Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lawmakers Want to Ban Eyeball Tattoos

Quote:
A new form of body art has Oklahoma lawmakers working to ban the practice before it moves to the state. It's called eyeball tattooing. Even tattoo shops across the metro don't know what would propel someone to do something like this, but they say it's unneeded legislation. Lawmakers argue that it's a public health issue. Some of these images are graphic.

Tattooing, it's a form of body art that's been around for centuries. But it's only been legal in Oklahoma for a couple years. It could soon be illegal for people to tattoo the white part of the eye known as the sclera.

Senate Republican Whip Cliff Branan said, "Kind of a counter culture trend, the same folks may chose to pierce certain body parts, it's kind of the next level up."

Senate Bill 844 has unanimously passed through the Health and Human Services Committee. Oklahoma City Senator Cliff Branan says it was brought to him by the Oklahoma Academy of Opthamology. He says it's becoming more trendy to tattoo eye liner or eye brows, but this goes too far.

"It is completely patently disgusting and crazy to do it. We as a good public health policy we felt it was important to stop that trend before it goes any farther here in the state of Oklahoma," Sen. Branan described.

Doctors say there's a high risk for blindness. Though the practice is still being seen on the east and west coast, it hasn't moved to the Midwest just yet.

Jason King, the Owner of Atomic Lotus Tattoo in Oklahoma City said, "The number of people with actual eyeball tattoos in the United States you can probably count on one hand, so it's not a common practice."

King says passing this bill is a waste of time.

"If you want to risk your eye sight to look like you've got a black eye all the time, that's a great procedure for you, but sane people don't do dumb stuff like that," King explained. "It's people trying to advance a moral agenda and save us from ourselves when the fact is we're smart enough to save ourselves."

The bill will now move to the senate floor trying to permanently prohibit an extreme form of body modification.

"If we can stop this for one person from doing it we've been successful," Senator Branan added.

"Common sense will keep this horrible thing from happening," King concluded.

There is a small room of error for tattooing like this, and we're talking millimeters. Senator Branan says even doctors with many years of experience don't perform these types of procedures.

If the bill passes through the Senate without any amendments, it will go the House of Representatives, and could go into affect within three weeks.
KSBI-TV - Ticker - Lawmakers Want to Ban Eyeball Tattoos

I don't think I'd have the guts to do a tattoo on my eyeballs - after all, I value my eyesight more than anything else.

While I think the proposed law may be a little bit far fetched but apparently the lawmakers felt that it was needed to propose the bill to ban eyeball tattoos just because some people are more than willing to severe their eyesight.
Jolie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Byrdie714
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch.
Byrdie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh gross!!
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
AlleyCat

Liked 103 Times in 55 Posts
Ick.

Enough said.
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Mrs Bucket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jolie said it all.

Your eyesight is the most important thing and why would anyone want to jeopardize it all in the name of art?

Of course, we all know there's the back alley of tattooing. Yikes!
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Dixie
Farting Snowflakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because its banned doesnt mean its not happening. Usually when its banned there's more people doing it. Look at prohibition, look at abortion, its followed a similar pattern.

Theres no need to ban such things and I am completely with Jillio, you have to be completely out of your mind to even consider tattooing your eyes. But if someone wants to sever their eyesight for the sake of body art then that is their choice not mine. Its not my place to decide for them.

With these sorts of things your better off allowing it and being able to regulate it than to ban it completely and the entire practice is unregulated and more often than not, unsanitary.
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Byrdie714
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only that is kind of....disgusting but who in their right mind would hire you if you have a tattoo on your eye?
Byrdie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie714 View Post
Not only that is kind of....disgusting but who in their right mind would hire you if you have a tattoo on your eye?
Precisely and not only that - It can also be distracting enough to see it otherwise.
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured colored contact lenses would be enough. They have different designs contacts.
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
Steel X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Steel X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
Just because its banned doesnt mean its not happening. Usually when its banned there's more people doing it. Look at prohibition, look at abortion, its followed a similar pattern.

Theres no need to ban such things and I am completely with Jillio, you have to be completely out of your mind to even consider tattooing your eyes. But if someone wants to sever their eyesight for the sake of body art then that is their choice not mine. Its not my place to decide for them.

With these sorts of things your better off allowing it and being able to regulate it than to ban it completely and the entire practice is unregulated and more often than not, unsanitary.
True...banning still wont stop eyeball tatoos...same with banning on guns and everything else and they are still there.
Steel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
Frisky Feline

Liked 74 Times in 49 Posts
interesting.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
~SG~
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting I wouldn't want a eyeball tattoos as I value my eyes more than anything.

I bet it would be distracting to see if a person have a glow in the dark eyeball tattoos during at the movie or seeing people walking in the dark with glowed tattoos on their eyeball.
~SG~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouuucchhhh, not the eyes. I won't let anyone touch my eyes!
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Kateweb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Kateweb Send a message via MSN to Kateweb Send a message via Yahoo to Kateweb Send a message via Skype™ to Kateweb
what they don't realize is banning it will make it more popular , If someone wants to modify their body in a way that wont harm others ,and in a way that is not likely to kill or maim it's their own damn business . I have looked in to this via a few articles this form of tattoo is not likly to go wrong if done by someone who is properly trained artist . I don't see the point of it but it's not me that needs to see the point , it's who ever is getting the work done.
Kateweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Maria
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No josey way! I cherish my eyes. My eyes are very important to me than losin' one limb.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 82 Times in 51 Posts
I didn't know what this meant and I googled images of it. I saw a guy with the eyeball dyed neon blue. I thought it was very disgusting.
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Kateweb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Kateweb Send a message via MSN to Kateweb Send a message via Yahoo to Kateweb Send a message via Skype™ to Kateweb
basically the white of the eye it's not bad bme has some good shots ans some not so grose as the neon ones , i saw those as well.
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
sunflowergal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way, I never wanted any eyeball tattoo. That's make me sick to my stomach.
I keep my eyes to see clear.
sunflowergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Kateweb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's your body , I am not saying you have to get one , I find it rather interesting, I would be tempted but I would go for a milder color just to throw the color to be a bit off.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Grummer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateweb View Post
what they don't realize is banning it will make it more popular , If someone wants to modify their body in a way that wont harm others ,and in a way that is not likely to kill or maim it's their own damn business . I have looked in to this via a few articles this form of tattoo is not likly to go wrong if done by someone who is properly trained artist . I don't see the point of it but it's not me that needs to see the point, it's who ever is getting the work done.
i'm with kate on this one, yep for that I agree, it tempts people. they'd say whats eyeball tattooing , oh i never heard of it, its banned? but its cool......

this sort of reaction does happens
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Rio
That's insane and painful to tattoo your eyeballs.

Ps.103:12 He washes our sins away into the ocean
Brady's back

Proverbs 17:9
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
JClarke
AD Veteran

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My eyes are way too valuable.
Alldeaf.com Official Meet II - date updated!
Follow the world with JClarke blog
JClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #23
Christer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I saw on LA:INK in Discovery channel and I saw a guy tattoo in a eye, I was like ugh that's most dare and sick guy I've ever seen!
Christer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #24
Grummer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
it gotta be bound to be in some youtubes
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
Phillips
Lets ride horses!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.. Yes I am very supporting Ban Eyeball tattoos!

My journal!
http://poochie21.blogspot.com/

***Enjoy life today, Yesterday has past and Tomorrow may never come.***
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
purplecatty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen Eyeball Tattoo just few months ago. I watched Extreme Tattoo show and saw the guy had his eyeball tattooed. What they did is put in special blue permanent dye on white area of his eye. He's facing needle just extremely close to his eye and Tattooist told him not to move at all or risk blindness. So the tattooist put dye on guy's eye using syringe with needle on end dying his eye blue. He did it one at a time and planned to have an appointment for next eye.

In fact is that it's the riskiest way to tattoo eyes. Despite guy received warnings from Tattooist, signed agreement form that he cannot sue for accident or blindness cause by dye.

It's not worth it because supposed guy changed his mind and don't want tattooed eye, it'll be his dumb move and may have hard time finding any professional job except Circus or Freakshow. (I bet he can easily obtain any low end jobs such as lawn service helper , burger flipper, stocker (he probably must stay in stockroom at all time, not facing customers) and any jobs that people won't see him.

Remmy that Lizard Man? He too tattooed both of his eye too (I think yellow or red I can't remmy).

Glad that I don't have tattoo at all! Why bother with it. I don't want any tattoo that police or anyone can recognize me if I change my appearance (grow beard, shave head and dress differently)

Catty
purplecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #27
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with banning Eye Tattoos. It can raise issues on damages and lawsuits costing tax payers money! Now if the Tattoo artist has a medical degree in Optometry. A valid MD in eyes. Then I can see he can take the proper measure to do it correctly. Then if damages are done. Malpractice suits can follow.

Freaky though!! I would never do it. I have a hard enough time just putting eye drops in my eyes, or having an eye doctor test my eyes with a puff of air shooting into it!!
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #28
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I agree with banning Eye Tattoos. It can raise issues on damages and lawsuits costing tax payers money! Now if the Tattoo artist has a medical degree in Optometry. A valid MD in eyes. Then I can see he can take the proper measure to do it correctly. Then if damages are done. Malpractice suits can follow.

Freaky though!! I would never do it. I have a hard enough time just putting eye drops in my eyes, or having an eye doctor test my eyes with a puff of air shooting into it!!
Yeah, That's the thing - How many tattoo artists are experienced in optometry? There's not many out there that are specialized in this area.

I have a tattoo on myself and here I'm thinking -- The needle on the skin was a little bit painful (not too bad) but when it comes to have a needle on the eye - It just makes me cringe to think of how the pain would come up afterward. If they make one wrong move and I mean by one very small itty bitty wrong move, that alone can be very fatal. It's scary.
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #29
Mockingbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
I didn't know what this meant and I googled images of it. I saw a guy with the eyeball dyed neon blue. I thought it was very disgusting.
A tribute to Dune perhaps?

I'm more concerned that more of these people will do this thinking "yeah it won't happen to me only wimps and nervous ****s shake/move during the tattoo" then they shake go blind, and then wrongfully leech off of disabilities funds that should go to people who need them.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #30
SnAzZyStyLe2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*shudders*

No thanks.