Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
YOMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Netflix streaming movies for PC- no CC?

Just curious..

have you tried downloading streaming movies for your PC or Xbox PS3 to watch movie with CC? from NETFLIX ?

I have noticed no CC at all.

YOMAN!
YOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
PowerON

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
No closed caption since it begin launch.

There is an interview with one of high staff from Netflix saying they are interest to place CC in future, but it's like test to see how people like before they leap to big step. (sigh)
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Etoile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear that they are thinking of adding it, I don't use instant play as much as I'd like because it's hard to hear. I hope they will make it possible on computers too, not just when you stream to your TV.
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
JaMafia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Netflix has ignored to Deaf community since two years for requesting closed captioning on instant watch movies.
JaMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
DarrenD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUMP

Any news on this? Have they started captioning or subtitling through the xbox or pc streams? I would like to get rid of cable and just go Netflix...but I'm not going to do it if the captions are lacking.
DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
darkage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never try Netflix, before.

What kind of cable from PC or PS3 or Xbox connect to TV? S-Video cable? HDMI cable? VGA cable?

Have you tried to call Netflix's customer service?

I just checked Netflix's website at streaming. I seem that TIVO box should be work fine with CC. Sorry, I am not familiar with PS3 and XBox
darkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Kyrissaean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use Netflix, but more of renting the DVDs instead of streaming. I do hope that they add captioning now because that would greatly benefit a lot of people.
Kyrissaean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
PowerON

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
I find it offense after the CEO of Netflix who made the comment to mention, they wouldn't launch the caption because most sites doesn't provide the streaming movies with CC. He didn't make well research to know there is hulu.com and iTunes have one.

Got Shares? (GotShares.com): Netflix's Annual Shareholder Meeting (2009)
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Netflix responded to the caption issue in its blog. While I appreciate the company’s action to deliver captions in 2010, I take issue with a few things:

Silverlight: “Reed Hastings (Netflix CEO) is on Microsoft’s Board of Directors.” No wonder why Netflix is only looking at Silverlight instead of what’s best and fastest. Heck, I captioned my own YouTube video. Also see Accessible Media Project - Home. Besides, Microsoft hasn’t implemented all of the SAMI specs.

A year? Really? Even the major TV networks caption full-episodes. Hey, Hulu even does some!
Bionic Ear Blog: Netflix and Captions

The Official Netflix Blog: Closed Captions and Subtitles
Chevy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
LDNanna
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to LDNanna
I've made it clear that I dropped netflix for all the reasons that we discussed. Then, I got bored, what to do?

I found DeaFlix, a small collection of xSL videos, trailers, and such. It has the usual guys like Keith Wann, Peter Cook, but it also has other deaf poets from Gally, YouTube and some independent works. It's pretty cool, has any one else checked it out yet?

They call it xSL because it also features international sign language such as Japanese sign language. (like i don't have enough trouble with ASL)

If you haven't yet checked it out, I hope you enjoy it.

What else it out there? Don't mention other activities, I understand about getting up off the couch, yuck! Then I might have to find where I last left the broom.....
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
Tullyswimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerON View Post
No closed caption since it begin launch.

There is an interview with one of high staff from Netflix saying they are interest to place CC in future, but it's like test to see how people like before they leap to big step. (sigh)
That's a load of bull IMO. Test to see if people like it? Really? CC is something you have to turn on, and make an effort to use, not something where if they put it on, it would permanently be on and somebody who didn't want it couldn't turn it off
(my apologies if anyone has trouble understanding it)
Tullyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
SouthFella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SouthFella Send a message via MSN to SouthFella Send a message via Yahoo to SouthFella
CC has to come through the signals.. Many times it is the jumbled signals that don't have the CC part with it . Technology is so fragmented in the USofA CC don't always come through. A while back CC wouldn't come through the HMDI cable that is used on HDTV. So the technology need to allow the CC signal to come through and be unscrambled to the TV or PC or whatever you use.
Unread 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
RonJaxon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their excuses are just that. Excuses. They are basically saying that it takes a long time to convert the "Open captioning" into subtitles. This is just simply not the truth. There are programs that do the job for you in a matter of seconds. They just gotta get off their butts and do it.

Until then I'll tell you that you can watch and TV episode or movie that you can watch on your computer with Subtitles. This includes any video format and DVD's. If you can watch it on your computer then you can watch it with subtitles.

The process is:
-Get the video.
-Find the matching subtitles.
-Open both in a video player that supports Subtitles.

Go here for methods of finding the subtitles and watch movies with them.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...pisode-cc.html

Go to this below post to find a method to watch any video online with subtitles. Even streaming videos that you can't download.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...video-yet.html

So like I said. With the above two methods you can watch any video that you can find matching subtitles for on your computer including netflix.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Ron
RonJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
zerodog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since Netflix is on USA soil and they should do what ADA expect them to do as sub title, i wonder...
Life is giving to us, we earn it by giving it. Let the dead have the immortality of fame, but the living the immortality of love - mean next child earn the life from me, because I love my child that mean lot to me will give to next little person earn the immortality of love from families.
zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
RonJaxon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it took about 20 years for the laws to be passed for all TV's to be able to display closed captioning (With a 13" screen or larger).

Right now they are working to have it passed where this law also covers internet video. Which means websites of major networks that broadcast TV episodes and movies such as NBC, ABC, FOX, etc... will have to, by law, provice captioning on their internet videos.

Let's just hope it doesn't take another 20 years to be passed.

Ron
RonJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
mariano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like their streaming selection. I will continue to use MKV's until they come up with a good HD selection streams.
mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
yagazn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried netflix streaming movies on my PC.

Yeah, no CC except foreign streaming movie with english subtitled.

I'd rather watch movie from DVD player.
yagazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
ProjectFunway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Petition

There is a new Petition against Netflix to put captions on ALL streaming content

Please sign and spread the word!!

Netflix: Provide captions on "Watch Instantly" streaming content Petition
ProjectFunway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
FishWrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Netflix streaming - no CC

I'm paying $8.95 monthly for Netflix but I'm planning to call them and see if I can get that monthly rate lowered. Why should I pay the same rate as hearing people but only have partial access where hearing have full access.
FishWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Tousi

Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWrangler View Post
I'm paying $8.95 monthly for Netflix but I'm planning to call them and see if I can get that monthly rate lowered. Why should I pay the same rate as hearing people but only have partial access where hearing have full access.
Why do you even want to accept "partial"?
Tousi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
FishWrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousi View Post
Why do you even want to accept "partial"?
I don't, this is an $8.95 free trial that will expire soon
FishWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
ncmacasl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ncmacasl Send a message via Yahoo to ncmacasl
UPDATE!! Netflix adds Captioning/Subtitle Option on the PS3 & Wii Starting October 18th. (still relies on the same limited number of titles - same as PC/Mac)

See Article: Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free, gets 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound (update) -- Engadget

All Netflix "Subtitles" work like DVD English Subtitles (bypassing the Closed Captioning chip on TVs and using its own technology to display English subtitles) With the new PS3 & Wii system upgrades (no Disk required), the option to turn subtitles on or off are on the Title Page of each title (where is shows "Start from the Beginning" "Add/Remove to Queue", etc.) On Titles with Subtitling added, there is a new button on the same line as the stars/rating/year/length called "Subtitle | Audio". Click on this to turn on Subtitles (also option to switch from spoken English to another spoken language such as Spanish, when available)

Here is a partial list of Netflix InstantWatch titles with English Subtitles (site under construction).
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #23
laura_lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for that! I was just looking to email them but thought I would stop by here first. I'm happy they are at least making a step forward
laura_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
Tom Fahy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tom fahy :: netflix dfxp repository

I am in the process of creating a Netflix Closed Caption Repository for the deaf and hard-of-hearing utilizing Josh Erickson's Subvert v.04 (Josh Erickson). New titles will be added regularly.

EVERY (!) streaming Netflix movie may be Closed Captioned NOW.

1.) From (tom fahy :: netflix dfxp repository), download your chosen .dfxp file.
2.) Start your streaming movie and press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M. The Netflix "Diagnostics" Menu will appear.
3.)Select "Load Custom DFXP File" and browse to the file downloaded from the above site.
4.) Your film will now be captioned. The listed titles have been synced with VobSub (Download).

I am able to post new titles only as I create them, so there exist a limited number, for now.

I recommend downloading Erickson's Subvert v0.4 in order to generate your own Netflix-compatible .dfxp files. You will require an existing .srt file for the chosen film which may be located here: Subscene - International Subtitles for Films and TV Series The .srt file will be converted into a Netflix-compatible .dfxp file.

If you have already generated and synced .dfxp files for Netflix Streaming Movies, feel free to send me a copy at tom.fahy@tomfahy.org and I will post the file to the repository.

Subvert v0.4 (Download)
Tom Fahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
jjj13035

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom: THANK YOU! I just followed your instructions and set this up so I could watch Groundhog Day with captions on Netflix. It worked flawlessly. I'm grateful for your work and I'm sure many others are as well.
jjj13035 is offline   Reply With Quote