AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > War & Political News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter

Unread 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Doug5

Funny Thing About Rush Limbaugh

Besides being a drug addict and hypocrit, he is a good example why drugs should be legalised.

During his addiction, he was able to function and hold down a job. He even lost some weight. So why is it so important that he not take the pain killers?
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5 View Post
Besides being a drug addict and hypocrit, he is a good example why drugs should be legalised.

During his addiction, he was able to function and hold down a job. He even lost some weight. So why is it so important that he not take the pain killers?
Do you really need to ask that question?
Unread 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Doug5

yes, I do. Explain why he must not take them.
Unread 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
jillio
Banned

Quote:
yes, I do. Explain why he must not take them.
Well, let's see: He obtained them illegally, he was taking approximately 12 times the recommended therapeutic dosage, then there's always liver damage, brain damage, kidney damage, ototoxicity, driving while impaired, making decisions while impaired, and on and on and on.
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Doug5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Well, let's see: He obtained them illegally, he was taking approximately 12 times the recommended therapeutic dosage, then there's always liver damage, brain damage, kidney damage, ototoxicity, driving while impaired, making decisions while impaired, and on and on and on.
Do your research and you will find the opiates are among the safest and least toxic of all the pain medicienes. Being the fat cigar chomping pig, he obviously doesnt care about his health anyways. Where was there the signs of impairment? He was on the radio and people had no idea. So if he doesnt drive why would you care what he does?
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Do your research and you will find the opiates are among the safest and least toxic of all the pain medicienes. Being the fat cigar chomping pig, he obviously doesnt care about his health anyways. Where was there the signs of impairment? He was on the radio and people had no idea. So if he doesnt drive why would you care what he does?
Yes, there were signs of impairment, as well as the illegal activities he engaged in to obtain the drugs. And if you will do your research, you will find that he wasn't ingesting opiates. He was ingesting synthetics that have opiate like properties. And, the synthetic narcotic is not the only ingredient in the medications he was addicted to.

No, people didn't suspect drug abuse from the very man that was ranting about mandatory prison sentences for drug abusers. Kind of hypocritical. They simply attributed his behavior to being a fanatical crazy man.
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Doug5

If drugs were legal, he would not be breaking any laws. Where were the signs of impairment? His radio show never got cancelled.
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Bottesini
Your Name Here!

Quote:
If drugs were legal, he would not be breaking any laws. Where were the signs of impairment? His radio show never got cancelled.
Wrong thinking were the signs. Just like Hitler.
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Berry

Send a message via Skype™ to Berry
Hmmmmmm.......

Quote:

Well, let's see: He obtained them illegally,

If they were legal this might not have happened...

But they were legal and he wanted more than a responsible doctor would prescribe...

So it would have happened anyway.

Quote:

he was taking approximately 12 times the recommended therapeutic dosage, then there's always liver damage, brain damage, kidney damage, ototoxicity,

To my way of thinking this is all self destructive behavior and should be discouraged but I would prefer self destructive behavior were not made criminal.

Quote:

driving while impaired,

No matter how legal drugs are or are not no sane legal system driving under their influence. And it is not exactly like he was in the position of some poor wino trying to make it home in his fifty dollar clunker -- He could have hired a chauffeur.

On his part driving while wacked was as irresponsible as you can get.

But Doug5 has a point:

Quote:

During his addiction, he was able to function and hold down a job.

And Rush Limbaugh is not the only one.

I'm not convinced that firing functional drug addicts and turning them into welfare recipients or criminals to take care of their habits benefits them, their families, or society at large.

I'm not sure what Doug's stand here is, but rethinking societies position on the issue is a good idea in my opinion.

Living life in the sandbox.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
jillio
Banned

Quote:
The drugs Rush was taking are legal. What was illegal was the way he obtained them.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Hmmmmmm.......

If they were legal this might not have happened...

But they were legal and he wanted more than a responsible doctor would prescribe...

So it would have happened anyway.

To my way of thinking this is all self destructive behavior and should be discouraged but I would prefer self destructive behavior were not made criminal.

No matter how legal drugs are or are not no sane legal system driving under their influence. And it is not exactly like he was in the position of some poor wino trying to make it home in his fifty dollar clunker -- He could have hired a chauffeur.

On his part driving while wacked was as irresponsible as you can get.

But Doug5 has a point:

And Rush Limbaugh is not the only one.

I'm not convinced that firing functional drug addicts and turning them into welfare recipients or criminals to take care of their habits benefits them, their families, or society at large.

I'm not sure what Doug's stand here is, but rethinking societies position on the issue is a good idea in my opinion.

Well, actually, addiction is not illegal. So no matter the dose he was taking or the fact that he was physcially and psychological addicted to a mood altering substance, that in and of itself did not constitute illegal activity. Where the illegal part comes in is his buying medications on the street that were not prescribed for him. The fact is, Rush could never have been prosecuted for taking drugs that were prescribed for him, even if he was physically dependent and psychologically addicted. Just as an alcoholic cannot be prosecuted for the simple act of consuming alcohol. However, if the alcoholic gets behind the wheel of a car, he can most certainly be prosecuted for DUI. If the drug addict uses illegal means to obtain a legal narcotic, the same holds true.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Berry

Quote:

he is a good example why drugs should be legalised.

During his addiction, he was able to function and hold down a job.

Lets take a scenario:

If drugs were legal, and drug addicts were not fired simply for their addictions, then what criteria do we use?

Most people do not want the local cop, gun in hand, the ambulance driver patient in the back, or the driver of an 18 wheeler weighing 85,000 pounds going 55 mph down the highway to be on 10 times the recommended dosage of any judgement altering drug stronger than coffee or pepsi.

While I agree with you I would like to see addiction decriminalized some standard does have to be met.

What is your suggestion?

Unread 03-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
jillio
Banned

Exactly. One can legalize the drug. However, one cannot legalize the behaviors that endanger others.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Hear Again

Quote:
Yes, there were signs of impairment, as well as the illegal activities he engaged in to obtain the drugs. And if you will do your research, you will find that he wasn't ingesting opiates. He was ingesting synthetics that have opiate like properties. And, the synthetic narcotic is not the only ingredient in the medications he was addicted to.

No, people didn't suspect drug abuse from the very man that was ranting about mandatory prison sentences for drug abusers. Kind of hypocritical. They simply attributed his behavior to being a fanatical crazy man.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Berry

Quote:

Well, actually, addiction is not illegal. So no matter the dose he was taking or the fact that he was physcially and psychological addicted to a mood altering substance, that in and of itself did not constitute illegal activity. Where the illegal part comes in is his buying medications on the street that were not prescribed for him. The fact is, Rush could never have been prosecuted for taking drugs that were prescribed for him, even if he was physically dependent and psychologically addicted. Just as an alcoholic cannot be prosecuted for the simple act of consuming alcohol. However, if the alcoholic gets behind the wheel of a car, he can most certainly be prosecuted for DUI. If the drug addict uses illegal means to obtain a legal narcotic, the same holds true

I don't think our opinions diverge drastically here.

No matter how legal drugs were DUI would have to be illegal. And he has the financial ability to hire a full time chauffeur.

And I seriously doubt any group of people would accept the idea that pain killers should be dispensed over the counter. Legal or not some type of control by a responsible person who is not going to over dose the addict will be required. Even bar tenders are held responsible if they sell someone too drunk to function more alcohol.

Which means buying then from an unauthorized source would still be illegal.

Unread 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
jillio
Banned

Quote:
I don't think our opinions diverge drastically here.

No matter how legal drugs were DUI would have to be illegal. And he has the financial ability to hire a full time chauffeur.

And I seriously doubt any group of people would accept the idea that pain killers should be dispensed over the counter. Legal or not some type of control by a responsible person who is not going to over dose the addict will be required. Even bar tenders are held responsible if they sell someone too drunk to function more alcohol.

Which means buying then from an unauthorized source would still be illegal.
No, I don't see that our opinions diverge at all. We seem to be on the same page.

Regarding regulation of narcotic painkillers: absolutely they need to be monitored. There are numerous risks associated with their use. That is why they are legal, but only under the direction of a physician who can monitor both the use and the side effects. And, just like bartenders, doctors can be prosecuted for improper prescribing.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Berry

Quote:

No, people didn't suspect drug abuse from the very man that was ranting about mandatory prison sentences for drug abusers.

I'll bet he did not think of himself as being a drug abuser: I bet he thought of the doctor as being a jerk for not providing the medication needed.

But at some point he had to recognize what he had become.

That was the point for him to step forward and say, "I was wrong. Not all drug addicts are criminals. Some, like myself, are victims and should be treated accordingly."

So far I have not seen anywhere where he said anything like this.

Unread 03-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Hear Again

Quote:
That was the point for him to step forward and say, "I was wrong. Not all drug addicts are criminals. Some, like myself, are victims and should be treated accordingly."

I've been listening to Rush for years and he did admit that taking painkillers was wrong. I normally don't defend Rush, but in this instance, I have to because he did apologize and admit his wrongdoing. If you'd like me to find the text of that radio program, I'd be happy to.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
jillio
Banned

Quote:
I'll bet he did not think of himself as being a drug abuser: I bet he thought of the doctor as being a jerk for not providing the medication needed.

But at some point he had to recognize what he had become.

Nor have I seen anything of that nature.

What got Rush in trouble was not just his use of mood altering substances, but the behaviors he engaged in while under the influence. Addictions are usually unrecognized by the addicted until their behavior reaches a point that they are forced into admitting it.

The problem with Rush, is that even after being put in the position of admitting his addiction, and seeking treatment, many of the outrageous behaviors that raised red flags continue. It would make one who is familiar with addictive behaviors, and sobriety to question whether Rush is indeed clean from mood altering substances, or if he has simply gone back to trying to manage his addiction.
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #20
Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post

I've been listening to Rush for years and he did admit that taking painkillers was wrong. I normally don't defend Rush, but in this instance, I have to because he did apologize and admit his wrongdoing. If you'd like me to find the text of that radio program, I'd be happy to

I take your word on it.

I am curious as to how you find the text to any radio program as I might wish to do so some time.

To me the more important part is "What is his stance toward drug addiction today?" Is he still on the mandatory prison sentence for all?

Unread 03-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
Berry

Quote:

The problem with Rush, is that even after being put in the position of admitting his addiction, and seeking treatment, many of the outrageous behaviors that raised red flags continue. It would make one who is familiar with addictive behaviors, and sobriety to question whether Rush is indeed clean from mood altering substances, or if he has simply gone back to trying to manage his addiction

Which is typical addict behavior.

Unread 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #22
Hear Again

Quote:
I take your word on it.

I am curious as to how you find the text to any radio program as I might wish to do so some time.

To me the more important part is "What is his stance toward drug addiction today?" Is he still on the mandatory prison sentence for all?
Rush makes the text of his radio programs available for everyone on the Internet which you can find by doing a Google search.

As for the last 2 questions in your post, I'm curious about that as well.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
jillio
Banned

Rush Limbaugh's Statement On His Drug Addiction

Dateline: 10/10/03

"You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my life. So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication.

"I first started taking prescription painkillers some years ago when my doctor prescribed them to treat post surgical pain following spinal surgery.

"Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful and I continued to have severe pain in my lower back and also in my neck due to herniated discs. I am still experiencing that pain. Rather than opt for additional surgery for these conditions, I chose to treat the pain with prescribed medication. This medication turned out to be highly addictive.

"Over the past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps.

"Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me. The show will continue during this time, of course, with an array of guest hosts you have come to know and respect.

"I am not making any excuses. You know, over the years athletes and celebrities have emerged from treatment centers to great fanfare and praise for conquering great demons. They are said to be great role models and examples for others. Well, I am no role model. I refuse to let anyone think I am doing something great here, when there are people you never hear about, who face long odds and never resort to such escapes. They are the role models. I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem.

"At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete.

"So I will only say that the stories you have read and heard contain inaccuracies and distortions, which I will clear up when I am free to speak about them. "I deeply appreciate all your support over this last tumultuous week. It has sustained me. I ask now for your prayers. I look forward to resuming our excursion into broadcast excellence together."

This is the transcript from his admission on the radio.(I just Googled "Rush Limbaugh drug addiciton.)

However, I think it is also wise to keep in mind that Rush did not feel it necessary to come clean about his addiction until he had an investigation against him in relation to black market drugs, and news reports had already been published.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #24
Hear Again

for providing that transcript, jillio.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
jillio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
for providing that transcript, jillio.
You're welcome.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #26
Berry

I actually sympathize with him and the position he was in. It must be horrible to discover you are so addicted to anything as that. It is one reason I have always refused to take pain medications. They scare the hell out of me.

I remember when I was a kid and the police hauled a man out of our apartment building in handcuffs and my mother saying, "That poor man. He risked his life for his country in the war. Got himself shot. He limps for the rest of his life because they couldn't get medical treatment to him fast enough. All the medics could do was keep him doped up on morphine to keep the pain down. So now he has a bum leg and an addiction and he doesn't even get any sympathy. Doesn't seem like much a reward, does it?"

I don't think all drug addicts are victims, but I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

In this I think Rush Limbaugh should lead the pack.

Unread 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
Hear Again

I take a benzo for my bipolar (Clonazepam) which can be addictive. However, my psychiatrist told me that as long as I'm responsible and take only the dosage required (2-3 pills/day), I should be fine. Besides, I'm taking a very small dose (.5mg) so the chance of becoming addicted is low.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
Dixie
Farting Snowflakes

When a person is prescribed Narcotics for pain management, I do believe in some states you have to go back to your doctor and get a complete checkup and a new prescription. Some doctors will only continue the narcotic pain management for a certain length of time, after that they look into other options such as surgery or therapy and rehabilitation.

Many pharmacies around here will not refill your narcotic pain medication without a doctor's prescription.

The USA Drug here will not even give you over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol without a valid driver's license and you have to sign a form.

I think it is in Washington State or possibly Oregon that you must have a doctor's prescription for medications that contain ephedra or the pharmacies will not give it to you. This includes medicines such as Sudafed, Tylenol Cold, Claritin, and others.
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #29
jillio
Banned

Quote:
I actually sympathize with him and the position he was in. It must be horrible to discover you are so addicted to anything as that. It is one reason I have always refused to take pain medications. They scare the hell out of me.

I remember when I was a kid and the police hauled a man out of our apartment building in handcuffs and my mother saying, "That poor man. He risked his life for his country in the war. Got himself shot. He limps for the rest of his life because they couldn't get medical treatment to him fast enough. All the medics could do was keep him doped up on morphine to keep the pain down. So now he has a bum leg and an addiction and he doesn't even get any sympathy. Doesn't seem like much a reward, does it?"

I don't think all drug addicts are victims, but I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

In this I think Rush Limbaugh should lead the pack.
I'm all for giving addicts the benefit of the doubt. I have often said that addiction in any form is no more than a coping mechanism. A faulty coping mechanism, but a coping mechanism, all the same. Likewise, I am all for treatment, not incarceration, of the addict.

However, when addicts commit illegal acts, they cannot be permitted to use their addiction as justification for illegal or unnacceptable behavior. It is the consequences of that behavior that lead most to recovery.

In addition, I seriously doubt that Rush's problems with substance abuse began and ended with Oxycodone and Hydrocodone. If one checks some of the facts of his biography, it is easy to see the behaviors were present for many, many years, and no doubt included the abuse of other substances.
Unread 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #30
shel90
Audist are not welcome

If Rush was a teacher, he would be fired on the spot.

--- Anonymous