Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 01-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
discovery channel: deafblind triplets

hi everyone,

for those who may be interested, the discovery channel will be airing a program on wednesday night at 8 pm about zoe, sophie and emma hooker -- the deafblind triplets that you may have read about.

more information can be found at:

Discovery Health :: TV Listings :: Deaf and Blind Triplets

by the way, if you'd like a reminder about this show, type in your e-mail address and click the "submit" button.

i for one am really looking forward to this program! it should be very interesting.
Hear Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Babyblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting!

I love the discovery channel!

Thanks for informing me. I will be sure to watch it.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Nika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Nika Send a message via Yahoo to Nika
I saw it a few months ago. When you see it, let me know. We can discuss it.
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard about them....but haven't see them on TV. Thanks for let me know...I'll set up recording on my DVR! So I can watch it and fast forward those stupid ass commercials!
Unread 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're welcome, everyone.

nika, i would love to discuss this program with you. after i've finished watching it, i'll send you a pm.
Unread 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read them in reader's digest last month but I missed them on TV. They are so interest. it is worth to watch if it will rerun in the future.
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I read them in reader's digest last month but I missed them on TV. They are so interest. it is worth to watch if it will rerun in the future.
it will be shown on january 14th at 8 and 11 pm and january 17th at 1 pm.
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
dreama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope people can discuss it in this thread or better still if anyone could possibly explain what its about for those who don't have a TV that would be very useful for me.

I've read several articles about the Deafblind triplets. I find their case very interesting. Only the last article was published in 2007 so it's already out of date. I'd like to know how they are doing now?
Unread 01-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dreama,

after i've watched the program, i will post my comments about it here.
Unread 01-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I set on recording on Wed at 11 PM...I though of 8 or 9 but nah 11 is fine because what if my son wants to watch cartoon on Nicks or cartoon channel or whatever. So hardly to wait and watch that show on Thursday then we can discuss!
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
Nika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Again View Post
you're welcome, everyone.

nika, i would love to discuss this program with you. after i've finished watching it, i'll send you a pm.
Great! Looking forward to it.
Unread 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
jazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreama View Post
I hope people can discuss it in this thread or better still if anyone could possibly explain what its about for those who don't have a TV that would be very useful for me.

I've read several articles about the Deafblind triplets. I find their case very interesting. Only the last article was published in 2007 so it's already out of date. I'd like to know how they are doing now?
I see, if I can remember one of the girls are still behind in communicate even they have CI. One goes to school and is doing better than other two. I did not have time to read whole thing on Christmas day when I visited my in laws. But I will watch on TV this Wed night with better picture.
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I see, if I can remember one of the girls are still behind in communicate even they have CI. One goes to school and is doing better than other two. I did not have time to read whole thing on Christmas day when I visited my in laws. But I will watch on TV this Wed night with better picture.
i no longer remember which triplet has a ci, but i do know that she was born totally deaf, so that may have something to do with her inability to use her ci for communication. remember, if you are born deaf and blind, a person needs to teach you how to hear with your ci and interpret the sounds around you.
this triplet also has severe developmental delays, so that also plays a part as well. the triplet who is legally blind and has some residual vision is doing better than the other two because she still has sight that she can rely on to some extent.
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #14
dreama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
dreama,

after i've watched the program, i will post my comments about it here.
Thanks hear again.

If I can remember from the articles I read I thought they had all been implanted. They were born blind from ROP but then they lost their hearing sometimes after that due to an averse reaction from a drug they were given.

I think they all have developmental delays. I think Zoe and Emma are the worse. Sophie is the one with useful vision who can manage a little better then the others and make more use out of her CI.

I always wonder how come Sophie managed better? I've heard elsewhere that totally blind can usually manage better with CI since they can use the brain that is normally geared to sight to help them process the information. That's what I've read anyway.
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
dreama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jazzy.
Unread 01-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Thanks hear again.

If I can remember from the articles I read I thought they had all been implanted. They were born blind from ROP but then they lost their hearing sometimes after that due to an averse reaction from a drug they were given.

I think they all have developmental delays. I think Zoe and Emma are the worse. Sophie is the one with useful vision who can manage a little better then the others and make more use out of her CI.

I always wonder how come Sophie managed better? I've heard elsewhere that totally blind can usually manage better with CI since they can use the brain that is normally geared to sight to help them process the information. That's what I've read anyway.
this is only speculation, but i'm guessing that sophie manages better due to her residual vision. even though she cannot see well, she still does have enough visual input to aid her in understanding what she hears through her ci.

incidentally, in my case, my former ci audi thought my total blindness would pose difficulty for me in being able to interpret sounds around me. if anything, i found the opposite was true. due to the fact that i wasn't distracted by visual stimuli and didn't rely on looking around me for sounds (the way sighted ci users do), i was able to make sense of the sounds i heard.

from what i understand, only sophie has a ci. zoe and emma do not. if i am wrong about that, i hope someone will correct me.

nika said he saw the program. perhaps he can tell us how many of them have implants.
Unread 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #17
sara1981

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
im really love watch deaf/blind triplets baby but i cant wait but i did setup on my dvr

Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #18
dreama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
this is only speculation, but i'm guessing that sophie manages better due to her residual vision. even though she cannot see well, she still does have enough visual input to aid her in understanding what she hears through her ci.

incidentally, in my case, my former ci audi thought my total blindness would pose difficulty for me in being able to interpret sounds around me. if anything, i found the opposite was true. due to the fact that i wasn't distracted by visual stimuli and didn't rely on looking around me for sounds (the way sighted ci users do), i was able to make sense of the sounds i heard.

from what i understand, only sophie has a ci. zoe and emma do not. if i am wrong about that, i hope someone will correct me.

nika said he saw the program. perhaps he can tell us how many of them have implants.
That's interesting that you find being totally blind helps with your CI. Emma and Zoe also have CI but their's failed to work.
Unread 01-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
That's interesting that you find being totally blind helps with your CI. Emma and Zoe also have CI but their's failed to work.
what do you mean by "failed to work?" were emma and zoe able to hear environmental sounds with their ci?
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
typeingtornado19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant wait to see it.
typeingtornado19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
dreama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
what do you mean by "failed to work?" were emma and zoe able to hear environmental sounds with their ci?
I think so, but that was about it.
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #22
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi everyone,

just a reminder that the show about zoe, emma and sophie airs on the discovery channel tonight at 8 pm.

i'll be here after the program to share my impressions.
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #23
Nika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I did see it but it was a long time ago so I'm going to need a recap. I remember that one of them had CI's but I don't remember about the other two. I also remember not liking it cause they kept framing deafblindness as a tragedy. "Their worlds end where their hands can reach...they have no way of understanding the world beyond their reach..."
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nika,

it was also my understanding that sophie was the only one who had a ci. i saw the triplets on oprah some time ago and sophie had her implant at the time and if i remember correctly, she was the only one who did.
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
LakeTahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already set DVR at 11 so I will be in bed by then. I will watch it tomorrow or Friday or whenever when I am in a boredom world!
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
I did see it but it was a long time ago so I'm going to need a recap. I remember that one of them had CI's but I don't remember about the other two. I also remember not liking it cause they kept framing deafblindness as a tragedy. "Their worlds end where their hands can reach...they have no way of understanding the world beyond their reach..."
oh, brother. <eyeroll> did the narrator of the documentary actually say something like that?
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
I already set DVR at 11 so I will be in bed by then. I will watch it tomorrow or Friday or whenever when I am in a boredom world!
i'm curious. are you able to watch recorded programs on dvr over and over again? i'd love to have dvr myself, but can't because i'm totally blind and have no way of scrolling through the menus. my vcr isn't hooked up to my tv either since i don't have room for it, the digital cable box and my dvd player on the shelf of my tv stand.
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
LakeTahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! I hate to miss the show...but for my son yes..he watch it over and over! Sometimes I do but not always watch the same show twice or three times.
Quote:
i'm curious. are you able to watch recorded programs on dvr over and over again? i'd love to have dvr myself, but can't because i'm totally blind and have no way of scrolling through the menus. my vcr isn't hooked up to my tv either since i don't have room for it, the digital cable box and my dvd player on the shelf of my tv stand.
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #29
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for those of you like myself who are in the central time zone, the program is on right now.
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #30
Hear Again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoe View Post
LOL! I hate to miss the show...but for my son yes..he watch it over and over! Sometimes I do but not always watch the same show twice or three times.
that's awesome! i'll have to ask my sister about dvr and whether or not she thinks i can learn how to maneuver through the menus. like i said, my vcr isn't hooked up to my tv, so i don't have any way to record the shows i'd like to watch.