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
RichardDeaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this forum about this neckloop.. NEW ClearSounds CLA7BT Amplified Bluetooth Neckloop - Hearing Aid Forums | Hearing Loss | Hearing Aids

Look like CLA7BT may be good.
$45 per hour if you want to help.
$75 per hour if you tried to fix it, and failed.
$125 per hour if you called tech support, and didn't fix the issue while making things worse
RichardDeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
vallee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to vallee
I have advanced bionics and I love my blackberry curve. I take the magnet off my right CI and talk on my left CI. It sounds better than my LG did.
vallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
mvotz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blackberry telecoil

the blackberry 9330 and others has a telecoil built in and it works great with hearing aids that have a telecoil, if the correct operating system is in the blackberry. I have had 2 blackberrys work perfectly. If you wanted to you could hear it great in telecoil mode if you were standing beside a jet engine.
As soon as the operating system was upgraded by blackberry, the telecoil stopped working. It turns out after a lot of work with blackberry, some of the older operating systems have software to drive their own telecoils and the newer operating systems don't drive their own telecoils. I am told that the new 6 operating system is being worked on. It is very frustrating because the whole reason I bought a blackberry was for the telecoil. I even worked with blackberry in canada on which one to buy. As I say it was great and then stopped working when they upgraded the software. I think they forgot to put the telecoil software driver in their new upgraded software. Verizon and blackberry have been trying to help me and still are but the longer this goes on the lest Verizon is interested.
I am under the impression too that no phone from AT&T can drive a telecoil.
Something about the frequencies they run at. To actually have telecoil abilities the phone must be M4T4 rated. More and more are coming out so don't get a cell phone that is not M4T4 rated.
If you have a blackberry that is M4T4 rated and yours is not working like mine, send them email out the wazoo. Maybe they will find out there are a lot of us who are hard of hearing or deaf who buy cell phones also and having a phone work when you buy it and then stop is not acceptable.
Have a great day and it is nice to find this site on the internet!
mvotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
yvesliet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink

HI,

I would like to know if, by now, you got any good news about you BB? I'm currently looking to buy a new cell. When I asked today about cells with a telecoil, they all looked at me with bare eyes.

How do we find which cells have m4t4?

Thanks
yvesliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
NaidaUP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend couldn't get the curve to work but could with the bold. The bold worked well for her.
Wanting the Phonak Sky Q90 UPs for the Speech in Wind feature
NaidaUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Sarfarigirl2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesliet View Post
HI,

I would like to know if, by now, you got any good news about you BB? I'm currently looking to buy a new cell. When I asked today about cells with a telecoil, they all looked at me with bare eyes.

Thanks
my mother has a Samsung M370 by sprint and it works pretty well for me
here's what it looks like Sprint Samsung M370 feature phone introduced - Mobiletor.com
and yes, it's rated M4/T4 :3
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Anij

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Phonak MAXX BTE - and have had both Curve and Bold blackberry phones - both "say" they should work , but honestly I've had no luck (holding the BB to my BTE) because of interference. Apparently a lot of the newer more expensive HAs are better - but it's really "iffy". Also tcoil mode seems to work MUCH better if you are using a neck loop, or the HATIS type links where you aren't holding the phone to your ear.

I will say that of all the phones I've had - the Nokias were ok, and the Blackberry was still the "best" (meaning the other brands were totally useless).

When getting a new phone I always explain that I'm Hoh, use HAs and that I absolutely NEED to be able to test the TCOIL function before buying it/signing up for anything... if they can't give me a phone to try (placing a few 1min calls to cell and landline) then I walk away.

For me, Rogers Canada has been the best about "making it happen" in terms of finding a working model of various phones for me to try (and figure out how to setup tcoil mode) ... some other companies were rude, and unwilling to do ANYTHING to find out more info about various phones tcoil compatibility etc.

BTW - the BB Bold is rated as M4/T4 ... which "should" work great, but doesn't (with my HA at least).

Ignorance is NOT Bliss
Anij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
lkayne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 8330 Blackberry curve. I cannot hear on it outside or wind blowing. I had previously used flip phones and they were easy for me to hear with my CI. I can't do nothing nor can I find Hearing aid option on the BB options. The Reachout wireless service said they tested my phone and it has T-Coil or HA options on it. No T4M4 rating. I cannot use this phone.
this is the third phone they have sent me and still cannot find option for hearing aid or cochlear implant wearers. Tell me what to do or what to say to them so I can get the correct phone?
lkayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
khar59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDeaf View Post
Since curve is "candy bar" type phone, (not flip-phone), they are typically worse for tcoil usage.. I have Curve 8330 and Storm myself, it seems that Storm does better job, but still can hear that "buzzing" sound due to RF field.

I am looking for good BT ear piece myself, but unforunately they dont make it CI or BTE friendly. I just wished CI have BT built into BTE.

As for the neck-loop, I have tried Artone Bluetooth Neck Loop which is SUCK big time, the field is so weak that CI barely picks it up unless you bring the wire a lot closer to the BTE.

I am looking into the CLA7BT Bluetooth Amplified Neck Loop or CLA7v2 Amplified Neck Loop (non-BT) from tecear.com. If anyone here on AD have tried that, let me know before I spend well-earn money into stuff I havent tried.
Oh yeah I have that neck loop and my mother has another brand that we bought of Amazon and Tecear. I have to have the amplified loops, so does my mother and I use mine for my phone or Ipod at the gym as well. Good for the computers etc plus I went to an electronics store and bought a 10 ft cord so that I can use it for TV's etc when needed.

I look between Tecear and Amazon for pricing.
khar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
khar59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesliet View Post
HI,

Thanks
You ask if they are hearing aid compatible then they may understand. They should have them in the specs and I often research phones online before buying.
khar59 is offline   Reply With Quote