AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Windex good for cleaning eyeglasses?

Yesterday, I saw one of my fellow workers use WINDEX to clean his eyeglasses and I felt like . WTF!

Is it good for cleaning eyeglasses? I always use water to clean my eyeglasses.
Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 104 Times in 64 Posts
I think it is too strong for the plastics in eyeglass lenses. I have a spray bottle of solution that was given to me with glasses.
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Frisky Feline

Liked 83 Times in 57 Posts
i never forget how my dad was so ANAL to take care of his glasses. He assures me to use the special cloth that is used for glasses. ha

i think that is a bad idea because the len has special layers on it and the windex can ruins the len.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
sara1981

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
i would have agree with posts!!!!

i dont think windex not good idea for glasses clean! that not good choice for glasses clean they can damages on lens! but my family never using windex nor whatevers types glasses bottles spray on glasses!

i would chose types spray for glasses because i didnt told my mom about that but i told my grandmother about my plans to get reading glasses this weekend or before.But i can easy to read on computer or reading books,magazines because im almost my eyes got shut-up!

Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always used windex. Hasn't damaged my glasses.

The stuff that the eye glasses place give you is nothing but rubbing alcohol. At least that is what it smells like to me.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post

The stuff that the eye glasses place give you is nothing but rubbing alcohol. At least that is what it smells like to me.
Actually, it can do damages to eyeglasses with coatings on. They also advise against using Windex to clean LCD TV displays for a good reason.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was advised by the optician not to ever use Windex for cleaning the eyeglasses. He advised that the best thing to do is to use a cloth that is designed for cleaning the lens and also to use a solution.

The Windex may be safe for the glass, but don't spray it directly onto eyepieces because you don't want to find out the hard way since it eats the cement that holds the lens elements together. Apply it to lens tissue or cloths before use.
Jolie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
radioman
Premium Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
my wife gets pissed if i try to clean my sunglasses she made for me with windex or my shirt and breath fog or even a napkin. Its not easy living with a wife who works in the eyeglass industry. - so take it from me - If you not around , ill use what i got and havent seen any problems yet otherwise - she can clean it. if she balks at cleaning it , then i'm cleaning it my way, I am not the type to fuss over glasses.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
madison069

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ammonia will damage the layers on glasses with the transition lens. the kind that changes from dark to clear.

Windex contains ammonia, the spray they give you contain alcohol which will clean your glasses and dry fast, while not damaging your lens.
madison069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
mandi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to mandi Send a message via Yahoo to mandi
That is why wal-mart offers lifetime eyeglass cleaning solution whenever I purchased glasses for my kids, I took one or two bottles of them. It is much safer than windex because whenever I see someone using that, the fumes from windex also hurt a bit on their eyes when putting the eyeglasses on! It's best to use water and clean off with soft cloth or use the solution to clean it off and make sure you have cloth to wipe that off with....
mandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recommend using windex on eyeglasses as it can damage it overtime. I never used that to clean them. The best way is to use the lens cleaner or special cloth to clean it. The same lens cleaner that you use to clean camera lens or similar.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Tousi

Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post

It is probably real diluted, tho...
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.. I will take it into consideration. Thanks for the heads up guys!
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Aleser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend against using water all the same, because it can cause stains and build up and just get ucky. Ditto on the windex. Pop over to an eyeglass or camera shop and buy yourself a cleaning kit which will come with a dropper bottle of cleaning solution and a lint-less microfiber cloth to clean the lenses with.. the best option all around, and the bottle and cloth will do you out no more than 5$ and last FOREVER.
"She thinks... she can make people do what she wants or needs, what is right, by the sheer force of her own talent, not by forcing them... she can teach them and persuade them... that they'll catch it from her. This is still faith in their rationality, in the omnipotence of reason. The mistake? Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them."
Aleser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleser View Post
I would recommend against using water all the same, because it can cause stains and build up and just get ucky. Ditto on the windex. Pop over to an eyeglass or camera shop and buy yourself a cleaning kit which will come with a dropper bottle of cleaning solution and a lint-less microfiber cloth to clean the lenses with.. the best option all around, and the bottle and cloth will do you out no more than 5$ and last FOREVER.
Actually, I don't care for the cleaning solutions. I've been rinsing my eyeglasses under water and then wipe it dry with a soft sheet of toilet paper or facial tissue.

Well, if you think about it, the cleaning solution is mostly water too. I rinse my eyeglasses under hot water at least twice a day then wipe it dry and it's smudge-free. Cleaning solutions has never been that great for me. Even with lint-less microfibre cloth. So far, I prefer water to anything else.

It hasn't damaged any pairs of eyeglasses I've had and I've been doing this for a decade.

If your eyeglasses start to build up some sort of fungus/green stains, it's more than likely it is made out of some cheap metal. Especially the tiny screws at ends of the bridge, they can get quite nasty.

I don't buy cheap eyeglasses, and not from Walmart. So I may recommend against using water for these with cheap eyeglasses.
Unread 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
Mistyrose

My eye doc gave me special cloth to clean my glasses
with it so thats what i do...never said anything about not
using Windex or anything like that...didnt know that it would
damage your glasses..wow! Thanks for the warning, though.
Unread 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
dreamsfloatjoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

"Is Windex good for cleaning eyeglasses?"

I don't know if Windex is good for cleaning eye glasses, however, I Love it!

I am a 'Mr Monk' when it comes to keeping my eye glasses, computer and TV screen clean.

Besides, it seems whenever I am in a hurry, I cannot find one of my regular eye glass cleaning tissues thingies.

I believe the professionals are right about not using Windex to clean eye glasses. Oh well.

DreamsFloat Joe - Volunteer Mate & FSI
Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida USA
dreamsfloatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told it is OK to use Windex (the clear one) that it does not contain ammonia in it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you want Windex with no ammonia then get Windex Crystal Rain or auto glass cleaner that don't contain ammonia.

It can find in auto dept at retail store for Windex auto glass cleaner.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
flyingace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used rubbing alcohol and a "flour sack" dishtowel I keep specially for that purpose. It's good for getting greasy smudges off that water won't clean, and it dries fast. I never had a problem, but I don't have the Transitions lenses.
flyingace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
jasin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by royale View Post
yesterday, i saw one of my fellow workers use windex to clean his eyeglasses and i felt like . Wtf!

Is it good for cleaning eyeglasses? I always use water to clean my eyeglasses.
no!
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
moonflower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not good idea due to damage the glasses
moonflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use water since it turned the nose pieces green. I use the eyeglass cleaner and the soft cloth I got when I bought my eyeglasses. No more green nose pieces ever!

“The problem is not that the (deaf) students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen. “- Rev Jesse L. Jackson ( American Civil Rights Activist, Minister)
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
I don't use water since it turned the nose pieces green. I use the eyeglass cleaner and the soft cloth I got when I bought my eyeglasses. No more green nose pieces ever!
eeeeewwww I know what you mean. For me - I clean it with either rubbing alcohol or hydrochloric acid.
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
Banjo
Expelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
That's cheap metal they are using. If you buy it from a store like Walmart, it'll definitely turn green. I bought mine from Costco a couple years ago and they are still shiny silver to this day.
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
zipdisk2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you may use some alternative good glasses cleaners

Here I found a good list of glasses cleaner that we may use. All of them can be found on amazon. I am using glasses spray. it is quite good and I like it.
zipdisk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 225 Times in 114 Posts
I don't use Windex on my prescription glasses. They are plastic lenses that have a "no-glare" coating, and they are Transitions, so I use the optical glass cleaner with a clean cotton cloth.

The non-prescription plastic "cheap-o" reading glasses that I use (different styles for different uses) I can clean with eyeglass cleaner or hot water, and a clean cloth.

On my sunglasses that I wear for lawn care and gardening, I usually rinse them well with tap water before using glass cleaner and cloth. Otherwise, because of dirt on the lenses, they might get scratched.

My bifocal sunglasses that I wear at the beach (and swimming) are plastic, non-prescription, that I wear with Croakies. I rinse them off real good with tap water to remove the salt and sand.
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #28
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
whoa. old thread. well windex is not good for cleaning glasses. it will remove the coating and it isn't good to have your eyes closed to glasses with the chemical in windex.

just give it a spit or fog it up and wipe it with your shirt
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
quirkylibra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the special cloth for glasses and sometimes alcohol swabs.
quirkylibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
SCBassist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SCBassist
Wirelessly posted

Windex contains ammonia, which is very slightly acidic and can dissolve alkali metals, which is what your eyeglass lens coatings are made out of. Although this is very mild, over time it might have a dulling affect. So, the short answer is no, it's not a good way to clean them.

The best methods for cleaning eyeglasses is to use an eyeglass lens cleaner, which contains distilled water and Isopropanol Alcohol used with a lint free microfiber cloth. Alternatively, you can make your own eyeglass cleaner but mixing distilled water bought at your grocery store) and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (bought at your grocery or drugstore) - mix no more than 15% Isopropyl Alcohol to water - that's no more than 1 part alcohol per 10 parts water. Put it in a small spray bottle and you're set.

Last edited by SCBassist; 03-30-2010 at 02:54 PM.
SCBassist is offline   Reply With Quote